2018 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 am

BCs had plenty of difference makers on offense, they've just mis-used them most the time.

Andre, Murphy, Allston, Smith, now Dillon
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He looks faster on tape than that 40 time.

Supposedly ran a 4.48 at rivals camp. Not sure whether they are laser times there or not. But regardless he's pretty fast. Love this pickup could turn into an elite DB.

He's a great pickup
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:53 pm

I find Daz's recruiting somewhat strange. Over the years, he's done very well recruiting CBs, S, WRs, LBs, DEs and RBs... all positions that we have struggled on occasion recruiting. This has resulted in a massive upgrade of team speed. That said, the positions where BC has always found easy to recruit (OL, DT and QB) have all been areas of weakness for Dazoo.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I find Daz's recruiting somewhat strange. Over the years, he's done very well recruiting CBs, S, WRs, LBs, DEs and RBs... all positions that we have struggled on occasion recruiting. This has resulted in a massive upgrade of team speed. That said, the positions where BC has always found easy to recruit (OL, DT and QB) have all been areas of weakness for Dazoo.

I get the impression that DT is by design. They aren't actually really looking at the big guys they want the d to grow into their positions
Last edited by twballgame9 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I find Daz's recruiting somewhat strange. Over the years, he's done very well recruiting CBs, S, WRs, LBs, DEs and RBs... all positions that we have struggled on occasion recruiting. This has resulted in a massive upgrade of team speed. That said, the positions where BC has always found easy to recruit (OL, DT and QB) have all been areas of weakness for Dazoo.

I guess it's all relative, but I think most (if not all) WRs we've recruited have been very unimpressive. Wade and Brown have been on the top end (or at least on par with) of what we've historically seen from our QB recruiting (Ryan, Rettig etc were all 3 stars). I think Valecce has great potential in a more pass-friendly offense. Daz's best quality has been finding undervalued DB talent.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:

I guess it's all relative, but I think most (if not all) WRs we've recruited have been very unimpressive.

Unimpressive and too many.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:09 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:

I guess it's all relative, but I think most (if not all) WRs we've recruited have been very unimpressive. Wade and Brown have been on the top end (or at least on par with) of what we've historically seen from our QB recruiting (Ryan, Rettig etc were all 3 stars). I think Valecce has great potential in a more pass-friendly offense. Daz's best quality has been finding undervalued DB talent.

LBs and DEs have been very good as well. I'd call DE the best position he has recruited.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I get the impression that DT is by design. They aren't actually really looking at the big guys they want the d to grow into their positions

They recruit small DTs with wrestling backgrounds and have them put on weight it seems
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:

I guess it's all relative, but I think most (if not all) WRs we've recruited have been very unimpressive.

And too many that are only deceptively fast.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:06 pm

This is fair, but I don't think you can evaluate his OL recruiting until this season. To his credit, he has taken guys from the Spaz classes/underused 5th years and turned them into NFL players, but many of his OL guys are still young, and even highly recruited players take time, it's the hardest position to get guys up to speed.

The ones with experience, have developed well (Baker) and I think it's fair to evaluate his OL recruiting with guys like Lindstrom and Monteiro having plenty of experience with this season coming up. Much of TOB's OL success came from giving guys time to develop (obv recruiting was diff then but idk if many were mega recruits out of HS). If guys going into year 3, with plenty of development time, are still overwhelmed this year, then I think it's fair to criticize.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:

And yet... that's better than BC has historically done. Is Kelvin Martin still the last BC WR to start an NFL game or is it Tom Waddle?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:

And yet... that's better than BC has historically done. Is Kelvin Martin still the last BC WR to start an NFL game or is it Tom Waddle?

I think you missed the joke
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:

Depends if you count Ifeanyi Momah. He was a WR at BC and was a starter in a NFL game last season, but as a TE.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am

Commitment from Thomas Shelmire. OL from Texas, 6'3/285 lb, believe was at camp last week. Most smaller offers, SMU, Navy, Colorado St,
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Nick DeNucci committed. Big time LB from NJ. Campanile is just killing it. LOU,RU,WVU,Cuse,Purdue,Wake,Pitt, and Maryland among his offers.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Campanile has to have the school buy him Porsche or a Caddy. He is really cleaning up.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:32 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Campanile has to have the school buy him Porsche or a Caddy. He is really cleaning up.

Don't think he's done yet either.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Class sits at #24 nationally at the moment.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:08 pm

This class is pretty decent, but how many scholarships do we have? Seems like we blew our load on a few 0 stars early.

Also, we desperately need that RB/WR from Florida. We've got a slow WR and a zero star who will probably end up at DB. The lack of any outside threat in the last 20 years is just astounding.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:This class is pretty decent, but how many scholarships do we have? Seems like we blew our load on a few 0 stars early.

Also, we desperately need that RB/WR from Florida. We've got a slow WR and a zero star who will probably end up at DB. The lack of any outside threat in the last 20 years is just astounding.

Don't disagree we need Hawkins(who we made his top 7) but think Galloway is going to be a really good WR, know the staff loves him. Obviously it was a camp setting so no pads but highlights from the opening looked good. He beat Isheem Young for a TD when they went up against each other. Young is one of the top DBs in the countries.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:This class is pretty decent, but how many scholarships do we have? Seems like we blew our load on a few 0 stars early.

Don't disagree we need Hawkins(who we made his top 7) but think Galloway is going to be a really good WR, know the staff loves him. Obviously it was a camp setting so no pads but highlights from the opening looked good. He beat Isheem Young for a TD when they went up against each other. Young is one of the top DBs in the countries.

We do not need another WR in this class. We do need a DE and a LT.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:33 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

To me, wideout will always be a big necessity. Is CJ Lewis moving to WR? Last year was a bizarre collection of "QBs" Have to assume Haynes is moving to DB.

Dirstine could probably move to LT, has great feet. For sure need a DE and another OL though. Loaded at LB/DB in this class as I think Langan will eventually move there.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:42 am

Jason Maitre just committed. Looks like some momentum.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:39 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Jason Maitre just committed. Looks like some momentum.

He committed a week ago.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16952&p=481871&hilit=Jason+Maitre#p481871
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Jason Maitre just committed. Looks like some momentum.

He committed a week ago.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16952&p=481871&hilit=Jason+Maitre#p481871

OK, looks like it is all over Twitter today.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:55 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

Hawkins would be an APB and a guy who can flex into the slot. And they absolutely want a RB like that in this class. Not sure they take another WR. Maybe Bauer but he'd be an ATH. Mccalister would be a TE/WR. He's a take still I'd assume. DE your probably looking at Parker Devine BC sits in good shape with him. Parks Gissinger in CA could be an option too haven't heard much from him but he's a big academics guy. LT is the question. BC is absolutely the dark horse for Aidan Rafferty but wouldn't say they lead. Maybe can get back in with Qadir White. Is Khris Banks a OL or DT? Vettorello is a guy to watch on the OL as well.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Nate Bauer from ohio is being crystal balled to BC now, think 3 just popped up. He's listed as WR but think BC offered as a DB. Offers from BC, Cincy, Maryland, Cuse, Minnesota,
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Can we just get one goddamn guy who is a legit WR, not one of these guys who can probably play DB, TE or QB? We just don't help out our QBs at all. Imagine you're Wade and you see our wideouts bumbling around out there. David Dudeck for fuck's sake. Jeff Smith was probably our best last year and he had 1 catch vs. Clemson, Louisville and FSU total. If I hear "Glines is going to have a breakout season..." one more time. Ugh.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Unless you are getting the top guys at the schools with top QBs, I don't know how the fuck anyone can tell if a WR in high school blocking in the power run game and running end arounds in the spread is a true WR or not.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:12 pm

For example, BC has a guy that caught 11,000,000,000 passes in Bergen Co., NJ and he has barely seen the field. Was he a real WR?
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium