2018 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2018 Recruiting Thread

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:27 am

Only Days and Tiede not yet signed?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:34 am

McCalister officially to Vandy
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:53 am

Got bored at work this morning, so thought I'd take a quick look at Daz's wall in the Northeast, by state:

BC's Commits In:
- MA: 4 out of 7 going P5, including #2, #3, #6, and #7. (Penn State, Duke and Stanford also nabbing recruits)
- NY: 4 out of top 25 recruits, including #10, #15, #18, and #21. (Rutgers x5, Syracuse x3, Ohio State x2, Purdue, Wisconsin, Indiana, Toledo, Temple, and Sacred Heart(!) all nabbed recruits "ranked higher" than our lowest)
- NJ: 4 of the top 30 thusfar (5 uncommitted), including #25, #27, #28, and #29. (ND x3, Rutgers x3, Pitt x2, Vandy x2, NCST x2, Penn St, Florida and some others also represented)
- NH: 0/1 (Syracuse nabbed only 247 recruit listed)
- ME: (no recruits ranked)
- VT: (no recruits ranked)

That killed a half hour. Also, recruiting rankings are garbage. Also, hopefully this picks up in the years ahead.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 am

What's up with Baptiste?
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:What's up with Baptiste?

Hasn't announced a decision. Believe he is waiting to sign in Feb. Here is his Twitter feed. (https://twitter.com/javontae_jb?lang=en) Of note, he just congratulated Anthony DiCosmo's kid... who just received an offer from Donnie Brown and Michigan.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:04 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:02 pm

What is the story with Tyler Days? He had an official a few weeks ago. Academics? His choice (doubt it)? Victim of a numbers crunch? Holding his spot for JJ-B?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:09 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:What is the story with Tyler Days? He had an official a few weeks ago. Academics? His choice (doubt it)? Victim of a numbers crunch? Holding his spot for JJ-B?

What about Tiede as well?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:33 pm

I dont have access to the article, but 247 is suggesting that Matt Alaimo may be a target to finish out the 2018 class.

He was originally committed to Pitt but decommitted just before the early signing day. He is a 6'5/235lb TE from St. Joes in NJ (same school as '18 signee Evan Stewart).

Offers from Pitt, ASU, Arkansas, Duke, Louisville, Minnesota, NCSU, Rutgers, Cuse, Tennessee, Vandy, UVA, VT and WVU.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:45 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I dont have access to the article, but 247 is suggesting that Matt Alaimo may be a target to finish out the 2018 class.

He was originally committed to Pitt but decommitted just before the early signing day. He is a 6'5/235lb TE from St. Joes in NJ (same school as '18 signee Evan Stewart).

Offers from Pitt, ASU, Arkansas, Duke, Louisville, Minnesota, NCSU, Rutgers, Cuse, Tennessee, Vandy, UVA, VT and WVU.

That would be a great get and fit with Coach Camp profile.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:05 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I dont have access to the article, but 247 is suggesting that Matt Alaimo may be a target to finish out the 2018 class.

He also has a younger brother who is a 2020 recruit and already has offers from Pitt and Rutgers
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:58 pm

According to RU folks... Hilliman is going to facilitate our numbers crunch by transferring there.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:14 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:According to RU folks... Hilliman is going to facilitate our numbers crunch by transferring there.

Why not keep him around? Or does he want to be a feature back elsewhere?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:09 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:According to RU folks... Hilliman is going to facilitate our numbers crunch by transferring there.

His call. He's already graduated. Looking to get some more run. Wade is also gone. Both good kids. Really important to both to get a BC degree. Wade wanted to leave last year but felt he owes it to others in his class to come back. Good kids. Just looking for more PT.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:14 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

His call. He's already graduated. Looking to get some more run. Wade is also gone. Both good kids. Really important to both to get a BC degree. Wade wanted to leave last year but felt he owes it to others in his class to come back. Good kids. Just looking for more PT.

Can’t argue with that especially in the case of Hilliman where there is an entrenched starter in front of you. As for Wade, Brown will be healthy come next year but you never know when injuries will happen. But again, can’t complain about a guy who put in his time, got his degree, and wants a year to start Somewhere.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:39 am

With all due respect to teddy's Devils Threesome partner, I don't think Wade is suited to be anything more than a backup for a Power 5 team. He'd do well to drop a level... even if that's just to Cincy and the AAC. But, if he wants a fun, big numbers year, I think he should play at Delaware.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 am

I'll come to Wade's defense a bit. He managed the game and made some good throws. 16/27 for 208, with 1 TD and 2 INT's. Considering the conditions, the difficulty of throwing a frozen ball, and how god-awful predictable the dive-dive-pass game plan was...considering all that, that's about all we can expect. The first INT wasn't on him, that was a good ball at face mask height and should've been caught instead of tipped up. There were also a few key drops that killed drives. The last INT was on Wade, but by that point we all know the game was lost. We lost because the conditions (and the mind-boggling delay in realizing that spikes work better than flat soles on ice) neutralized our running game. We didn't lose because of Wade.

With that said, before this game I was hoping Wade would show us enough to justify keeping him for a 5th year. Starting '18 with Brown (with his knee AND shoulder) and Perry could really blow up and spoil what should be a very talented roster and a good season. And Wade's solid and can use his arm enough to keep defenses honest, but now I just don't know. I don't think Wade'll ever win a game on his own. And I'm not sure it's worth whatever promises it'll likely take to keep him from transferring.

With that said, I hope BC fills out the medical redshirt paperwork for him and let's him get in one more year somewhere. Always seemed like a BC guy.

We can afford to lose Hilliman and I wish him the best elsewhere.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:48 am

HJS {l Wrote}:With all due respect to teddy's Devils Threesome partner, I don't think Wade is suited to be anything more than a backup for a Power 5 team. He'd do well to drop a level... even if that's just to Cincy and the AAC. But, if he wants a fun, big numbers year, I think he should play at Delaware.

If wade got a half season of consecutive starts to get experience with decision making, he’s a legit D-1 QB. He can make throws and can make plays with his legs. Never worked out due to injuries and the stupidity of starting Towles.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:With all due respect to teddy's Devils Threesome partner, I don't think Wade is suited to be anything more than a backup for a Power 5 team. He'd do well to drop a level... even if that's just to Cincy and the AAC. But, if he wants a fun, big numbers year, I think he should play at Delaware.

If wade got a half season of consecutive starts to get experience with decision making, he’s a legit D-1 QB. He can make throws and can make plays with his legs. Never worked out due to injuries and the stupidity of starting Towles.

His inability to throw the deep ball is his biggest liability. I think he only starts P5 if a team is desperate. And BC might be the only desperate team in 2018 if Brown's recovery isn't coming along. (And even if it is...)
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:02 am

I'll also throw out that the 2018 schedule sets up well for making Wade promises and keeping him. Tell him the starting job is his and guarantee him all starts in September, with the simple condition that he can't lose 2. Lose 2 and the job is officially up for grabs. After September the job is up for grabs, but he gets the chance to prove himself. September is UMass, Temple, Holy Cross, Purdue and ???. Wade can definitely beat the cupcakes and probably Purdue, so there's really no downside.

Then the staff can make the call in October as we get into the heart of the ACC schedule. Maybe Wade will surprise us. It also gives Brown a little extra time getting to full form. And it avoids a '15 level disaster if Brown goes down again and Perry isn't serviceable.
Last edited by dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 am

re hilliman: i know he hasn't bounced back to the level pre surgery but can we really afford to lose him?

given daz's desire to CRACK THE ROCK and the nature of the position, if he leaves were looking at a depth chart of:
Dillon
Levy
Bailey
Wilson (?)

idk where wilson is going to fit in numbers game but only 3 rbs is pretty light given we hand the ball of ~50 times per game (!!!!!!!!!!)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 am

WIlson graduated iirc, so it's likely he's gone as well, no?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:58 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

His inability to throw the deep ball is his biggest liability. I think he only starts P5 if a team is desperate. And BC might be the only desperate team in 2018 if Brown's recovery isn't coming along. (And even if it is...)

He's accurate because he throws the ball only 5 yards. He is entirely clueless in the pocket. That was on full display against NCS and cost us the game last night with the fumble. There is no excuse for someone in their 4th year of seeing action to be unaware that he's been holding the ball for 6 seconds. The stupidity of starting Towles was on Wade as he was unable to beat him out.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

He's accurate because he throws the ball only 5 yards. He is entirely clueless in the pocket. That was on full display against NCS and cost us the game last night with the fumble. There is no excuse for someone in their 4th year of seeing action to be unaware that he's been holding the ball for 6 seconds. The stupidity of starting Towles was on Wade as he was unable to beat him out.

That fumble yesterday wasn't terrible. It wasn't a holding the ball situation it was a protection situation. The OL barely slowed the end. Wade had 2-3 seconds and was 0.1 seconds away from getting the ball out. Criticizing the 2nd INT and the last drive in general is fair (though anyone with expectations of a 75yd TD drive with no timeouts in those conditions is delusional), but I'm not sure you can criticize the fumble.

As for big picture, don't forget that Wade's now started 4 games. And he did show better pocket presence against UConn and Syracuse. The poise things comes from experience and there were glimpses of progress. The arm remains weak though...

Regardless, I think we're on the same page that Wade is serviceable but unremarkable, as far as we've seen.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:50 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

That fumble yesterday wasn't terrible. It wasn't a holding the ball situation it was a protection situation. The OL barely slowed the end. Wade had 2-3 seconds and was 0.1 seconds away from getting the ball out. Criticizing the 2nd INT and the last drive in general is fair (though anyone with expectations of a 75yd TD drive with no timeouts in those conditions is delusional), but I'm not sure you can criticize the fumble.

As for big picture, don't forget that Wade's now started 4 games. And he did show better pocket presence against UConn and Syracuse. The poise things comes from experience and there were glimpses of progress. The arm remains weak though...

Regardless, I think we're on the same page that Wade is serviceable but unremarkable, as far as we've seen.

While the second int was on Wade, he’s a better passer while rolling out. I didn’t count the instances, but it seems that he was successful in the first half throwing on the run, but was asked to throw from the pocket in the second half.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:While the second int was on Wade, he’s a better passer while rolling out. I didn’t count the instances, but it seems that he was successful in the first half throwing on the run, but was asked to throw from the pocket in the second half.

He had 8 completions for an average of 9 yards. Most of the dinks and dunks came from the pocket. His big 40 yard play came when he was in the pocket and underthrew Sweeney, (but instead of an INT) the badly beaten DB knocked the ball 5 yards down field so that Sweeney could catch it and walk into the endzone.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:05 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:re hilliman: i know he hasn't bounced back to the level pre surgery but can we really afford to lose him?

given daz's desire to CRACK THE ROCK and the nature of the position, if he leaves were looking at a depth chart of:
Dillon
Levy
Bailey
Wilson (?)

idk where wilson is going to fit in numbers game but only 3 rbs is pretty light given we hand the ball of ~50 times per game (!!!!!!!!!!)

Not that it is something that can be counted on for next year, but they did offer Javian Dayne fairly late in the process (he has not committed anywhere as of yet) so it could at least be another name in the depth conversation. Perhaps they were stalling the Dayne commitment until they had a better read on what Hilliman was going to do ?

There is another name to potentially keep an eye on going forward (would not be applicable to 2018 depth). Its a long shot (and I have no information that he would even be considering a transfer at this point), but CJ Holmes at ND was suspended indefinitely for stealing something I think. Im sure Kelly will reinstate him, but if there was to be an issue, he played at Cheshire Academy with CJ Lewis/Brandon Sebastian and is from the CT area (Hamden ?)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Javontae Jean Baptiste from Bergen just got an offer from tOSU
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Javontae Jean Baptiste from Bergen just got an offer from tOSU

Weird fit for OSU. The kid has all the tools, but really needs to be developed into a pass-rushing DE. That's not the pond that the factories tend to fish. Kids like that can easily get lost in the shuffle as each year brings ready-made players. I'd highly recommend a kid like him to avoid the factories and instead focus on programs and coaching staffs with experience in improving players year-to-year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby garf112 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:re hilliman: i know he hasn't bounced back to the level pre surgery but can we really afford to lose him?

Dillon
Levy
Bailey
Wilson (?)

Is Davon Jones a RB or LB next year? With that depth chart, I would have to think RB.
garf112
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium