Bates to resign in June

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bates to resign in June

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:58 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:My only point is said lots are never full of cars. For a majority of games they're maybe 50% full and bigger games closer to 75%.

Very true, especially the spaces between the Plex & Maloney.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:24 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:My only point is said lots are never full of cars. For a majority of games they're maybe 50% full and bigger games closer to 75%.

That's likely because the people who can afford the donations that grant them prime parking also can afford to not bother attending. The last 3 or 4 years before I gave up season tickets, I maybe made 2 games a year. While I made sure that my seats and parking were used for each game by sending them off to friends... I wouldn't at all be surprised that others who were similarly situated didn't bother doing the same.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:25 am

There are plenty of parking spaces available on Shea Field and in both garages. They moved everyone from the old law school (now site of the new dorm) to fill up Robsham. There are rows upon rows of empty seats in the DBS sections in football and hoops.

All of this is bad not just because of the empty seats and parking spaces, but because they now have too small of a customer base. They have completely shut out young, non alum fans and their customer base is getting old. It's not easy replacing a customer that gives up 4 seats and a 5k parking spot. Do you really think BC will offer $30 game day parking at the new Hammond Pond Parkway property and allow tailgating to attract some young fans? It would be a good start, but no way it happens. It will be a half empty over priced donor lot.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

TRE always finds a way to squeeze into the narrow space between Plex and Maloney. I wish campion would stop inviting Maloney to the tailgate, the cops always lurk like vultures when that weirdo and his yogurt cooler are around, ready to write indecent exposure tickets and get the EO tailgate thrown out of the ACC.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:29 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

TRE always finds a way to squeeze into the narrow space between Plex and Maloney. I wish campion would stop inviting Maloney to the tailgate, the cops always lurk like vultures when that weirdo and his yogurt cooler are around, ready to write indecent exposure tickets and get the EO tailgate thrown out of the ACC.

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:There are plenty of parking spaces available on Shea Field and in both garages. They moved everyone from the old law school (now site of the new dorm) to fill up Robsham. There are rows upon rows of empty seats in the DBS sections in football and hoops.

All of this is bad not just because of the empty seats and parking spaces, but because they now have too small of a customer base. They have completely shut out young, non alum fans and their customer base is getting old. It's not easy replacing a customer that gives up 4 seats and a 5k parking spot. Do you really think BC will offer $30 game day parking at the new Hammond Pond Parkway property and allow tailgating to attract some young fans? It would be a good start, but no way it happens. It will be a half empty over priced donor lot.

Lower Brighton works fine for me and it's like $150 a season. The exercise is nice after sitting for 4 hours.

They should allow tailgating there
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:There are plenty of parking spaces available on Shea Field and in both garages. They moved everyone from the old law school (now site of the new dorm) to fill up Robsham. There are rows upon rows of empty seats in the DBS sections in football and hoops.

Besides the roof of the Beacon St garage, the garages are not premium spots. The fire department does not allow them to use every spot of the Beacon St garage. I do not know if all of the available spots are allocated.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Then why charge $1,500 for Comm Ave and $3,500 for Beacon St garages? They are banking parking spaces and seats waiting for new donors to show up.

Of course they should allow full tailgating privileges on lower Brighton! The restrictions on tailgating have driven fans away as well. The other option is too just cut a deal with Kraft and move the games to Gillette. I know people will complain for many legit reasons to keep the games on campus, but BC really does not want the tailgating that goes with football and they have zero plans to upgrade the stadium. Gillette has endless tailgating options, affordable parking, club seats, luxury boxes, awesome replay boards, bars and restaurants within walking distance, etc. Put a decent team on the field and fans will turn out.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:43 pm

playing every game in foxboro is retarded and using it as a potential to draw more fans is retardeder

the fucking nerds won't walk 30 yards to watch the product, what makes you think they would drive 30 miles?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:playing every game in foxboro is retarded and using it as a potential to draw more fans is retardeder

the fucking nerds won't walk 30 yards to watch the product, what makes you think they would drive 30 miles?

This. kids won't go 7 miles to Rosemont to watch DePaul college basketball in Chicago, which is why building a new arena in the city will be such a boost to that program.

At this point, I think it's likely that BC is in the basement of the ACC, and badly, for the next 5+ years.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:playing every game in foxboro is retarded and using it as a potential to draw more fans is retardeder

This. kids won't go 7 miles to Rosemont to watch DePaul college basketball in Chicago, which is why building a new arena in the city will be such a boost to that program.

At this point, I think it's likely that BC is in the basement of the ACC, and badly, for the next 5+ years.

sorry - should have clarified, this refers to basketball. For football, I think we will be solidly mediocre every year that daz coaches with 7-6, 8-5 as the ceiling.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:46 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

sorry - should have clarified, this refers to basketball. For football, I think we will be solidly mediocre every year that daz coaches with 7-6, 8-5 as the ceiling.

10-22 in conference play is the bottom of the basement in acc...

yes - but we're about to turn the corner. didn't you notice how awesomtacular we were at the oline and throw game last year *fart*
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm not counting on the students to go to Gillette in big numbers, but they did show up in decent numbers for the 2 UMass games. I'm only talking about moving the ACC games and big OOC games, not the MAC games. I would be in favor of alternating the SU game between Fenway and Yankee stadium Thanksgiving weekend. 4-5 games at Gillette, 2 on campus and one every other year at Fenway.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:19 pm

either all games are in alumni or you destroy alumni. it takes up too big a footprint for 6 or 7 days a year of usage... 2 or 3 days a year is eaglekeeper dumb
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Ah shit, eagledumbass broke out an old chestnut to double down. Missed a good posting day
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Ah shit, eagledumbass broke out an old chestnut to double down. Missed a good posting day

As usual the above is correct
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Ah shit, eagledumbass broke out an old chestnut to double down. Missed a good posting day

As usual the above is correct

and i'm the one that's being accused of marrying tedwardo. seriously, have you all forgotten about the action shot of these two at a football game?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:07 pm

The bubble provides everyday use for 4 months, in addition it will always be needed as a practice field. You need the leverage of moving all of the games back to Alumni when dealing with Kraft. Of course if football attendance did better than expected at Gillette, Kraft would not want to lose the business.

Many on this board are already complaining of high ticket prices and of course high parking fees. With zero luxury seating at BC, the cost per ticket will continue to increase to keep up with increasing coaching salaries. 44,500 bench seats is not going to generate enough revenue to keep up in the ACC. The whole point of club seats and luxury boxes is to generate more revenue per seat allowing for reasonably priced seats in other sections. It will not be long before parking fees increase again, lower Brighton could easily be increased to $500 and then $1,000. The garages use to be free with the purchase of 4 season tickets. They need to generate revenue from other sources than the same old loyal season ticket holders whose numbers are in decline.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Gillette is good for novelty. It blows for non-novelty shit and zero nostalgia that BC provides. You're dumb.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Shut up, eaglekeeper
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Shut up Hansen:
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:20 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The bubble provides everyday use for 4 months, in addition it will always be needed as a practice field. You need the leverage of moving all of the games back to Alumni when dealing with Kraft. Of course if football attendance did better than expected at Gillette, Kraft would not want to lose the business.

Many on this board are already complaining of high ticket prices and of course high parking fees. With zero luxury seating at BC, the cost per ticket will continue to increase to keep up with increasing coaching salaries. 44,500 bench seats is not going to generate enough revenue to keep up in the ACC. The whole point of club seats and luxury boxes is to generate more revenue per seat allowing for reasonably priced seats in other sections. It will not be long before parking fees increase again, lower Brighton could easily be increased to $500 and then $1,000. The garages use to be free with the purchase of 4 season tickets. They need to generate revenue from other sources than the same old loyal season ticket holders whose numbers are in decline.

you can practice with a hundred yard field and nothing else. Don't need stands, concessions, or the vast majority of what's taking up the footprint.

So choose, worst poster; blow up alumni and move to the Brady bowl or shut the fuck up about it
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:56 am

Or renovate the stadium like every other school in the ACC has already done or is in the process of doing. Your problem is that you have spent your career looking at the expense side of the ledger and you do not understand the revenue side.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:17 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Or renovate the stadium like every other school in the ACC has already done or is in the process of doing. Your problem is that you have spent your career looking at the expense side of the ledger and you do not understand the revenue side.

so then - either spend money to upgrade the stadium or blow the stadium up and move to kraftown

question, mr. revenue-ledger... where are all these revenue dollars coming from? they can't sell out the small number of luxury boxes already in place so where does the magical revenue stream come from? real, hard facts... not opinions based on what you think might happen as a best case scenario because that's the way you want it to be.

before one shovel goes into aluminum, i'd want at least half the project covered by hard dollars and signed contracts. without it, any renovation along the lines you are suggesting would lose more money for this program than spaz did
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Keeper, you do realize that they need to win and sell the place out again (thus fire Daz) before any of what you suggest regarding a renovation should even be thought of, never mind pushed as an agenda?

Also ignoring the fact that businesses aren't going to buy luxury boxes to freaking BC Football.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Luxury boxes were sold out at very high prices. It's a very high income area, really one of the highest in the entire country. The market is there for luxury seating. There are lots of local businesses that advertise already with BC that you can solicit to buy club seats as part of an overall advertising program. There is an endless number of business to go after. We're only taking about 6-8,000 seats that probably 25% would be bought by existing DBS season ticket holders.

Here's the development process:

1.) Hire the architect to develop the construction drawings for just the Beacon St garage side.
2.) Put the plans out to bid. This will give you the break even price of every seat and luxury box and set your prices so that 70% occupancy covers all of your costs.
3.) Sell it and start construction when you hit 50% pre-sold.

There is very little risk in the above approach. The plans could change based on demand. The construction prices might prove to be too high to make it feasible, but at least you will know whether or not the stadium is really worth investing in. You will know how much money to raise if you need to subsidize the borrowing. A club house on that sideline could be used year round for many university events and it can be leased out to generate additional revenue (wedding receptions, corporate parties, etc).
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Luxury boxes were sold out at very high prices. It's a very high income area, really one of the highest in the entire country. The market is there for luxury seating. There are lots of local businesses that advertise already with BC that you can solicit to buy club seats as part of an overall advertising program. There is an endless number of business to go after. We're only taking about 6-8,000 seats that probably 25% would be bought by existing DBS season ticket holders.

Here's the development process:

1.) Hire the architect to develop the construction drawings for just the Beacon St garage side.
2.) Put the plans out to bid. This will give you the break even price of every seat and luxury box and set your prices so that 70% occupancy covers all of your costs.
3.) Sell it and start construction when you hit 50% pre-sold.

There is very little risk in the above approach. The plans could change based on demand. The construction prices might prove to be too high to make it feasible, but at least you will know whether or not the stadium is really worth investing in. You will know how much money to raise if you need to subsidize the borrowing. A club house on that sideline could be used year round for many university events and it can be leased out to generate additional revenue (wedding receptions, corporate parties, etc).

You forgot to mention the corners once or twice. You're off your game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:03 pm

if luxury boxes are sold out, why can i buy one of the what, dozen, for just about any game that i want to... with the exception of Notre Dame
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:06 pm

The stadium is at 70% capacity (31,000) for the worst games. The issue of filling up the stadium has more to do with mismanagement than fan interest. When your numbers are down you need to offer something new and when you have a small stadium you need to build luxury seating to increase your revenue per seat. The cost of construction diticates luxury seating. There is no risk in proceeding with the steps I outlined.

I was told that there is a waiting list for luxury boxes by athletic development as recently as two years ago. I did receive a notice of the availability of an endzone box, but since they expanded the video boards there are now 4 less boxes available. Both video boards should be at the top of the stadium and 8 boxes should be installed in those areas. Another example of mismanaging the stadium and driving revenues down.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:15 pm

how could they have taken out 4 boxes if they were all sold out?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium