Bates to resign in June

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bates to resign in June

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:33 pm

It's 70% for the worst conference games, like Wake. It's not 70% for UMass, the annual CAA game, Howard and the like. Maybe we get 60% for the MAC games
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It's 70% for the worst conference games, like Wake. It's not 70% for UMass, the annual CAA game, Howard and the like. Maybe we get 60% for the MAC games

That feels way too high still.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:39 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It's 70% for the worst conference games, like Wake. It's not 70% for UMass, the annual CAA game, Howard and the like. Maybe we get 60% for the MAC games

That feels way too high still.

especially in your section
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:49 pm

It's a very small stadium that is why a 30% vacancy looks really bad on TV. Some games are at 85% capacity and SC was over 90%.

70% = 31,150
80% = 35,600
90% = 40,050
95% = 42,275

A lot of season ticket holders reduced the number of season tickets they had when DBS started creating a significant portion of this vacancy. I would let every donor buy back those seats without charging them additional DBS fees. I would also give them an additional parking pass in one of the garages with every 4 additional season tickets purchased. I would also offer a free parking pass with every 4 season tickets purchased by new season ticket holders in the new Hammond Pond Parkway location and have shuttle bus service to the stadium and full tailgating privileges. College football is not a hard sell, BC just makes it hard on themselves.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:59 pm

wait - you're yukonning it, aren't you

you are saying 70% of the tickets sold, not 70% of asses in the seats. i can agree with that since they count all the fucking nerds - even the ones that don't go pick up their tickets
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 pm

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:19 pm

The lower bowl sells well and that holds about 27-28,000 seats. You can't judge fan interest based on games against Howard, Maine and MAC teams. The last two years in addition to the team being boring, the OOC schedule has been really bad. There's definitely interest in BC football averaging at least 70% of capacity. The bigger story is how do you not sell out for 6-7 games a year in a small stadium in a densely populated area? We're not talking 70-80k, 44,500 is not that hard to sell out.

Basketball is only 50% full and sometimes less, but with only 4 ACC home games and sometimes a decent OOC game, there are limited opportunities to see major college football in this area. Spaz & Daz and over priced DBS and parking fees created the loss of fan interest and empty seats. A decent coach and reduced DBS fees and additional affordable parking and the stadium will fill up again. It will be career sucide for the new AD not to enact the suggestions I listed and everyone has stated are needed to fill up the stadium. 30% plus vacancies and the new AD will be looking for a new career like the old AD!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Remove DBS from basketball and I would buy 2 season tickets right now even with as God awful as that team is. Charge me like $300-$350 per season ticket.

There is no way I'm paying $750 a seat around the free throw line just for the right to buy the tickets for that God awful product.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:You can't judge fan interest based on games against Howard, Maine and MAC teams!

Sure you can. That's an ideal schedule for thinskin
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 pm

I have zero sympathy for AD's making $700,000 and coaches making 2.5 million who don't know their ass from their elbow. Padding the schedule to justify keeping a horrible coach and then not being able to figure out why interest has plummeted is fucking pathetic.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I have zero sympathy for AD's making $700,000 and coaches making 2.5 million who don't know their ass from their elbow. Padding the schedule to justify keeping a horrible coach and then not being able to figure out why interest has plummeted is fucking pathetic.

You don't say. Keen obvervation
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:21 pm

That's why it's perplexing that you are advocating for Paquette.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:29 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:That's why it's perplexing that you are advocating for Paquette.

No one is doing that. I didn't even know who he was. I just think you are fucking retarded.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:That's why it's perplexing that you are advocating for Paquette.

No one is doing that. I didn't even know who he was. I just think you are fucking retarded.

I bet he prefers elvis's "my way"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby bcshater on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:35 pm

From today's globe and Dan Shaughnessy:

Boston College is looking for an athletic director in the wake of the failed five-year regime of Brad Bates, who was never a good fit for the job. Despite BC’s historic levels of losing in revenue sports in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the AD job is a much-coveted position and the Eagles’ search committee will have no shortage of capable applicants. Virginia Commonwealth AD Ed McLaughlin (BC, ’95) is a logical fit and other names being kicked around include UCLA senior associate AD Chris Iacoi (BC ’01), Kennesaw State AD Vaughn Williams, Army AD Boo Corrigan, and Villanova AD Mark Jackson. There’s consideration for letting one of the veteran Eagle coaches/administrators (Barry Gallup, Jerry York, John Kane) hold down the fort for a few years. A guy the Eagles would do well to consider is former BC baseball coach Peter Hughes. Currently the baseball coach at Oklahoma, Hughes is from Brockton, went to BC High, and knows just about everybody in the BC athletic department from his nine years as the baseball boss. Hughes is 49 and would be able to shower some love on estranged alums who are angry about what has happened to football and basketball. There is no reason for BC to be this bad in the big-time sports. It’s a white-hot school in the eyes of high school kids around the country and the admissions department is not as Ivy League-strict as Eagles apologists would like you to believe. What’s sad is that BC football and basketball have become downright irrelevant in the last decade while the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins are bigger than ever. We are always going to be a pro sports town, but Boston College can still get a small slice of the local sports pie if the Eagles can get football (11-29 in the ACC in the last five years) and basketball (17-72) back to the levels we witnessed during the Jack Bicknell, Tom Coughlin, Tom O’Brien, Jim O’Brien, and Al Skinner years.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:42 pm

bcshater {l Wrote}:From today's globe and Dan Shaughnessy:

Boston College is looking for an athletic director in the wake of the failed five-year regime of Brad Bates, who was never a good fit for the job. Despite BC’s historic levels of losing in revenue sports in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the AD job is a much-coveted position and the Eagles’ search committee will have no shortage of capable applicants. Virginia Commonwealth AD Ed McLaughlin (BC, ’95) is a logical fit and other names being kicked around include UCLA senior associate AD Chris Iacoi (BC ’01), Kennesaw State AD Vaughn Williams, Army AD Boo Corrigan, and Villanova AD Mark Jackson. There’s consideration for letting one of the veteran Eagle coaches/administrators (Barry Gallup, Jerry York, John Kane) hold down the fort for a few years. A guy the Eagles would do well to consider is former BC baseball coach Peter Hughes. Currently the baseball coach at Oklahoma, Hughes is from Brockton, went to BC High, and knows just about everybody in the BC athletic department from his nine years as the baseball boss. Hughes is 49 and would be able to shower some love on estranged alums who are angry about what has happened to football and basketball. There is no reason for BC to be this bad in the big-time sports. It’s a white-hot school in the eyes of high school kids around the country and the admissions department is not as Ivy League-strict as Eagles apologists would like you to believe. What’s sad is that BC football and basketball have become downright irrelevant in the last decade while the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins are bigger than ever. We are always going to be a pro sports town, but Boston College can still get a small slice of the local sports pie if the Eagles can get football (11-29 in the ACC in the last five years) and basketball (17-72) back to the levels we witnessed during the Jack Bicknell, Tom Coughlin, Tom O’Brien, Jim O’Brien, and Al Skinner years.

who is surprised you posted an article that shat on bc?

i am not
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby bcshater on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:25 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

who is surprised you posted an article that shat on bc?

i am not

Given that why don't you start a campaign to keep Bates as AD? This is not an anti-BC article but more of an article identifying possible AD candidates.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Nothing Shaughnessy wrote was wrong. In fact, it was a rare optimistic BC piece on how our suckitude is insanely stupid. Further, while I am certainly not a fan of half of the names mentioned in the article, I would say nearly all are better than the shit I've heard we looked at (and whom we will likely hire).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Two of these names I am very familiar with on a personal level.
Both love BC and want it to succeed in sports. However, I don't think either would make much progress as long as Leahy is here. That said, I am surprised that both names are mentioned but for different reasons.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Shaughnessy knows about as much about BC as no space knows about the Constitution
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:11 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Two of these names I am very familiar with on a personal level.
Both love BC and want it to succeed in sports. However, I don't think either would make much progress as long as Leahy is here. That said, I am surprised that both names are mentioned but for different reasons.

which one made you kick the hold in the wall in edmonds?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:45 pm

First... nothing changes with BC athletics until the guy solely deciding who to hire for AD is no longer making such decisions.

Second... I watched some college BB today for the first time in a while. Texas-Baylor was less than 50% full... the highlights they kept showing from their first match-up showed Baylor's arena equally barren. Neither is the wasteland that The Morgue is... but, I seriously doubt that we will ever again see Conte like it was in the mid-90s. There seems to have been a fundamental change when it comes to entertainment time and dollars and college BB seems to have been a prime victim.

Finally... not really for the AD thread, but after catching the pieces of 5 or so games today... I can honestly say that the quality of BB being played is fucking terrible. Watched almost all of the Florida-Vandy game (Vandy is a bubble team and Florida is ranked 12). The product is simply really bad. Super-close-back-and-forth-down-to-the-wire game with post-season implications... and it was pretty effing boring. Lots of terrible decisions... blown lay-ups... crap D... missed foul shots. No wonder top draft picks in the NBA Draft are viewed more as an albatross than an asset. BB is at a crisis. NBA has been terrible for some time... and there doesn't seem to be any new talent on the horizon. The current 1-year indentured servitude isn't helping the NBA or the kids and it is affirmatively hurting college hoops. In some ways, a school like BC could thrive in such an atmosphere (by playing smart, disciplined BB and by recruiting kids kids who are just off the Elite's radar... but can be developed).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:43 am

Excellent point about the NBA screwing itself by taking kids after just one year of school. There are exceptions to everything, but in totality taking kids after just one year has proven to be a failure for the NBA if your counting the quality of basketball being played.

What the fuck is DS talking about getting a current employee to hold down the fort for a few years (lmfao)! He actually gets paid to write this shit!

One would think that the Trustees are making this hire not essentially a lame duck president. After losing tens of millions of dollars handing out contracts to completely incompetent coaches and giving the AD almost complete autonomy to empty out the venues, one would think the trustees would be setting up a new organizational structure giving the trustees significant control over major personnel decisions in the athletic department. Why would they let Leahy hand out another 5 year contract to an AD who will hand out two more 5 year contracts (football & hoops) when Leahy will be gone within two years? This is their chance to gain control over this mess and put in a new system that the new president will have to abide by. Why wait to essentially have to negotiate with a new president and have to potentially fire an AD and 2 major coaches yet again?
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Second... I watched some college BB today for the first time in a while. Texas-Baylor was less than 50% full... the highlights they kept showing from their first match-up showed Baylor's arena equally barren. Neither is the wasteland that The Morgue is... but, I seriously doubt that we will ever again see Conte like it was in the mid-90s. There seems to have been a fundamental change when it comes to entertainment time and dollars and college BB seems to have been a prime victim.

Not entirely wrong but Baylor has some other extenuating circumstances that feed into this I'd think.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:19 pm

I'd be very surprised if the BOT let Leahy hire this one himself. As mentioned above, Leahy had cost BC $10+ million not even including the massive buyout they are going to pay Daz after this year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:55 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'd be very surprised if the BOT let Leahy hire this one himself. As mentioned above, Leahy had cost BC $10+ million not even including the massive buyout they are going to pay Daz after this year.

Not to crush any dreams of the BOT riding in and rescuing BC sports, Leahy is 100% in charge of this process. The BOT "letting" Leahy do something shows a fundamental disconnect on how BC is run. Leahy runs BC for better or worse. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 am

That is absolutely true about Leahy running the show, but if the Trustees do not step in this time for all of the reasons stated, then it's clear that they also have no interest in sports. I don't see any smart person taking the AD job under the current structure. We might luck out if Leahy hires a BC grad who is willing to put up with him and who is confident the new president will keep him. It's been a career ending job for the last two Athletic Directors.

When Leahy hires the next stiff the discussion of how best to downsize the athletic department will be a top priority in order to eliminate the deficit.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:41 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:That is absolutely true about Leahy running the show, but if the Trustees do not step in this time for all of the reasons stated, then it's clear that they also have no interest in sports. I don't see any smart person taking the AD job under the current structure. We might luck out if Leahy hires a BC grad who is willing to put up with him and who is confident the new president will keep him. It's been a career ending job for the last two Athletic Directors.

When Leahy hires the next stiff the discussion of how best to downsize the athletic department will be a top priority in order to eliminate the deficit.

Oh dear backwards accounting here we come.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:59 am

Scholarships cost BC $60 brazillion dollars, after all, and that's much cheaper at a state school.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:41 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Scholarships cost BC $60 brazillion dollars, after all, and that's much cheaper at a state school.

Addazio's inability to declare redshirts by the deadline has cost the athletic department quite a bit of cold hard cash, my sources within the school tell me. When the redshirt is declared the ACC returns the scholarship money to the school (or shreds the relevant check, as the timing may be), which can then be spent on such amenities as stadium upgrades.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium