Quarterback/offensive (sic) future plan

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Quarterback/offensive (sic) future plan

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:12 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This. Day coached under TOB, Jags, Spaz and Daz... all of them were basically fired. Why the eff would you take the one guy whose tenure here overlapped the program's deterioration. If he is a real good guy who loves BC... great... hire him to replace Barry Gallup.

this reminded me. saw barry gallup on the sideline on saturday and was wondering, anyone have any idea what he does or what he has done to earn a lifetime contract at bc?

They moved Gallup off of Football Ops when Daz took over. Now his primary deal is networking with the Football Alumni for fundraising purposes.

That's just a cover for his real job - leaking information to gumshoes.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:13 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:So, let's assume that Towle remains healthy, and in all likelihood, no game is a blowout allowing for Wade to get significant playing time.
I don't know or recall if Wade gets a redshirt for last year; in any event he is listed as a redshirt sophomore on this year's roster.

So next year, presumably, it becomes a QB trial between Wade and Brown. If Brown, we start from scratch again.

I'm still trying to figure out whether we will ever get a two year starting job at QB, and as a correllary to that, whether we will ever run a consistent offensive scheme for more than a year or two at a time.

Seems to me, most good coaches have a system, recruit to their system, and develop consistency over time. It's referred to as their "program".

After this year, a full four years into it, it seems that Addazio is still in the mode of throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks, offensively.

:shrug Well... duh. He hasn't recruited a QB in 4 years. So of course, he is still throwing spaghetti. Being a HC at the power-5 level (and at the BCS level before it) is a sales job. Addazio can't close, he can't sell.

:toby gave us William Green and a few others, but it was that recruiting class from 2003 that made him the winningest football coach in BC history. At this level, you simply have to recruit. Or... you lose. Its that simple.

ib, what's up with all the ellipses? It doesn't make you a better writer.

I can't believe I have to defend Daz

Then don't. Be reasonable. Accept the fact that Daz can't sell and.... shut up about it. I am at peace with the fact that 7 wins (going 3-1 OOC) is the absolute best we can get with Addazio, why can't you be?

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:but IB's whacked out revisionist history calls for it.

Your fabled 2003 recruiting class had the ultimate example of throwing $hit against the wall in Paul Peterson. The staff was very uncertain about Porter, so they brought in the utlra rare JUCO prospect.

As for TOB the closer, we went with Matt Ryan in that class only after TOB couldn't close on Brady Quinn.

:shrug why is this a problem? This was fantastic. :toby recruited the best QB in the nation in 2003. :toby also recruited the best tailback in the nation in 1999. That is getting it done, selling.

I am not saying that Daz has to bring in a Brian Toal or even a William Blackmon every year, but... something. Anything. Even Jags/Spaz gave us Kuechly and Andre Williams.

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:If Addazio needs to bring in a fifth year every year, who cares. Finding and developing college QBs is hard. His job is to get the best team on the field.

Okay well.... BC used to have coaches that could sell. Now they don't. And that sucks. We used to complain about how awful a game day coach :toby was with his annual WTF loss. Every single year, we had at least one of those. But that was only because BC was so mathematically superior to the team they were losing to on the field. NOW we have to hope against hope and wait for Addazio to present us with a possible 2014-USC-esque WTF.... win! Wow, how the mighty have fallen.

I am agreeing with the creator of this message thread. The team does not have any visible future at QB outside of the next 5th year transfer, whoever he may be. And that sucks. But that is because the man can't sell. I'm sorry if you guys are in such denial that you refuse to face that reality....
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:33 pm

IB thinks that Addazio needs to be better at recruiting. I don't disagree.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:32 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:IB thinks that Addazio needs to be better at recruiting. I don't disagree.

ib also thinks that tobias was the pinnacle of recruiting. i don't agree
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:IB thinks that Addazio needs to be better at recruiting. I don't disagree.

I agree...with you.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:53 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

I agree...with you.

you sure you don't need to wait three years?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:36 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This. Day coached under TOB, Jags, Spaz and Daz... all of them were basically fired. Why the eff would you take the one guy whose tenure here overlapped the program's deterioration. If he is a real good guy who loves BC... great... hire him to replace Barry Gallup.

this reminded me. saw barry gallup on the sideline on saturday and was wondering, anyone have any idea what he does or what he has done to earn a lifetime contract at bc?

They moved Gallup off of Football Ops when Daz took over. Now his primary deal is networking with the Football Alumni for fundraising purposes.

That's just a cover for his real job - leaking information to gumshoes.

For the gumshoes, Barry Gallup Sr was the head football coach at my alma mater when I was attending....
Last edited by innocentbystander on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:39 pm

No, not the pinnacle. :toby was just one of the best (if not THE best) recruiting head coach for BC football since any of us have been interested in the team (no disrespect to a certain Superbowl winning coach....)

By the by tre, I agree with you that Addazio is in "just cashing a check" mode. No debate there.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:26 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:By the by tre, I agree with you that Addazio is in "just cashing a check" mode. No debate there.

I disagree...with you. I think that Addazio is giving it everything he has. Unfortunately, what you see is all he has.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:39 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:By the by tre, I agree with you that Addazio is in "just cashing a check" mode. No debate there.

I disagree...with you. I think that Addazio is giving it everything he has. Unfortunately, what you see is all he has.

Agreed. He's also a much better recruiter than TOBY. he just can't coach. Needs to let others do it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Agreed. He's also a much better recruiter than TOBY. he just can't coach. Needs to let others do it.

This is kinda what I never understand. If you can hire great assistants, you can be an awesome coach by riding their coattails. Daz actually could be a good long-term coach if he was smart enough to realize this. Stick to recruiting, giving speeches and dealing with the media. Let Paul P deal with gameday strategy, let Loeffler call the O and let Reid just do his thing on D. If Daz wants to insert himself into coaching... stick to something like OL or Special Teams. Not for nothing, but Jags basically took this approach and was crazy successful. Daz could actually be better as he is a better recruiter. Ultimately... it may be getting too late for him. He needs to win 6 games to start creating momentum. If he wins 5 or less, he just spends last season on a Spaz-like death watch.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:15 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This is kinda what I never understand. If you can hire great assistants, you can be an awesome coach by riding their coattails. Daz actually could be a good long-term coach if he was smart enough to realize this. Stick to recruiting, giving speeches and dealing with the media.

Daz does do somethings well. "Dealing with the media" is not one of these things.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:23 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This is kinda what I never understand. If you can hire great assistants, you can be an awesome coach by riding their coattails. Daz actually could be a good long-term coach if he was smart enough to realize this. Stick to recruiting, giving speeches and dealing with the media.

Daz does do somethings well. "Dealing with the media" is not one of these things.

He's okay with some media. Mean Gene Okerlund for example

Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:25 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Disagree. He might have been surly in a lot of post-game pressers, but he has done a good job at shit like the ESPN car washes and ACC media days.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:55 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Daz is great with the media. We just are tired of his shtick, but we are the only 8 people paying that close attention other than Brad Bates and his wife.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:01 am

HJS hit the nail on the head. Daz should have his "philosophy" of aggressive blitzing D and dominant line/power run/play action passing on O, and then hire the people that he thinks can make the calls. Then use Pasqualoni as his Bernie Fine (without the molestation allegations) to make the tough game time strategy calls, like clock management. The rest of the time, he can pick grass, yell at refs, recruit, go to ESPN, do press conferences, give talks and turn whalepants pockets inside out, rah rah in the locker room and hand out game balls.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:HJS hit the nail on the head. Daz should have his "philosophy" of aggressive blitzing D and dominant line/power run/play action passing on O, and then hire the people that he thinks can make the calls. Then use Pasqualoni as his Bernie Fine (without the molestation allegations) to make the tough game time strategy calls, like clock management. The rest of the time, he can pick grass, yell at refs, recruit, go to ESPN, do press conferences, give talks and turn whalepants pockets inside out, rah rah in the locker room and hand out game balls.

he has that pesky ego that keeps getting in the way, though. i don't see that going away anytime soon (read: ever)

that's the challenge the thin-skinners have to face. they think they are god's gift to the world and take any criticism as a PERSONAL ATTACK and spiral down the drain of frustration until becoming completely ineffective
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:31 am

that's the challenge the thin-skinners have to face. they think they are god's gift to the world and take any criticism as a PERSONAL ATTACK and spiral down the drain of frustration until becoming completely ineffective

:popcorn
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:39 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:HJS hit the nail on the head. Daz should have his "philosophy" of aggressive blitzing D and dominant line/power run/play action passing on O, and then hire the people that he thinks can make the calls. Then use Pasqualoni as his Bernie Fine (without the molestation allegations) to make the tough game time strategy calls, like clock management. The rest of the time, he can pick grass, yell at refs, recruit, go to ESPN, do press conferences, give talks and turn whalepants pockets inside out, rah rah in the locker room and hand out game balls.

I agree with this, but I don't think Paul P is good at the Fine role. Probably better than Addazio, but still sub par.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:24 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I agree with this, but I don't think Paul P is good at the Fine role. Probably better than Addazio, but still sub par.

Fair. That said, when Daz clearly deferred to him against UMass, he usually made the right call. Should have done it more.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:55 am

he has that pesky ego that keeps getting in the way, though. i don't see that going away anytime soon (read: ever)

I'm not sure if it is a pesky ego. I think it might be intelligence... not realizing that considered delegation is a form of management.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:57 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Fair. That said, when Daz clearly deferred to him against UMass, he usually made the right call. Should have done it more.

I think Paul P is fine as consiglieri. Is he perfect? No. But, I'm not going to make perfect the enemy of the good.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I'm not sure if it is a pesky ego. I think it might be intelligence... not realizing that considered delegation is a form of management.

Whether it's intelligence or PRIDE, it's a shame that he wont make the small adjustments necessary for the team to succeed. I really think he's done a good job with recruiting after the dumpster fire tenure of Spaziani as well as with hiring coaches. All the pieces are here... he just needs to get out of his own way and we will be successful.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:16 am

Ummmm, kicker is one of the pieces, Hansen.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:14 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:... you could make a case that Burton wanting to de-commit was because he was not technically BC's "first option".

I'm not buying this spin. Holy shit.

If you think Perry can play QB in the ACC you are out of your freaking mind.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/sto ... irst-start
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:54 am

Appreciate being able to revisit my original post.

I bowed out in 2016 and this reminded me why.....three years plus later, and 7 years into his tenure, and Addazio is still trying to cobble together a complete team. Maybe this year he got an offense he always wanted, but, oops, he forgot football is a two way sport, and he completely neglected the defensive side of the game...oops, the starting QB gets hurt, oh geez, there goes that plan....I don't know what happens from this point on this season, other than I expect very little consistency.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm

I don't understand hjs burton agenda
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:48 pm

I don’t get it either. But I love his remarks in the post on the top of this page....about how awful Ryan Day would be.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium