Quarterback/offensive (sic) future plan

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Quarterback/offensive (sic) future plan

Postby eagletx on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:20 am

So, let's assume that Towle remains healthy, and in all likelihood, no game is a blowout allowing for Wade to get significant playing time.
I don't know or recall if Wade gets a redshirt for last year; in any event he is listed as a redshirt sophomore on this year's roster.

So next year, presumably, it becomes a QB trial between Wade and Brown. If Brown, we start from scratch again.

I'm still trying to figure out whether we will ever get a two year starting job at QB, and as a correllary to that, whether we will ever run a consistent offensive scheme for more than a year or two at a time.

Seems to me, most good coaches have a system, recruit to their system, and develop consistency over time. It's referred to as their "program".

After this year, a full four years into it, it seems that Addazio is still in the mode of throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks, offensively.

Yeah, I know, he has to rent players to fill the gaps because blah, blah, blah.....

My biggest issue with Addazio beyond his glaring in-game mismanagement issues is that I still can't discern what his cornerstone philosophy is, and whether he is making any progress forward from that point of view. Simply, if you don't know what the hell he is trying to do, how the hell can you judge how well he is doing it?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Re: Quarterback/offensive (sic) future plan

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:28 am

his philosophy is that he's going to cash a paycheck that is much larger than he deserves for as long as he can, much like his boss and his football predecessor.

whatever sarge does from a "program" perspective he does for his own best interests. as dumb as he is, i think he is still smart enough to realize that he doesn't belong in the top job of a p5 school and as a result will throw whatever he has to under a nearby bus to retain what he's got.

he hasn't lowered himself to taking an old-man swing at his less than talented coordinators, so we have that going for us. he does consistently ignore them and force his own agenda, clearly
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:33 am

His philosophy is that he's the smartest guy in the room and to respond with some variation of "Have you ever coached football before?" whenever someone challenges him.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 am

2016: Towles (GS), Wade (RS-Soph)
2017: Wade (Junior), Brown (RS-Fresh)
2018: Wade (Senior), Brown (Soph)
2019: Brown (Junior), ???
2020: Brown (Senior),???

Of course, this is ideal case, but it does seem like Towles is a bridge to when Wade will be fully ready.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:45 am

wade seems to be the only person in the program that needs longer to get ready than slaughter himself.

he's basically the dennis clifford of the football team. i hope wade also enjoys eating dinner with the team
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:51 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:wade seems to be the only person in the program that needs longer to get ready than slaughter himself.

he's basically the dennis clifford of the football team. i hope wade also enjoys eating dinner with the team

Dennis Clifford's career conference loss total is a record that has less chance of being surpassed in our lifetimes than Cal Ripken's streak. Wade, however, does have an outside chance at accumulating a worse conference game winning percentage, although Addazio's replacement will probably be competent enough to preclude the possibility.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:12 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:2016: Towles (GS), Wade (RS-Soph)
2017: Wade (Junior), Brown (RS-Fresh), Perry (TFr)
2018: Wade (Senior), Brown (Soph), Perry (RSFr)
2019: Brown (Junior), Perry (SO), ????
2020: Brown (Senior). Perry (JR), ????

Of course, this is ideal case, but it does seem like Towles is a bridge to when Wade will be fully ready.

Wade did get a RS year so he has 2 years of eligibility after '16 (Addazio said he wouldn't play Wade just to develop him this season which is just stupid, get the guy some snaps for next year when games are out of hand i.e. Saturday). My personal opinion was that Wade was the kind of guy that he wanted, it was his first legit QB commit ("stuck" with Rettig, Murphy was whatever to fill a year). I think Wade and Brown both have similar skill sets, pocket passers who are mobile. Towles fits that mold too (to that point the kid that is at Temple this year (and last) was recruited by Addazio and fits that mold as well).

The system is run first, which is why I cant seem to understand his recruiting philosophy at RB (taking none last year after the attrition, only 1 this year so far). But I think what you're going to get is what you saw out of Rettig year 1 and Towles this year so far, heavy run to set up play action. I think his game management issues are fair to criticize, but there at least is a pattern of the type of QB he has recruited (with excpetion of '15 taking Smith and Robinson which Ill never understand, not that a QB more in the mold would have changed last year as a TFr, just that it deviated from what it appears he is trying to do because (I'm guessing) of the success of Murphy)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:27 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Wade did get a RS year so he has 2 years of eligibility after '16 (Addazio said he wouldn't play Wade just to develop him this season which is just stupid, get the guy some snaps for next year when games are out of hand i.e. Saturday). My personal opinion was that Wade was the kind of guy that he wanted, it was his first legit QB commit ("stuck" with Rettig, Murphy was whatever to fill a year). I think Wade and Brown both have similar skill sets, pocket passers who are mobile. Towles fits that mold too (to that point the kid that is at Temple this year (and last) was recruited by Addazio and fits that mold as well).

The system is run first, which is why I cant seem to understand his recruiting philosophy at RB (taking none last year after the attrition, only 1 this year so far). But I think what you're going to get is what you saw out of Rettig year 1 and Towles this year so far, heavy run to set up play action. I think his game management issues are fair to criticize, but there at least is a pattern of the type of QB he has recruited (with excpetion of '15 taking Smith and Robinson which Ill never understand, not that a QB more in the mold would have changed last year as a TFr, just that it deviated from what it appears he is trying to do because (I'm guessing) of the success of Murphy)

I thought you shirtless boys weirdos were saying the 2018 QB crop looks promising. A good 2018 recruit will challenge Perry when that time comes. It's taken a few years considering how bad Spaz left the QB situtation, but the QB roster is starting to look the way it should look.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:07 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

I thought you shirtless boys weirdos were saying the 2018 QB crop looks promising. A good 2018 recruit will challenge Perry when that time comes. It's taken a few years considering how bad Spaz left the QB situtation, but the QB roster is starting to look the way it should look.

That is true, assuming Addazio can land one, but their is good depth and guys that seem to have decent interest at this point. I believe that TOS wrote about how high they were on Perry after camp this year and you could make a case that Burton wanting to de-commit was because he was not technically BC's "first option". If BC is able to land a big name for '18, Perry has enough athleticism and size where its not crazy to think he could flip to another position (possibly safety), either immediately or down the road, which would then create a situation similar to what we are seeing now, where, if everything goes to plan, Brown would go into his RSJR year with the 2018 QB being a RSFR and potentially lining up to take over for Brown as a junior. If BC lands a relatively big name QB in '18, and Perry sticks at the position, you simply create more depth by Browns junior year (2019), with Brown (RSJR), Perry (RSSO) and whoever they land in '18 as a RSFR. Remember, its not like Perry is some big time recruit with options to play elsewhere, if in the end he just becomes decent QB depth, then so be it, but its dependent on Addazio/Loeffler getting someone in 2018. With all that being said, its a long way away so who the hell knows if any of the current staff will still be employed or if any of that will come to fruition.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:35 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:... you could make a case that Burton wanting to de-commit was because he was not technically BC's "first option".

I'm not buying this spin. Holy shit.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:... you could make a case that Burton wanting to de-commit was because he was not technically BC's "first option".

I'm not buying this spin. Holy shit.

If you think Perry can play QB in the ACC you are out of your freaking mind.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:44 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:So, let's assume that Towle remains healthy, and in all likelihood, no game is a blowout allowing for Wade to get significant playing time.
I don't know or recall if Wade gets a redshirt for last year; in any event he is listed as a redshirt sophomore on this year's roster.

So next year, presumably, it becomes a QB trial between Wade and Brown. If Brown, we start from scratch again.

I'm still trying to figure out whether we will ever get a two year starting job at QB, and as a correllary to that, whether we will ever run a consistent offensive scheme for more than a year or two at a time.

Seems to me, most good coaches have a system, recruit to their system, and develop consistency over time. It's referred to as their "program".

After this year, a full four years into it, it seems that Addazio is still in the mode of throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks, offensively.

:shrug Well... duh. He hasn't recruited a QB in 4 years. So of course, he is still throwing spaghetti. Being a HC at the power-5 level (and at the BCS level before it) is a sales job. Addazio can't close, he can't sell.

:toby gave us William Green and a few others, but it was that recruiting class from 2003 that made him the winningest football coach in BC history. At this level, you simply have to recruit. Or... you lose. Its that simple.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:52 am

hey huang, nospace's posts really suck and i'd like them to be notated in a certain way that allows me to know well in advance that a crappy nospace post is coming.

can you change his signature again and get rid of his stupid feminism drivel to return it to the picture of nospace at the nascar race?

thanks in advance.

your pal,

tanner boyle
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:47 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hey huang, nospace's posts really suck and i'd like them to be notated in a certain way that allows me to know well in advance that a crappy nospace post is coming.

can you change his signature again and get rid of his stupid feminism drivel to return it to the picture of nospace at the nascar race?

thanks in advance.

your pal,

tanner boyle

Well...I'd like to. You see, Mr. Road, while I agree that Mr. Betardo's posts suck and his opinions often border on...lunacy, I am hesitant to change his signature for fear that I will be labeled a...tyrant. I'm not saying that I won't do it, but I'd like some feedback from other people before...making a change.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:48 am

spoken like the true follower that you are... when did you move into his garage, monroe?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:10 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:spoken like the true follower that you are... when did you move into his garage, monroe?

When I took...the red pill.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby William S on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:12 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hey huang, nospace's posts really suck and i'd like them to be notated in a certain way that allows me to know well in advance that a crappy nospace post is coming.

thanks in advance.

your pal,

tanner boyle

Well...I'd like to. You see, Mr. Road, while I agree that Mr. Betardo's posts suck and his opinions often border on...lunacy, I am hesitant to change his signature for fear that I will be labeled a...tyrant. I'm not saying that I won't do it, but I'd like some feedback from other people before...making a change.

I think this is a reasonable request. Innocentbystander's posts are like a toxic spill threatening to poison us all. With other toxic products the manufacturers and suppliers are required to label it as such. I think this is a similar situation.
William S
n00b

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:16 am

Reading InnocentBystander's posts is ... punishment enough.

Don't punish us more with the picture of the fat man.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:19 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Reading InnocentBystander's posts is ... punishment enough.

Do you like human pyramids?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:22 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Reading InnocentBystander's posts is ... punishment enough.

Do you like billiards?

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Do you like billiards?

BRINGIN' TEH FUNISHMENT!!!
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 am

Many people smoke while they play billiards

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

thanks in advance.

your pal,

tanner boyle

Only Frank Spaziani has been quoted as saying things stupider than Betardo on this website. Spaz has smilies dedicated to him :spaz2 :spaz3 so I think it's only fair that Innocentbystander also have a fitting caricature of his lifestyle as an accompaniment to his horrific posts.
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby 0J1969 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:35 am

I have an emoticon of a klansman named after me because some fat, bald man incorrectly remembered me saying something racist. :oj

I think it's only fair that Innocentbystander also have a likeness of him included with his posts. After all, he is a well-documented fat man. I challenge any of you to search any website I've ever posted on and find me saying something racist.
0J1969
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:41 am

this thread reminded me that funishment's avatar is still improperly linking him to the best basketball coach we've had this century. if you have the power to change avatars similar to your power to change signatures, can you adjust funishment's avatar?

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby CorporalFunishment on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:52 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:this thread reminded me that funishment's avatar is still improperly linking him to the best basketball coach we've had this century. if you have the power to change avatars similar to your power to change signatures, can you adjust funishment's avatar?

That's not fair. I was the one who won the Olivier Hanlan bet. Why should I get one of your homophobic fantasy pictures as my avatar?
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
CorporalFunishment
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:59 am

CorporalFunishment {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:this thread reminded me that funishment's avatar is still improperly linking him to the best basketball coach we've had this century. if you have the power to change avatars similar to your power to change signatures, can you adjust funishment's avatar?

That's not fair. I was the one who won the Olivier Hanlan bet. Why should I get one of your homophobic fantasy pictures as my avatar?

this doesn't work if the golden names don't change the real oral fun as well. n00b
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:19 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:So, let's assume that Towle remains healthy, and in all likelihood, no game is a blowout allowing for Wade to get significant playing time.

:shrug Well... duh. He hasn't recruited a QB in 4 years. So of course, he is still throwing spaghetti. Being a HC at the power-5 level (and at the BCS level before it) is a sales job. Addazio can't close, he can't sell.

:toby gave us William Green and a few others, but it was that recruiting class from 2003 that made him the winningest football coach in BC history. At this level, you simply have to recruit. Or... you lose. Its that simple.

I can't believe I have to defend Daz, but IB's whacked out revisionist history calls for it.

Your fabled 2003 recruiting class had the ultimate example of throwing $hit against the wall in Paul Peterson. The staff was very uncertain about Porter, so they brought in the utlra rare JUCO prospect.

As for TOB the closer, we went with Matt Ryan in that class only after TOB couldn't close on Brady Quinn.

If Addazio needs to bring in a fifth year every year, who cares. Finding and developing college QBs is hard. His job is to get the best team on the field.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:43 am

wait - is this the first step to a "ryan day hc/sgt slaughter oc" agenda for you?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:59 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:wait - is this the first step to a "ryan day hc/sgt slaughter oc" agenda for you?

Ha. If Day wanted Daz as his OC, I wouldn't want him as coach.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium