Status of the Athletic Department

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Status of the Athletic Department

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Bates is making a last gasp effort to raise money by overturning every stone. That's not necessarily a bad thing and is generally part of the job description. However, the amounts being asked (we are talking many, many multiples over any previous donations) reek of desperation. My take is that heading into his final year, with all that is not going on in the win column, he is doing a Hail Mary fundraising push to buy a re-upped contract.

In spite of the alleged extension, Bates seems ready to cut bait with Jimmy Mac. He is telling folks that it is a make-or-break year for JC... and that he needs to show significant improvement across the program. The implication being that he will be fired if that improvement is not immediately evident. Based on that, I don't think the recent extension came with BC owing significantly more in the way of buyout/termination payment.

In contrast, the Athletic Department is ALL IN on Daz. All the excuse-making for last year is regurgitated word-for-word. All the youth, injuries, bare cupboard nonsense is the response to every question or critique. Daz is the right guy... he understands BC, has the right assistants, knows what it takes to win, does it the right way, can recruit and is the perfect fit for the school. I don't know if Bates believes it or is too scared of Daz to do anything (I actually heard that rumor about year or two ago). It is also entirely possible that Bates HAS to believe it. Unlike JC, Daz's extension was real. As I understand it, Daz is now paid over 2 and if we were to fire him after our certain-to-be loss to Yukon, BC would be on the hook for close to $10mm. Once again, this shows how the BOT's reluctance to do its job costs the University dearly.

My take aways...
Bates is feeling pressure and could be gone. (50% chance he sees Fall 2017)
Bates seems at the ready to sacrifice JC. Combine that with Jimmy Mac's ability to deliver improvement... he's a goner. (25% chance he sees Fall 2017... mostly based upon the chance that Bates is told to leave first and coaching decisions are left to the new AD)
There isn't a safer coach in America than Steve Addazio. When you factor in coaches leaving on their own accord (yes... coaches do that... just not at BC), it is entirely possible that Daz is the coach MOST likely to be coaching the same team next year. (99% chance he sees Fall 2017... 75% chance he sees Fall 2018)
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Status of the Athletic Department

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:In contrast, the Athletic Department is ALL IN on Daz. All the excuse-making for last year is regurgitated word-for-word. All the youth, injuries, bare cupboard nonsense is the response to every question or critique. Daz is the right guy... he understands BC, has the right assistants, knows what it takes to win, does it the right way, can recruit and is the perfect fit for the school. I don't know if Bates believes it or is too scared of Daz to do anything (I actually heard that rumor about year or two ago). It is also entirely possible that Bates HAS to believe it. Unlike JC, Daz's extension was real. As I understand it, Daz is now paid over 2 and if we were to fire him after our certain-to-be loss to Yukon, BC would be on the hook for close to $10mm. Once again, this shows how the BOT's reluctance to do its job costs the University dearly.

This is why I think its just "noise" to talk about Addazio being fired. It will not happen, waaaayyyy too much money. He may never-EVER get another contract extension, but... he's here for the next 3 years at least.

HJS {l Wrote}:My take aways...
Bates is feeling pressure and could be gone. (50% chance he sees Fall 2017)
Bates seems at the ready to sacrifice JC. Combine that with Jimmy Mac's ability to deliver improvement... he's a goner. (25% chance he sees Fall 2017... mostly based upon the chance that Bates is told to leave first and coaching decisions are left to the new AD)
There isn't a safer coach in America than Steve Addazio. When you factor in coaches leaving on their own accord (yes... coaches do that... just not at BC), it is entirely possible that Daz is the coach MOST likely to be coaching the same team next year. (99% chance he sees Fall 2017... 75% chance he sees Fall 2018)

A contract is a contract
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 am

JC drops another 0-18 and he is gone. I think he has potential to actually be decent, although not just jettisoning Carter last year makes me a little nervous.

If Daz goes 3-9 or 4-8 including an 0fer in the ACC he is gone. Don't care how much money BC owes him, etc.

Still think football goes 6-6/7-5 and basketball improves so I don't think we are getting rid of any of these guys.

Whatever on the coaches, the guy I want gone is that empty suit Bates.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:21 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:A contract is a contract

I'm not sure if this refers to Bates, JC or Daz. But, it should be noted that most every employment contract has a termination provision. You could give someone a 20-year contract that allows at-will termination with only a $500 payout. These provisions are as hotly negotiated as the annual payouts. When I say Daz's extension was "real" it is based on my cursory understanding that it was negotiated at a point when Bates was desperate to show him a committment. Not only did Daz receive a big raise, but he also received security in the form of a monster buyout. JC, on the other hand, I believe was extended at his current rate with no additional termination negotiations. If I had to guess, JC's contract probably has something where the buyout decrements over time (e.g. owe 4 years if fired in first, owe 3 years if fired in 2nd, owe 2 years if fired in 3rd, owe 1 year if fired thereafter).
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:JC drops another 0-18 and he is gone. I think he has potential to actually be decent, although not just jettisoning Carter last year makes me a little nervous.

If Daz goes 3-9 or 4-8 including an 0fer in the ACC he is gone. Don't care how much money BC owes him, etc.

Still think football goes 6-6/7-5 and basketball improves so I don't think we are getting rid of any of these guys.

Whatever on the coaches, the guy I want gone is that empty suit Bates.

Daz and Jimmy Mac finishing .500 would probably be the best thing for the program. While it will likely extend both tenures, I have zero faith in Bates' ability to fix the mess he exacerbated.

Roadmap on what needs to happen...
First, the BOT needs to set up a committee responsible for the oversight of athletics.
Second, said committee needs to inform Bates that his contract will not be extended.
Third, the committee must hire someone who doesn't suck.
Fourth, the committee needs to give the new AD the funds necessary to terminate current contracts and hire elite coaches.
Fifth, the committee needs to approve the AD's coaching decisions immediately before they are made.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:26 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm not sure if this refers to Bates, JC or Daz. But, it should be noted that most every employment contract has a termination provision. You could give someone a 20-year contract that allows at-will termination with only a $500 payout. These provisions are as hotly negotiated as the annual payouts. When I say Daz's extension was "real" it is based on my cursory understanding that it was negotiated at a point when Bates was desperate to show him a committment. Not only did Daz receive a big raise, but he also received security in the form of a monster buyout. JC, on the other hand, I believe was extended at his current rate with no additional termination negotiations. If I had to guess, JC's contract probably has something where the buyout decrements over time (e.g. owe 4 years if fired in first, owe 3 years if fired in 2nd, owe 2 years if fired in 3rd, owe 1 year if fired thereafter).

this is my understanding as well.

bates bought high on daz
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:32 am

1-3 yes.

Whoever you hire you give autonomy.

You don't need to spend top 10% money on coaches
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:35 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm not sure if this refers to Bates, JC or Daz. But, it should be noted that most every employment contract has a termination provision. You could give someone a 20-year contract that allows at-will termination with only a $500 payout. These provisions are as hotly negotiated as the annual payouts. When I say Daz's extension was "real" it is based on my cursory understanding that it was negotiated at a point when Bates was desperate to show him a committment. Not only did Daz receive a big raise, but he also received security in the form of a monster buyout. JC, on the other hand, I believe was extended at his current rate with no additional termination negotiations. If I had to guess, JC's contract probably has something where the buyout decrements over time (e.g. owe 4 years if fired in first, owe 3 years if fired in 2nd, owe 2 years if fired in 3rd, owe 1 year if fired thereafter).

this is my understanding as well.

bates bought high on daz

Can't have back to back 0fers in the ACC. Don't care what the buyout amount is, he's gone
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:53 am

Assuming we win 1 ACC game and beat Wagner, I think the Uconn game is the game that determines Bates/Addazzio's future.

1. Bates was well aware that the alumni didnt want to play them. (Its a no win situation)
2. If we lose, hell will break loose. There will be a bigger dumpster fire here then all of Storrs usually is. We should all go ape shit to '74 levels and rant on every Bates posting and make his life impossible.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Can't have back to back 0fers in the ACC. Don't care what the buyout amount is, he's gone

No chance he gets fired after this year even if he doesn't win an ACC game and/or loses to UConn. You are forgetting who ultimately runs the place and he will not throw away $10mm just like that.

Jimmy MAC sucks.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:48 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Assuming we win 1 ACC game and beat Wagner, I think the Uconn game is the game that determines Bates/Addazzio's future.

1. Bates was well aware that the alumni didnt want to play them. (Its a no win situation)
2. If we lose, hell will break loose. There will be a bigger dumpster fire here then all of Storrs usually is. We should all go ape shit to '74 levels and rant on every Bates posting and make his life impossible.

If things go as anticipated, and between now and then the only win (outside Buff and Wagner) is Syracuse, Dazzler will be 4-6 heading into the UConn game with two left to play and two needed for bow eligibility. Could you imagine the shitstorm that would follow with a loss to UConn knocking us out of bowl contention? That might get the dominoes falling.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:00 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Assuming we win 1 ACC game and beat Wagner, I think the Uconn game is the game that determines Bates/Addazzio's future.

If things go as anticipated, and between now and then the only win (outside Buff and Wagner) is Syracuse, Dazzler will be 4-6 heading into the UConn game with two left to play and two needed for bow eligibility. Could you imagine the shitstorm that would follow with a loss to UConn knocking us out of bowl contention? That might get the dominoes falling.

If only we had someone who mattered to start the dominoes.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:02 am

What is with all this "just imagine" if we lose to Yukon. You don't have to dive too far into the fantastic for that as it will soon be a reality. We are not beating UConn this year. I'll put it this way... we have as much chance of beating UConn as Daz has of being fired. Better get used to both.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:What is with all this "just imagine" if we lose to Yukon. You don't have to dive too far into the fantastic for that as it will soon be a reality. We are not beating UConn this year. I'll put it this way... we have as much chance of beating UConn as Daz has of being fired. Better get used to both.

UConn was losing to Maine at halftime. It's not that BC is halfway to mediocre, it's just that UConn isn't either. This cripple fight could go any number of ways. Of course if Louisville, FSU and Clemson all drop half a hundred on BC in between now and the Yukon game, I will then agree that we're going to get curb stomped at Yukon.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:What is with all this "just imagine" if we lose to Yukon. You don't have to dive too far into the fantastic for that as it will soon be a reality. We are not beating UConn this year. I'll put it this way... we have as much chance of beating UConn as Daz has of being fired. Better get used to both.

You underestimate how bad UConn is. They are literally a mirror image of BC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:08 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

UConn was losing to Maine at halftime. It's not that BC is halfway to mediocre, it's just that UConn isn't either. This cripple fight could go any number of ways. Of course if Louisville, FSU and Clemson all drop half a hundred on BC in between now and the Yukon game, I will then agree that we're going to get curb stomped at Yukon.

Was there ever any doubt those 3 teams were dropping 40-50 points on BC?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:12 am

I know we're all in a doom and gloom mood right now, but I think people are overstating the odds of going winless in ACC play. This team looked better against GT and UMass. The disaster of VT doesn't take away from the fact that we can still look significantly better in the games ahead.

Wagner - W guaranteed
Bufallo - W guaranteed
Clemson - L
Syracuse - W very possible (got crushed by USF)
@ NCST - W very possible (lost to ECU and gave up significant points to William & Mary and Old Dominion)
Louisville - L
FSU - L
UConn - W very likely (could very easily be 0-3 right now against Maine, Navy and UVa)
Wake - W very possible (they've only played Duke of worth right now, and Duke looks bad, and we get them after FSU and Louisville)

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised to go 3-5 in ACC play. I wouldn't for a minute guarantee it. But it's very do-able, if only because Syracuse, NCST, and Wake are bad.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:12 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Yes, I thought our defense was still very good until last Saturday.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:36 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised to go 3-5 in ACC play. I wouldn't for a minute guarantee it. But it's very do-able, if only because Syracuse, NCST, and Wake are bad.

We are 0 for the last 10 ACC games! How in the world can someone NOT be surprised if we win a single ACC game... let alone 3?

I love when folks denegrate teams like Yukon, Cuse, Wake and RCC claiming that we all don't know how truly bad they are. If you think any of them aren't better than BC, then you truly underestimate how terrible BC currently is.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:57 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Yes, I thought our defense was still very good until last Saturday.

The quitting caused a lot of that. If he can get the defense back with their heads on straight over the next few weeks, they won't give up 40+ again. If he runs around like a mindless numbnuts yelling at everyone and loses them, well then yeah, they are going to get killed.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The quitting caused a lot of that. If he can get the defense back with their heads on straight over the next few weeks, they won't give up 40+ again. If he runs around like a mindless numbnuts yelling at everyone and loses them, well then yeah, they are going to get killed.

So... you are saying they are going to get killed.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The quitting caused a lot of that. If he can get the defense back with their heads on straight over the next few weeks, they won't give up 40+ again. If he runs around like a mindless numbnuts yelling at everyone and loses them, well then yeah, they are going to get killed.

that's the way i read it
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised to go 3-5 in ACC play. I wouldn't for a minute guarantee it. But it's very do-able, if only because Syracuse, NCST, and Wake are bad.

We are 0 for the last 10 ACC games! How in the world can someone NOT be surprised if we win a single ACC game... let alone 3?

I love when folks denegrate teams like Yukon, Cuse, Wake and RCC claiming that we all don't know how truly bad they are. If you think any of them aren't better than BC, then you truly underestimate how terrible BC currently is.

While I generally agree, putting yukon on that list is wrong. I think you are severely underestimating the massive talent gap between all those teams and Yukon, and Diaco may be one of the few coaches at any level worse that Addazio. For all then crap BC went thru last year, yukon was 2 spots better in total offense (and they stayed completely healthy). They were lucky to beat UVA (who lost to a 1AA) and Maine (who is 1AA). Yukon is closer to UMass than any of the teams listed above, that game will not be close
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:03 pm

I am the only one who thinks Jimmy MAC deserves more slack than Daz?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:07 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

that's the way i read it

Pretty much. Was just acknowledging that it is not for a lack of talent.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Tom Dooder on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:30 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I am the only one who thinks Jimmy MAC deserves more slack than Daz?

Nope, I agree but he needs to start winning some recruiting battles. A lot of transfers out this offseason and I'm not sure they are all for the better when you look at the talent coming back. It's going to be another rough year.

If Bates is already bailing on him that should mean there are bigger concerns internally than what we are seeing from the outside.

Or Bates is just really that shitty of a human being. Can't dismiss those odds.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:26 pm

Do you realize that they haven't even hit the iron of their schedule yet? They have three (3) Top 15 teams left on the schedule along with IMHO 4 coin flips (Wake, NC State, Cuse and UConn). Going forward they have 2 wins 3 losses and 4 maybes. I'm guessing they split the maybes and end up at best 5-7.

What do you think the over/under for Louisville will be? I think it will be 91.5 and Louisville could put up 70 on BC. That is not a pipe dream. The team quit. Dazzler acknowledged that his guys are not used to the "spotlight" and he saw a deer in the headlights look at VT by many of the players. They will have played FSU and Clemson by the time November 5th rolls around and Louisville comes in. They could be undefeated and ranked #1 in the country. I remember Daz talking about big stage and being in awe of opponents when BC played USC in LA a few years ago. Nothing much has changed there it seems.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:40 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I am the only one who thinks Jimmy MAC deserves more slack than Daz?

I see at least what the plan is for basketball, I have no clue where football is going anymore.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Thoughts on the recent promotions within Yawkee?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby L35guy on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Given how Daz seems to be unable to control his temper (see ND game last year), is it completely implausible that he'll do something stupid to force the school to fire him (such as locking a concussed player in a closet)? That may be our only hope.
L35guy
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:35 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Thoughts on the recent promotions within Yawkee?

?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium