Can we all just agree that Addazio is a terrible head coach?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Can we all just agree that Addazio is a terrible head coach?

Postby angrychicken on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:52 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:...and now at least has the numbers and talent back up to an acceptable level.

Really? Two conference wins is "acceptable ". Lowered bar.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:58 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:...and now at least has the numbers and talent back up to an acceptable level.

By numbers, he was not referring to wins, but good agenda trying to claim one of the biggest bitchers on the board is lowering the bar.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:00 pm

To explain further, the talent level was 8-4 (4-4), which is acceptable. Bad coaching cost two games, which is not. That's why he is a bad coach, but has at least brought the talent and numbers up to acceptable levels. No bar lowering.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:To explain further, the talent level was 8-4 (4-4), which is acceptable. Bad coaching cost two games, which is not. That's why he is a bad coach, but has at least brought the talent and numbers up to acceptable levels. No bar lowering.

It's exactly this
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

You're not very smart are you?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:To explain further, the talent level was 8-4 (4-4), which is acceptable. Bad coaching cost two games, which is not. That's why he is a bad coach, but has at least brought the talent and numbers up to acceptable levels. No bar lowering.

Don't forget to factor in the 4 white washings.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:33 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

You're not very smart are you?

Huh? Please explain your question considering the title of this thread.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Don't forget to factor in the 4 white washings.

I believe the preferred nomenclature is curb-stompings.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:21 pm

BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:01 pm

I'm not sure you are going to get everyone to agree with your topic.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13437
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:21 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:He's terrible. Bad oline after four years. Really bad. Still doesn't have anyone better than awful Towles to play QB. Our offense is bottom of the barrel in Div I again this year. NCState and Wake almost gave us those two games. He gave away the GTECH game. Syracuse passed us silly. Four of the worst blowouts in BC history. And, recruiting is dismal. What would we be saying if we were 0-8 again in the ACC this year -- which we easily could be?

We beat Wake but the offense looked retarded for most of the game.

USC, 2014: the Trojans didn't get off the plane; it was chilly and wet; they thought the game was over by the second quarter -- as it had been the year before; their coach didn't stop trying to run the ball until too late; and we had Murphy. Almost any team can be beaten if it does not take the opponent seriously from the get go.

Let's not go full retard here.

I agree, step off the ledge. Addazio is mainly stubborn as hell and will never stray from his conservative run first strategy. With that being said, he was dealt about the worst hand you could be dealt with regards to the offensive line when he took over for Spaz (who couldn't have left him in a worse spot from pure numbers than he did), the most important piece to his system. The line grew from last year to this year (its still not where they need it), but he showed in years 1 and 2 that he can take mature guys and run the ball. Having Loeffler around for another year will help as his offensives at VT all took steps forward YoY.

The recruiting has taken a slight dip from year 1, but you cant honestly sit here and say that BC's talent level is that far behind anyone else in the league (excluding the top level). Losing Paye wasnt ideal this cycle, but it sounds like they are in position with a few guys to finish strong going into NSD now that the season is over so let it play out.

Bottom line is, were stuck with him for another year, but you cant say that the program is in a worse spot than when he took over. Its up to the administration to get the next hire right and take it to the next level. Hopefully by that time we have a competent AD and a president/BOT that can run the athletic department like adults.

"... cant say that the program is in a worse spot than when he took over." Wow! You can't set the bar much lower than that! Sounds like something Leahy might say.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagletx on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:15 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:Did you guys see this? http://captiongenerator.com/235852/Steve-Addazio

I can't t stop laughing....that is priceless! Thanks Dee. I needed that!
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Dan Henning was fired 20 years ago with the following record:

1996-Boston College (Big East)

8/31 @ Hawaii (2-10) W 24 21
9/14 vs. *Virginia Tech (10-2) L 7 45
9/21 @ Michigan (8-4) L 14 20
9/28 vs. Navy (9-3) W 43 38
10/5 @ *West Virginia (8-4) L 17 34
10/12 @ Cincinnati (6-5) W 24 17
10/19 vs. *Rutgers (2-9) W 37 13
10/26 vs. *Syracuse (9-3) L 17 45
10/31 @ *Pittsburgh (4-7) L 13 20
11/9 vs. Notre Dame (8-3) L 21 48
11/16 vs. *Temple (1-10) W 21 20
11/23 @ *Miami (Florida) (9-3) L 26 43

Cannot get better proof of how low the bar has been set. Dan Henning the coach that we thought at the time was the worst ever would have gone 7-5 swapping out Michigan and ND with [Insert any 2 of our OOC opponents]. His 4-8 season becomes 8-4 if ND, Michigan, Michigan State and OSU are changed to UConn, UMass, Buffalo and Wagner. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:Dan Henning was fired 20 years ago with the following record:

1996-Boston College (Big East)

8/31 @ Hawaii (2-10) W 24 21
9/14 vs. *Virginia Tech (10-2) L 7 45
9/21 @ Michigan (8-4) L 14 20
9/28 vs. Navy (9-3) W 43 38
10/5 @ *West Virginia (8-4) L 17 34
10/12 @ Cincinnati (6-5) W 24 17
10/19 vs. *Rutgers (2-9) W 37 13
10/26 vs. *Syracuse (9-3) L 17 45
10/31 @ *Pittsburgh (4-7) L 13 20
11/9 vs. Notre Dame (8-3) L 21 48
11/16 vs. *Temple (1-10) W 21 20
11/23 @ *Miami (Florida) (9-3) L 26 43

Cannot get better proof of how low the bar has been set. Dan Henning the coach that we thought at the time was the worst ever would have gone 7-5 swapping out Michigan and ND with [Insert any 2 of our OOC opponents]. His 4-8 season becomes 8-4 if ND, Michigan, Michigan State and OSU are changed to UConn, UMass, Buffalo and Wagner. :ace

I think you're leaving out a teensy weensy little detail about Henning's tenure which may have contributed to his "retirement."
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:...I think you're leaving out a teensy weensy little detail about Henning's tenure which may have contributed to his "retirement."

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Manny on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:19 pm

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:He's terrible. Bad oline after four years. Really bad. Still doesn't have anyone better than awful Towles to play QB. Our offense is bottom of the barrel in Div I again this year. NCState and Wake almost gave us those two games. He gave away the GTECH game. Syracuse passed us silly. Four of the worst blowouts in BC history. And, recruiting is dismal. What would we be saying if we were 0-8 again in the ACC this year -- which we easily could be?

USC, 2014: the Trojans didn't get off the plane; it was chilly and wet; they thought the game was over by the second quarter -- as it had been the year before; their coach didn't stop trying to run the ball until too late; and we had Murphy. Almost any team can be beaten if it does not take the opponent seriously from the get go.

I agree, step off the ledge. Addazio is mainly stubborn as hell and will never stray from his conservative run first strategy. With that being said, he was dealt about the worst hand you could be dealt with regards to the offensive line when he took over for Spaz (who couldn't have left him in a worse spot from pure numbers than he did), the most important piece to his system. The line grew from last year to this year (its still not where they need it), but he showed in years 1 and 2 that he can take mature guys and run the ball. Having Loeffler around for another year will help as his offensives at VT all took steps forward YoY.

The recruiting has taken a slight dip from year 1, but you cant honestly sit here and say that BC's talent level is that far behind anyone else in the league (excluding the top level). Losing Paye wasnt ideal this cycle, but it sounds like they are in position with a few guys to finish strong going into NSD now that the season is over so let it play out.

Bottom line is, were stuck with him for another year, but you cant say that the program is in a worse spot than when he took over. Its up to the administration to get the next hire right and take it to the next level. Hopefully by that time we have a competent AD and a president/BOT that can run the athletic department like adults.

"... cant say that the program is in a worse spot than when he took over." Wow! You can't set the bar much lower than that! Sounds like something Leahy might say.

Ever to Whatever
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:32 pm

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'm in no way saying that anyone here should be satisfied with what 2016 turned out to be, or the trajectory this is on, but the bottom line is, we're stuck with Coach Thinkskin for 2017. If you can't objectively take a step back and realize that this is in a better spot now than it was at the end of Spaziani, then you're a dope.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:56 pm

by HJS on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:49 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
Daz is and will continue to be a 6-8 win coach every year assuming we don't start anymore walk-ons at QB. Some year with a veteran OLine he may hit 10 wins but this won't be the norm.

The BC Administration is going to have to decide if that is sufficient.

He is basically :toby .

The calls from Jhiggi and others that this team is going to win 3 games and lose by 50 to NCST next year are ridiculous. He'll win 6-8, he'all probably beat ND and leave a game or two on the table.

I don't think there is any chance in hell that Daz every wins 10. He coaches himself out of close games... and we will never have enough talent to be vastly supperior over 10 opponents on the schedule. As much as I don't like Toby, I think it does him a disservice to say that he is as bad as Daz. I think Daz is below TOB and above Spaz. In the vaunted pantheon of shitty BC coaches, I think Daz falls pretty close to Henning.

Besides the fact that both are frustratingly conservative on offense, Daz & TOB couldn't be more different. I agree that overall, TOB is the better HC.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:07 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

eepstein0 wrote:
Daz is and will continue to be a 6-8 win coach every year assuming we don't start anymore walk-ons at QB. Some year with a veteran OLine he may hit 10 wins but this won't be the norm.

The calls from Jhiggi and others that this team is going to win 3 games and lose by 50 to NCST next year are ridiculous. He'll win 6-8, he'all probably beat ND and leave a game or two on the table.

I don't think there is any chance in hell that Daz every wins 10. He coaches himself out of close games... and we will never have enough talent to be vastly supperior over 10 opponents on the schedule. As much as I don't like Toby, I think it does him a disservice to say that he is as bad as Daz. I think Daz is below TOB and above Spaz. In the vaunted pantheon of shitty BC coaches, I think Daz falls pretty close to Henning.

Besides the fact that both are frustratingly conservative on offense, Daz & TOB couldn't be more different. I agree that overall, TOB is the better HC.

Recruiting: Generally equal.
Talent Development: TOB wins.
Student Development: TOB and his unethical, selfish scruples loses.
Game Management: TOB wins.
Inspiring/Motivating Players: Daz wins.
Media Personality: Daz wins.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:15 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

eepstein0 wrote:

Recruiting: Generally equal. No comparison
Talent Development: TOB wins.
Student Development: TOB and his unethical, selfish scruples loses. TOB redshirted almost everyone and they all left BC with Master's Degrees
Game Management: TOB wins.
Inspiring/Motivating Players: Daz wins.
Media Personality: Daz wins.

fyp
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:13 pm

TOB wins game management? Have people forgotten the numerous times the QB threw to the TE in the flat for a 2 yd gain on 3rd and 8 or worse?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:59 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:TOB wins game management? Have people forgotten the numerous times the QB threw to the TE in the flat for a 2 yd gain on 3rd and 8 or worse?

I have never seen a coach worse at game/clock management than the Dazzler. TOB was just a puss.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:07 pm

TOBY makes Daz look like Bill Walsh. How soon you forget.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:34 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

eepstein0 wrote:

The guys are different. Their results in the long-term are going to be awfully similar.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:35 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:TOB wins game management? Have people forgotten the numerous times the QB threw to the TE in the flat for a 2 yd gain on 3rd and 8 or worse?

Daz loves the 2 yard crossing route on 3rd and 8 to one of our slow plodding WRs.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:31 pm

HJS wrote: A good coach does what Daz did in Year 1 and 2... do what you can to win as many games with the talent you inherited.

However, that's what you do while you are building the team you want. That's where Daz has failed. He hasn't a clue what he wants his Offense to look like... so it looks like shit. The sudden move to a drop-back/pro-style offense was a signal that he didn't have a fucking clue.

I think we focus on his terrible game day management , but this lack of a focus on what kind of team he wants is just as bad. In Daz' first two years, and in the interview after Day left, he always said that the "Daz" offense was the spread-option. Then all of a sudden he said he was a "pro-style" guy. Now, who knows? I am not sure what style offense we have run the last two years except that it sucks (3 total TDs against NIU & Wake).
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:24 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS wrote: A good coach does what Daz did in Year 1 and 2... do what you can to win as many games with the talent you inherited.

However, that's what you do while you are building the team you want. That's where Daz has failed. He hasn't a clue what he wants his Offense to look like... so it looks like shit. The sudden move to a drop-back/pro-style offense was a signal that he didn't have a fucking clue.

I think we focus on his terrible game day management , but this lack of a focus on what kind of team he wants is just as bad. In Daz' first two years, and in the interview after Day left, he always said that the "Daz" offense was the spread-option. Then all of a sudden he said he was a "pro-style" guy. Now, who knows? I am not sure what style offense we have run the last two years except that it sucks (3 total TDs against NIU & Wake).

During the halftime show of the 'SC game wannstache discussed how Stanford runs its program. They recruit to Stanford's style and they win a lot of games. The heinz hammer sucks a dick. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

The offense is also way too complicated for the players he has.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:49 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

The offense is also way too complicated for the coaches players he has.

Fixed.

Outside of maybe Duke, Stanford and Northwestern, there is no group of football player who are more capable intellectually. If these kids don't understand the offense, it's because it hasn't been taught. Or, more likely, it is because there actually isn't any offense to understand.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

The offense is also way too complicated for the coaches players he has.

Fixed.

Outside of maybe Duke, Stanford and Northwestern, there is no group of football player who are more capable intellectually. If these kids don't understand the offense, it's because it hasn't been taught. Or, more likely, it is because there actually isn't any offense to understand.

The Al Skinner approach.
Got it.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium