Mike Ruth to be Inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Mike Ruth to be Inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Ruth was the product of better living through chemistry. He was the Rob Waldrop of the 80s. And just as there were very few Arizona Wildcats of the Dessert Swarm era were surprised that Rob was ineffective once he could not take the juice, nor were there many Eagles of the Flute era shocked that Ruth was ineffective once his back acne went away.

Not to excuse it, but weren't a ton of college players on 'roids then?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:54 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Montana threw 25 TDs and 25 INTs in his career. Given it was a different era but those aren't good stats in any era unless you played for the Jets in the 60s. His career was also essentially 1.5 seasons and his senior year makes him a slightly above average QB in the Big 10.

I don't think Brady was a particularly good college player either. But thanks for pointing that out.

Check your stats, the interceptions were thrown his sophomore year. His junior and senior years were outstanding.

10 TDs with 9 INTs. 11 TDs with 8 INTs the year before. Try again.

He also received no Heisman votes, which is odd for an outstanding year.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:17 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Montana threw 25 TDs and 25 INTs in his career. Given it was a different era but those aren't good stats in any era unless you played for the Jets in the 60s. His career was also essentially 1.5 seasons and his senior year makes him a slightly above average QB in the Big 10.

I don't think Brady was a particularly good college player either. But thanks for pointing that out.

Check your stats, the interceptions were thrown his sophomore year. His junior and senior years were outstanding.

why is glenn foley not in the cfhof yet?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:56 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Of course, you neglect to mention that he ran for 6 touchdowns in both his Sr and Jr year. You also neglect to mention that Marc Wilson, the 1st team All American playing in an absolute joke of a conference threw 15 Ints and was actually underwater on his TD-to INT ratio in the prior years. Art Schlister, the 2nd team AA was of course unbelievably underwater from a TD to INT perspective over those two years 27 INTs against 18 TDs--and also has a college QB Rating that is essentially identical to Montanas despite being a 3 time All-American (1st or 2nd team). Paul McDonald, the 3rd team AA is really the only one of the three who has far better numbers than Montana. Of course, McDonald was surrounded by an embarrassment of offensive riches, most notably the Heisman Trophy winner Charles White, as well as 19 additional offensive players who would go on to the NFL.

Anyway, you keep telling yourself the guy who lead 3 or 4 of the greatest comebacks in college football history, lead his team to a National Championship, was the MVP of a Cotton Bowl and had an NFL Film made about him before he took a snap in the league was a "mediocre" college QB. At least you are consistently stupid.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:42 pm

I don't know why you keep bringing up other players like there's a quota for HOF members by year. I don't really care about the other players and, yes, I did look them up when looking at Montana's stats. Making a case against other players of the era isn't making a case for or against Montana. He was before my time and I'm sure he was a fine enough QB. Mediocre was probably overselling it. But of course he went to ND so he gets his balls washed.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:58 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I don't know why you keep bringing up other players like there's a quota for HOF members by year. I don't really care about the other players and, yes, I did look them up when looking at Montana's stats. Making a case against other players of the era isn't making a case for or against Montana. He was before my time and I'm sure he was a fine enough QB. Mediocre was probably overselling it. But of course he went to ND so he gets his balls washed.

The point of comparing him to the others is the criteria of awards. It's also pre Walsh so these numbers are pretty worthless. QBS were different.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium