The Official "Who Cares?" Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: The Official "Who Cares?" Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Have never played Diamante Dunes. A couple of guys from my club have and said it is a good, but not great track, but the scenery is spectacular. They played it early in the morning because as Teddy notes it is hotter than balls by 9 am.

Having been there twice, Cabo is completely safe. Rumor is that the various cartels all have ownership stakes in the place and use it to launder money. As such, they make sure nothing bad happens to the tourists. Other than that, unless you are going sport fishing or diving I see little reason to go to Cabo.

The same tourist-turf-safety argument was supposedly true of Puerto Vallarta, until gun-toting drug runners recently saw Sinaloa vulnerable and decided to storm a restaurant and kidnap El-Chapo's kid. It is likely an artifact of pure luck that the whole place was not shot up ala Tony Montana.

I think I am going to tell him hasta la vista, hit 'em straight and duck if he hears popping. If it was still legal, I'd grab a STOLI on him.

Cabo is in the middle of nowhere. Literally nothing around (by land) but American tourists and celebrities for 1000 miles. Worst thing down there is sunburn and heat stroke.

and the previously mentioned sammy hagar
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:20 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Have never played Diamante Dunes. A couple of guys from my club have and said it is a good, but not great track, but the scenery is spectacular. They played it early in the morning because as Teddy notes it is hotter than balls by 9 am.

Having been there twice, Cabo is completely safe. Rumor is that the various cartels all have ownership stakes in the place and use it to launder money. As such, they make sure nothing bad happens to the tourists. Other than that, unless you are going sport fishing or diving I see little reason to go to Cabo.

The same tourist-turf-safety argument was supposedly true of Puerto Vallarta, until gun-toting drug runners recently saw Sinaloa vulnerable and decided to storm a restaurant and kidnap El-Chapo's kid. It is likely an artifact of pure luck that the whole place was not shot up ala Tony Montana.

I think I am going to tell him hasta la vista, hit 'em straight and duck if he hears popping. If it was still legal, I'd grab a STOLI on him.

Cabo is in the middle of nowhere. Literally nothing around (by land) but American tourists and celebrities for 1000 miles. Worst thing down there is sunburn and heat stroke.

and the previously mentioned sammy hagar

He ain't David Lee Roth, but any rock is good rock these days.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bumpers on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:05 pm

Bumpers {l Wrote}:I don't get the reference, but OK, OK, I was just trying to be funny about that last bit, you got me, but the rest of everything I said from my source is spot on. Just wait.

When the season ends on December 27 after our Toilet Bowl appearance and Daz and BB both still have their Conte credentials, you have to come back here and apologize so I can say I told you so.

And now you see how impeccably accurate my source is with his information.

"28" needs to seek absolution for his misinformation, raising the hopes of people who still care. YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED AS A CHARLATAN AND FRAUD!!

Apology not ACCepted!
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bumpers on Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Wait, is it November already? NO! Who cares season has started early, friends!

Well, how did you all do last weekend? I haven't had a minute to grab my breath between picking those delicious end-of-season Michigan blueberries and planning out my October orchard strategy. How are Coach Catsup and the gang doing?

But don't get me started on the weather! It was 95 here in Chi-town all weekend! Whew! Is it getting that hot in Chestnut Hill for anyone? I heard it will not get hot there until 2019, at the soonest. Enjoy your cool, comfortable climate, Coach Catsup!

Please recommend a good variety and tell me when the peak picking time is at! Its going to be a busy start to October this weekend!

:elephant
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:19 pm

I am going to Kohler next week. I am going to play Whistling Straits the first day, back to back River and Meadow on day 2, and finish with the Irish Course on day 3, as I imagine I will be a trembling, alcohol infused wreck by day 3 and the Irish Course is the only one on which I can post a decent score while experiencing the DTs. Going to hit Stefanos two nights for dinner and drink a dozen Moon Man No Coast IPAs at the Horse & Plow with a couple of brats and beer cheese soup before my colon explodes the other night.

As fate would have it, I have to return to Wisconsin on the 14th and have talked myself onto Milwaukee CC (going to a birthday party there that night), so I will fortunately and hopefully miss seeing any of the Va Tech and Louisville games.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I am going to Kohler next week. I am going to play Whistling Straits the first day, back to back River and Meadow on day 2, and finish with the Irish Course on day 3, as I imagine I will be a trembling, alcohol infused wreck by day 3 and the Irish Course is the only one on which I can post a decent score while experiencing the DTs. Going to hit Stefanos two nights for dinner and drink a dozen Moon Man No Coast IPAs at the Horse & Plow with a couple of brats and beer cheese soup before my colon explodes the other night.

As fate would have it, I have to return to Wisconsin on the 14th and have talked myself onto Milwaukee CC (going to a birthday party there that night), so I will fortunately and hopefully miss seeing any of the Va Tech and Louisville games.

Play Blue Mound when you're in Milwaukee. Make the time to get to lawsonia links in green lake next time you plan a trip to Wisconsin
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I am going to Kohler next week. I am going to play Whistling Straits the first day, back to back River and Meadow on day 2, and finish with the Irish Course on day 3, as I imagine I will be a trembling, alcohol infused wreck by day 3 and the Irish Course is the only one on which I can post a decent score while experiencing the DTs. Going to hit Stefanos two nights for dinner and drink a dozen Moon Man No Coast IPAs at the Horse & Plow with a couple of brats and beer cheese soup before my colon explodes the other night.

You’re a better golfer than I am, but as a 15 handicap I have as much interest in playing Whistling Straits as I do in watching BC play football. That place looks impossible if you’re not a terrific golfer.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 pm

I am playing to a 2 right now and will fully admit it is brutal from the championship tees. Not quite as brutal as Bethpage Black, which is so hard it is actually unpleasant, but I always play it first when I am fresh and can keep my mind on every shot. The course punishes the wandering mind or tired swing. With that said, they have multiple tee options. The guy I play the Straits with every year is a 14 and he plays from the men's regular tees and it is actually fun for him as that tee box takes some of the brutal, blind, narrow, sideways lie shots off the table. Of course, this time of year, the greens will be soft, so that also makes it a bit easier.

I actually played Blue Mound this summer. Erin Hills was gashed up pretty good after the Open. Ended up playing Blue Mound with the husband of one of my wife's high school friends and then hit Barlotta's for dinner. I like Wauwatosa and now that the immediate areas around it are gentrifying as well I don't feel like as forlorn when I cut through the ghetto coming from Ozaukee down 43 and across by Marquette. Have not heard of Lawsonia but I have a dip shit nephew in law who goes to Ripon, so maybe I can swing it by telling Wifey it will be good for the kid to get out on the links.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 am

have you gotten to sand valley?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 am

No, but I have heard great things about it. I didn't make an attempt this past summer because I was told that while the golf was amazing, there wasn't much else there. It is my understanding that the second course will open in the spring and the resort will be up and running with all the amenities, so I will consider it for this summer. The only drawback is unlike Koehler, it is a pain in the ass to get to, but I suppose it is worth it to check off the list. It is hilarious to me that Wisconsin has so many world class golf courses, given the abbreviated season.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:55 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:No, but I have heard great things about it. I didn't make an attempt this past summer because I was told that while the golf was amazing, there wasn't much else there. It is my understanding that the second course will open in the spring and the resort will be up and running with all the amenities, so I will consider it for this summer. The only drawback is unlike Koehler, it is a pain in the ass to get to, but I suppose it is worth it to check off the list. It is hilarious to me that Wisconsin has so many world class golf courses, given the abbreviated season.

Sand valley is wonderful. Second course has only 6 holes open right now.

Lawsonia is perhaps the most underrated golf course in the country. It wasn't ranked until a few years ago and is now in the 60's of the top classic courses list. Maybe the most inventive and fun course I've ever played. There are also a few great bars to get after it in Green Lake.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Bumpers on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 am

Now this is a very worthwhile fall activities thread to have while other things languish.

Never played Blue Mound or Lawsonia. Will try soon. I'm heading up to play Horseshoe Bay CC in Door County next weekend with a buddy while the wives run up the Amex charges in Egg Harbor. Anybody ever play that track before? No particular ratings about it to speak of, but looks like best in the area.

Another track I highly recommend is The Dunes in harbor country, SW Michigan. It is a 9 hole track, but it is basically the private club for Mike Keiser when he is at his compound there. It is a stunning track carved into the forested dunes along Lake Michigan, and a great challenge. They have a couple of undocument-eds that run around the course through the day and change the pin positions, and the theory is that each hole has multiple tee boxes at different orientations, so the second time you play the 9, it is pretty much like a different 9 than the first time you played it. I didn't totally get that, since I tend to hit the fairway so after the tee shot, the hole is the same as before but with a different pin location, but the overall conditioning and quality of the course was extraordinary. Get on that track if you ever can.

In December, I'm heading out to Monterey for 5 days to play Pebble, Cypress and Spanish Bay. It is a charity tournament and if my partner and I win, it is $100k for our charity. My partner is a 22. No pressure.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bumpers on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:55 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:No, but I have heard great things about it. I didn't make an attempt this past summer because I was told that while the golf was amazing, there wasn't much else there. It is my understanding that the second course will open in the spring and the resort will be up and running with all the amenities, so I will consider it for this summer. The only drawback is unlike Koehler, it is a pain in the ass to get to, but I suppose it is worth it to check off the list. It is hilarious to me that Wisconsin has so many world class golf courses, given the abbreviated season.

Sand Valley is way in the middle of nowhere. It is a 4.5 hour ride from Chicago, minimum. My in-law's sister had a place up there and years ago I played one of the nearby Lake Arrowhead tracks. Meh, but not bad for no where. They have since sold it. Bad timing now that Sand Valley is there. I will make it up there some day since my buddy who is a member at Black Sheep is jonesing to go, but I can't justify the drive time to the middle of nowhere. Its the equivalent to going to school at ND. Sure, its good and all, and I could have if I wanted to, but why would I want to?
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:06 pm

what charity event is at cypress?

*not trying to fedex you, just want to get on there
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Bumpers {l Wrote}:Now this is a very worthwhile fall activities thread to have while other things languish.

Never played Blue Mound or Lawsonia. Will try soon. I'm heading up to play Horseshoe Bay CC in Door County next weekend with a buddy while the wives run up the Amex charges in Egg Harbor. Anybody ever play that track before? No particular ratings about it to speak of, but looks like best in the area.

Another track I highly recommend is The Dunes in harbor country, SW Michigan. It is a 9 hole track, but it is basically the private club for Mike Keiser when he is at his compound there. It is a stunning track carved into the forested dunes along Lake Michigan, and a great challenge. They have a couple of undocument-eds that run around the course through the day and change the pin positions, and the theory is that each hole has multiple tee boxes at different orientations, so the second time you play the 9, it is pretty much like a different 9 than the first time you played it. I didn't totally get that, since I tend to hit the fairway so after the tee shot, the hole is the same as before but with a different pin location, but the overall conditioning and quality of the course was extraordinary. Get on that track if you ever can.

In December, I'm heading out to Monterey for 5 days to play Pebble, Cypress and Spanish Bay. It is a charity tournament and if my partner and I win, it is $100k for our charity. My partner is a 22. No pressure.

I have played Horseshoe Bay. My father-in-Law has a house on Whitefish Bay between the State Park and Glidden Lodge. It's a good course--really the only good course in Door County--Alpine has got some beautiful vistas, but it is basically 4 nine hole course cobbled together and it is short and easy. The only problem with Horseshoe is that there are no views, it is basically run through an old apple orchard. My thinking is if you are going to build a good resort course in a place like Door County, you ought to take advantage of the water.

I like all three of the Monterrey courses, the only problem is the bucketlist brigade playing Pebble who don't give a damn about pace of play. Pebble tries to police it, but most of these people are there for a once in a lifetime $800 round of golf--they don't give a shit if they get several warnings because they ain't coming back.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Bumpers on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:09 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:what charity event is at cypress?

*not trying to fedex you, just want to get on there

It is the Lexus Champions for Charity event. I am not ashamed to say I am over the top excited to play these courses in a tournament setting. Should be fun.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bumpers on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
I like all three of the Monterrey courses, the only problem is the bucketlist brigade playing Pebble who don't give a damn about pace of play. Pebble tries to police it, but most of these people are there for a once in a lifetime $800 round of golf--they don't give a shit if they get several warnings because they ain't coming back.

My understanding is they close the course for the tournament, so only the other tournament invitees play. I hope this means pace of play will be a non issue.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:11 am

Bumpers {l Wrote}:Now this is a very worthwhile fall activities thread to have while other things languish.

I have played Horseshoe Bay. My father-in-Law has a house on Whitefish Bay between the State Park and Glidden Lodge. It's a good course--really the only good course in Door County--Alpine has got some beautiful vistas, but it is basically 4 nine hole course cobbled together and it is short and easy. The only problem with Horseshoe is that there are no views, it is basically run through an old apple orchard. My thinking is if you are going to build a good resort course in a place like Door County, you ought to take advantage of the water.

Played horseshoe many times. My good friend was the inaugural club champion. Mike Mccarthy is a member and the club is owned by a group of families, most of whom are members of the Packers' board of directors. It's the best track in door county and has a few excellent holes and some clunkers. Always in excellent shape and you can score well because it's not very hard. Standout holes are #2, 8, 13 (though some people hate it) and 18.

Make sure to have a beer in a frozen mug in the bar afterwards or on the patio outside the bar for views of the water. If you're going out to dinner go to Berenghers in Fish creek. New restaurant with a great scene
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:33 pm

And so my three-day extravaganza at Koehler comes to an end. A very strange weather week. Played The Straits on Tuesday and it was actually hot--like 83 degrees. It was good in that the ball traveled well and in spite of the mini-heatwave (it had been 80 on Monday as well), the greens were their typical autumn soft. Shot a 76 from the black tees and felt good about it. Although I sweated out a couple of bottles Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (2008) from dinner at Stefano's the night before. Double dipped at Blackwolf Run on Wednesday which was supposed to be a cool day but stayed in the mid-70s. Played the River in the morning with a major league hangover after consuming multiple bottles of the aforementioned Amarone at Stefano's for a second day and then hitting the Horse and Plow for a few Moon Man IPAs and to watch the conclusion on the Yankees pile driving the Twins for the right to be eviscerated by the Tribe. Shot a shaky 79, avoidng a mid-80s score by going birdy-birdy-birdy-par to finish. Felt good in the afternoon and beat up the Meadow Course in the afternoon for a -2 70. It is funny that after playing the Straits and River, a 7200 yard course seems short. Got ridiculously drunk at the Horse & Plow on Wednesday and consumed two or perhaps three bowls of the beer cheese soup. Played a cold and windy Irish Course this morning suffering from DTs that would have made John Daly proud. I also left a beer-cheese soup and brats dump at the drink house after the fifth hole that would have made Tonto proud. Staggered home for a respectable under the circumstances 78 before leaving for Billy Mitchell International.

Also, Billy Mitchell, or as I now call it "The Mitch", has got to be in the top 3 of my favorite airports as I loaded up on a milk shake from Northpoint and some Pizzeria Piccola. Spent the entire flight back to DCA spewing out silent, but deadly methane concoctions, and laughing maniacally to myself. I highly recommend the Koehler Grand Slam--every bit as nice as the Monterrey Triple and will cost you about half of what you'd pay for Pebble, Cyprus and Spanish.
Last edited by Dick Rosenthal on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 am

The Irish course is criminally underrated in my opinion. Such a great track
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:The Irish course is criminally underrated in my opinion. Such a great track

Agreed. It is definitely the most fun of the four tracks, but is still challenging and as I've said before, some of the things Dye did with the course are whimsical.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Bumpers on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:27 am

Weather didn't cooperate, so I missed Horseshoe Bay on Saturday. Snuck out at crack of dawn Sunday before we headed out and played the Orchards course outside Egg Harbor; decent layout and well conditioned for the amount of rain from Saturday.

On the way back, stopped with the wife and kids at Lambeau for the tour. Pretty freakin awesome, even for me being a diehard Bears fan. I highly recommend a tour of their new digs in and around the stadium - it is impressive with a new tailgate pavilion, a new Kohler hotel and a full football field / playground for kids. Aaron Rodgers and all that revenue sharing has created quite a pearl in the quasi-urban armpit that is Green Bay.

Heading south after that, stayed overnight at the American Club for some Horse & Plow grub. That cheese soup is a heart stopper, but I love it every time. After that, honestly, I am done with H&P. The service and food are just meh. I'll have to try Stefano's next time I'm up there.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:24 pm

I’m playing golf tomorrow instead of watching Lamar Jackson run up about 50 on BC. We’ll see if my driver cooperates been hitting it all over the place with that stupid club
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:08 am

Always up for golf in Chicago if people are in town with their sticks.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Was in Wisconsin again this past weekend. Got out at Milwaukee C.C. on Saturday. It was rainy and surprisingly warm—temperature flirted with 70 all day. Greens were very soft. It is a beautiful classic-style course. Tom Doak, who is doing our brand remodel at WGCC did a few nips and tucks along the course in the last year or two—mostly opening up some vistas along the river. Played a bit meh, but still carded a 73—aided by the fact that some of the knobs in the greens which work to redirect approach shots and make for some tricky up and over putts, were largely neutralized by the rain.

Speaking of Chicago, I have a boondoggle there next week—basically a one hour meet and greet with an institutional investor. Rather than turning around and jetting back to DC, was thinking of taking up a standing invitation I have to play Shoreacres. I have never played, but have heard good things. Bumpers or 2001 you ever play there and if so, what do you think?
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Was in Wisconsin again this past weekend. Got out at Milwaukee C.C. on Saturday. It was rainy and surprisingly warm—temperature flirted with 70 all day. Greens were very soft. It is a beautiful classic-style course. Tom Doak, who is doing our brand remodel at WGCC did a few nips and tucks along the course in the last year or two—mostly opening up some vistas along the river. Played a bit meh, but still carded a 73—aided by the fact that some of the knobs in the greens which work to redirect approach shots and make for some tricky up and over putts, were largely neutralized by the rain.

Speaking of Chicago, I have a boondoggle there next week—basically a one hour meet and greet with an institutional investor. Rather than turning around and jetting back to DC, was thinking of taking up a standing invitation I have to play Shoreacres. I have never played, but have heard good things. Bumpers or 2001 you ever play there and if so, what do you think?

Jump on it. Unique and amazing architecture and warrants all the praise it gets. It's not a hard course like Butler etc but if you appreciate classic design it's the best course in Chicago.

Let me know your schedule if it doesn't work up there. My club is in that area.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium