Bates to resign in June

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bates to resign in June

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:18 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I imagine Jim Paquette will be a name floated as well with his ties. Similar to McLaughlin in that Loyola has no football (and idk his success hiring elsewhere) but he was here under Gene and did raise money successfully for Yawkey / overall.

Hes not an alum (think he went to PC ?) but was at BC for a long time and is at least familiar with the school and donors

I have played golf with Paquette and he is generally speaking a good guy, but if he gets the job out of Loyola then we are thoroughly fucked. Paquette has done a good job at Loyola, but his next stop, if he decides to elevate, is a MAC school or a place like Delaware or the like. There is no way you go from a school with a low-level basketball program and no football to a P5 job--even at a place as cheap and badly mismanaged as BC.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:33 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Borges also wrote a terrible article in the Herald today saying that BC needs to lower their admission standards.

He probably should have done the basics of actually finding out if indeed our admissions standards are that much different from other top schools. I have always been told they really are not that different but our shitastic coaches love having that type of rumor out there to give them an excuse for sucking. Lookup the story of Brandon Brokaw, our hands are quite dirty. :ace

to add my anecdote, my understanding is that BC's academic standards are higher than most schools, but not a complete outlier. Told they were roughly in line with other private FBS/D1 schools. that obviously adds some challenge but should not be insurmountable

This just isn't true at all. This is IB, red pill, alternative facts level wrong. The standards at BC are meet the NCAA minimums and no trouble with the law. I'm guessing the last one is flexible too.

I have heard the line: "Don't fill out your application in crayon and you will be fine."

I am a firm advocate of the idea that the admissions standards should not be an excuse, but this is not true. BC may clear a kid that shouldn't get in, or two, or five, but it is not the 29 that get cleared at Alabama or Ohio State. So I agree with you on an individual basis, picking a kid here or there, but volume, no way is it the same, not close.

So how does Harvard beat BC in basketball? Are their admission standards on a par with Alabama?

Shitty coaching bow tie. But you were being bluntly rhetorical, so whatever. Try harder.

PS Harvard admits those kids too, and doesn't have a football team worth mentioning.

I assure you that Top 20 class Amaker just pulled in is not getting into Harvard through the normal admission process.

Admission standards are a lame excuse at BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:52 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
IPS Harvard admits those kids too, and doesn't have a football team worth mentioning.

Not worth mentioning because Harvard doesn't play powerhouses such as Wagner, Buffalo, UMass and get blown out by any halfway decent team? I do not think the excuse that BC can't be Harvard during the week and Alabama on Saturdays holds water when BC would have a tough time beating Harvard on Saturdays.

i'm fairly certain that even ts slaughter could put a smack-down on harvard but we won't be able to judge that fairly until we can transitive the game between holy cross that both of us will play in 2018

also, this was a bad post, ringling brother, and you should feel bad for posting it

I could barely read it, but the gist is dumb.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
IPS Harvard admits those kids too, and doesn't have a football team worth mentioning.

Not worth mentioning because Harvard doesn't play powerhouses such as Wagner, Buffalo, UMass and get blown out by any halfway decent team? I do not think the excuse that BC can't be Harvard during the week and Alabama on Saturdays holds water when BC would have a tough time beating Harvard on Saturdays.

i'm fairly certain that even ts slaughter could put a smack-down on harvard but we won't be able to judge that fairly until we can transitive the game between holy cross that both of us will play in 2018

also, this was a bad post, ringling brother, and you should feel bad for posting it

Are you and Teddy going to get married?
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You aren't good at this.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

wrong board/thread :bored

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15282&start=3210
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I imagine Jim Paquette will be a name floated as well with his ties. Similar to McLaughlin in that Loyola has no football (and idk his success hiring elsewhere) but he was here under Gene and did raise money successfully for Yawkey / overall.

Hes not an alum (think he went to PC ?) but was at BC for a long time and is at least familiar with the school and donors

I have played golf with Paquette and he is generally speaking a good guy, but if he gets the job out of Loyola then we are thoroughly fucked. Paquette has done a good job at Loyola, but his next stop, if he decides to elevate, is a MAC school or a place like Delaware or the like. There is no way you go from a school with a low-level basketball program and no football to a P5 job--even at a place as cheap and badly mismanaged as BC.

He was here long enough to have gotten exposure to football operations. As to the hiring question, which I assume you're referring, it won't matter who they get if the admin doesn't commit. You can get someone who has multiple years of experience with a P5 football power, but it won't matter if they only have the money to look into the MAC for a HC.

I think there are too many questions marks to say anything for sure. We don't know about this apparent new BOT role and how this would work. More input from others within the university would certainly lessen the load on the AD role from essentially being a rotating door of being hired and having their job essentially depend on instantly hiring a FB coach. If Paquette can raise money for facilities and staff, he should absolutely be considered, regardless of being at Loyola, I would say same goes for McLaughlin, the football hiring fixes itself with money.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Hey cut out the middle man. Smart business stuff.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:47 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
PS Harvard admits those kids too, and doesn't have a football team worth mentioning.

No, this isnt true, there is an individual and team minimum academic index requirement for harvard (and all ivy league schools) that is more difficult than the minimum standards accepted by BC each year.

If an ESPN150 recruit wanted to play football for Harvard, Harvard would definitely fit him in somehow.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Paquette's golf game and performance on the rubber chicken circuit is the main reason he is in the mix. BC's fundraising is in shambles. Paquette knows the drill. Knows how to work a room and knows most of our biggest donors. He's not going to sit in the corner and stare at the wall like Bates. If not for his past BC experience, I would be against hiring a Loyola AD. But the fact that he worked so closely with BC football for so long negates most of that fear. And unlike his mentor GDF, Paquette is not cocky or dumb enough to think he should be the one calling plays.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:37 pm

its hilarious to hear people complain about our admission standards...rakim sanders and evan ravenel werent exactly getting nobel prizes
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Paquette's golf game and performance on the rubber chicken circuit is the main reason he is in the mix. BC's fundraising is in shambles. Paquette knows the drill. Knows how to work a room and knows most of our biggest donors. He's not going to sit in the corner and stare at the wall like Bates. If not for his past BC experience, I would be against hiring a Loyola AD. But the fact that he worked so closely with BC football for so long negates most of that fear. And unlike his mentor GDF, Paquette is not cocky or dumb enough to think he should be the one calling plays.

When did golf index become a measuring stick for being an AD in the ACC?

This is going to hurt my future chances
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:20 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:its hilarious to hear people complain about our admission standards...rakim sanders and evan ravenel werent exactly getting nobel prizes

The fact Al kept those teams academically eligible is a small miracle. The two you sighted weren't even the worst ones.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:45 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:its hilarious to hear people complain about our admission standards...rakim sanders and evan ravenel werent exactly getting nobel prizes

The fact Al kept those teams academically eligible is a small miracle. The two you sighted weren't even the worst ones.

I wonder how much of what Jagz said in the hockeyrection interview was true in re: to keeping kids in school. He made it seem like if the coaches show any interest in the kids whatsoever (i.e. keeping on them with schoolwork) that they can keep them in school (the specific reference was to Dominique Davis and how he failed out). I imagine Al had people in place (obviously a strong assistant staff but I'm sure many others) to really watch some of those guys and work with the school to keep them eligible
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Paquette is not a good golfer. I gathered that he has a back problem of some sort. So cheer up Epstein, you can still become an AD.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:28 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I wonder how much of what Jagz said in the hockeyrection interview was true in re: to keeping kids in school. He made it seem like if the coaches show any interest in the kids whatsoever (i.e. keeping on them with schoolwork) that they can keep them in school (the specific reference was to Dominique Davis and how he failed out). I imagine Al had people in place (obviously a strong assistant staff but I'm sure many others) to really watch some of those guys and work with the school to keep them eligible

We've also had some really smart kids lately, one notable one being Tyler Murphy.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:29 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Paquette is not a good golfer. I gathered that he has a back problem of some sort. So cheer up Epstein, you can still become an AD.

My boring drives down the middle and final score between 85-90 generally is not terribly exciting on the golf course
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:28 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No, this isnt true, there is an individual and team minimum academic index requirement for harvard (and all ivy league schools) that is more difficult than the minimum standards accepted by BC each year.

If an ESPN150 recruit wanted to play football for Harvard, Harvard would definitely fit him in somehow.

Its extremely rare and not analogous to anything relating to BC athletic admissions. It may happen once every few years at these schools

https://www.mka.org/uploaded/college_co ... ksheet.pdf

A friend of mine was an extremely talented non-revenue sports athlete (easily top 10 in the US as a senior) and he had a offer to attend Harvard and other ivy league schools on a "academic scholarship" (since the ivy leagues don't offer athletic scholarships). He was at best a C student in high school in extremely basic classes (algebra as a senior maybe). He ended up matriculating to Brown. If schools like Harvard, Brown, etc. were willing to do this for a non-revenue athlete then there is no doubt in my mind that they would let in a fucktarded ESPN 150 athlete.

I don't doubt that the overall acedmic quality of the football team at a place like Harvard is higher than a place like Bc which is clearly higher than a place like Penn State. But to think BC or Harvard or anyone else for that matter does sneak in fucktards here and there is :clownshoes.

P.s. It used to be back in the lates 90s that BC football athletes had to meet NCAA SAT minimums and have a good high school GPA. The higher the SAT/ACT score, the more flexibility on the GPA. If anyone had an unsatisfactory high school GPA, then the coaching staff would have to be able to convince Mahoney that said athlete was capable of and committed to graduating. Not sure how much things have change since then.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 pm

Paquette was also a huge advocate of DBS and increased parking fees in addition to having tailgating limited to not more than 4 at each tailgate.

BC AD job has been a career ending move for the last two AD's, making it likely that a Jim Paquette can get this job. I don't see any AD worth a dam accepting this job with all of Leahy's restrictions and having to survive the hiring of a new President within a few years who might want his own AD.

The facilities restrictions are very difficult to overcome especially given everything that is needed. 100% private donations, union contractors only, which doubles the cost and a lack of land to build on. This is an extremely difficult job given the lack of institutional funding and interest in developing good programs. I wish we had gotten rid of Leahy first.

There is no BOT Committee for athletics and there never will be under Leahy. The problems are only going to get worse until there is a complete overhaul of the organizational structure of BC. That change can only come from a strong BOT with an inspirational leader with deep pockets.

We need a BC grad in this job, a person that shares our passion for and belief in how good BC can be. GDF use to say that BC is pretty good for a small Catholic New England school. I don't want another outsider that only sees this as a job. I want an AD that says what Chet Gladchuk always said, "always believe in BC"!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:30 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:in addition to having tailgating limited to not more than 4 at each tailgate.

?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:56 am

I read the Borges article for the first time and readily admit that it is terribly written and a litany of observations. That said, the millennial status (i.e. living in the basement) of FB and BB cannot be denied. The more I've come to think about it, the more I think that the school needs someone who (a) knows where BC has been, (b) knows how terrible the current state is and (c) understands that dramatic (almost drastic) action is required to propel the school form its current malaise.

Based upon that, I actually think that the names most mentioned here (Boo Corrigan, Ed McLaughlin, Jim Paquette) are likely folks who are capable of fully comprehending those 3 factors. Picking a ho-hum assistant AD from central-casting is just spending another 5 years with Bates. I am certain that Leahy will ruin this like he has ruined everything he's been involved with (and... as I understand it... he is deeply involved in the search). But, while there may be better leaders... and while there is no guarantee that Corrigan/McLaughlin/Paquette would make the right hires... those three at least may be capable of understanding the dire problems. It is something that a Bates-like outsider (who is a client of an executive search firm) will take entirely too long to realize.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:19 am

HJS {l Wrote}: I am certain that Leahy will ruin this like he has ruined everything he's been involved with (and... as I understand it... he is deeply involved in the search).

Leahy is leading the search. I'm friends with a board member, not life-long buddies, but our families have socialized over the years. I asked him if he was involved in the search and he told me Leahy was leading the search alone. The board was not involved. This is a Leahy operation, as it has always been. The board does not meddle in operations.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}: I am certain that Leahy will ruin this like he has ruined everything he's been involved with (and... as I understand it... he is deeply involved in the search).

Leahy is leading the search. I'm friends with a board member, not life-long buddies, but our families have socialized over the years. I asked him if he was involved in the search and he told me Leahy was leading the search alone. The board was not involved. This is a Leahy operation, as it has always been. The board does not meddle in operations.

does your buddy live in marin county and/or have a son that wears a chef jacket with tire tracks on it?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:25 am

Well fuck it then, if Leahy's leading the search, I'll see you all in 5 years when BC sports still suck and are looking for an AD
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:47 am

no way leahy makes it 5 years. the crappy guy that's being hired will be replaced in 2 - 3 years when leahy finally moves on
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:33 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Well fuck it then, if Leahy's leading the search, I'll see you all in 5 years when BC sports still suck and are looking for an AD

From what I've been told, Leahy relies on a couple of donors as unofficial advisers, but how he much relies on them, I don't know. I don't think they are involved in the search, but they have his ear. I've always been amazed by how amateurish they do things at BC. The money involved is substantial. Hiring some pros to help navigate these things is money well spent, but that's not the BC way of doing things, at least with sports.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Well fuck it then, if Leahy's leading the search, I'll see you all in 5 years when BC sports still suck and are looking for an AD

The above
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:31 pm

West Point sells beer at their football games....bring it on Boo :clink
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:36 pm

BCEagles66 {l Wrote}:West Point sells beer at their football games....bring it on Boo :clink

BC should be giving those of us who suffer through the football and basketball games free beer.

They should hand me a 6-pack of my choice as I walk through the door.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:39 pm

Since Leahy refuses to GTFOAM, deep inside I'm wishing for him to face some untimely health issues. Is this wrong to feel this way, especially because of his status within The Church?
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium