Time to dump the dazzler thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Time to dump the dazzler thread

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:11 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Three games into the season and the team has already quit on their meatball coach.

This didn't feel like a quit job as much as it felt like just getting utterly dominated. In Spaz's last year in 2012 the players quit. You could just see they had no enthusiasm from the moment they came out of the locker room.

With that said, it's games like today that can cause a team to quit. Need to iron out the kinks with Wagner and Buffalo so we don't get destroyed by Clemson. If Clemson destroys us there's a very real possibility that this team will just quit on Daz.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Have we become the Duke football of the ACC?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Can we all agree we are now in the Daz lame duck period? It may last however long but, I mean, this has to be it.

You mean there's a lame duck period before a contract extension?

Tell greenarthur that he shouldn't give Bates any ideas.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:19 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Have we become the Duke football of the ACC?

Even worse. No matter how bad Duke football was, at least they had basketball season. Kansas, also has basketball.

We're becoming Rutgers.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:30 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:I'd be all for termination of the Dazzler if I knew we would make a decent hire.

This.

In the same way that replacing Spaz didn't fix things, in the same way that replacing GDF didn't fix things, replacing Daz and replacing Bates won't change anything. This is direct result of the administrations lack of interest in football success. It's going to take a top down renewed commitment to athletic success to really change things.

I won't be happy unless build top to bottom new facilities, drop DBS and the tailgating restrictions, and pay whatever it takes ($20m per year) to hire Saban.

Bingo.

The $20m for Saban thing is hyperbole obviously, but they do need to throw serious dollars at a proven program builder. Do it in conjunction with new facilities and things would turn quickly. The issue is that there's no way BC is willing to commit those kind of resources to athletics unless there's a threat of losing the ACC handout on the table for their continued place alongside Kansas as the biggest disgrace of a program in the Power 5.

This needs to come from the alumni. BC may not have a rich benefactor but the alumni base on the whole is very well off. Surely there's enough well-off alumni to move the needle.

For example, I will pledge to donate $500 annually for every $1m they spend on basketball, football and hockey coaching. Spend $10m on a new football coach and I'll cut BC a check for $5K tomorrow. We just need 1,999 more like me to make this revenue neutral for the administration! Anyone?

Joking aside, but so many donors are athletics fans. There should be some sort of organization to make donations contingent on athletics commitment. Like The Gridiron Club, but with balls and more renegade energy.
Last edited by dtwalrus on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:32 pm

The only thing saving Daz is that this was Virginia Tech. Losing to Army is what killed Spaz. A loss to Buffalo or UConn kills Dazs career.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot Bates was the one who hired Daz. He is tied to this as well. Brad may fire Daz to save himself.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:01 pm

this team will lose to yukon

reading through the season prediction thread is high comedy. it's as if many of you didn't watch slaughter last year
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Gowins and Alston helped Stony Brook upset #2 ranked Richmond today. There is life after the dazzler for some. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:33 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:I'd be all for termination of the Dazzler if I knew we would make a decent hire.

This.

In the same way that replacing Spaz didn't fix things, in the same way that replacing GDF didn't fix things, replacing Daz and replacing Bates won't change anything. This is direct result of the administrations lack of interest in football success. It's going to take a top down renewed commitment to athletic success to really change things.

I won't be happy unless build top to bottom new facilities, drop DBS and the tailgating restrictions, and pay whatever it takes ($20m per year) to hire Saban.

Bingo.

The $20m for Saban thing is hyperbole obviously, but they do need to throw serious dollars at a proven program builder. Do it in conjunction with new facilities and things would turn quickly. The issue is that there's no way BC is willing to commit those kind of resources to athletics unless there's a threat of losing the ACC handout on the table for their continued place alongside Kansas as the biggest disgrace of a program in the Power 5.

This needs to come from the alumni. BC may not have a rich benefactor but the alumni base on the whole is very well off. Surely there's enough well-off alumni to move the needle.

For example, I will pledge to donate $500 annually for every $1m they spend on basketball, football and hockey coaching. Spend $10m on a new football coach and I'll cut BC a check for $5K tomorrow. We just need 1,999 more like me to make this revenue neutral for the administration! Anyone?

Joking aside, but so many donors are athletics fans. There should be some sort of organization to make donations contingent on athletics commitment. Like The Gridiron Club, but with balls and more renegade energy.

I was trying to do this in the old days of TOS. Open an attorney trust account for donations and if they meet certain goals BC gets it, if not, they never see it. I was hoping to have people donate to it rather than the Flynn Fund and hoped it would get big enough to move the needle. No one cared. I could even have the donations go to a charitable organization to get the deduction.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:58 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:Three games into the season and the team has already quit on their meatball coach.

This didn't feel like a quit job as much as it felt like just getting utterly dominated. In Spaz's last year in 2012 the players quit. You could just see they had no enthusiasm from the moment they came out of the locker room.

With that said, it's games like today that can cause a team to quit. Need to iron out the kinks with Wagner and Buffalo so we don't get destroyed by Clemson. If Clemson destroys us there's a very real possibility that this team will just quit on Daz.

Utterly dominated by a bottom tier team. In other words, fucking quit like dogs. ZERO sympathy for the players
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:Gowins and Alston helped Stony Brook upset #2 ranked Richmond today. There is life after the dazzler for some. :ace

Albany is crushing Holy Cross. They are going o drop a huge dump on the Brook. Alston sucks
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:10 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Daz beat this team in Year 1 and 2 with far less talent.

I don't get what is going on here

They don't have any talent on the field. Daz can't recruit.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:10 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Daz beat this team in Year 1 and 2 with far less talent.

I don't get what is going on here

That 2014 VTech team was terrible. As far as 2013: see Williams, Andre.
As much as I want Daz gone, I think it is more important that Bates does not name his replacement. Bates really bought into "we can't hire a coach that may leave" philosophy with this hire.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:16 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:this team will lose to yukon

reading through the season prediction thread is high comedy. it's as if many of you didn't watch slaughter last year

I did the same, and it is amazing how many are blind to what has really transpired under Daz...he was so lucky frankly that Murphy experiment worked...since then, the OL, his stock in trade, mind you, has been a disaster (let the "youth" apologists begin). 4 years in he is reliant on "rental QB hope and a prayer", with year 5 outlook no more stable at that position than 3 or 4 years ago.

He came in with a reputation as a recruiting wizard, which clearly was fashioned on Meyers' coattails; in 4 years, just look at the comparative ranking of BC's classes vis a vis the rest of the ACC.

I guess hope springs eternal...at hiring, Addazio said BC would be an ACC championship contender in 5 years...last year, we were the worst of the bunch. anyone willing to bet today that we might be any better than 8th best team in the entire conference? Anyone willing to commit to the proposition that next year will be a marked improvement.

Arguments that the AD must precede the next coaching change are valid. What Leahy does in that regard is and can be impacted by money, but not by the promises of a bunch of $5k donors....BC has real donors who have the kind of influence to shape the future regardless of who the president is. Frankly, I have no idea what those power brokers think about athletics. But how quickly (or slowly) BC reaches its $200M goal is as good and telling indication as any. $5k donors won't make that happen. Donors who get their names on buildings can.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:39 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:

I did the same, and it is amazing how many are blind to what has really transpired under Daz...he was so lucky frankly that Murphy experiment worked...since then, the OL, his stock in trade, mind you, has been a disaster (let the "youth" apologists begin). 4 years in he is reliant on "rental QB hope and a prayer", with year 5 outlook no more stable at that position than 3 or 4 years ago.

He came in with a reputation as a recruiting wizard, which clearly was fashioned on Meyers' coattails; in 4 years, just look at the comparative ranking of BC's classes vis a vis the rest of the ACC.

I guess hope springs eternal...at hiring, Addazio said BC would be an ACC championship contender in 5 years...last year, we were the worst of the bunch. anyone willing to bet today that we might be any better than 8th best team in the entire conference? Anyone willing to commit to the proposition that next year will be a marked improvement.

Arguments that the AD must precede the next coaching change are valid. What Leahy does in that regard is and can be impacted by money, but not by the promises of a bunch of $5k donors....BC has real donors who have the kind of influence to shape the future regardless of who the president is. Frankly, I have no idea what those power brokers think about athletics. But how quickly (or slowly) BC reaches its $200M goal is as good and telling indication as any. $5k donors won't make that happen. Donors who get their names on buildings can.

Your recruiting argument is flat out wrong. Addazio built a reputation as a recruiter not just because of Meyer, but because he was recruiting to actual infrastructure, something he can actually sell. When you have the worst set of facilities in the country and a degree that is, at best, on par with Duke, Stanford, Wake, Vanderbilt, ND, there just isnt a selling point. Firing Addazio isnt going to change that as nobody is recruiting elite talent to this place, its just not going to happen. With that being said, talent isnt the primary issue with this team, its clearly Addazio's archaic system. Whining about subjective rankings by TGOSB, where there is almost no difference between teams 6-14, is just dumb.

You say BC has these apparent donors. Where are they ? Where have they been ? If this was a situation where these "influential donors" had given money in the past (they obviously haven't, just look at the state of the facilities and the general joke that this athletic department is from a lack of staff perspective) and just aren't now because of underperformance, then I would say you had a point, and a new AD should be brought in to sell the program. The donors don't exist. The BC people with money don't care. Unless BC gets creative with some different financing options, this thing is just going to continue to spiral out of control. Meanwhile, Miami just lined up half of the cost of their IPF from a non-alum and will probably break ground years before BC ever does.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 am

this isn't a talent issue, this is a coaching issue. this is a coach who believes in 'putting the ball in your d's hands with the game on the line', punting from the 37, going for a fg on 4th & 1 in the rain, running on 66%+ of 1st downs, etc.

he coaches like there's been no advancement in football since 1990
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:20 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

Your recruiting argument is flat out wrong. Addazio built a reputation as a recruiter not just because of Meyer, but because he was recruiting to actual infrastructure, something he can actually sell. When you have the worst set of facilities in the country and a degree that is, at best, on par with Duke, Stanford, Wake, Vanderbilt, ND, there just isnt a selling point. Firing Addazio isnt going to change that as nobody is recruiting elite talent to this place, its just not going to happen. With that being said, talent isnt the primary issue with this team, its clearly Addazio's archaic system. Whining about subjective rankings by TGOSB, where there is almost no difference between teams 6-14, is just dumb.

You say BC has these apparent donors. Where are they ? Where have they been ? If this was a situation where these "influential donors" had given money in the past (they obviously haven't, just look at the state of the facilities and the general joke that this athletic department is from a lack of staff perspective) and just aren't now because of underperformance, then I would say you had a point, and a new AD should be brought in to sell the program. The donors don't exist. The BC people with money don't care. Unless BC gets creative with some different financing options, this thing is just going to continue to spiral out of control. Meanwhile, Miami just lined up half of the cost of their IPF from a non-alum and will probably break ground years before BC ever does.

BC has plenty of money. Just look at the infrastructure improvements on the campus. The latest fundraising campaign raised a ton of money. As of yet, that money, and those donors, are not committed to athletics. That why the progress to meeting the $200M commitment will be indicative.

Regardless of the current state of comparable facilities the issue is the relative progress this coach is making 4 years into his tenure. If the issue of deficient recruiting relative the rest of the ACC is all a question of facilities, then it doesn't who the HC IS, does it. The dazzler wasn't hired with a parallel commitment made by the AD that there would be facility improvements. He was hired based on his perceived and advertised strenghes, one of which was that he was a strong recruiter. Not that he was a strong recruiter as long as BC developed comparable facilities to the rest of the ACC. Again, Addazio's performance cannot, and should Mr be excused or qualified by some specious argument about facilities. The simple question is how much better or stronger is this program 4 years into his tenure. It was the worst of the bunch last season. As this point this season he is still 0 fer in the ACC, after the worst drubbing in BC conference history.

He blames youth, hostile environment, lack of receiver aggressiveness in his post game presser. No mention of the readily apparent lack of in game adjustments, or the seeming lack of preparation for that opponent yesterday.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:33 am

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:46 am

What is this 200 million dollar campaign? BC raised 305 million for athletics (not the student rec center) during the light the world campaign. That money has all been spent on varsity athletics. It includes 18 million per year on scholarships. As long as BC refuses to pay for scholarships the money raised by the Flynn Fund will never be enough to build any facilities.

Recruiting and coaching are both to blame for a 49-0 rout. BC will always be at the bottom of the ACC with GT, Wake, Duke, UVA. GT has a good recruiting base to have very good years, but the other 4 will always be at the bottom with hopes of a flash in the pan season. BC needs to accept this fact and accept that the football program will never support 31 varsity teams. Prices for parking, tickets, DBS, etc should all be reduced by 50% to salvage what is left of the fan base. BB's salary should be cut from 700 k to 200 k and Adazzio salary from 2.5 to 500 k. Neither will get better offers from anybody else. There is no need to continue to throw money at these two positions. Leahy and the BOT have zero interest in competing in the ACC, they just want the money. Their position is unethical and their treatment of the fans is unethical. I have made my last donation to BC.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:20 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

BC has plenty of money. Just look at the infrastructure improvements on the campus. The latest fundraising campaign raised a ton of money. As of yet, that money, and those donors, are not committed to athletics. That why the progress to meeting the $200M commitment will be indicative.

Regardless of the current state of comparable facilities the issue is the relative progress this coach is making 4 years into his tenure. If the issue of deficient recruiting relative the rest of the ACC is all a question of facilities, then it doesn't who the HC IS, does it. The dazzler wasn't hired with a parallel commitment made by the AD that there would be facility improvements. He was hired based on his perceived and advertised strenghes, one of which was that he was a strong recruiter. Not that he was a strong recruiter as long as BC developed comparable facilities to the rest of the ACC. Again, Addazio's performance cannot, and should Mr be excused or qualified by some specious argument about facilities. The simple question is how much better or stronger is this program 4 years into his tenure. It was the worst of the bunch last season. As this point this season he is still 0 fer in the ACC, after the worst drubbing in BC conference history.

He blames youth, hostile environment, lack of receiver aggressiveness in his post game presser. No mention of the readily apparent lack of in game adjustments, or the seeming lack of preparation for that opponent yesterday.

Last I checked this was a football message board, not an academic message board. BC does have money to spend on academics infrastructure, they've shown that. They don't have donors (or institutional interest) interested in giving to athletics, they've shown that too. At this point, anyone who complains about TGoSB rankings, and doesn't equate that to the state of facilities at BC, is just blind to the state of college football in 2016. Go take a trip anywhere else n the country, you'll be shocked how many miles BC has fallen behind.

Corners, I'll take your comments with a grain of salt. However, if BC did in fact raise $300mm for athletics (that's not earmarked for the rec center), and it has not gone to very basic facility/ATH dept upgrades, then just shut this whole thing down because the mismanagement is higher than Addazio or Bates, and nothing is going to change the trajectory of this joke. They raised $300mm in the LTW campaign and $18mm went to scholarships ? Where did the rest go ? The baseball facility has already morphed into a high school level facility, and I'm sure if shovels ever get in the ground for an IPF, it will prob get scaled back to a 50 yard field. It's simply amazing how incompetent this university can be towards athletics when they seem to get it with regards to the general academic operations.
Last edited by BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:36 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:O for the ACC looks possible.

Not sure if a Weak Forest win will save the ole Sarge, this is getting pathetic
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:37 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:I give up. BC shouldn't lose by this much.

Liberty gave VT more of a game,don't book them for an easy peasey W.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:50 am

Sarge and the team must have been looking ahead to the must win Wagner game. Sarge knows not many expect him to beat ACC teams so games like Wagner become must wins to extend his pathetic career. This year, a W at Weak Forest is necessary, a 3 year ACC losing streak is tough to excuse away.

BC went el cheapo with Sarge n Bates and these results aren't totally shocking.

Objective outsiders were saying BC didn't belong in the ACC and those chickens have fully roosted. BC will stay as long as the rest of the ACC needs a convenient punching bag.

Taking BC for big Boston TV market probably isn't paying off. BC viewership on their espn3 network isn't worth much and ND is probably the only ACC with significant Boston interest now.

HC, Army, Navy, UMass, Uconn, Fordham,Villanova, Delaware, SU, Stony Brook,Buffalo, Pitt is a reasonable footballlineup for BC in the post ACC world. Lots of natural, competitive, rivals.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:58 am

You folks that are saying "BC will just never be able to recruit elite players" and "we are who we are" have bought into this imaginary ceiling that is put on the program's potential. This is one of the greatest cities in the world offering one of the best degrees you can receive; if ND can recruit kids to a fucking cornfield, BC can do whatever they want, they just have losers steering the ship.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:10 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:You folks that are saying "BC will just never be able to recruit elite players" and "we are who we are" have bought into this imaginary ceiling that is put on the program's potential. This is one of the greatest cities in the world offering one of the best degrees you can receive; if ND can recruit kids to a fucking cornfield, BC can do whatever they want, they just have losers steering the ship.

Its not an imaginary ceiling. The ceiling is real until something changes top down. This isn't a one off, this is 10 years of egregious mismanagement and being in Boston and having an OK degree don't cut it anymore. This is the last year were donating (only because the check has already been cashed for '16) and our family have been ticket holders since the early 70's. Its just not worth it anymore when they don't care.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:16 am

Superfan: call athletic development yourself to confirm my post.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:55 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

Last I checked this was a football message board, not an academic message board. BC does have money to spend on academics infrastructure, they've shown that. They don't have donors (or institutional interest) interested in giving to athletics, they've shown that too. At this point, anyone who complains about TGoSB rankings, and doesn't equate that to the state of facilities at BC, is just blind to the state of college football in 2016. Go take a trip anywhere else n the country, you'll be shocked how many miles BC has fallen behind.

Corners, I'll take your comments with a grain of salt. However, if BC did in fact raise $300mm for athletics (that's not earmarked for the rec center), and it has not gone to very basic facility/ATH dept upgrades, then just shut this whole thing down because the mismanagement is higher than Addazio or Bates, and nothing is going to change the trajectory of this joke. They raised $300mm in the LTW campaign and $18mm went to scholarships ? Where did the rest go ? The baseball facility has already morphed into a high school level facility, and I'm sure if shovels ever get in the ground for an IPF, it will prob get scaled back to a 50 yard field. It's simply amazing how incompetent this university can be towards athletics when they seem to get it with regards to the general academic operations.

BC takes north of $20M annually as its take from ACC revenues. That is more than enough to cover all its scholarship commitments.

As far as what portion of the LTW campaign money got earmarked for athletics, I have no idea.

What has been reported is that the $200M campaign to up grade athletic facilities was announced last year. I assume that was separate and apart from the LTW campaign. But I could be wrong on that point. But several athletic dept statements and other publicity surrounding the $200M athletics upgrade (that supposedly includes the indoor training/practice facilities) suggested that that money still needed to be raised, not that BC was sitting on a pile of money that was just waiting to be spent.

The last semi-detailed statement of position of the Athletic department I was supplied years ago during the GDF reign detailed the amount of $$ each ACC school had in terms of revenues, broken out by league shared revenues and revenues donated. This was prior to the realignment that brought in Pitt and Syracuse. BC was like fourth from the bottom in terms of total revenues, if I recall correctly.

What was most surprising, and quite shocking to me was that BC stated that they had something on the order of only 7500 FF donors, at the time of that report. My suspicion is that number may have degraded since then, based only on my personal experience as a (former) DBS donor, and watching the empty seats around me grow year by year.

I think BC finds it in the very tenuous situation of what must come first. I suspect, that poor regular donor support may be used by some in Administration as evidence that investment in athletics (beyond what they feel is more that reasonable now) is unnecessary, and unjustified. The converse of that is that donors, like myself, have suspended their donations because of a perceived disinterest or indifference by the administration in advancing athletics beyond what it is. Catch 22. Who blinks first.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:57 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

BC takes north of $20M annually as its take from ACC revenues. That is more than enough to cover all its scholarship commitments.

As far as what portion of the LTW campaign money got earmarked for athletics, I have no idea.

The $200M campaign to up grade athletic facilities was announced just last year. I assume that was separate and apart from the LTW campaign. But I could be wrong on that point. But several athletic dept statements and other publicity surrounding the $200M athletics upgrade (that supposedly includes the indoor training/practice facilities) suggested that that money still needed to be raised, not that BC was sitting on a pile of money that was just waiting to be spent.

The last semi-detailed statement of position of the Athletic department I was supplied years ago during the GDF reign detailed the amount of $$ each ACC school had in terms of revenues, broken out by league shared revenues and revenues donated. This was prior to the realignment that brought in Pitt and Syracuse. BC was like fourth from the bottom in terms of total revenues, if I recall correctly.

What was most surprising, and quite shocking to me was that BC stated that they had something on the order of only 7500 FF donors, at the time of that report. My suspicion is that number may have degraded since then, based only on my personal experience as a (former) DBS donor, and watching the empty seats around me grow year by year.

I think BC finds it in the very tenuous situation of what must come first. I suspect, that poor regular donor support may be used by some in Administration as evidence that investment in athletics (beyond what they feel is more that reasonable now) is unnecessary, and unjustified. The converse of that is that donors, like myself, have suspended their donations because of a perceived disinterest or indifference by the administration in advancing athletics beyond what it is. Catch 22. Who blinks first.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:02 pm

I have spoken with some high level donors and they all say that Leahy is the problem. I think we need an organized, public effort to dump Leahy. We need BC people running BC. We need to make life at BC a nightmare for Leahy and John Fish. Every P5 program has a chairman of the BOT that donates big money to athletics. It's a drop in the bucket for Fish to give 50 million over 5 years. Fish needs to step up and make that commitment or get off the board.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Superfan: call athletic development yourself to confirm my post.

I don't care enough anymore to go through that effort. I just find the info hard to believe. No way they raise $300mm for athletics (LTW) and an apparent $280mm is left over (ex scholarships) and nothing has happened. Based on your info, they've raised $500mm ($300mm for LTW and the recently announced $200mm) and we're getting a general student rec center and a sub-par baseball/softball facility (and apparently an IPF but I'll believe that when the shovels are in the ground). Even with those amenities, to raise that much money and not get more to advance athletics is mind boggling. I honestly hope that information is incorrect because that is borderline criminal if true.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium