Bates to resign in June

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bates to resign in June

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:35 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I had two big tailgates (Thursday night game and the AFC CG), no problem getting to and from Gillette, in fact it's easier than trying to get to a BC hoop game on a Saturday afternoon. Awesome atsmosphere and the stadium is packed at kickoff because the team is worth watching unlike BC. The tickets are expensive but the parking is cheap, another reason why people make kickoff. At BC the parking is expensive, but the tickets are cheap, maybe that's why people are still tailgating at kickoff (lol)!

Alumni with a first class renovation including new luxury boxes, club seats, larger video replay boards, beer sales, etc would attract a lot more fans. Bring a good portion of the tailgating inside (club seats) and the stadium will fill up, even at kickoff. Basically, give fans a reason to enjoy the stadium 3 hours before kickoff.

This is all fantasy land shit. The only reason traffic wouldn't look like this for BC games is that no one would be there. Traffic wasn't good for the UMass game and it was empty. Traffic sucks ass when they close the upper bowl for soccer. It's a shitty place to drive to a game period.

The traffic is horrible getting to Gillette from anywhere.

except for those travelling from a gumdrop house on lollipop lane; where the corners are filled in, the stadium beer flows like wine and people show up to stuff without asking any questions just because there are shiny things there

I love the UMass game down there, but one is plenty.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:44 pm

I'd go to the game (again) if BC played @ Arizona, @ UCLA, @ USC, or @ ASU. I don't care about how bad the traffic, tailgating, or parking is.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:31 pm

I've been to one Pats game on MNF. They were destroying the Texans through Q3, as they are wont to do whenever they play a non-Tony Banks led Texans squad, which then requires OT, so we left. With a little bit of traffic it took me about 1-1.5 hours to get back to my humble abode on the other side of the river. Given my girlfriend has family that lives in Walpole so I guess we could stay there, but I have minimal desire to head down to Gillette for pretty much anything, let alone several times a year in the fall.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Let's see this boards logic, the Pats sell out every game, they have cheap parking, plenty of tailgating and a great stadium. BC did not sell out a single game, has expensive parking and extremely expensive and difficult tailgating rules and a mediocre stadium , but BC is preferred destination over Gillette????

OMG ladies if you have to sit in traffic to get to a big football game! Ladies step up from your Ivy League safe zone and experience major college football. Do Real fans use traffic as an excuse not to go to a big game? Of course if you learn your way around Gillette you can avoid a lot of traffic.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Let's see this boards logic, the Pats sell out every game, they have cheap parking, plenty of tailgating and a great stadium. BC did not sell out a single game, has expensive parking and extremely expensive and difficult tailgating rules and a mediocre stadium , but BC is preferred destination over Gillette????

OMG ladies if you have to sit in traffic to get to a big football game! Ladies step up from your Ivy League safe zone and experience major college football. Do Real fans use traffic as an excuse not to go to a big game? Of course if you learn your way around Gillette you can avoid a lot of traffic.

Real fans don't go to Pats games anymore.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Let's see this boards logic, the Pats sell out every game, they have cheap parking, plenty of tailgating and a great stadium. BC did not sell out a single game, has expensive parking and extremely expensive and difficult tailgating rules and a mediocre stadium , but BC is preferred destination over Gillette????

Yes. Getting to BC is probably easier than getting to Gillette for anybody that doesn't live outside 95 and I value my time at a decent hourly rate, so I would argue BC still comes ahead.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:13 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Yes. Getting to BC is probably easier than getting to Gillette for anybody that doesn't live outside 95 and I value my time at a decent hourly rate, so I would argue BC still comes ahead.

Also, I am part of the BC, not Kraft, family.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Gillette is a bitch.
I went there for a USMNT soccer game that didn't even count for anything and it took forever to get the fuck out of there. And the stadium wasn't even full. I avoid that place like the plague.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:38 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I'd go to the game (again) if BC played @ Arizona, @ UCLA, @ USC, or @ ASU. I don't care about how bad the traffic, tailgating, or parking is.

How was that clam bake by the way
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:40 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I'd go to the game (again) if BC played @ Arizona, @ UCLA, @ USC, or @ ASU. I don't care about how bad the traffic, tailgating, or parking is.

my bet is that it was chock full of marital rape
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:39 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

it was good
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:09 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Finally... not really for the AD thread, but after catching the pieces of 5 or so games today... I can honestly say that the quality of BB being played is fucking terrible. Watched almost all of the Florida-Vandy game (Vandy is a bubble team and Florida is ranked 12). The product is simply really bad. Super-close-back-and-forth-down-to-the-wire game with post-season implications... and it was pretty effing boring. Lots of terrible decisions... blown lay-ups... crap D... missed foul shots. No wonder top draft picks in the NBA Draft are viewed more as an albatross than an asset. BB is at a crisis. NBA has been terrible for some time... and there doesn't seem to be any new talent on the horizon. The current 1-year indentured servitude isn't helping the NBA or the kids and it is affirmatively hurting college hoops. In some ways, a school like BC could thrive in such an atmosphere (by playing smart, disciplined BB and by recruiting kids kids who are just off the Elite's radar... but can be developed).

Perhaps no greater example of this was last night's Final Four game. 8 seconds left... UNC up 1. Heels miss 4 straight free throws but hold onto win because Oregon fails to box-out... TWICE.

Just atrocious basketball being played from the NBA down.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Oregon fell asleep on those free throws. I'm rooting for Gonzaga against the cheaters. We have a small Jesuit school in the championship game and a big Jesuit school with 2 ACC wins in 2 years!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:25 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Finally... not really for the AD thread, but after catching the pieces of 5 or so games today... I can honestly say that the quality of BB being played is fucking terrible. Watched almost all of the Florida-Vandy game (Vandy is a bubble team and Florida is ranked 12). The product is simply really bad. Super-close-back-and-forth-down-to-the-wire game with post-season implications... and it was pretty effing boring. Lots of terrible decisions... blown lay-ups... crap D... missed foul shots. No wonder top draft picks in the NBA Draft are viewed more as an albatross than an asset. BB is at a crisis. NBA has been terrible for some time... and there doesn't seem to be any new talent on the horizon. The current 1-year indentured servitude isn't helping the NBA or the kids and it is affirmatively hurting college hoops. In some ways, a school like BC could thrive in such an atmosphere (by playing smart, disciplined BB and by recruiting kids kids who are just off the Elite's radar... but can be developed).

Perhaps no greater example of this was last night's Final Four game. 8 seconds left... UNC up 1. Heels miss 4 straight free throws but hold onto win because Oregon fails to box-out... TWICE.

I agree pretty much across the board, the quality of the product at both levels is all time bad. The NBA has devolved into pick and roll isolation with the other three guys camped out on the 3-point line waiting to chuck.

Though the Celtics are playing fun basketball - defense, hustle, depth, team play, ball movement etc. But even they rely on pick and roll isolation when the game is on the line, and they shoot as many threes as most of the rest.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree pretty much across the board, the quality of the product at both levels is all time bad. The NBA has devolved into pick and roll isolation with the other three guys camped out on the 3-point line waiting to chuck.

Though the Celtics are playing fun basketball - defense, hustle, depth, team play, ball movement etc. But even they rely on pick and roll isolation when the game is on the line, and they shoot as many threes as most of the rest.

The easiest cure at this point is to get rid of the 3-pointer. Or... make shots from the paint worth 3. When I watch the NBA, they play with the same speed (and with less passion) as an over-40 rec league. They walk up the court... spin around the perimeter until some jacks-up a shot. The defense lags back and waits for an uncontested rebound. Occasionally, someone basket-hangs and you get to see a layup. NBA has slowly been killing basketball since they effed with the rules to maximize Jordan. Now... it's completely killed off. While he seems like a good guy and is marvel to watch in pregame warm-ups... the fact that Stephen Curry is a superstar is evidence of the NBA's rotting corpse.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The easiest cure at this point is to get rid of the 3-pointer. Or... make shots from the paint worth 3. When I watch the NBA, they play with the same speed (and with less passion) as an over-40 rec league. They walk up the court... spin around the perimeter until some jacks-up a shot. The defense lags back and waits for an uncontested rebound. Occasionally, someone basket-hangs and you get to see a layup. NBA has slowly been killing basketball since they effed with the rules to maximize Jordan. Now... it's completely killed off. While he seems like a good guy and is marvel to watch in pregame warm-ups... the fact that Stephen Curry is a superstar is evidence of the NBA's rotting corpse.

You should watch Isaiah Thomas. The kid can penetrate like no one since Tiny Archibald. He makes some incredible shots going to the basket.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:49 am

In case anyone still has interest in this topic, I hear that they expect to have someone hired in the next two weeks. Apparently Leahy set a deadline of April 30th so that means the committee doing the first round of vetting has a deadline of Easter to come up with the finalists. The guy who told me this says he has not heard any names that he recognizes, so I took that to mean none of the people mentioned in the press are options.

He said the names will probably leak out after Easter.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:03 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:In case anyone still has interest in this topic, I hear that they expect to have someone hired in the next two weeks. Apparently Leahy set a deadline of April 30th so that means the committee doing the first round of vetting has a deadline of Easter to come up with the finalists. The guy who told me this says he has not heard any names that he recognizes, so I took that to mean none of the people mentioned in the press are options.

April announcement is consistent with what I heard (and posted). However, again, there is no effing committee. This is a Leahy and two others with whom he consults. That's it. The only deadlines are those Bill is giving himself. Similarly, the only recommendation he is receiving is his own. I don't expect leaks because Bill ain't talking to the press. The only time we will get an accurate leak is when the BOT is informed of the choice (less than 24-hours from the time she is hired).

One caveat... if the choice is employed in a prominent position elsewhere, it is possible that the name could reach the media from that side. However, (a) that is nothing BC can control and (b) I don't think the hire will be significantly prominent such that their potential leaving would be newsworthy.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:04 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:In case anyone still has interest in this topic, I hear that they expect to have someone hired in the next two weeks. Apparently Leahy set a deadline of April 30th so that means the committee doing the first round of vetting has a deadline of Easter to come up with the finalists. The guy who told me this says he has not heard any names that he recognizes, so I took that to mean none of the people mentioned in the press are options.

April announcement is consistent with what I heard (and posted). However, again, there is no effing committee. This is a Leahy and two others with whom he consults. That's it. The only deadlines are those Bill is giving himself. Similarly, the only recommendation he is receiving is his own. I don't expect leaks because Bill ain't talking to the press. The only time we will get an accurate leak is when the BOT is informed of the choice (less than 24-hours from the time she is hired).

One caveat... if the choice is employed in a prominent position elsewhere, it is possible that the name could reach the media from that side. However, (a) that is nothing BC can control and (b) I don't think the hire will be significantly prominent such that their potential leaving would be newsworthy.

This is a classic HJS post - content and caveats.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:04 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:Apparently Leahy set a deadline of April 30th so that means the committee doing the first round of vetting has a deadline of Easter to come up with the finalists.

2 years from now: Why did we hire this idiot?

"Well, we could have waited for someone good but they couldn't commit to the job by April 30th so we got this guy...Chad Chates instead."
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 am

We all know it will be an atrocious hire. The only question is whether it will be a horrible male, female or transgendered hire?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:13 pm

The whole BC operation under Leahy is Hilarious! Just like building a 1,000 seat baseball stadium!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

it's missing a reference to leahy being gay but other than that, i'd agree
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

it's missing a reference to leahy being gay but other than that, i'd agree
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:00 pm

People need to stop posting these bullshit deadlines if they're never going to come back and own up to it when they're wrong, which is all the time.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:57 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:People need to stop posting these bullshit deadlines if they're never going to come back and own up to it when they're wrong, which is all the time.

What are you going to do if they don't own up to it outside of express scorn?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagletx on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:28 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Noted you said "she".
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:49 am

I have referenced that as often as I have the good father's penchant for buggery. I was told of 3 candidates (none who have been mentioned here or in the press). They all are massively underwhelming. The favorite seemed to be a female Compliance Officer. The chick part didn't bother me nearly as much as the lack of any meaningful hiring or fundraising experience. Essentially... Bill somehow found a candidate less qualified than buttcut. Accordingly (given Leahy's desire to permanently Geoghan BC athletics (and the BOT's tacit approval of the same), I am giving the rumored name more credencence than I otherwise would.
Last edited by HJS on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:53 am

One of the best parts of this site is how people argue when their fantasy of what Leahy is "really" like disagrees slightly with other peoples' fantasy of what Leahy is "really" like.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:00 am

I have heard it is essentially down to two. One has been mentioned here, one has not. The woman that was/is being considered has fallen behind due to lack of real fundraising experience.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium