Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Virginia Tech - 9/17/2016

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Virginia Tech - 9/17/2016

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:39 pm

Haven't seen any stupid quotes from an Addazio post-game presser today. Did he just not do one?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:51 am

i feel like hansen, but i was looking for them as well

Opening Statement ...
"Obviously, we played poorly today. We had some opportunities early that we didn't capitalize on. We had to create momentum and that didn't happen. In all three phases, we had opportunities that we didn't do anything with. We got our butts whooped, and that is the tale of the day. We have to go back and take a look at the tape. We have to improve and get better. We have to teach our young guys how to handle this environment. Being in this kind of environment and what it takes to turn back that tide. We will go back and do that, and we will move forward."

On if there was a point where things got out of hand ...
"Obviously in the second half. They had some quick multiple scores with some long balls and a couple PI calls. In the first half, there were some opportunities there. We had dropped balls. We got the ball at the 30-yard line on the first drive, and we turned the ball over. We come right back with a kickoff return, and we created a penalty that nullified a touchdown. Those are major momentum swings. You are talking about having the ball at the 30-yard line in the first series and then they turn their deal into score. We turn around and answer that score with a kickoff return for however many yards that was. That gets nullified by a penalty. You continue to see a series of things that were deflating. There were dropped balls everywhere. I didn't think we competed hard enough for some balls a couple of times. We didn't make the plays that we needed to make when they were available to us on both sides of the ball. In the first half, we were playing pretty physical on defense. We played pretty strong, but we gave up some plays. I think the offense lacked on capitalizing on the opportunities they had. That left the defense on the field for too long. It was a shame that we let that gap go from 14 to 21 before the half. Then we came back in the second half, and it got away from us. Plain and simple. That's where you have to be able to come out and make your best plays, so that you can turn the tide or momentum of the game around. It had to happen in that opening drive of the second half, which we were not able to do. I think we had a drop ball in that series right there. I can't exactly remember which one it was right now. That's the key and the focus of the game. We managed the first couple weeks to be able to make plays and make plays in the air on offense. My biggest concern is the mistakes being made of front in the run game. We are going to go back and look at the tape and get ready to roll next week."

On if the block in the back was disappointing ...
"It is what it is. You have a guy in there that is trying and playing as hard as he can. That's a young player making a mistake. Obviously, that mistake was costly, but guys go out and compete. They make mistakes. They make plays, and they make mistakes. It is part of the learning process. It happened. That's life, and we have to move forward. There will be a lot of good plays in his future as well."

On if the second half was disappointing ...
"Yes, but that's what happens when you start doing what we were doing. I was worried about the fact of establishing the run game, and we didn't do that. Uncharacteristically, we were dropping balls. We had to learn how to compete for some of those deep balls. There were a couple deep balls that were there to compete for. We have to learn how to do that. That's the youth of our wide receivers right there. It showed. We played a good team in a tough environment. You have to learn how to handle that. You can't shrink in that environment. You have to expand in that environment. I think that there were some guys that I looked at, and it was a big environment for them. It was probably the biggest they ever played in. They could feel that. I told the team that nothing is as good as it seems and nothing is as bad as it seems. That's where the reality falls, and the reality is that we can play a whole lot better than we played today. That's the reality of it. Make no mistake about it, we got our butts beat today. In a place like this, if you let it get away from you, it will snap over and roll on you real quick. I thought that happened in the third quarter very, very quickly."

On junior quarterback Jerod Evans ...
"I think he is a dual-threat quarterback. I thought he threw the ball pretty exceptionally well today. I thought they caught the ball really well today. They held onto the ball well today. All the plays that they could make, they made. All the plays that we had an opportunity to make, we didn't make. Including all the penalties that you want to throw in on top of that. That's what happens. I thought he did a nice job. I thought their team did a nice job. I thought they played at a high level today. That's what happened. I thought we played at a poor level, and they played at a high level. Then there became that gap."

On Boston College's offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler's return to Lane Stadium and what he was feeling before the game ...
"I really can't. I'm not here to speak for Scot Loeffler. Obviously, Scot Loeffler is extremely upset just like every other coach and player in that locker room. It doesn't matter who, what, when, where or why. We just came out. We didn't play well. We lost the football game, and that is the end of that."

On how taxing was the Virginia Tech offense ...
"It's taxing if you let it become taxing. If you are three and out, then it is not taxing. If you sustain drives, then it becomes very taxing. The throws down field were the story of the day. We had two critical PI's. Those lead to that third quarter roll that started happening right there. Obviously, we dropped balls on the other side. We are dropping them on one side, and they are throwing some long balls down the field for some completions and PI's. It created a third quarter gap really quickly. Running the ball early, there wasn't a lot going on. We were real good against the run, and then we had those issues in the back end. The calls were the calls."

On if this lost is any different than the lost against Georgia Tech in Dublin ...
"All losses hurt equally the same. They really do. When you lose a close game, it's crushing to you. When you come out in a game like this and get your but whooped in, it's crushing to you. I don't think one is worse than the other. I really don't. I think it is important to determine the why and the issues that have to be corrected. We have to found out what created this to happen this way. Obviously, we already discussed what I think off the field. I need to have the ability to watch the tape."

Graduate QB Patrick Towles

On the loss…
"It is very tough. We got our (butts) kicked today in all three facets. There isn't much to say about it. They outplayed us all four quarters. We have to get back to work tomorrow. There is a lot of football left this season."

On the home opener against Wagner…
"We are excited for our home opener against a good football team. We just have to go back to work and move on to next week."

On momentum change after the first-drive fumble and penalty on the kickoff…
"Yeah, momentum is huge. That first drive when (Michael Walker) fumbled hurt us but you can't put a finger on one person. It was everybody out there. I need to make better throws and smarter decisions. I have to play better."

On not letting loss affect the team…
"You just have to move on. In college football you can't worry about what happened. You have to look forward and this team will. We just have to get back to work; we have nine football games left. We have a great opportunity to get better this week and really put it on a team Saturday."

Senior DB John Johnson

On bouncing back from the tough loss…
"It was tough but that's the game of football. We just have to get on the film and try to get better. We are going to have those types of things come our way so we just have to be ready for them."

On playing at Lane Stadium…
"They are a solid football team. It was a hostile environment. Communicating – we have to be better on that. Like I said, it was a hostile environment and we have to get used to that."

On the Virginia Tech tempo offense…
"I think that we were ready for (Virginia Tech's) tempo. I think we had to get ready for the speed of the game and how fast their guys were moving. I think that we handled the tempo pretty well but they just played a better game than us. We have to get into film and fix everything."

If the BC defense was taxed…
"I don't think we were gassed (in the second half). I think it got a little redundant. (Virginia Tech) was running the same plays and gashing us on the same plays. I don't think we were physically gassed…We kind of got irritated. That's the word."

On if Virginia Tech was piling it on…
"They had to put us away. They couldn't let us hang around. I don't think they were piling it on. I think they showed a good deal of sportsmanship."

On the home opener in Alumni Stadium on Sept. 24…
"It will be great to be back home. That's our hostile environment. This was a road test and we didn't show up, so being back home will be great."
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:18 am

Nothing is as good as it seems and nothing is as bad as it seems.

This asshole is :spaz2 with a worse record. notorious orange, please defend this man
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:51 pm

He only used youth as an excuse twice in those quotes. Impressive.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:04 pm

The 49-0 defeat was our largest margin of defeat since 1950!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium