Super Bowl thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Super Bowl thread

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:12 am

WR's slowed up a slight bit on a couple of those deep throws by Brady. They did better at catching the under thrown balls. They won a SB without Gronk and with another missed XP!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:30 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:WR's slowed up a slight bit on a couple of those deep throws by Brady.

That couldn't have anything to do with Hogan, Edelman and Amendola being eppy specials.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:06 pm

On the infamous hold negating a 16 yard gain back into FG range... there was a missed facemask call on the catch. If they called what I thought live was pretty obvious call, what would have been the outcome?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:On the infamous hold negating a 16 yard gain back into FG range... there was a missed facemask call on the catch. If they called what I thought live was pretty obvious call, what would have been the outcome?

Officials did a great job of not impacting the game. If you're referring to the play I think you are, I'm pretty sure both players had each other's face masks for a brief time.

Another great Pats SB. Falcons choked, and I actually agree with Angry Dick that Ryan has never truly won a big game. I'm pretty sure Atlantans don't really care considering they're some of the biggest bandwagoners out there.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:39 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I actually agree with Angry Dick that Ryan has never truly won a big game.

I'd agree with you if you want to forget the big games he actually won like Clemson and VTech... unless of course your definition of a "big game" is only the Super Bowl.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:45 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:On the infamous hold negating a 16 yard gain back into FG range... there was a missed facemask call on the catch. If they called what I thought live was pretty obvious call, what would have been the outcome?

Officials did a great job of not impacting the game. If you're referring to the play I think you are, I'm pretty sure both players had each other's face masks for a brief time.

this - it was so obvious joe buck even commented on it while his head was way WAAAAAYYYY up his own ass
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:53 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

this - it was so obvious joe buck even commented on it while his head was way WAAAAAYYYY up his own ass

that still wouldve been a redo no?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:55 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

or is it that the facemasks offset but the holding stands? i'm not fully clear on 3 penalty plays and how priorities are followed
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:14 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

or is it that the facemasks offset but the holding stands? i'm not fully clear on 3 penalty plays and how priorities are followed

I believe it is a replayed down. That said... on the tackle... Sanu had grabbed the facemask with a stiff arm, they rarely call that (as a result I think offensive players have been more and more egregious). However, Sanu was essentially tackled by the facemask and had all the hallmarks that would normally get the call. Sanu is an ass.... so, that more than anything may have factored into the noncall.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:55 pm

It was definitely a facemask, and the down would be replayed. That said, I didn't see it live, because Ryan accomplished the rare double double of grabbing the mask on both sides of the helmet, so his head didn't jerk. Not surprised the ref missed it, wasn't as obvious as the hold.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:01 pm

TRE, no ATL wins gear, but there is this

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I actually agree with Angry Dick that Ryan has never truly won a big game.

I'd agree with you if you want to forget the big games he actually won like Clemson and VTech... unless of course your definition of a "big game" is only the Super Bowl.

Regular season wins against mediocre teams qualify as big? Sure, they were great games and nice wins for Ryan and BC, but at the end of the day they weren't championship games or BCS bowls. I guess an NFC Championship is nice....
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:33 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Regular season wins against mediocre teams qualify as big? Sure, they were great games and nice wins for Ryan and BC, but at the end of the day they weren't championship games or BCS bowls. I guess an NFC Championship is nice....

I would rank a conference Championship game ahead of a National Championship... and far, far, far ahead of a BCS Bowl. Again... it sounds like the only "big game" a QB can get credit for winning is the Super Bowl. That's fine... there are plenty of first-time-long-time types who would agree with you. I happen to think that having such a binary decision tree ignores the other aspects of what is supposed to be a team sport.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:09 pm

People are focused on poor Atlanta play calling, but don't forget the poor clock management. Atlanta got the ball back with almost a minute left in the 4th quarter, plenty of time for a final drive considering that they have a kicker who made a 59 yard field goal during the season. Atlanta had burned all three of their timeouts. How does that happen? Notwithstanding the Edelman catch challenge, using the other two was just stupid.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:20 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:People are focused on poor Atlanta play calling, but don't forget the poor clock management. Atlanta got the ball back with almost a minute left in the 4th quarter, plenty of time for a final drive considering that they have a kicker who made a 59 yard field goal during the season. Atlanta had burned all three of their timeouts. How does that happen? Notwithstanding the Edelman catch challenge, using the other two was just stupid.

Wasn't one for an injured player inside of two minutes?
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:29 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:People are focused on poor Atlanta play calling, but don't forget the poor clock management. Atlanta got the ball back with almost a minute left in the 4th quarter, plenty of time for a final drive considering that they have a kicker who made a 59 yard field goal during the season. Atlanta had burned all three of their timeouts. How does that happen? Notwithstanding the Edelman catch challenge, using the other two was just stupid.

and i think the other was because the mic/speaker in matt's helmet wasn't working
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:31 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Also, Matt Ryan had headset issues and they had to burn a timeout. Another Patriots sabotage.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Edelman challenge was their final timeout. First Timeout was on the defensive end in the 3rd quarter (I believe the drive resulted in the first TD of the 2nd half). The second timeout came at the end of the 3rd Quarter... it seemed it may have been related to Matt Ryan's helmet stopped working. He came over and switched helmets immediately after the TO was called.

The playcalling is questioned becayse Bryant has kicked a 59-yarder and most thought that they should've handed it off once they had the chance for a 39-yarder. In fairness, ATL would've been blamed for "settling for a FG" if Bryant missed it. I believe Coleman and Schraeder were both out of the game with injuries... that could've played a roll in the playcalling.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:13 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Edelman challenge was their final timeout. First Timeout was on the defensive end in the 3rd quarter (I believe the drive resulted in the first TD of the 2nd half). The second timeout came at the end of the 3rd Quarter... it seemed it may have been related to Matt Ryan's helmet stopped working. He came over and switched helmets immediately after the TO was called.

The playcalling is questioned becayse Bryant has kicked a 59-yarder and most thought that they should've handed it off once they had the chance for a 39-yarder. In fairness, ATL would've been blamed for "settling for a FG" if Bryant missed it. I believe Coleman and Schraeder were both out of the game with injuries... that could've played a roll in the playcalling.

A TD v. a FG at that point in the game is irrelevant to win expectancy. You play to score a TD, but with the lowest risk possible. Nothing you can do about holding, but the playcall on the Flowers sack was egregious.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I would rank a conference Championship game ahead of a National Championship... and far, far, far ahead of a BCS Bowl. Again... it sounds like the only "big game" a QB can get credit for winning is the Super Bowl. That's fine... there are plenty of first-time-long-time types who would agree with you. I happen to think that having such a binary decision tree ignores the other aspects of what is supposed to be a team sport.

NFC Championship is pretty nice, but when you play the skeletal remains of a team (GB) that inexplicably knocked off the team (Dallas) that likely would have beaten the Falcons, then it's not all that impressive. Kind of like the Pats beating the Texans and the Steelers on their path to the SB. Not exactly big wins.

I would love to see him win one. That team is young, the defense should only get better, and the offense has the best and most weapons in the NFL. With that said, I'd likely take 4 or 5 other QBs in the league over Ryan, but would take his offensive weapons over those of any other team's.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

I believe it is a replayed down. That said... on the tackle... Sanu had grabbed the facemask with a stiff arm, they rarely call that (as a result I think offensive players have been more and more egregious). However, Sanu was essentially tackled by the facemask and had all the hallmarks that would normally get the call. Sanu is an ass.... so, that more than anything may have factored into the noncall.

Sand pulled Ryan's helmet clean off...
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:16 pm

I expect the Falcons to be back in another 1-2 years. In fact the 2019 Super Bowl is slated for Atlanta. That would be pretty amazing for them.

From what I have read, it sounds like Shanahan didn't merely institute an offensive system that complimented Matts talents, but helped grow, almost transform, the way he sees the game. I don't think that will go away. And don't anticipate the regression to the extent some do. I don't expect another MVP season from Matt Ryan next year, but it sounds like he has turned a corner professionally. The pieces are there for Atlanta. Against any other team they'd be Super Bowl champions right now and by rights probably should be anyway. Matt exists in that tier somewhere between the top WBs in the league and the Cousins/Daltons/Osweilers of the world.

I will also thank Patriots Nation with sparing us any Billy Sherman or Atlanta Burning memes.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:11 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:That was the best Super Bowl ever. Brady Just cemented his status as best all time

It's not the "best game ever" when one side chokes.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:That was the best Super Bowl ever. Brady Just cemented his status as best all time

It was the biggest comeback and 1st OT Super Bowl. Which was better: Giants v Bills; GB v Denver; Pats v Rams; Pats v Giants (the 1st)?
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:49 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

It was the biggest comeback and 1st OT Super Bowl. Which was better: Giants v Bills; GB v Denver; Pats v Rams; Pats v Giants (the 1st)?

Pats v Rams easily
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:50 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Every championship game for the past year has been called "Greatest (insert game/sports series here) Ever" as soon as the final buzzer sounds.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Everything had to go perfect for the Pats and it did. But other than some minor clock management and play calling mistakes, that wasn't really a choke. They ran out of gas and hadn't put up enough points to stop the Pats if that did everything perfect for 16 minutes. Which they did.

This game was better than Pats Rams. Maybe Rams Titans or Pats Seahawks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:26 pm

giants - pats 18-*
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:56 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:giants - pats 18-*

Many of the Pats SBs have been snooze fests for a while only to be exciting at some point thereafter. The CAR-NE Super Bowl was like 20 minutes of nothing followed by 40 minutes of ridiculousness.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:57 pm

I still think Pats-Seahawks tops the list, at least for the Pats Super Bowls. The Butler play was the best ever in Boston sports history.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium