Bates to resign in June

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bates to resign in June

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:00 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd be concerned with anyone that doesn't have exposure to running a D-1 football program. It's not even a varsity sport at VCU.

This. I don't give a shit that the VCU guy is a BC grad from Natick.

This. Couldn't care less if he has anything to do with BC or not
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:This is a big loss for BC. Anybody who celebrates this is a moron.

how so? seriously, i'm interested.

the sports teams are in the worst shape they've been in decades so he's not doing well on that front

the attendance at sporting events are the lowest they've been in memory so he's not doing well on that front

flynn fund donations have been dropping like a bowl of bottomless breadsticks at a scottsdale olive garden so he's not doing well on that front.

sure, he may be a nice guy... but that doesn't make him good at his job. if he could be the chief nice-guy officer for walmart greeter prices, id say keep him forever. when he's terrible at every measurable of his job... being a nice guy isn't enough

He carried on Coach Flip's proud tradition of keeping BC safe from bear attacks? :shrug

He also kept around a lot of Coach Flip's people which was an early indication of what we were dealing with. Guy did not or could not make any tough decisions. I guess on the surface seemed like a positive he liked having consensus and committees over the dictator before him but it turned out they were just stall tactics to not have his name attached to anything of substance. Almost everything he rolled out at the end was stuff :pickle had started before he was "retired". Really could not have had someone worse at his job for a place like BC. :ace

It's also this. If you ever dealt with BC before, there is no reason to keep around those boot-lickers.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:13 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:How the f*ck did I get minus points on the post about being happy that Bates is leaving????? Is it the cats????

You know, complaining about negative points is a negative points offense. They probably negged you in advance of your complaint.

Well, I guess that faux pas will negate my chances of EO Poster of the Year 2017. Bummer. ;)
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Bates was a bad fit from the start. What's worrisome is the process they used to make that bad hire is about to be repeated. Maybe they get lucky. My friends who are involved with fundraising say they expect the focus to be on a guy who can address the revenue issues that are becoming a serious concern.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:24 pm

With the names that are out there as a possible replacement being the exact same names as the last search this will undoubtedly end in failure. What was the search firm used last time and how were they connected to BC? I can't remember the details.

I don't think BC has named the search firm yet for this go round but it'll probably be the same guys.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:With the names that are out there as a possible replacement being the exact same names as the last search this will undoubtedly end in failure. What was the search firm used last time and how were they connected to BC? I can't remember the details.

I don't think BC has named the search firm yet for this go round but it'll probably be the same guys.

TBH, i don't have as much of a problem using a search firm for filling a role like this, or at least aiding in the process. Where I have a problem, is when someone like Bates uses one to essentially do his job like he did with Fogler/JC and apparently with Addazio (ATL just tweeted this group CSA he's going to work for helped "source" Addazio).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:With the names that are out there as a possible replacement being the exact same names as the last search this will undoubtedly end in failure. What was the search firm used last time and how were they connected to BC? I can't remember the details.

TBH, i don't have as much of a problem using a search firm for filling a role like this, or at least aiding in the process. Where I have a problem, is when someone like Bates uses one to essentially do his job like he did with Fogler/JC and apparently with Addazio (ATL just tweeted this group CSA he's going to work for helped "source" Addazio).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:45 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:...and apparently with Addazio (ATL just tweeted this group CSA he's going to work for helped "source" Addazio).

now i know how pedro feels

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
The University will embark on a national search for a successor and will engage the services of an executive search firm to assist in the process.

That's nice.

are you also assuming we'll use csa as our executive searcher... because that would totally be a bc thing to do

I was thinking this, as well.

they did help bring us ts slaughter, so you know they are a pretty good outfit

timestamp, bitches
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd be concerned with anyone that doesn't have exposure to running a D-1 football program. It's not even a varsity sport at VCU.

This. I don't give a shit that the VCU guy is a BC grad from Natick.

This. Couldn't care less if he has anything to do with BC or not

Generally this.

The last thing I want to do is give voice to the lunatic fringe known as the football alumni. Let me remind that they would've hired H. Quinton Lambert Williams as AD and Jason (fired from Elon) Swepson as head coach. HQLBWETC (who has more initials than the alphabet) seemingly hasn't been meaningfully employed in a decade... and (most critically) doesn't appear to donate to BC at all (or ever?). That isn't favoring a BC alum... that is flat-out gifting someone a job BECAUSE he is a former FB player (with no other qualifications).

That said, BC ain't poaching ADs from a Big 5 program. So, there will be compromise. Let's all recall the seemingly pristine FB resume that Buttcut showed up with (played at Michigan, 2nd in command at Vandy, AD in the MAC).

My personal belief is that there is no "correct" resume. The resume wins the press conference. That's about it. All the next AD has to do is (a) fundraise and (b) pick good head coaches. A is much easier if you are good at B. All the other stuff (e.g. supporting programs, navigating the ACC) is basically politics. We shouldn't ding any candidate because they don't have the perfectly matching experience. At least the VCU AD did a great job holding onto Shaka Smart for a couple of extra years... and seemingly did a pretty good job identifying his replacement (and I'll note he's from the pre-nerd era... so his hopes for BC is probably more in line with this board).

All that said, I liked Boo Corrigan 4-years ago and I think he's done nothing but strengthen that opinion with his coaching hires over the intervening years.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Cmon, HJS... give us the good stuff
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:12 pm

I imagine Jim Paquette will be a name floated as well with his ties. Similar to McLaughlin in that Loyola has no football (and idk his success hiring elsewhere) but he was here under Gene and did raise money successfully for Yawkey / overall.

Hes not an alum (think he went to PC ?) but was at BC for a long time and is at least familiar with the school and donors
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:How the f*ck did I get minus points on the post about being happy that Bates is leaving????? Is it the cats????

You know, complaining about negative points is a negative points offense. They probably negged you in advance of your complaint.

This. Sorry, dee, but we are equal opportunity offenders here.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Only BC would kick a guy out of his job and then hire him and his new firm to find his replacement.

:clownshoes
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:45 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:This is a big loss for BC. Anybody who celebrates this is a moron.

There is actually someone posting a defense of the bradster on facebook. Sweet Dee, she is not giving women a very good name with her incredibly awful and misguided defense. Her citing the hockey team as the premier program in the country probably shows like Brad she is in way over her head for the discussion. She is right BC absolutely has a terrible administration but he was very much part of what made it so awful. Empty suit that was in over his head is the only way to describe him. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:49 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:Bates was a bad fit from the start. What's worrisome is the process they used to make that bad hire is about to be repeated. Maybe they get lucky. My friends who are involved with fundraising say they expect the focus to be on a guy who can address the revenue issues that are becoming a serious concern.

Fix the teams and it will fix the revenue issue.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:53 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Only BC would kick a guy out of his job and then hire him and his new firm to find his replacement.

Is that actually confirmed? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Only BC would kick a guy out of his job and then hire him and his new firm to find his replacement.

i do not believe it is confirmed but it is generally assumed... the powers that be will see the success that csa had in identifying and bringing on board program savior thinskin catsupdunker and therefore wonder how anyone could argue that they are a perfect fit.

i will say that if they hire those jackasses to find buttcut's replacement, the flynn fund will never get another dollar from me as long as i live
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:03 pm

You can also all laugh but Doug Flutie should at least be in consideration. I'm pretty sure he'd raise money like crazy. The coaching hires would scare me a little though
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

i do not believe it is confirmed but it is generally assumed... the powers that be will see the success that csa had in identifying and bringing on board program savior thinskin catsupdunker and therefore wonder how anyone could argue that they are a perfect fit.

i will say that if they hire those jackasses to find buttcut's replacement, the flynn fund will never get another dollar from me as long as i live

There is literally zero reason to hire these search firms unless you're just lazy
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

There is literally zero reason to hire these search firms unless you're just lazy

says the guy who's employer is paid by companies too lazy to fix the problems that his organization also does not fix (but charges a fortune for)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I think they do it so they can deny responsibility if the hire sucks.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I think they do it so they can deny responsibility if the hire sucks.

That is exactly why the bradster did it. His predecessor did not do such things which is why at first Brad looked like he was the perfect choice. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:17 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:You can also all laugh but Doug Flutie should at least be in consideration. I'm pretty sure he'd raise money like crazy. The coaching hires would scare me a little though

This is actually a good point from a fundraising standpoint. Im sure there would be a way around the hiring issue if it were to happen (BOT committee to help).

Again, when money is infused into the system, and you aren't held back by what you can pay, it makes the process much easier and lessens the reliance on flinging MAC pieces of shit against the wall to see what sticks.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

says the guy who's employer is paid by companies too lazy to fix the problems that his organization also does not fix (but charges a fortune for)

When did accounting become such a glamorous position?

As far as my situation, the managers at these places don't want to take responsibility for firing the idiots at their company so they let me do it
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:35 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:You can also all laugh but Doug Flutie should at least be in consideration. I'm pretty sure he'd raise money like crazy. The coaching hires would scare me a little though

This is actually a good point from a fundraising standpoint. Im sure there would be a way around the hiring issue if it were to happen (BOT committee to help).

Again, when money is infused into the system, and you aren't held back by what you can pay, it makes the process much easier and lessens the reliance on flinging MAC pieces of shit against the wall to see what sticks.

Donors would love access to Flutie and he'd be incredible at fundraising.

The rest of the job I have no idea (mostly because I don't understand what an AD actually does).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:51 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:There is literally zero reason to hire these search firms unless you're just lazy

Search firms can serve valuable services... it's all in how they are used. They can be helpful in doing background checks to make sure a coach has graduated and doesn't have a sexual assault claim in his history. Search firms can also do things like quietly check interest for coaches you've identified. And, they can start negotiating a framework of the deal. However, where they suck and generally fail miserably is when a school goes to them asking for candidates. That's when shit falls apart and you wind up hiring Jim Christian.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:There is literally zero reason to hire these search firms unless you're just lazy

Search firms can serve valuable services... it's all in how they are used. They can be helpful in doing background checks to make sure a coach has graduated and doesn't have a sexual assault claim in his history. Search firms can also do things like quietly check interest for coaches you've identified. And, they can start negotiating a framework of the deal. However, where they suck and generally fail miserably is when a school goes to them asking for candidates. That's when shit falls apart and you wind up hiring Jim Christian.

or steve addazio
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

BC doesn't have the resources to background check candidates?

If the search firm is doing the above then what exactly is the AD doing? Picking out his new condo over at the Waterworks and playing golf?

The way BC uses these search firms is lazy
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:39 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

As far as my situation, the managers at these places don't want to take responsibility for firing the idiots at their company so they let me do it

So which guy are you?

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

So which guy are you?

I'd be retired by now if I got $1 every time someone referenced that or House of Lies. House of Lies looks really fun, it's a shame that's nothing like consulting.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium