Unofficial other bowl games thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Unofficial other bowl games thread

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:46 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Daz is like a career military guy who can speak eloquently and authoritatively about the Art of War. But, as soon the bullets start flying, he plays dead... remembering what you're supposed to do for a bear attack (even though not a single one has occurred at Alumni since Bates has taken over).

When the bullets flew, TOB always got the pencils and coffee filter order forms filled out and in the outbox.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 am

Maybe he's lavender? Those folk get nuts when things get tight.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:54 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:He refers to a QB having "it"... I think something similar is present in successful coaches and with Daz it seems to be absent. Essentially, Daz seems to be the Towles of coaches.

https://twitter.com/patty_ice_8/status/ ... 2004984836

Tahj Kimble sighting in there.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 am

My guess is Daz suffers from severe ADD or has some type of mood disorder.
He lets his emotions and the events around him affect his judgement during times of stress.

This combined with his conservative play calling limits his upside.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:00 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:Supposedly, Logan was a dude who still operated at a very high level when everything went to Hell

The Boston Herald {l Wrote}:There is also a confidence that Logan imparts to his players - about playing to win, not lose - that has changed the attitude at BC. When BC fell quickly behind Wake Forest, 14-0, which was aided by an interception return for a touchdown, Jagodzinski said to Logan, "Loags, we're down, 14-0." Logan's response was, "Don't worry about it."

And when BC was up by a touchdown in the third quarter, Logan was running the no-huddle offense rather than taking time off the clock. BC marched 45 yards in 1:47, which secured the victory.

"It's been amazing, the feeling it gives us to have the best chance of winning," said athletic director Gene DeFilippo. "Rather than not to lose."
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The Boston Herald {l Wrote}:
"It's been amazing, the feeling it gives us to have the best chance of winning," said athletic director Gene DeFilippo. "Rather than not to lose."

and it's been 10 years since we've been able to say that
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:51 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The Boston Herald {l Wrote}:

and it's been 10 years since we've been able to say that

Because... GDF went against what he told ESPN and wound up promoting Spaz instead of Logan. This program is in a much different place if the didn't make that mind-numbing decision.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Mike_S on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:14 am

I didn't realize Daz was on the coaches channel and was just watching the main broadcast. Amazed by the comments in this thread about how good/insightful he was during much of the game. I read his post-game comments and can't understand what he's trying to say -- they mostly make no sense at all!!

Also: While I'm glad Clemson won it, the last play leaves me a little sour. Watson held the ball a bit long for the situation, meaning that if the play failed, it likely would have run out the clock and not left time for a field goal. Meanwhile they also got away with a pretty obvious pick on the play. If I remember correctly, ND lost a game in the last year or two (either vs. Clemson or FSU) with a similar play at the end when the refs called it. I know the refs usually swallow their whistle at the end, but if they called it there either Clemson loses or at best gets it to OT.

Finally: I think Alabama hurt themselves a lot by going with the pass on their second-to-last possession leading by three with about 7 minutes to go. Clemson's defense was tiring, and they threw on both second and third down resulting in no first down and leaving 6 minutes left on the clock. Given the strength of their interior line, I felt like power or QB running (at least on second down) would have resulted in a better chance at the first down and running the clock down. A few first downs right there would have put Clemson in a lot of trouble and kept their own defense a little fresher for the end of the game.

Tremendous fourth quarter though, and great win for Clemson. Their receivers were incredible late in the game.
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:21 am

Mike_S {l Wrote}:While I'm glad Clemson won it, the last play leaves me a little sour. Watson held the ball a bit long for the situation, meaning that if the play failed, it likely would have run out the clock and not left time for a field goal.

He caught the ball in the end zone and there was one second on the clock. The only way that play could have "failed" was with an incompletion. Which would have allowed for the FG. That said, when you make that call with 5 seconds left, you are playing for the win, and are willing to take the risks. If you are worried about saving time for the FG you just kick it with 5 seconds, as Daz suggested. Watson was able to do both, run a good play to win and preserve time if needed.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:31 am

Mike_S {l Wrote}:I didn't realize Daz was on the coaches channel and was just watching the main broadcast. Amazed by the comments in this thread about how good/insightful he was during much of the game. I read his post-game comments and can't understand what he's trying to say -- they mostly make no sense at all!!

Also: While I'm glad Clemson won it, the last play leaves me a little sour. Watson held the ball a bit long for the situation, meaning that if the play failed, it likely would have run out the clock and not left time for a field goal. Meanwhile they also got away with a pretty obvious pick on the play. If I remember correctly, ND lost a game in the last year or two (either vs. Clemson or FSU) with a similar play at the end when the refs called it. I know the refs usually swallow their whistle at the end, but if they called it there either Clemson loses or at best gets it to OT.

Finally: I think Alabama hurt themselves a lot by going with the pass on their second-to-last possession leading by three with about 7 minutes to go. Clemson's defense was tiring, and they threw on both second and third down resulting in no first down and leaving 6 minutes left on the clock. Given the strength of their interior line, I felt like power or QB running (at least on second down) would have resulted in a better chance at the first down and running the clock down. A few first downs right there would have put Clemson in a lot of trouble and kept their own defense a little fresher for the end of the game.

Tremendous fourth quarter though, and great win for Clemson. Their receivers were incredible late in the game.

There's a few articles out there today discussing the illegal pick rule and whether Clemson "got away with it" last night.

General consensus:
1) First TD pick not at all illegal. The Clemson player turned around and squared up as a receiver before the ball was thrown. Even though he was clearly picking, this act of turning around means that his intention is to be a receiver, therefore because contact is allowed within first 5 yards it's legal.

2) Final TD also clearly a pick, but apparently from better replay angles you can see that the Clemson player fell down in front of the Alabama defender and the defender lost his balance trying to get around him. Either way, there was no contact apparently which also means it wasn't technically illegal.

Both plays were grey areas under the rules where the refs certainly could've thrown a flag based on a judgement call. Basically, both clearly picks, but neither clearly an illegal pick.

Also, saw an article comparing directly to that ND call a few years ago. Apparently on that play the ND receiver initiated contact, blocked, and never showed any intention to act as a receiver. No grey area there. That's the definition of an illegal pick.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:50 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:There's a few articles out there today discussing the illegal pick rule and whether Clemson "got away with it" last night.

I thought Alabama got away with two brutal head shots last night. The first one was discussed and a rules expert said it was ok even though it didn't make any sense to me (I am no rules expert). There was another where an Alabama player used the top of his helmet and hit a Clemson player on the bottom of his face mask to the point that the white stripe on the middle of the Crimson helmet was sticking straight up in the air after making contact with the facemask. I am not sure if they even discussed it on tv about whether it was a brutal shot. They did replay it a few times though.

Alabama's D was nasty. Or started out nasty. I mean they were just freaking animals out there in the first half. I think they tired as the game got along. Clemson's plan seemed to work, they ran more plays than they wanted and in the end it may have helped them win.

Boulware seemed to behave himself last night.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 am

Mike_S {l Wrote}:I didn't realize Daz was on the coaches channel and was just watching the main broadcast. Amazed by the comments in this thread about how good/insightful he was during much of the game. I read his post-game comments and can't understand what he's trying to say -- they mostly make no sense at all!!

ESPN still has the Coaches Film Room archived and you can watch it for yourself. It is excellent TV.

Here are Twitter comments about Daz during the show... they are about as entertaining as the broadcast.
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&ver ... pd&lang=en
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:55 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:There's a few articles out there today discussing the illegal pick rule and whether Clemson "got away with it" last night.

I thought Alabama got away with two brutal head shots last night.

They took head shots at Watson and Williams. I don't think that it was a coincidence that it was Clemson's two best players. My bet is that if this was the NFL (and it wasn't the Dolphins in the playoffs), both would've been under concussion protocol. Williams was in and out during the game. It seemed to take a while for both to clear the cobwebs and start playing like they are capable of. It was deliberate and dirty in my opinion. But... that's Saban and that was the National Championship game.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 am

General consensus:

2) Final TD also clearly a pick, but apparently from better replay angles you can see that the Clemson player fell down in front of the Alabama defender and the defender lost his balance trying to get around him. Either way, there was no contact apparently which also means it wasn't technically illegal.

If you watched the final play, Bama's CB was actually trying to take a holding penalty on that final pick play. He tackled the WR trying to make the pick which resulted in the other CB never being touched, but required him to run around the two of them on the ground.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 pm

It also seemed like Alabama got away with a lot of offensive holdings...

General consensus seems to be that Big 12 refs suck. Though I wouldn't have the courage to say it to their faces. Big men.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

General consensus:

If you watched the final play, Bama's CB was actually trying to take a holding penalty on that final pick play. He tackled the WR trying to make the pick which resulted in the other CB never being touched, but required him to run around the two of them on the ground.

Yeah, San Fransisco did this a few weeks ago. 7 seconds left and up 3, all 4 CB's just flat out tackled all 4 WR's directly off the snap. Sure, it's PI but it runs 5 seconds off the clock and forces the FG.

Might be worth considering a rule change. If there's less than 15 seconds on the clock and there's defensive PI, as part of the penalty in addition to the yardage the clock gets reset to where it was presnap.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:They took head shots at Watson and Williams. I don't think that it was a coincidence that it was Clemson's two best players.

no question they were going after both of them, especially deshaun. apparently not all helmet to helmets are targeting? not sure if that's the case but if it's not they both should've been tossed

the last td wasn't a pick play at
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:They took head shots at Watson and Williams. I don't think that it was a coincidence that it was Clemson's two best players.

no question they were going after both of them, especially deshaun. apparently not all helmet to helmets are targeting? not sure if that's the case but if it's not they both should've been tossed

the last td wasn't a pick play at

I believe in college targeting requires either lowering you head and leading with the crown of your helmet or "launching" yourself at a players upper body/head.

That said, college still has a separate shot to the head penalty that could've been called.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Does anyone have a link to the Bama Radio call on that final TD? I haven't heard it and wondered what they were saying during that final drive.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

ESPN still has the Coaches Film Room archived and you can watch it for yourself. It is excellent TV.

Here are Twitter comments about Daz during the show... they are about as entertaining as the broadcast.

Guy from the Longhorn network:

Alex Loeb ‏@SpanningTheLoeb 3h3 hours ago
ESPN Coaches Film Room was brilliant. BC's Steve Addazio & BU's Matt Rhule really stood out.

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

General consensus:

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Somehow I missed this awesomeness

"When you've got a dude at quarterback, anything's possible." - Steve Addazio
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Guy from the Longhorn network:

Alex Loeb ‏@SpanningTheLoeb 3h3 hours ago
ESPN Coaches Film Room was brilliant. BC's Steve Addazio & BU's Matt Rhule really stood out.

gluttony
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Somehow I missed this awesomeness

"When you've got a dude at quarterback, anything's possible." - Steve Addazio

envy
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Arif Hasan @ArifHasanNFL 13h13 hours ago
a buddy cop show starring dino babers and steve addazio
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:27 pm

This reminded me of the whole thing last night where Addazio talked about putting two back for the rugby punt and the counter being to fake (ball was on Clem 40). Of course, this from a guy that never fakes and punts from the other 40, never mind his own 40. The follow up?

Studley ‏@Studley 13h13 hours ago
Addazio, to the other coaches: "If we play any of you guys, just know that I'm gonna fake it every time."

I'm telling you, up until the end, Addazio was on fire last night.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:28 pm

More context on that - the other coaches kept calling for fakes all game. Every punt.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Steven ‏@akulawolf 14h14 hours ago
Addazio could talk about offensive line play for 34 consecutive hours, at least

Another highlight was when they were speaking in tongues about 2 TEs leading the end around.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:More context on that - the other coaches kept calling for fakes all game. Every punt.

More context... that was because of this a few years ago...
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Bill BarnwellVerified account ‏@billbarnwell 14h14 hours ago
Steve Addazio is bald and loves Frank Pepe’s so he is basically me
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium