Landry NFL

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Landry NFL

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Firing TOB most certainly worked, just saying. That's not the firing that caused all the problems.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Landry staying would be absolutely awesome for the program and no (appropriate) Daz-hating belongs connected with this kind of news. Good day for BC if true.

For Harold, come back!

As for the broader question of when any CFB player should declare as a junior, declaring to get drafted is bullshit. Declaring because you think you can go top 3 rounds is also bullshit, I think. Declaring because you're a lock on the first round is reasonable. But honestly, even if you're 75% sure of being 1st round, what's wrong with coming back for pride and the huge $$$ bump that would come from jumping into a top 5 pick.

Anyone think Harold can't go top 5 in '18???
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:24 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:sounds like he's coming back:

@McMurphyESPN
Boston College DE Harold Landry returning for senior season, source told @ESPN. Landry led country in sacks & forced fumbles. Huge for BC

I hope to God this is true.

Because that makes it all the more likely that we make a bowl game and Daz returns for Year 6. Could an extension be on the horizon?

Exactly. Hanse logic at its finest!!!

How can you two paint with a broad brush when we don't even know who will be making the next decision on the head coach. Is this nobody can be worse than Chris Crane logic?

Rather than be subjected to a petulant, excuse making dingus oscillating this program between 3 and 7 wins due to the horrid product he roles out onto the field for the foreseeable future, it would be much better for the program to fire him and bring in someone new. Even if the new hire fails, BC could fire them and start the process over in a couple of years, would be much better than potentially being stuck with Daz for 10 + years. And that is the real danger, that Daz makes it to the last year of his contract, has a cupcake schedule and eeks out 8 wins and a 3-4 year extension.

So to sum it up, he is a bad coach who has a low ceiling and will eventually be fired (I think we can all see that). Instead of sitting through this crap and having no hope of being competitive in the ACC for the next 3 years, which, barring something bizarre eventually ends in him getting canned anyway, the program should fire him and take a chance sooner rather than later.

And who would do the hiring? Presumably the new AD because Daz won't be fired this year. (In an ideal world, they would have fired Bates and Daz last year and the new AD would have made a hire). And yes, we can guess at how that new AD may handle the hire, but its very unlikely that anyone would have any real insight into the process beforehand, so its all really rolling the dice.

I have some bad news for you. With Clemson, FSU and Louisville all at a high point (all will be in the Top 10 to start next year), BC is not going to be competitive in the ACC. It's going to take a down cycle from those teams to win a conference title.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:26 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:sounds like he's coming back:

@McMurphyESPN
Boston College DE Harold Landry returning for senior season, source told @ESPN. Landry led country in sacks & forced fumbles. Huge for BC

I hope to God this is true.

Because that makes it all the more likely that we make a bowl game and Daz returns for Year 6. Could an extension be on the horizon?

Exactly. Hanse logic at its finest!!!

How can you two paint with a broad brush when we don't even know who will be making the next decision on the head coach. Is this nobody can be worse than Chris Crane logic?

Rather than be subjected to a petulant, excuse making dingus oscillating this program between 3 and 7 wins due to the horrid product he roles out onto the field for the foreseeable future, it would be much better for the program to fire him and bring in someone new. Even if the new hire fails, BC could fire them and start the process over in a couple of years, which would be much better than potentially being stuck with Daz for 10 + years. And that is the real danger, that Daz makes it to the last year of his contract, has a cupcake schedule and eeks out 8 wins and a 3-4 year extension.

So to sum it up, he is a bad coach who has a low ceiling and will eventually be fired (I think we can all see that). Instead of sitting through this crap and having no hope of being competitive in the ACC for the next 3 years, which eventually ends in him getting canned anyway, the program should fire him and take a chance sooner rather than later.

And who would do the hiring? Presumably the new AD because Daz won't be fired this year. (In an ideal world, they would have fired Bates and Daz last year and the new AD would have made a hire). And yes, we can guess at how that new AD may handle the hire, but its very unlikely that anyone would have any real insight into the process beforehand, so its all really rolling the dice.

we did all this with tob. it's what got us to where we are now.

you'll have to forgive those of us that were already following the program in 2006 and know that you don't just fire somebody because anybody else has to be better. it can always ALWAYS get worse

1. Daz is not TOB, not even close

2. You can make the argument that firing TOB actually worked, I am not one to make that argument.

3. I get that it can always get worse, see the Spaz years that you reference.

4. Your logic normalizes mediocrity.

5. Due to the number of quality candidates this year, firing Daz would have been justified by the fact that the program was getting a proven upgrade, and not just because people were sick of the status quo. We wouldn't have ended up with a Dude coming off his second year head coaching with a 4 win season at Temple

What realistic hire did you want this year? And don't say Kiffin BC wouldn't hire him literally in a million years.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:29 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:As for the broader question of when any CFB player should declare as a junior, declaring to get drafted is bullshit. Declaring because you think you can go top 3 rounds is also bullshit, I think. Declaring because you're a lock on the first round is reasonable. But honestly, even if you're 75% sure of being 1st round, what's wrong with coming back for pride and the huge $$$ bump that would come from jumping into a top 5 pick.

If the NFL tells you that you're a lock for the 1st round, you have to go. First round picks get a lot more guaranteed money and they get team options that players drafted in other rounds don't qualify for.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:40 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:As for the broader question of when any CFB player should declare as a junior, declaring to get drafted is bullshit. Declaring because you think you can go top 3 rounds is also bullshit, I think. Declaring because you're a lock on the first round is reasonable. But honestly, even if you're 75% sure of being 1st round, what's wrong with coming back for pride and the huge $$$ bump that would come from jumping into a top 5 pick.

because jaylon smith happens

get paid
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:53 pm

If the NFL tells you that you're a lock for the 1st round, you have to go. First round picks get a lot more guaranteed money and they get team options that players drafted in other rounds don't qualify for.

I honestly don't know the answer to this, what's the payout for going #1-5 vs 5-20 vs. 20-32...Just picking random distinctions. My sense is that #5 gets a helluva lot more than #30. Would not at all be surprised if I'm wrong though...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Firing TOB most certainly worked, just saying. That's not the firing that caused all the problems.

:toby did not get fired by BC. He "quit." That worked out for BC.

What caused all the problems is Jags getting fired. And I'm not putting that ALL on Greasy Gene. He warned Jags not to interview. Now maybe Gene was wrong to warn Jags (since Jags didn't really give him a choice) but he was warned.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:40 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

I honestly don't know the answer to this, what's the payout for going #1-5 vs 5-20 vs. 20-32...Just picking random distinctions. My sense is that #5 gets a helluva lot more than #30. Would not at all be surprised if I'm wrong though...

Google is a magnificent invention.

And your premise is flawed. It looks like players get 8 million for going in the first round, based on that, if your a first round pick, you go... 8 Million in the hand is worth more than 30 million in the bush

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer ... 4ea6047036

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-draf ... ues-2016-4

$8 million minus the 20% your agent gets, minus the 40% the government gets and you're talking $3.2 million.

If you ask me, I'd risk the $3.2 million for a shot at $12 million. That's a big lifestyle difference there. :-)
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:58 pm

When I think of Landry's decision to return, I'm reminded of the wise words of Billy Madison:

"That...I...accident...m-mistake...tit..."
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:36 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

W
And your premise is flawed. It looks like players get 8 million for going in the first round, based on that, if your a first round pick, you go... 8 Million in the hand is worth more than 30 million in the bush

$8 million minus the 20% your agent gets, minus the 40% the government gets and you're talking $3.2 million.

If you ask me, I'd risk the $3.2 million for a shot at $12 million. That's a big lifestyle difference there. :-)

Used to be able to insure against career ending injury. Not sure if that is still possible though.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:37 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

W

Used to be able to insure against career ending injury. Not sure if that is still possible though.

I want to know who is paying their agent 20%. :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:46 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

W

I want to know who is paying their agent 20%. :shrug

Whoever it is, it is fairly certain he didn't get Academic AA honors.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 am

No way an agent gets 20%. I'd bet 5% across sports leagues and it seems the NFL says 3%
http://work.chron.com/average-sports-ag ... 21083.html
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:19 am

paging Ben Roethlisberger....
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:38 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

W

Wasn't this part of the new players compensation reforms? Who knows how to google?
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:50 am

You can. It's typically based on draft position. For example, Jaylon Smith got a payout last year when he busted his knee up in the bowl game and fell to the second but Myles Jack didn't because his policy only covered if he dropped past 45. It's of course much easier to front that premium for one game than it is for a whole season, not to mention working with Lloyd's or whomever to figure out what the baseline expectations are of your draft status.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium