The Deal with Wade?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: The Deal with Wade?

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Classes begin on the 17th per the BC academic calendar.

Wade is entering the spring term of his academic junior year. Is there a way that he could graduate following this semester from a credit perspective (i.e. is it feasible to think he could have made up essentially his senior year of credits over the summer during workouts where he will finish this semester, graduate, and then transfer without having to sit out a year and still having 2 years of eligibility left).

Yes, especially given he was an early enrollee. I am just guessing but it seems likely he could fit 4 years worth of credits into 3.5 years and 3 summers.

I forgot he enrolled early, so he could easily have enough credits to grad by now.

From a technical standpoint, I think we will know soon in the form of a roster change online. I feel like if Wade had graduated already (after Fall '16) he would have announced somewhere to go already and work thru the spring at a new school. I also doubt they will keep him around the program for the spring if he intends to transfer after Spring '17 (would he tell the staff ahead of time or leave them guessing for the spring ?) while he finishes his academic commitment.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:36 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Classes begin on the 17th per the BC academic calendar.

Wade is entering the spring term of his academic junior year. Is there a way that he could graduate following this semester from a credit perspective (i.e. is it feasible to think he could have made up essentially his senior year of credits over the summer during workouts where he will finish this semester, graduate, and then transfer without having to sit out a year and still having 2 years of eligibility left).

Yes, especially given he was an early enrollee. I am just guessing but it seems likely he could fit 4 years worth of credits into 3.5 years and 3 summers.

I forgot he enrolled early, so he could easily have enough credits to grad by now.

From a technical standpoint, I think we will know soon in the form of a roster change online. I feel like if Wade had graduated already (after Fall '16) he would have announced somewhere to go already and work thru the spring at a new school. I also doubt they will keep him around the program for the spring if he intends to transfer after Spring '17 (would he tell the staff ahead of time or leave them guessing for the spring ?) while he finishes his academic commitment.

Someone on the staff told the Bowl Game announcers that Brown will be the starter next season. They would not have made it public if they did not know Wade was leaving.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Towles put this on instagram ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPLqtQ9g3hF/
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Towles put this on instagram ...

can someone instazalt cal williams post for me?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 am

Seems that Wade leaving has been an opening secret for some time... apparently even among the players. The question I have is this... who is AB's back-up? You see, I've seen this film before where we ordained a highly thought of player 1.5 years removed from high school. It ended with an injury, 3-wins and a transfer.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:54 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Seems that Wade leaving has been an opening secret for some time... apparently even among the players. The question I have is this... who is AB's back-up? You see, I've seen this film before where we ordained a highly thought of player 1.5 years removed from high school. It ended with an injury, 3-wins and a transfer.

With all the depth at WR, Flutie can mov- [ducks]
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I wonder if that experience will cause Daz to look for a fifth year to join a rigged competition for Brown (maybe someone like Hayden Rettig who presumably won't be guaranteed to start anywhere). I know he said he regrets not getting a transfer for the 2015 season.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Open secret to everyone except Daz. That's why he hasn't recruited another QB.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:55 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Need a 5th year if Wade is out.

You can sell it to someone. No guarantees, but you're competing with a redshirt freshman for the starting job. You'll have an experienced OL, a cupcake schedule, and a defense that'll generate field position and cover your ass.Oh, and so far both of our 5th year QB transfers have started.

There's gotta be some fifth year out there looking for a miracle setup to make a run at the pros who will buy that sales pitch.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:04 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

You can sell it to someone. No guarantees, but you're competing with a redshirt freshman for the starting job. You'll have an experienced OL, a cupcake schedule, and a defense that'll generate field position and cover your ass.Oh, and so far both of our 5th year QB transfers have started.

There's gotta be some fifth year out there looking for a miracle setup to make a run at the pros who will buy that sales pitch.

Spaz has worked hard to build a reputation for promising starting jobs to 5th years and honoring that promise. He's not about to flush that down the toilet.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I have the same concern here. The correct answer is not CJ Lewis or the kid from Andover.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:11 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Spaz has worked hard to build a reputation for promising starting jobs to 5th years and honoring that promise. He's not about to flush that down the toilet.

Whether promises were made or not in the past is irrelevant. Who's going to fact check that?

To add to the sales pitch:
1) Competing against redshirt freshman.
2) Coach values experience at QB (with a wink and a nod to Murphy and Towles).
3) Generally cupcake schedule should guarantee a bowl appearance and exposure.
4) Opportunity to start (in primetime?) against the National Champions and the Orange Bowl Champions.
5) Opportunity to start in a game in Fenway Park.
6) Ricotta sandwiches.

Honestly, I'd be upset if we don't bring someone in who's at least marginally capable. There is absolutely no way that the backup should be Fadule or Flutie.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:19 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

They can talk about it over a big plate of macaroni at some place in the North End. Cazzzzzooooooooooooooo

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:21 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I have the same concern here. The correct answer is not CJ Lewis or the kid from Andover.

I have no interest in another 5th year transfer. None. No more 5th year transfer QBs... ever. It is the most important position on a football team. If you can't recruit or develop a starter (or depth) at that position, you shouldn't be a head coach. Enough with the 5th year transfers. It is like TRE spraying Glade after taking a hairy dump in the hall bathroom during a house party... it really doesn't cover up shit.

Another 5th year will be too great of a temptation for Dazoo to use. It will undoubtredly retard AB's growth and prompt further uncertainty. It is year freaking 5. If we don't have sufficient QB depth now, then we won't ever. That said, I happen to be someone who wouldn't be terribly broken up if the lack of QB talent proves a repeat of 2015. Because, then, I can say "I told you so" when we STILL don't fire Daz.

That said, Tate Haynes, CJ Lewis and Drew McQuarrie are a significantly better frosh QB class than Flutie, Smith and Fadule. So, if the answer is that we are going to roll with the frosh as emergency backups, I'd expect a better result than 2015.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:25 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Whether promises were made or not in the past is irrelevant. Who's going to fact check that?

We're not talking about a large sample size. Anyone with an internet connection could fact check it in 10 minutes.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I have no interest in another 5th year transfer. None. No more 5th year transfer QBs... ever. It is the most important position on a football team. If you can't recruit or develop a starter (or depth) at that position, you shouldn't be a head coach. Enough with the 5th year transfers. It is like TRE spraying Glade after taking a hairy dump in the hall bathroom during a house party... it really doesn't cover up shit.

Another 5th year will be too great of a temptation for Dazoo to use. It will undoubtredly retard AB's growth and prompt further uncertainty. It is year freaking 5. If we don't have sufficient QB depth now, then we won't ever. That said, I happen to be someone who wouldn't be terribly broken up if the lack of QB talent proves a repeat of 2015. Because, then, I can say "I told you so" when we STILL don't fire Daz.

That said, Tate Haynes, CJ Lewis and Drew McQuarrie are a significantly better frosh QB class than Flutie, Smith and Fadule. So, if the answer is that we are going to roll with the frosh as emergency backups, I'd expect a better result than 2015.

There was an article posted in scout suggesting BC may not be done recruiting the QB position this year.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I have no interest in another 5th year transfer. None. No more 5th year transfer QBs... ever. It is the most important position on a football team. If you can't recruit or develop a starter (or depth) at that position, you shouldn't be a head coach.

BC doesn't have a head coach. It has.... Daz.

I'm not saying you are wrong HJS. I'm just saying that you are expecting appropriate, competent, head coaching behavior, from a man who exemplifies the Peter Principle.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 am

Didn't think Fadule was that terrible considering he was a true freshman playing behind a matador OL that year.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Didn't think Fadule was that terrible considering he was a true freshman playing behind a matador OL that year.

yeah, but you've also said that you didn't think blowjobs were that terrible, except for the taste so... you're opinion isn't always appreciated
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I think everyone's priority would be keeping Wade, a redshirt junior with two years of eligibility left, who has shown upside and could still develop into something special. That would be great for the program and give Brown more time to develop. If Brown is actually good enough to beat out Wade now, that speaks to the strength of QB recruiting and development and is fantastic. But still, would love to have Wade as the backup.

I think it's a little short-sighted of Wade to transfer because he may be #2 on the QB chart at a P5 school to pursue a #1 spot at a G5 school. Two years of eligibility is a long time. Brown could bomb. Brown could get hurt. Lots of things can happen that can get Wade right back into the starting job at a P5 school. At the very least, he should stay for this year and still have his 5th year to transfer.

Unless, of course, Wade doesn't think BC is preparing him well, which would be an indictment of the recruiting and development at the program.

I also will agree that Tate Haynes and CJ Lewis look more promising than Smith, Fadule, Flutie...but I still don't want to risk '17 by starting a redshirt freshman with two true freshman backing him up.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I think it's a little short-sighted of Wade to transfer because he may be #2 on the QB chart at a P5 school to pursue a #1 spot at a G5 school. Two years of eligibility is a long time. Brown could bomb. Brown could get hurt. Lots of things can happen that can get Wade right back into the starting job at a P5 school. At the very least, he should stay for this year and still have his 5th year to transfer.

If he is able to get his diploma from BC, why the heck wouldn't he transfer to be #1 for two years at a mid-major instead of being #2 at a terrible P5 school???
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:35 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I think it's a little short-sighted of Wade to transfer because he may be #2 on the QB chart at a P5 school to pursue a #1 spot at a G5 school. Two years of eligibility is a long time. Brown could bomb. Brown could get hurt. Lots of things can happen that can get Wade right back into the starting job at a P5 school. At the very least, he should stay for this year and still have his 5th year to transfer.

If he is able to get his diploma from BC, why the heck wouldn't he transfer to be #1 for two years at a mid-major instead of being #2 at a terrible P5 school???

The better question is.... who would take him?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:38 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Wally's rose colored classes are a darker shade than DGF's, its impressive, in a really delusional kind of a way

How am I delusional?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:39 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

That's not a better question.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:53 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Its the correct question.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:57 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

No it isn't. Because, so long as the answer is "someone" (which isn't really in doubt) it is the move he likely should make.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

This may your best post ever.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:41 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

It's a meaningless question.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

No it isn't. Because, so long as the answer is "someone" (which isn't really in doubt) it is the move he likely should make.

Someone who guarantees him the #1 spot? There's no guarantee he doesn't become #2 at Northern Illinois.

Instead he should stay for a year, try to win or win back the starting job at a P5. If that doesn't work out, transfer. Risk 1 year to start at a P5 against top teams.
Last edited by dtwalrus on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:44 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Someone who guarantees him the #1 spot? There's no guarantee he doesn't become #2 at Northern Illinois. Stay for a year, try to win or win back the starting job at a P5. If that doesn't work out, transfer.

Risk 1 year to start at a P5 against top teams.

First... he has been at BC for 3 years. He knows the chances of winning the job next year better than anyone. He may feel that he doesn't think he has much of a chance to start (either because AB is the second coming of Jameis Winston/Deshaun Watson or because he doesn't think the staff will give him a fair opportunity), Accordingly, he is sacrificing an opportunity to play 2 years in order to be an insurance policy so Daz doesn't have to go the Shinskie route yet again.

Second... a school like ODU (coming off a 10-win season and just graduated their QB and has nothing of note on the roster) is a perfect example of a school who would pull a Daz and guarantee a starting position. Personally, I think Wade would be excellent playing under Bobby Wilder.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium