2017 University President Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 University President Candidates Thread

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Trustee or former trustee Greg Barber who donated 2.5 million to endow the HC position tried to form an athletics board made up of trustees. Leahy was adamantly opposed to the idea and killed it. Leahy's arrogance is only surpassed by his ignorance!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:09 am

eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:I have yet to find full-time work as a moderator since IB got me fired. Would be happy to be the next el presidente of Boston College (first non-jebby).

oh jeez not this again....
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:35 am

Can someone please explain to me why someone like John Fish is chairman of the board and someone like Greg Barber was alienated?

Barber by the way is currently a volunteer assistant of the men's golf team at URI.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:48 am

Didn't Barber fall out with GDF over the ACC deal?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Didn't Barber fall out with GDF over the ACC deal?

i thought that it was over not having any say in the national search for jags' replacement. maybe it was the tobias replacement, i'm not sure
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:22 pm

If I recall correctly, Barber's fallout with GDF was over Toby's firing and subsequent Jags hiring. Barber was not given a head's up about the first and was not allowed any input on the second. Barber was very vocal about TOB's departure to RCC was forced upon the Daniel Island resident. He was very upset with his buddy losing his power struggle to an Oompa Loompa. I can't recall specifically, but I seem to remember that Barber had a preferred candidate that he was pushing who wasn't into dental hygenists. Ultimately, I believe Barber was underwhelmed with the Jiggsie hire and thought BC could've done better. His outraged was heired at the BOT. When his demand of a committee to oversee GDF was denied, he quit and cut ties with the school. That's how I recall it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

If I recall correctly, Barber's fallout with GDF was over Toby's firing and subsequent Jags hiring. Barber was not given a head's up about the first and was not allowed any input on the second. Barber was very vocal about TOB's departure to RCC was forced upon the Daniel Island resident. He was very upset with his buddy losing his power struggle to an Oompa Loompa. I can't recall specifically, but I seem to remember that Barber had a preferred candidate that he was pushing who wasn't into dental hygenists. Ultimately, I believe Barber was underwhelmed with the Jiggsie hire and thought BC could've done better. His outraged was heired at the BOT. When his demand of a committee to oversee GDF was denied, he quit and cut ties with the school. That's how I recall it.

In my google research on Greg Barber after posing this question, I stumbled on some old articles about the TOB and Jags firings and hiring of Spaz. One had the quote below:

Greg Barber, a recently retired Boston College trustee and longtime patron of the football program, has been a vocal and persistent detractor of DeFilippo’s. (The two had a falling-out about five years ago.) He says DeFilippo’s tight grip led not only Jags to leave, but his predecessor, Tom O’Brien, too. “When administrators start to do the coaching, you get problems,” Barber says. As an example, he contends that after O’Brien’s departure, DeFilippo alienated at least one potential replacement by mandating which assistants he could and couldn’t hire. DeFilippo denies this, saying he only “recommended strongly” some names. One of those strong recommendations, it should be noted, was that then–assistant coach Spaziani be retained.

Does anyone recall which coaching candidate this was?

I recognize that I am now beginning to rehash issues from 10 years ago, but you can pretty much trace today's issues to the 2006 decision to squeeze out TOB and hire Jags.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:42 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

In my google research on Greg Barber after posing this question, I stumbled on some old articles about the TOB and Jags firings and hiring of Spaz. One had the quote below:

Greg Barber, a recently retired Boston College trustee and longtime patron of the football program, has been a vocal and persistent detractor of DeFilippo’s. (The two had a falling-out about five years ago.) He says DeFilippo’s tight grip led not only Jags to leave, but his predecessor, Tom O’Brien, too. “When administrators start to do the coaching, you get problems,” Barber says. As an example, he contends that after O’Brien’s departure, DeFilippo alienated at least one potential replacement by mandating which assistants he could and couldn’t hire. DeFilippo denies this, saying he only “recommended strongly” some names. One of those strong recommendations, it should be noted, was that then–assistant coach Spaziani be retained.

I recognize that I am now beginning to rehash issues from 10 years ago, but you can pretty much trace today's issues to the 2006 decision to squeeze out TOB and hire Jags.

tommy amaker
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:29 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Whipple.

If you recall, he was the runaway favorite to get the job. As the story goes, he has a very good interview. When asked what his staff would look like, GDF strongly objected to the replacement of Spaz with a guy who had never been outside of the DIAA... Don Brown. As I remember it, GDF did something like... "don't worry, I've got you covered on the assistants" and starting Whipple who he would be hiring for his staff. Whipple... at that moment... realized what he was getting into with GDF and made the very tough call to walk away from the job. Let's note that the BC gig would have been huge for Whipple's career (which went sideways thereafter). But... the irony of Don Brown replacing Spaz's D was not lost.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:57 pm

GDF always wanted Spaz on staff regardless of who the Head Coach was. Jags was willing to play ball and that is one of the reasons he got the job. GDF also put Day, Siravo, Bick Jr, McGovern and Jim Turner on Jags staff. Jags' only true hires were Logan, Yanosky and Sirmans. Jag and Spaz hired Commissiong together. JDF was very close to being on staff, but GDF thought better of it.

GDF's comment on Don Brown was priceless in retrospect: "Don Brown is not a DIA level coordinator."
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:46 pm

GDF is only a grad of Springfield College, a real moron hired by a complete idiot of a president. This athletic department is permanently fucked as long as Leahy is here.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:09 pm

Does Leahys replacement have to be from the Jesuits ? (I just noticed that Georgetowns President is not from the Jesuit order)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:13 pm

No, the president is selected by the BOT and being a Jesuit although a preference is not a requirement.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:41 pm

GDF sucks but Don Brown is ridiculously overrated by the morons that still watch BC football.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:01 pm

Don Brown's record of success speaks for itself. The fact that the BC defense is regressing with DB gone should not be a surprise. Every ACC coach stated that BC was near impossible to prepare for due to DB's defense. The guy can flat out coach and BC would be wise to bring him back as HC. You can rattle off big name after big name (Josh McDaniels, TC) but they are not coming to BC. Among the candidates that will be interested in BC, Don Brown is the best candidate.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:41 pm

Dude you gotta stop with the constant Don Brown lobbying. He's 61 and hasn't been a HC in a decade. What makes you think he wants to leave a cushy DC job where he can recruit anyone in the country, for what will probably be a mediocre raise (I'm sure he'll make out well in AA with bonuses, but take into account the infrastructure/headache that BC is, it's. Ot worth any potential comp bump). It's never going to happen
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:43 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Whipple.

If you recall, he was the runaway favorite to get the job. As the story goes, he has a very good interview. When asked what his staff would look like, GDF strongly objected to the replacement of Spaz with a guy who had never been outside of the DIAA... Don Brown. As I remember it, GDF did something like... "don't worry, I've got you covered on the assistants" and starting Whipple who he would be hiring for his staff. Whipple... at that moment... realized what he was getting into with GDF and made the very tough call to walk away from the job. Let's note that the BC gig would have been huge for Whipple's career (which went sideways thereafter). But... the irony of Don Brown replacing Spaz's D was not lost.

Whipple actually proposed 2 coaches to be his DC both were 1aa head coaches at the time and cronies of his that never coached above 1aa. The other person is his current DC Tom Masella. Perhaps he thought one dago for another.... :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:GDF sucks but Don Brown is ridiculously overrated by the morons that still watch BC football.

this

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:56 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:GDF sucks but Don Brown is ridiculously overrated by the morons that still watch BC football.

this

Well... it sounds like the Michigan natives are getting restless with 3rd Down Donnie Brown regularly giving up chunk plays.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

this

Well... it sounds like the Michigan natives are getting restless with 3rd Down Donnie Brown regularly giving up chunk plays.

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:38 pm

The biggest reason he left was to get away from Daz. Brown couldn't stand working for him.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:24 am

It saddens me that the few fans who still follow BC sports would support the candidacy of ANY coach who was on the staff(s) instrumental to BC's demise in athletics. Quite honestly, anyone who does so deserves the programs that we so richly enjoy today.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

this

Is that lube?
Who tucks in a sweatshirt?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:57 am

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:The biggest reason he left was to get away from Daz. Brown couldn't stand working for him.

There were a million reasons a year he left. Nothing in his past would indicate that he had a problem with Addazio or any other coach he's worked for. He's a mercenary and UM came in with the highest price, that's it
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Let's not get overly dramatic, DB got a much better job offer at double his salary under a stable coach versus staying at BC for less money with the HC being on the hot seat.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium