2016-17 Coaching Carousel Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016-17 Coaching Carousel Thread

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:04 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:You are all undervaluing Power 5 jobs. Debate the worst all you want but it is all subjective. It is like saying which winning Powerball ticket is the worst. You still have a winning lottery ticket. There are only so many Power 5 jobs and hundreds of guys who want the money and their shot. You only turn down a Power 5 job is you already have one somewhere else that is more secure.

I appreciate that fact, but we're ranking the P5 jobs.

Right and it is basically subjective. Take Tom Hermann. He picked Texas over LSU. I could give you ten reasons why LSU is better, but he wanted Texas. Look at Gary Anderson leaving Wisconsin for Oregon State. He left a "better" job because of fit. He didn't want to deal with Alvarez and felt more comfortable on the West Coast and a school where he could recruit JuCos.

Purdue might have more money than BC, but it is a much harder place to win and has been a career killer. BC has seen coaches move on to other jobs and have success. But my original point is that most of these coaches are dumb/arrogant enough to think they will be the next Tom Coughlin when they could just as easily be Spaz. They just want a shot.

In the ACC alone, BC is better than Wake and Duke (Cutcliffe is an outlier). You could argue that BC is better job than Pitt, Cuse, NCSU, and Virginia. It depends on the coach and what he is looking for.

BC needs to make the job better and we haven't made great hires, but that doesn't mean the job is bad.

First... BC coaches haven't "moved on to other jobs and have success". Well... not since Coughlin at least. BC basically represents a coach's apex. That's the euphamistic way of saying it has been a career killer.

Second... I have said that you can make a strong argument that it is currently the worst P5 job. I'm not saying it has always been that way. I'm not saying that there isn't immense potential. I'm saying that given the significant institutional hurdles that have been self-imposed, it is a job that is significantly hamstrung.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:52 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I would say that the only P5 school that might be considered a worse job is Wake Forest.

Crazy talk. Off the top of my giant head...

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Missississississippippippippi state
Oregon

B1G and SEC money put those schools on a different level. Not to mention they all have much better fan support. And Oregon has Nike money.

You probably don't make it to Alumni too often or live in Boston to fully appreciate the irrelevance.

I do. BC is much better than most of those jobs. Y'all are stupid.

You did not present any facts.

Don't need to. This argument is fucking stupid

Facts. Please present them.

No. There aren't any. On either side. Maybe your coach is Catholic and likes church. Maybe he prefers a big city to Piscataway or Lafayette. Maybe he wants his teenage kid to have a BC diploma. It's all speculation.

t's a dumb fucking argument.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:50 pm

HJS is right about all of the self imposed hurdles that Leahy has put in place. This is why we need BC grads running BC. That does not mean every coach has to be a grad,but the administration needs to run by BC grads, not fucking St Louis, Boston St, Springfield or Michigan grads! They all have proven not to have the passion for or the belief that BC can be great in football and hoops.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I would say that the only P5 school that might be considered a worse job is Wake Forest.

Crazy talk. Off the top of my giant head...

Illinois
Vanderbilt
Indiana
Baylor
Missississississippippippippi state
Oregon

B1G and SEC money put those schools on a different level. Not to mention they all have much better fan support. And Oregon has Nike money.

You probably don't make it to Alumni too often or live in Boston to fully appreciate the irrelevance.

I do. BC is much better than most of those jobs. Y'all are stupid.

You did not present any facts.

Don't need to. This argument is fucking stupid

Facts. Please present them.

No. There aren't any. On either side. Maybe your coach is Catholic and likes church. Maybe he prefers a big city to Piscataway or Lafayette. Maybe he wants his teenage kid to have a BC diploma. It's all speculation.

t's a dumb fucking argument.

It's this. We pay Daz like middle of the road ACC $, you get to live in Boston and you'll have the facilities you'll need relatively soon. BC isn't a bad job you can be successful here pretty easily.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:17 pm

According to one article from 2015, it's Tier 5 (bottom tier) - http://thebiglead.com/2015/10/13/colleg ... ings-2015/
The tiered ranking system is probably most appropriate given that there are some subjective measures involved. I think it's fair to put us in the bottom tier.

Another article from 2014 (before these last two disaster years) had us at 60. Ahead of KSU, WSU, ISU, Kansas, Indiana, WFU, and Duke - http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... -jobs-2014

ESPN has their rankings as well, but I don't pay for Insider so not sure where they put us.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:22 pm

"Ty Duffy
Ty is a Senior Writer for The Big Lead. He attended the University of Michigan. He likes his meals prodigious and his whiskey neat. He is based in Detroit."
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:02 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:ESPN had them at the 66 best job out of 129 and the 9th worst p 5 job heading into this season... pretty spot on. Maybe they should be a place or two higher but they are definitely in the bottom tier of P5.

Again, any average coach should be able to get 6-8 wins at a P5 school. Load up on the cupcake OOC teams (like they have been doing recently) and beat the conference teams that are really on a down year.

Addazio has 7 wins in 3 of the first 4 years here and we all agree he is pretty dreadful. He's just not as bad as some of you make him out to be.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:37 pm

Yes he is as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Please, stop talking about overall wins and focus on his conference record, that is all that really matters. Ask yourself this question, do you believe Daz will ever have a winning conference record? If you answer yes, move onto the next question. Do you think Daz will ever win the division? His clock management and turtle offense tell me No to question #1.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:59 pm

yes, focus on wins and losses and ignore the blowouts, shitty opponents, and infuriatingly boring offense
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:25 pm

Looks like Chip Kelly is gone...not that we would have had even a tiny chance of landing him, but I think we'll look back at this season and see that keeping Daz will set us back a number of years. I can't remember a season where so many coaches (especially a guy like Kiffin) became available.

side note: I recently met a guy that played at Temple for Daz for two years. The first things he said were "he's a fucking nutcase" and "he just yells and spits at guys." He also mentioned how much he hated his offensive philosophy of pounding the rock -- he was a wideout so I feel his pain -- but also said he was lucky he inherited a team with so many seniors. Of course we knew most of that info, but just made me even more frustrated about the coaching situation.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:25 pm

FOCUHCRD Chip Kelly is about to become available. I can't imagine FHCRD will be far behind.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:49 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:yes, focus on wins and losses and ignore the blowouts, shitty opponents, and infuriatingly boring offense

Boring offense is a ridiculous criticism. It doesn't work, that's the problem.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:14 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:yes, focus on wins and losses and ignore the blowouts, shitty opponents, and infuriatingly boring offense

This

You don't hear about Nick Saban's Alabama teams are boring and yet he cracks the rock more than most.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:38 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Are you suggesting that if a boring offense results in wins, then it's acceptable?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:33 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This

You don't hear about Nick Saban's Alabama teams are boring and yet he cracks the rock more than most.

Because the Great Daziani and Nick Saban's teams have soooOOooOOoo much in common regarding their talent levels, how they prepare and how they execute on Saturdays. Also, how plays are executed has nothing to do with determining if an offense is boring or not, right? Good work here Hanse, keep it up!

The point is that Saban runs a boring offense by today's standards and no one gives a fuck because all they do is win. If we were cracking the rock into the championship, you would not hear anyone bitch about running an old school, smashmouth offense. Similarly, People here bitch because we lose a lot and they need to find something to bitch about avoiding the underlying reason for the bitching.

I will not be drawn into you silly side arguments.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby GrammarLesson on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:56 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:2. "I will not be drawn into you silly side arguments." You were and nice typing skillz :pickle :spaz2

I suggest you get your own shtick.
GrammarLesson
n00b

Postby gallopingghost on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:FOCUHCRD Chip Kelly is about to become available. I can't imagine FHCRD will be far behind.

If we had an A/D he would be on the phone with him right now.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:18 pm

They pulled the trigger on Mike McCoy less than hour after the game ended.

:suicide
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:09 am

Future HCRD to be named QB coach at tOSU, rumors say.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:41 am

Feldman now saying FHCRD will be OC at OSU.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:41 am

Feldman now saying FHCRD will be OC at OSU.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:51 am

Feldman saying OC, but OSU just listing him as QB coach. If rumors are true Kevin Wilson is also coming to OSU and there will be some title sharing.

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Feldman now saying FHCRD will be OC at OSU.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:06 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Feldman saying OC, but OSU just listing him as QB coach. If rumors are true Kevin Wilson is also coming to OSU and there will be some title sharing.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/01/ed ... _ohio.html
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:27 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Feldman saying OC, but OSU just listing him as QB coach. If rumors are true Kevin Wilson is also coming to OSU and there will be some title sharing.

Good for FCHRD just means he'll be more prepared when he eventually replaces Daz.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Good for FCHRD just means he'll be more prepared when he eventually replaces Daz.

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:12 pm

i guess all his work with kap helped impress meyer. it's a smart hire by urban (for someone that's clearly starting his descent into his next job)

that said, he may need to kill a kid or two if he thinks the cornfield may be his next stop
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:48 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i guess all his work with kap helped impress meyer. it's a smart hire by urban (for someone that's clearly starting his descent into his next job)

that said, he may need to kill a kid or two if he thinks the cornfield may be his next stop

I think it is clear what he plans to be his next job. The facial hair gives it away... much to the delight of micro and Blogboy.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i guess all his work with kap helped impress meyer. it's a smart hire by urban (for someone that's clearly starting his descent into his next job)

I think it is clear what he plans to be his next job. The facial hair gives it away... much to the delight of micro and Blogboy.

He's still the best of the realistic options. If we want to pay like $4 million then sure hire BOB or Chip.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:50 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Matt Rhule to Baylor

on this, that program deserves to be nuked, burned to the ground and then salted
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:39 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Matt Rhule to Baylor

on this, that program deserves to be nuked, burned to the ground and then salted

If this was a blue-blood program, it would be the leading sports story for days, maybe even weeks. But the truth about Baylor is that they were a doormat for decades and their fans have now vanished as quickly as they appeared five years ago.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium