2016-17 Coaching Carousel Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016-17 Coaching Carousel Thread

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:38 am

Footballscoop.com saying Yukon fired Diaco
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Friends,

I want to make you aware of changes to the University’s Football Program announced today. Coach Bob Diaco is being relieved of his duties as head coach.

I am grateful to Coach Diaco for his hard work while at the University and certainly wish him future success. He and his staff worked hard to provide a quality experience for our student-athletes, encouraging them to succeed both on and off the field. Their commitment to academic success and the integrity with which they ran this program will benefit the University well into the future.

I know this comes as a surprise given the timing. However, it became apparent that a change in program direction was necessary at this time.

We will move swiftly to identify a new head coach to lead this program and student-athletes well into the future and build a competitive FBS football program with consistent and sustained success.

I want to thank you in advance for your continued support during this transition and please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Respectfully,

David
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:19 pm

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:24 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Moorhead to UConn?

https://twitter.com/espnSteveLevy/statu ... 4698508288

He's their former OC. Makes a ton of sense. Thought Third Down might be an option too. As I posted earlier, I was thinking Daz, Donnie, Moorhead and Neal Brown could all be in play. Moorhead and Brown make the most sense from a... will instantly be better than BC... perspective.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

He's their former OC. Makes a ton of sense. Thought Third Down might be an option too. As I posted earlier, I was thinking Daz, Donnie, Moorhead and Neal Brown could all be in play. Moorhead and Brown make the most sense from a... will instantly be better than BC... perspective.

Brown makes more at UM than Yukon can pay. Can't imagine Mooreheads desire to stay at PSU to wait in another gig in '17 would change to go to Yukon of all places, have to think PSU can be fairly competitive with salary for an OC in comparison to CT.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:47 pm

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/8 ... 6942103557

Pat Forde
‏@YahooForde
Y sources: @BallCoachJoeMo standing firm in commitment to Penn State for '17. Loved his time at UConn, but not a candidate to replace Diaco.

(Not that this means all that much)
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:53 pm

claver2010 wrote:
despite going 16 quarters without scoring a td and amassing an impressive 11-26 record in 3 years, uconn is sticking with diaco. can't afford his just granted $5 MM buyout

What a disaster. Did the Bradster interview him?
Last edited by DomingoOrtiz on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Salzano14 {l Wrote}:

Pat Forde
‏@YahooForde
Y sources: @BallCoachJoeMo standing firm in commitment to Penn State for '17. Loved his time at UConn, but not a candidate to replace Diaco.

Moorhead wants a P5 job. Would be crazy to bother with sUeConn at this point. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:11 pm

It's a shame yukons recruiting is so far in the shitter, literally nothing there to even consider pursuing
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:27 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:The 5 year show cause period imposed on Jim Tressel ends today. I'd sign him up. I doubt presidency at Youngstown St. pays more than what we are wasting on Addazio.

What a disaster. Did the Bradster interview him?

Jim Tressel is Steve Addazio with 5* talent
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Salzano14 {l Wrote}:

Pat Forde
‏@YahooForde

Moorhead wants a P5 job. Would be crazy to bother with sUeConn at this point. :ace

I get that folks from the Diploma Mill think the world or Moorhead and his 54th ranked offense. But, to level-set a bit...

Moorhead interviewed for the Purdue job... so his commitment to Ped State in 2017 seems contingent upon him not having any other opportunities. Further, while he may want a Power 5 gig, Yukon isn't significantly far below Purdue (who is arguably the 3rd worst P5 job ahead of only Rutgers and BC). Finally, the path to a major conference job seems to be these mid major jobs. Herman and Taggart show that. Charlie Strong being hired in the AAC shows that too. Ultimately, coordinators making more than mid-level coaches isn't a driver as much as a chance for a major P5 head coaching gig (reason why Kiffin left money from Bama and LSU to go to FAU).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:08 pm

Btw... nice timing by SueConn. Notre Dame just hired a new DC on Thursday. Would otherwise have to assume Diaco would have been a layup to return to the place he made his name.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:10 pm

FAU - hahaha, lmfao! Kiffin's path back to a power 5 job
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:FAU - hahaha, lmfao! Kiffin's path back to a power 5 job

Saved for next year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:39 am

The situation at UConn should provide marginal recruiting benefit to BC but the rekindled dumpster fire in NJ could provide opportunities for BC for jersey kids who want to be dudes and crack the rock
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:18 am

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:The situation at UConn should provide marginal recruiting benefit to BC but the rekindled dumpster fire in NJ could provide opportunities for BC for jersey kids who want to be dudes and crack the rock

You are right about NJ, especially if they have a bad year next year (they benefited in spots this season because of the bump with it being ash's first year, their class is over rated but they got some pieces that likely BC would have been in play with otherwise).

The UConn situation does nothing for BC. They are not competitive with BC or anyone in P5 and quite honestly, Diaco (who was supposed to be a good recruiter) or whoever they hire afterwards is going to struggle beating higher profile programs for players. Not saying they can't have success finding under the radar guys like Edsall once did, but they won't effect BCs situation at all.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:28 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
rktbrkr {l Wrote}:The situation at UConn should provide marginal recruiting benefit to BC but the rekindled dumpster fire in NJ could provide opportunities for BC for jersey kids who want to be dudes and crack the rock

You are right about NJ, especially if they have a bad year next year (they benefited in spots this season because of the bump with it being ash's first year, their class is over rated but they got some pieces that likely BC would have been in play with otherwise).

The UConn situation does nothing for BC. They are not competitive with BC or anyone in P5 and quite honestly, Diaco (who was supposed to be a good recruiter) or whoever they hire afterwards is going to struggle beating higher profile programs for players. Not saying they can't have success finding under the radar guys like Edsall once did, but they won't effect BCs situation at all.

A first year coach always has a nice bump for his first full class. He gets to sell vision instead of reality. Ash benefitted this year from it. UConn's next coach will as well. Further, Yukon's next coach potentially could benefit from what may be a transition year at BC. Especially if we have to live through yet another Frank and Leo prolonged search that lands a "surprise" hire (which both maximizes uncertainty and delivers shittiness).

As for Ash, I wouldn't expect Ash's second class to be as good as his first... but, I also don't expect it to be anywhere near as lowly ranked as BC's will be. Ash has been upfront with folks explaining that he was going to break eggs the first 2 years implementing his system with talent that didn't fit it so that shit would be moving forward in Year 3. Some recruits will be OK with that vision... especially if hey win even one Power5 game.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

A first year coach always has a nice bump for his first full class. He gets to sell vision instead of reality. Ash benefitted this year from it. UConn's next coach will as well. Further, Yukon's next coach potentially could benefit from what may be a transition year at BC. Especially if we have to live through yet another Frank and Leo prolonged search that lands a "surprise" hire (which both maximizes uncertainty and delivers shittiness).

As for Ash, I wouldn't expect Ash's second class to be as good as his first... but, I also don't expect it to be anywhere near as lowly ranked as BC's will be. Ash has been upfront with folks explaining that he was going to break eggs the first 2 years implementing his system with talent that didn't fit it so that shit would be moving forward in Year 3. Some recruits will be OK with that vision... especially if hey win even one Power5 game.

Barring an absolutely abysmal season next year or a huge scandal, I expect we are stuck with Daz through the next two seasons. Bottom line is very few people care about BC football in the administration unless it is an absolute embarrassment.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:02 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Barring an absolutely abysmal season next year or a huge scandal, I expect we are stuck with Daz through the next two seasons. Bottom line is very few people care about BC football in the administration unless it is an absolute embarrassment.

If there is a new AD in place, Daz may not be as safe as you suggest. I could see a new AD firing him if they don't get to 6-6.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:26 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

If there is a new AD in place, Daz may not be as safe as you suggest. I could see a new AD firing him if they don't get to 6-6.

frankly any coach that doesnt go 6-6 should be subject to job scrutiny

only 19 out of the 66 power conference teams went under .500
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:27 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Until there is a fundamental shift in the administration, the hire will be another puppet.
We are still paying for the sins of :gdf.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:08 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Until there is a fundamental shift in the administration, the hire will be another puppet.

We can't accuse Father Leahy of both not caring about athletics and controlling the athletics department by proxy.

Buttcut is more empty suit than puppet.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:11 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

We can't accuse Father Leahy of both not caring about athletics and controlling the athletics department by proxy.

Buttcut is more empty suit than puppet.

I think they do care about athletics, but they do not understand athletics. They are buying the narrative that this football season was a huge success.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:49 am

Edsall and UConn getting back together is strange. He buried them on the way out and supposedly doesn't want to recruit anymore. But no one else is ever going to offer him a $1 million+ a year to coach. All that said, I think he can reach his prior level of success. The AAC is a very winnable conference for them.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:43 am

@McMurphyESPN
Randy Edsall reaches agreement to be UConn’s coach, source told @ESPN. Also reported by TMG College Sports & Hartford Courant
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Iggle on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:58 am

lightyears ahead of BC
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:01 pm

I don't think there's much to be terribly excited about the hire (though HCRE is their version of Coughlin).

However, I have to give Yukon a ton of credit for doing the move the right way. Line up the next guy... then do a hot swap within 48-hours. All of this was over and done well ahead of Diaco having a clue that he was on the hot seat.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I don't think there's much to be terribly excited about the hire (though HCRE is their version of Coughlin).

However, I have to give Yukon a ton of credit for doing the move the right way. Line up the next guy... then do a hot swap within 48-hours. All of this was over and done well ahead of Diaco having a clue that he was on the hot seat.

Realistically, it's probably the best they can do.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:@McMurphyESPN
Randy Edsall reaches agreement to be UConn’s coach, source told @ESPN. Also reported by TMG College Sports & Hartford Courant

The Courant is also stirring the pot with CT residents by publishing an article that insinuates taxpayer dollars will pay for Diaco's buyout. I like it. I like it a lot.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:lightyears ahead of BC

Seriously?

I mean HCRE is fine, but it's not exactly an inspired hire. I went to a lot of Maryland games when he was there and they were far worse than anything BC has spun out there except last year's version.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium