Bates not going to SDSU (and murder)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Bates not going to SDSU (and murder)

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:50 am

Apparently Blauds says this has legs.

I talked with someone who is a big booster from my time working out there and he confirmed it's in the works as well.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: Bates to SDSU

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:06 am

Blauds is also saying that Sarge's future at BC hinges on the outcone of the SU game.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:21 pm

This would be great. Hopefully BC has someone lined up to quickly come in and finish the fundraising for the IPF/baseball facility quickly (I listened to Bates interview on the WZBC podcast and he mentions that the BB facility will have a 2 phase fundraising structure, first to get the base infrastructure built, then another to have locker rooms, weight room, and I assume coaches offices/other player stuff built, don't think he mentioned anything in re: to IPF but I stopped paying attention after he started droning on about academics).

As to the Addazio thing, why is it dependent on Syracuse ? What is that game going to prove that hasn't been clearly evident this year. I'm very against mid season firing (unless you bring in someone to right the ship immediately i.e. Coughlin), but don't see how all of a sudden the Cuse game is make or break for him.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:33 pm

I'm all for a mid-season firing if it brings in a big name to get people fired up and help get a jump on the next round of recruiting. Glad Bates is going -- or at least his contract won;t be renewed - clearly he's fumbled football and basketball hirings, and who knows what else for the sports only the HockeyInterruption guys pay attention to.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:34 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:This would be great. Hopefully BC has someone lined up to quickly come in and finish the fundraising for the IPF/baseball facility quickly (I listened to Bates interview on the WZBC podcast and he mentions that the BB facility will have a 2 phase fundraising structure, first to get the base infrastructure built, then another to have locker rooms, weight room, and I assume coaches offices/other player stuff built, don't think he mentioned anything in re: to IPF but I stopped paying attention after he started droning on about academics).

As to the Addazio thing, why is it dependent on Syracuse ? What is that game going to prove that hasn't been clearly evident this year. I'm very against mid season firing (unless you bring in someone to right the ship immediately i.e. Coughlin), but don't see how all of a sudden the Cuse game is make or break for him.

do you have a link for the podcast?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:46 pm

It's in iTunes/podcast app which you can subscribe to, but believe it's also available here ...

http://www.wzbcsports.com/new-podcasts/
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:52 pm

if any of this is actually true my opinion on daz/bates changes. it means theres a 75+% chance bates has been told he will not be renewed. (probably will take a bowl appearance)

if thats the case addazio is gone if he doesn't make a bowl. given the way our opponents have been playing I'm not sure how he wins another game

if bates actually leaves, daz is gone with 90+% certainty
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:01 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:if any of this is actually true my opinion on daz/bates changes. it means theres a 75+% chance bates has been told he will not be renewed. (probably will take a bowl appearance)

if thats the case addazio is gone if he doesn't make a bowl. given the way our opponents have been playing I'm not sure how he wins another game

Over what time period tho ? If Bates leaves after this academic year, even if a new AD is hired immediately, I doubt they move on Addazio in a manner that would have an adequate replacement by 2017 season (let's also not get too worked up about Cuse, they hit VT with 2 trick plays and won a home game, their defense still stinks, next week is far from unwinnable which means Addazio has a chance to live another day)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:08 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:if any of this is actually true my opinion on daz/bates changes. it means theres a 75+% chance bates has been told he will not be renewed. (probably will take a bowl appearance)

Over what time period tho ? If Bates leaves after this academic year, even if a new AD is hired immediately, I doubt they move on Addazio in a manner that would have an adequate replacement by 2017 season (let's also not get too worked up about Cuse, they hit VT with 2 trick plays and won a home game, their defense still stinks, next week is far from unwinnable which means Addazio has a chance to live another day)

if they intend to fire bates, they will let him go at the end of the football season to let the new AD hire the new football coach. I don't see a scenario where one stays and the other doesn't
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:34 pm

No need to fire Bates if he is getting the job at SDSU
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:35 pm

At first I hated all the idiots who kept saying Coughlin for HC, but the more I think of it, if timing becomes an issue with all of this, I would be all for bringing in Coughlin in an interim role to fill any timing issues (he has recently said he would coach again and with his age, an interim role would make sense). Keep majority of the staff in place to stabilize recruiting and gives the admin some time to find a new AD and run a HC search process, if you have some success and can push the LT HC issue (and see what happens with certain NFL guys for instance) that becomes another benefit.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Bates has been getting mentioned for AD openings for a while (MO, MI, SDSU). Sure looks like he was told he wasn't getting renewed and he's shopping himself. If that's the case you'd like to think BC has a short list of candidates they've already reached out to. But this is BC we're talking about.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:40 pm

I'd be shocked if SDSU hired him. I can't see why anybody would hire Bates. We'll have to fire him.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:55 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I'd be shocked if SDSU hired him. I can't see why anybody would hire Bates. We'll have to fire him.

You don't have to fire someone who no longer has a contact. Think Office Space.

For Bates, it's an obvious monster step back. But, location and it being a decent MAC-level program makes sense for him. For SDST, you can also see the attraction. Regardless of what we think, his resume remains impressive. Pretty easy for him to spin it as being impossible to win at because of an institutional lack of support. Also, SDST got a little taste of the political nature of conference realignment and may feel that an experienced AD would help in such a world. Finally, let's be fair... our hatred for Buttcut really centers on his utter inability to hire a competent head coach in any sport (despite having many available to him). From SDST's perspective, they could believe that the coaches hired by Bates would be great for their level (and they'd be largely right). Much like how a failing in the NFL isn't a negative for a guy looking to coach in college, same for someone who struggled at the worst athletic program trying to compete on the cheap in the Power 5.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I'd be shocked if SDSU hired him. I can't see why anybody would hire Bates. We'll have to fire him.

You don't have to fire someone who no longer has a contact. Think Office Space.

For Bates, it's an obvious monster step back. But, location and it being a decent MAC-level program makes sense for him. For SDST, you can also see the attraction. Regardless of what we think, his resume remains impressive. Pretty easy for him to spin it as being impossible to win at because of an institutional lack of support. Also, SDST got a little taste of the political nature of conference realignment and may feel that an experienced AD would help in such a world. Finally, let's be fair... our hatred for Buttcut really centers on his utter inability to hire a competent head coach in any sport (despite having many available to him). From SDST's perspective, they could believe that the coaches hired by Bates would be great for their level (and they'd be largely right). Much like how a failing in the NFL isn't a negative for a guy looking to coach in college, same for someone who struggled at the worst athletic program trying to compete on the cheap in the Power 5.

If we want him gone at the end of the season and give another AD a chance to hire the next coach, he'd have to be fired. Unless his contract is up earlier than I expect.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Enjoy the weather and :74
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:56 pm

It's just Brad and his wife, no kids. SDSU is a nice gig, great place to live. If you read Brad's first interview he wanted to build a lot of facilities, but Leahy wanted no part of it. Picking coaches is never a sure thing and it's fair to say BC's struggles go far beyond any AD or HC. At this point Leahy is just cycling through AD's and HC's. The real problem is a President that does not know how to set up a proper organizational structure to manage the athletic department. Gladchuk at Navy is a prime example of someone who has benefited from a strong organizational structure. You can't leave big decisions to any AD alone to make. None of them have the training or experience to go it alone.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:00 pm

He's in play, I have no clue whether he'll get the job or not
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:02 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:It's just Brad and his wife, no kids. SDSU is a nice gig, great place to live. If you read Brad's first interview he wanted to build a lot of facilities, but Leahy wanted no part of it. Picking coaches is never a sure thing and it's fair to say BC's struggles go far beyond any AD or HC. At this point Leahy is just cycling through AD's and HC's. The real problem is a President that does not know how to set up a proper organizational structure to manage the athletic department. Gladchuk at Navy is a prime example of someone who has benefited from a strong organizational structure. You can't leave big decisions to any AD alone to make. None of them have the training or experience to go it alone.

Do I think BC Athletics would be better without Leahy? Sure

Do I think they can win with Leahy? Absolutely I've seen it
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:11 pm

That was a long time ago, lots of changes since then with our competition getting much better with much better facilities
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:36 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:That was a long time ago, lots of changes since then with our competition getting much better with much better facilities

Horseshit.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:56 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:This would be great. Hopefully BC has someone lined up to quickly come in and finish the fundraising for the IPF/baseball facility quickly (I listened to Bates interview on the WZBC podcast and he mentions that the BB facility will have a 2 phase fundraising structure, first to get the base infrastructure built, then another to have locker rooms, weight room, and I assume coaches offices/other player stuff built, don't think he mentioned anything in re: to IPF but I stopped paying attention after he started droning on about academics).

First phase: get rid of buttcut Bates.... Second phase: hire an AD who actually does his job.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:04 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:That was a long time ago, lots of changes since then with our competition getting much better with much better facilities

They won 7 games in Year 1 and 2 of Daz...that was like 3-4 years ago.

The facilities wouldn't hurt, but let's not pretend it's some magic cure to sucking on the field
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:12 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:It's in iTunes/podcast app which you can subscribe to, but believe it's also available here ...

thanks for this link, listened this am

for those who have yet to listen, not worth the time. bates hits on all the same talking points he has since day 1: student development / developing students / developing leaders. top 30-whatever school, only x in p5, only Jesuit education, located in city of boston, etc. etc. etc.

I get the kid didn't want to grill buttcut but given bates has been invisible the last 6 months and we haven't won an acc game in a revenue sport in 19 months, would've been nice to hear discussion beyond the bates platitudes.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:02 am

has there been any discussion of this anywhere other than the gumshoe? as the agnostic mentioned above, i have a hard time believing that anyone would take a chance on buttcut based on all his performance measurables here (donation generating, athletic performance, program advertisement/familiarity, etc.).

i think it's great if it's true because this athletic department stinks from head to toe. i only wish we'd started at the head instead of the overly pronounced adams apple but, it's better than starting at the cock (slaughter) and balls (jimmy mac)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:05 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:has there been any discussion of this anywhere other than the gumshoe? as the agnostic mentioned above, i have a hard time believing that anyone would take a chance on buttcut based on all his performance measurables here (donation generating, athletic performance, program advertisement/familiarity, etc.).

i think it's great if it's true because this athletic department stinks from head to toe. i only wish we'd started at the head instead of the overly pronounced adams apple but, it's better than starting at the cock (slaughter) and balls (jimmy mac)

I talked to someone very connected with SDSU that I worked with previously and Bates is in play for that job.

Whether he gets it or not I have no idea.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:06 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:It's in iTunes/podcast app which you can subscribe to, but believe it's also available here ...

for those who have yet to listen, not worth the time. bates hits on all the same talking points he has since day 1: student development / developing students / developing leaders. top 30-whatever school, only x in p5, only Jesuit education, located in city of boston, etc. etc. etc.

I get the kid didn't want to grill buttcut but given bates has been invisible the last 6 months and we haven't won an acc game in a revenue sport in 19 months, would've been nice to hear discussion beyond the bates platitudes.

You're being generous with 6 months
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:24 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

You're being generous with 6 months

I can't believe they didn't ask a single question on the state of the FB program. Not one. Also, how can you not ask about the Globe article... or at least 0-fer-ACC in BB and FB? The focus was (a) on the success of the non-revenue sports and (b) how winning isn't everything for the revenue sports.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:34 am

Your agenda has given you tunnel vision.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:has there been any discussion of this anywhere other than the gumshoe? as the agnostic mentioned above, i have a hard time believing that anyone would take a chance on buttcut based on all his performance measurables here (donation generating, athletic performance, program advertisement/familiarity, etc.).

Who would waste their time? BC is irrelevant to local media and this attitude is close to mirroring how the public at large feels.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium