2018 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby Brooklyneagle on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:18 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:... He needs competitive losses against Louisville, FSU, Clemson and wins against 8 of the 9 teams to keep me thinking that we we are still on track in this long program rebuild. I think 8 wins this year should be the next litmus test.

I agree with this.

can we also agree it will not happen?

Agree. Won't happen.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
This WAS my thinking initially. But now I actually think 2018 is the litmus test, I'm giving Daz a pass for this year and, yes, I know how ridiculous many of you will find that.

i'm actually giving a pass to daz for '18 as well, if the cupboard was fully stocked landry would be a RS senior. imagine if he had another year in the program? there's just no way a coach can recover from losing a top 10 draft pick in year 6
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:44 am

All I'm saying is that 8 wins in 2017 would be pretty damn impressive. That would mean sweeping the garbage and peer schools and beating one of Clemson, FSU, Louisville, VT, or ND...with a rookie QB. That would not be an "acceptable" season, it would be a very good season.

< 6 wins Daz should be fired.
6-7 wins and 2018 becomes the litmus test
8 wins and some on this board really warm to Daz
9+ wins and Daz is probably given an extension.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:12 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:The ACC is significantly stronger than the Big East/ACC during the TOB years. To suggest TOB would have gotten 8-9 wins any of the last four years is crazy.

No. He had much better players

This.

And Daz will never get the quality of players TOB did.

Why not?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:35 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:The ACC is significantly stronger than the Big East/ACC during the TOB years. To suggest TOB would have gotten 8-9 wins any of the last four years is crazy.

This.

Disagree. I don't like Daz, think he is an atrocious game coach, and won't shed a tear when he leaves. That said, to pretend that TOB didn't inherit a wildly more talented program is nuts (all due respect to the specter of Gamblor). In my mind, Daz has just recruited BC from the depths of college football to talent roughly equivalent to that of TOBs first few years. I don't think Daz will be able to do much beyond that. But, to pretend that he didn't do anything yet or that TOB (given a MUCH better starting point) would have done more in a shorter time is crazy.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:45 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:All I'm saying is that 8 wins in 2017 would be pretty damn impressive. That would mean sweeping the garbage and peer schools and beating one of Clemson, FSU, Louisville, VT, or ND...with a rookie QB. That would not be an "acceptable" season, it would be a very good season.

couple of things:
1) i'd take 8-5 i guess but the bowl game & opponent is so random
b) notre dame went 4-8 last year
iii) daz went 2-0 in his first 2 years against vt and now they're out of reach?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:09 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This.

Disagree. I don't like Daz, think he is an atrocious game coach, and won't shed a tear when he leaves. That said, to pretend that TOB didn't inherit a wildly more talented program is nuts (all due respect to the specter of Gamblor). In my mind, Daz has just recruited BC from the depths of college football to talent roughly equivalent to that of TOBs first few years. I don't think Daz will be able to do much beyond that. But, to pretend that he didn't do anything yet or that TOB (given a MUCH better starting point) would have done more in a shorter time is crazy.

This. Fuck me, I am on the same page with HJS
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:30 am

QuailMan {l Wrote}:Just to be clear before the millennial nonsense starts, the kids in high school now are not millennials.

what are they being called even-worse-than-millennials?

They are called Gen-Z, as in Generation Zyklon, because they want to gas the Boomers. They really hate the Boomers, so maybe they are not so bad.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:46 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
QuailMan {l Wrote}:Just to be clear before the millennial nonsense starts, the kids in high school now are not millennials.

They are called Gen-Z, as in Generation Zyklon, because they want to gas the Boomers. They really hate the Boomers, so maybe they are not so bad.

fuck "gen z" - i'm calling them "generation fidget spinners."

they claim that they hate the boomers and millennials but then project many of those groups' worst habits and stereotypes
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:00 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:All I'm saying is that 8 wins in 2017 would be pretty damn impressive. That would mean sweeping the garbage and peer schools and beating one of Clemson, FSU, Louisville, VT, or ND...with a rookie QB. That would not be an "acceptable" season, it would be a very good season.

couple of things:

1) Yeah, bowl will decide a lot. 6 wins and a bad bowl loss and Daz might get fired. 6 or 7 regular season wins followed by a bowl win and I think everyone here is (generally) content waiting til 2018.
b) Notre Dame's 4-8 is very deceptive. They lost to 4 games by 3pts or less. And those 8 losses included names like Michigan State, USC, Texas, Stanford and VT. And Notre Dame has way too many 4 and 5 star recruits these days to have a sustained down time. They belong in the same group as Louisville and VT at least.
iii) FSU and Clemson are out of reach. Louisville, VT and ND are still stretches and would be good wins.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:08 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:

they claim that they hate the boomers and millennials but then project many of those groups' worst habits and stereotypes

The fidget spinner phenomenon is the end of the empire. Fucking morons.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:09 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

couple of things:

1) Yeah, bowl will decide a lot. 6 wins and a bad bowl loss and Daz might get fired. 6 or 7 regular season wins followed by a bowl win and I think everyone here is (generally) content waiting til 2018.
b) Notre Dame's 4-8 is very deceptive. They lost to 4 games by 3pts or less. And those 8 losses included names like Michigan State, USC, Texas, Stanford and VT. And Notre Dame has way too many 4 and 5 star recruits these days to have a sustained down time. They belong in the same group as Louisville and VT at least.
iii) FSU and Clemson are out of reach. Louisville, VT and ND are still stretches and would be good wins.

Dude, ND is turrible.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:00 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Also, comparing TOBs first recruiting classes when he was coming off a gambling scandal to Daz and his situation is absolutely insane, much more difficult to recruit for TOB than Daz. So in conclusion, TOB would have won 8-9 games in this ACC.

I can't do this again. From experience, I know there is no arguing with a Ginger-lover. Fine... enjoy your soulless life partner.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Also, comparing TOBs first recruiting classes when he was coming off a gambling scandal to Daz and his situation is absolutely insane, much more difficult to recruit for TOB than Daz. So in conclusion, TOB would have won 8-9 games in this ACC.

I can't do this again. From experience, I know there is no arguing with a Ginger-lover. Fine... enjoy your soulless life partner.

The league TOB was in was fucking terrible.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:27 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

and he lost to rutgres
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am

I still want to maintain that by our second loss of the season Daz will deny having said it was a 5 year rebuild
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

and he lost to rutgres

TOB lost to garden state u? I know TC did but don't remember TOB losing to them. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:

The fidget spinner phenomenon is the end of the empire. Fucking morons.

I'm embarrassed by the number of people I work with who are playing with those things and the cubes that make the clicking sound. Some of them are in their 50s.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

and he lost to rutgres

TOB lost to garden state u? I know TC did but don't remember TOB losing to them. :ace

nope - you're right. in my haste to shit on coach daywalker i lumped in coach theoretical-national-championships bad loss to rutgres. he did lose to temple in his first game, though... which at the time may have been worse than losing to rutgres actually. it was before bill cosby was throwing around his quaalude money at temple
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

and he lost to rutgres

nope - you're right. in my haste to shit on coach daywalker i lumped in coach theoretical-national-championships bad loss to rutgres. he did lose to temple in his first game, though... which at the time may have been worse than losing to rutgres actually. it was before bill cosby was throwing around his quaalude money at temple

:toby also lost to Temple in his 3rd season. TOB lost his first game as a HC in front of 5,085 fans!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:46 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

and he lost to rutgres

:toby also lost to Temple in his 3rd season. TOB lost his first game as a HC in front of 5,085 fans!

I believe that first game was when Shalom Tolefree tackled the punter from Temple for no apparent reason giving Temple the chance to continue a drve as Temple had already :whiteflag. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:27 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}: TOB lost his first game as a HC in front of 5,085 fans!

That's crazy. Yeah, I think TOB had a much more difficult job resurrecting the program than Daz.

Also, didn't see ATL's most recent blog post before now. Guess Athalon sports predicts 5-7 this year and also puts Daz as the worst coach in the ACC.

that's all well and good, but what did phil steele say?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:52 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

That's crazy. Yeah, I think TOB had a much more difficult job resurrecting the program than Daz.

Also, didn't see ATL's most recent blog post before now. Guess Athalon sports predicts 5-7 this year and also puts Daz as the worst coach in the ACC.

that's all well and good, but what did phil steele say?

I collected all 30 covers of the 2017 Sporting News CFB Season Preview issue.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:58 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

That was not the Alumni Stadium crowd... the game was at Temple.

1997 Roster

Matt Hasselbeck QB
Scott Mutryn QB
Omari Walker RB
Michael Hemmert RB
Mike Cloud RB
Quinton Lee RB
Frank Chamberlin RB
Anthony DiCosmo WR
Dennis Harding WR
Jermaine Walker WR
Derrick Crittenden WR
Mike Guazzo WR
Todd Pollack TE
Scott Dragos TE
Rob Tardio TE
Doug Brzezinski OL
Noah LaRose OL
Jon Miles OL
Andy Mitcham OL
Damien Woody OL
Chris Hovan DL
Andrew Krauza DL
Mike Willetts DL
Greg Bartlett LB
Markell Blount* LB
Brooke Heald* LB
Erick Storz* LB
Adam Newman LB
Bobby Edmonds LB
Pedro Cirino* DB
Carlton Rowe* DB
Shalom Tolefree* DB
George White* DB
D.J. Sutton DB
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Point taken on attendance.

What is your point about the roster? I agree TOB probably inherited a better roster. I still maintain that TOB most definitely recruited better than Daz in a much more difficult environment to do so, which was my main point. Its impressive that TOB was able to turn BC around after the betting scandal and consecutive 4-7 seasons. I also think that in year 4-5 TOB probably would have gotten 8 wins even in this ACC. Just because I think TOB was a bit better than Daz doesn't mean that I think TOB was a good coach. He recruited better than Daz but consistently under performed and was nothing better than an average P5 coach. Daz is a bottom tier P5 coach.

The point is that there is no effing way that TOB inherited "a much more difficult environment" upon which to turn it around. The truth is that it isn't remotely even close. And those consecutive 4-7 campaigns had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the coach.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

What is your point about the roster? I agree TOB probably inherited a better roster. I still maintain that TOB most definitely recruited better than Daz in a much more difficult environment to do so, which was my main point. Its impressive that TOB was able to turn BC around after the betting scandal and consecutive 4-7 seasons. I also think that in year 4-5 TOB probably would have gotten 8 wins even in this ACC. Just because I think TOB was a bit better than Daz doesn't mean that I think TOB was a good coach. He recruited better than Daz but consistently under performed and was nothing better than an average P5 coach. Daz is a bottom tier P5 coach.

The point is that there is no effing way that TOB inherited "a much more difficult environment" upon which to turn it around. The truth is that it isn't remotely even close. And those consecutive 4-7 campaigns had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the coach.

and the fucking nerds in the stands
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:25 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Do you realize how detrimental a betting scandal is for a program, regardless of the roster makeup? You aren't taking that into account at all. But this is a tertiary point anyway

Regardless of how difficult it was to turn the program around initially, Daz is no TOB, which is the whole point of this discussion. TWB hit the nail on the head, the two have different self imposed ceilings.
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He's TOB with less talent, so his self-set bar of underachievement is 6-6/7-5 instead of 8-4/9-3

And I don't see Daz getting much better talent than he already gets, which even you said yourself...

HJS {l Wrote}: In my mind, Daz has just recruited BC from the depths of college football to talent roughly equivalent to that of TOBs first few years. I don't think Daz will be able to do much beyond that.

Regardless of how you feel about Daz, TOB was handed a real good roster that looked worse than it was because Henning played tough schedules. A good coach doesn't go 4-7 twice with an NFL QB.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

1997 Roster

Matt Hasselbeck QB
Scott Mutryn QB
Omari Walker RB
Michael Hemmert RB
Mike Cloud RB
Quinton Lee RB
Frank Chamberlin RB
Anthony DiCosmo WR
Dennis Harding WR
Jermaine Walker WR
Derrick Crittenden WR
Mike Guazzo WR
Todd Pollack TE
Scott Dragos TE
Rob Tardio TE
Doug Brzezinski OL
Noah LaRose OL
Jon Miles OL
Andy Mitcham OL
Damien Woody OL
Chris Hovan DL
Andrew Krauza DL
Mike Willetts DL
Greg Bartlett LB
Markell Blount* LB
Brooke Heald* LB
Erick Storz* LB
Adam Newman LB
Bobby Edmonds LB
Pedro Cirino* DB
Carlton Rowe* DB
Shalom Tolefree* DB
George White* DB
D.J. Sutton DB

QQQQQQQ-Doooooog for life!!! That man knew how to party and that was a better roster that Spaz the retard ever put together.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:30 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I collected all 30 covers of the 2017 Sporting News CFB Season Preview issue.

Some fun articles ranking Daz for 2017

ACC Rank 14-14
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... aches-2017

P5 Rank 54-65
http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ked-65-26/

5 most overpaid coach in D1 football
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702 ... ball-today

The Athlon Sports rankings were :clownshoes.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:52 am

The most important thing to do is to build up the facilities to attract better players to overcome average coaching. Daz is below average and TOB was average to slightly above average given his record in rivalry and bowl games.

I am very hopeful that the new IPF will give recruiting a big boost. It will also help to attract better head coaches.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium