Sh!t - Big Al

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Sh!t - Big Al

Postby Supahfan99 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:10 am

This is really bad news for BC. Very upsetting.

Loved Al.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 am

its just unbelievable that people actually buy / create an excuse of "he wanted to go home".

that would make sense if he was becoming the head coach of ohio state.

when you enter the coaching world, moving constantly is part of the job description. hes not even becoming a DC with this move!
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCdee on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:17 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:its just unbelievable that people actually buy / create an excuse of "he wanted to go home".

when you enter the coaching world, moving constantly is part of the job description. hes not even becoming a DC with this move!

Agreed....if anyone is a BC guy through and through, it's him.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:21 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:its just unbelievable that people actually buy / create an excuse of "he wanted to go home".

sure - i remember when jags coined the phrase "bc guy" he was coaching somewhere else and living in northern kentucky.

in other words, you can call al a lot of things; but bc guy doesn't seem to fit right now
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:

sure - i remember when jags coined the phrase "bc guy" he was coaching somewhere else and living in northern kentucky.

in other words, you can call al a lot of things; but bc guy doesn't seem to fit right now

Dude? :roll:
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:48 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:The SID Jason Baum who tried to string arm the hockeyrection guys just tweeted something about coaching news coming soon

we know the entire department is filled with incompetent morons, he might be the biggest clown of the bunch

He's the one driving the clown car.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:56 am

Al wasn't one of 'Daz's' guys - he was a holdover from Spaz and probably felt it, especially with Pasqualoni seemingly poised to move up into any role should Reid move on/retire.

I like to think Al's playing a long game - building an Ohio pipeline for when he's DC under FHCRD.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:03 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Al wasn't one of 'Daz's' guys - he was a holdover from Spaz and probably felt it, especially with Pasqualoni seemingly poised to move up into any role should Reid move on/retire.

I like to think Al's playing a long game - building an Ohio pipeline for when he's DC under FHCRD.

That is the question, was it his decision to leave?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:17 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Al wasn't one of 'Daz's' guys - he was a holdover from Spaz and probably felt it, especially with Pasqualoni seemingly poised to move up into any role should Reid move on/retire.

That is the question, was it his decision to leave?

He's hoing to work for Urban Meyer's former co-DC. He was supposedly given a recommendation to join Urban's staff. As we saw last week, Daz knows where his bread is buttered. I cannot imagine he would offer up Al to Urban (or a fellow Urban desciple) unless he thought it was a good hire for them. He knows his next job will be for someone within that very same network. That said, Al leaving is a longterm plus for him as it gets him out from under Daz's stank. I just question the lateral move as I thought he would be able to take a step up.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 am

That's the other point I forgot to mention - he's gotta be thinking there's a good shot Daz is gone after next year and is just being smart professionally - has to be better for a him as a coach to diversify his background beyond pretty much just BC (tho he did have stints at Elon & NCST)
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:The SID Jason Baum who tried to string arm the hockeyrection guys just tweeted something about coaching news coming soon

we know the entire department is filled with incompetent morons, he might be the biggest clown of the bunch

Yeah but he was very good at marketing MLS to New Yorkers, so...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:44 am

I am bummed out by this news.

I like Ricky Brown but BC has an image problem when it comes to diversity and this promotion does not mitigate the problem.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:46 am

Can't fault the guy for jumping to a better branch on the Urban Meyer coaching tree. The branch he was on is pretty much dead. :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:50 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Yeah but he was very good at marketing MLS to New Yorkers, so...

Yeah, but New Yorkers are stupid, so...

Has anyone given him the nickname "Meat" yet? If not, I'm trademarking it and licensing it out at no cost so long as you attach an appropriate picture whenever mentioning Mr. Meat Baum.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:58 am

Michael Sullivan ‏@MichaelJSully 52m52 minutes ago
Being told Al Washington's sole motivation for going to Cincinnati was to be close to his native Ohio. No rift with Addazio.

Very dumb reason if true (which I doubt).
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Being told Al Washington's sole motivation for going to Cincinnati was to be close to his native Ohio. No rift with Addazio.

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:21 pm

Right up there with Preston Murphy going to Creighton because the cost of living is lower

All this tells us is Al is too nice or too savvy to bash Addazio on his way out the door
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:...Right up there with Preston Murphy going to Creighton because the cost of living is lower...

creighton is currently ranked #10 in the country. when do you think bc basketball, under any coach, will be #10 in the country?

another version of coach handsome is not walking through that door with another version of troy bell or cookie/dudley

and, to end this analogy, cinci is not ranked #10 in the country and won't be in the next 2 - 3 years
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Money was also part of it. BC does pay Addazio a market wage, but the assistant pay is below what many mid-majors programs now pay. This is not an Addazio thing. It is a BC issue. Al can go home, which is something he has wanted to do for a while, and make more money. He's also going to recruit closer to home and that's a big issue too.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:49 pm

daz is heading into his 5th year, only 2 remain. is 7 (out of 9) typical over 5 years?

2013:
HC: Daz
OC / QB: Day
RB: Al
WR: Fitch
TE: Leonard
OL: Frye
DC / LB: Brown
DL: Albert
DB: Lempa
ST: McGowan

2017:
OC / QB: Loeff
RB: White
WR: Gunnell
DC / LB: Reid
DL: PP
DB: Campanile
ST: ???
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Yup. I won't believe anything I hear until I hear it from Al himself.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:Money was also part of it. BC does pay Addazio a market wage, but the assistant pay is below what many mid-majors programs now pay. This is not an Addazio thing. It is a BC issue. Al can go home, which is something he has wanted to do for a while, and make more money. He's also going to recruit closer to home and that's a big issue too.

I believe this is true and it is pathetic.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:26 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:daz is heading into his 5th year, only 2 remain. is 7 (out of 9) typical over 5 years?

2013:

2017:

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:34 pm

The fact that they announced Brown at the same time means that this wasn't a surprise to Daz. How much of this was Daz forcing him out or Al wanting out, I have no idea.

I wish he had left for a title promotion or another Power 5 job. Let's hope the closer to home stuff is real. Regardless, this can be a very good move for Al. Right now he has only been in the BC network. The only coaches he has worked for are TOB, Swepson, Spaz and Daz. Broadening his network is a good move. He can learn some things and grow as a coach. If things don't work out in Cincy, he can always come back to BC.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:...Right up there with Preston Murphy going to Creighton because the cost of living is lower...

creighton is currently ranked #10 in the country. when do you think bc basketball, under any coach, will be #10 in the country?

another version of coach handsome is not walking through that door with another version of troy bell or cookie/dudley

and, to end this analogy, cinci is not ranked #10 in the country and won't be in the next 2 - 3 years

Why don't you marry Creighton?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:36 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:daz is heading into his 5th year, only 2 remain. is 7 (out of 9) typical over 5 years?

2013:

2017:

idk enough about the overall turnover of assistants (this does seem high tho), but a few things. Most of the guys he lost took promotions (Brown, Lempa, Albert, Day and most likely Washington to a FT position coach that he once played rather than assisting Coach P). Fitch was unfairly fired (as we see in retrospect since Addazio is running the off. show) and McGowan added little value and was warranted. I think overall, Addazio has done a good job managing the staff. Pasqualoni proved to be an upgrade to Albert. Campanile is a recruiting improvement to Lempa. I think Gunnell fits the mold of what BC needs very well (young, black, alum). Even Hutzler was a good hire going into '15.

Also, I don't think its fair to assume that BC is coming in that far below market in assistant pay. Nobody here has any idea what assistants make (hell, we barely know what Addazio really makes, BC reported $2.6mm in recent filings but Ive been told by a reliable source that his total comp is north of $3mm, which is also why I don't think its crazy to think that BC could realistically pay for a high profile name after Addazio).

I seriously doubt that Cincinnati has the ability to pay more than BC for assistant football coaches and don't think that was the driver in AW's decision. I'd be willing to bet it is a security issue and the home thing plays into it. Just as a basis for comparison, the reported ACC schools average ~ $3.4mm in assistant pay while average reported AAC schools pay ~ $2.0mm in assistant salary ( Cincinnati reported 2.1mm). With BC being in the upper half of the league in HC salary, i find it hard to believe that the assistant pool is that far below. I cant imagine that AW was offered a huge raise leading to his departure.

Underpaying assistants doesn't really fit with what Bates has done either. For all his faults, he made a point to pay bball assistants as well as Addazio (even Christian got a raise over what Donahue made, not much but it is more), why would anyone think that the FB assistants pool would be treated differently.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:47 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

2013:

2017:

idk enough

You should have stopped right there.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:52 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Why don't you marry Creighton?

jesuits wouldn't support it.

i know why you you'd like to marry creighton

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 pm

BC doesn't pay below market for assistants. They are all making in the six figures in base salary alone. They also get a car, various perks (like free education for kids), performance bonuses, camp money, etc. The cost of living does suck compared to small college towns or even a place like Cincy, but there is nothing BC can do about that. Even if you bumped every staffers' salary by 100k, that doesn't mean that a 500k house in suburban Cincy is not going to be more attractive than a 500k in suburban Boston.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:30 pm

but but but our lord and savior don brown makes more than $1 million/year. how can we compete with that

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium