2017 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Fuck Brad Bates
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:24 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Fuck Brad Bates

ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:41 am

BC should look at Tulane's process of AD hiring and coaching changes that just took place and try to replicate it. Troy Dannen has been a solid hire for them and has been given free reign by the administration to improve athletics. Maybe that is where BC and Tulane differ.

That blueprint means Bates out first (Any time now!) and Dazzler our after next season. Christian out too next year if he doesn't improve tremendously this coming season.

The sad thing is that BC is closer to Tulane in all aspects than ever. However, in terms of committing resources and overall valuing athletics, Tulane may already have BC beat.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:00 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Would you rather have a retread like Golden, Schiano, or Marrone, or first time head coach? Since we just hired a MAC coach, I don't see us going down the path of a mid major guy when we replace Daz.

I'd take a retread in a heartbeat. Both Marrone and Schiano left for better gigs in the NFL. I couldn't care less if they flamed out in that atmosphere. They have both won at programs that are as bad as BC and would come with a roadmap as to how right the ship. If we are going the first-time-head-coach (again), the only universe of coaches I'd explore are current or former NFL coordinators.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Would you rather have a retread like Golden, Schiano, or Marrone, or first time head coach? Since we just hired a MAC coach, I don't see us going down the path of a mid major guy when we replace Daz.

I'd take a retread in a heartbeat. Both Marrone and Schiano left for better gigs in the NFL. I couldn't care less if they flamed out in that atmosphere. They have both won at programs that are as bad as BC and would come with a roadmap as to how right the ship. If we are going the first-time-head-coach (again), the only universe of coaches I'd explore are current or former NFL coordinators.

Is Dan henning still alive?
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:Is Dan henning still alive?

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/twen ... er/2262989

On that point, BC has failed on most fronts at this point: tried NFL assistants (TC, Henning, Jags), long-time assistant getting first time head coaching gig (TOB, Jags, Spaz) and poaching a mid-major head coach (Daz). What we haven't tried is a retread or poaching a top head coach. Since the second will never happen, I'm all-in on the first.

As for Golden, I have him solidly behind Schiano and Marrone, but I'd still take him over terrible ideas like Day. Can't ever go wrong hiring someone from the Jersey Shore.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ts-new-gig
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:48 am

Brad Bates was hired October 9, 2012.

Does his contract end tomorrow? Please say yes.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:25 am

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:Brad Bates was hired October 9, 2012.

Does his contract end tomorrow? Please say yes.

5 year deal. I believe it ends this Summer.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:38 pm

If they make a change, whoever they hire has to figure out a way to sell tickets. You have to figure that either through cuts or additional revenue or a combination of both the annual deficit will be his charge to eliminate. The non ACC revenues are trending down. With ND flailing this year they might not be the draw to get people to buy season tickets next year.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:If they make a change, whoever they hire has to figure out a way to sell tickets. You have to figure that either through cuts or additional revenue or a combination of both the annual deficit will be his charge to eliminate. The non ACC revenues are trending down. With ND flailing this year they might not be the draw to get people to buy season tickets next year.

Wild Idea: Invest in the football program.

Good football = more tickets sold.

This isn't complicated. There's no magical administrative/marketing formula that's going to convince people to come out and watch this colostomy bag of a program.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:22 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:If they make a change, whoever they hire has to figure out a way to sell tickets. You have to figure that either through cuts or additional revenue or a combination of both the annual deficit will be his charge to eliminate. The non ACC revenues are trending down. With ND flailing this year they might not be the draw to get people to buy season tickets next year.

Wild Idea: Invest in the football program.

Good football = more tickets sold.

This isn't complicated. There's no magical administrative/marketing formula that's going to convince people to come out and watch this colostomy bag of a program.

Exactly, even outside of investing in facilities which is more LT, investing in an above average coach will have that effect before the team even gets on the field and improves (Miami saw a 7k bump in season tickets, 36k sold in total, per an early August article solely based around the hiring of Mark Richt).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:50 pm

So, who is that coach that will immediately sell tickets that actually wants to come to BC and that BC/Leahy will actually hire? I agree that BC needs a really good coach to compete in the ACC, not just a good coach. Aside from the IPF with the new weight room and outdoor practice fields, what practice facilities or football facilities does BC not have? I think the IPF has become a big issue in recruiting WB's and WR's.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:39 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:So, who is that coach that will immediately sell tickets that actually wants to come to BC and that BC/Leahy will actually hire? I agree that BC needs a really good coach to compete in the ACC, not just a good coach. Aside from the IPF with the new weight room and outdoor practice fields, what practice facilities or football facilities does BC not have? I think the IPF has become a big issue in recruiting WB's and WR's.

True Story: BC can get a name coach that would provide instant credibility if they were willing to pony up the cash (north of $3 million plus competitive salary for a staff, something that doesn't get talked about enough) and demonstrate they're committed to competing at the top level through administrative support and shovel ready facilities improvements to bring this program into the 21st century.

Again, this isn't rocket science...you're getting what you pay for. Do it on the cheap the way BC has for 2 decades and these are the results in this new age of college football. Provide the cash and the infrastructure and you can get the right coach to build a successful program.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:03 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:So, who is that coach that will immediately sell tickets that actually wants to come to BC and that BC/Leahy will actually hire? I agree that BC needs a really good coach to compete in the ACC, not just a good coach. Aside from the IPF with the new weight room and outdoor practice fields, what practice facilities or football facilities does BC not have? I think the IPF has become a big issue in recruiting WB's and WR's.

True Story: BC can get a name coach that would provide instant credibility if they were willing to pony up the cash (north of $3 million plus competitive salary for a staff, something that doesn't get talked about enough) and demonstrate they're committed to competing at the top level through administrative support and shovel ready facilities improvements to bring this program into the 21st century.

Again, this isn't rocket science...you're getting what you pay for. Do it on the cheap the way BC has for 2 decades and these are the results in this new age of college football. Provide the cash and the infrastructure and you can get the right coach to build a successful program.

Aren't we paying Daz significantly more than previous coaches. And considering the hits, I don't think we're skimping on assistants either.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:01 am

[quote=dtwalrus]
Aren't we paying Daz significantly more than previous coaches. And considering the hits, I don't think we're skimping on assistants either.[/quote]
Yes on both accounts. After Year 2, Bates bumped Dazoo to the then-average ACC salary. This was because (a) he had 2 legitimately good seasons with Spaz talent, (b) there was an imagined fear that Michigan would poach and (c) Bates maybe physically scared of Sgt Slaughter.

I've said this before, but our assistants are excellent. The problem as I see it is Daziani infusing himself into their work. He'd be much better off pulling a TOB/Jags and letting people who know how to coach do their job. You can tell from his pressers that he meddles in everything involving the program. And, since he is actually an idiot, that ain't a good thing.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:08 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Aren't we paying Daz significantly more than previous coaches. And considering the hits, I don't think we're skimping on assistants either.

Yes on both accounts. After Year 2, Bates bumped Dazoo to the then-average ACC salary. This was because (a) he had 2 legitimately good seasons with Spaz talent, (b) there was an imagined fear that Michigan would poach and (c) Bates maybe physically scared of Sgt Slaughter.

I've said this before, but our assistants are excellent. The problem as I see it is Daziani infusing himself into their work. He'd be much better off pulling a TOB/Jags and letting people who know how to coach do their job. You can tell from his pressers that he meddles in everything involving the program. And, since he is actually an idiot, that ain't a good thing.

i expect this sort of quote fuck up from hansen but dammit mo'j, you're usually better than this.

on topic, i don't know that i'd call either coordinator "excellent." i think you could say that they are better than their job than the sarge is, but that's not saying a whole lot either.

on new topic - how did rutgres do on 3rd down donnie brown on saturday?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:09 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Kentucky is paying Mark Stoops 3.4 Million a year. Now they are F'd because they can't fire him since the buyout is huge. It's rarely as simple as back up a dump truck of cash. The right person needs to be evaluating the candidate.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:26 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Aside from the IPF with the new weight room and outdoor practice fields, what practice facilities or football facilities does BC not have?

I don't understand this statement. You're basically naming everything they don't have (that's nationally competitive) and then questioning what they do or do not have ? As If to say those amenities are all their missing and their not that far away ? All of those things are missing/subpar and all of those things are what will continue to hurt recruiting in the ST and LT and stop BC from getting a competitive coach. Who's to say that if BC finally decides to pay over average price for a coach, that anyone will want to come here with the infrastructure in place.

These are the problems you're going to run into with 20-30 years of complete mismanagement of the facilities, a need to do everything at once and the associated cost.

As for the AD thing, I agree with ATL, I think it's as simple as hiring the guy from VCU if only from a positive fundraising standpoint since he's an alum. If he can increase fundraising and open up the coffers to competitively pay, it lessens his "lack of selecting a FB coach experience" issue that many will point to.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:28 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Aside from the IPF with the new weight room and outdoor practice fields, what practice facilities or football facilities does BC not have?

I don't understand this statement. You're basically naming everything they don't have (that's nationally competitive) and then questioning what they do or do not have ? As If to say those amenities are all their missing and their not that far away ? All of those things are missing/subpar and all of those things are what will continue to hurt recruiting in the ST and LT and stop BC from getting a competitive coach. Who's to say that if BC finally decides to pay over average price for a coach, that anyone will want to come here with the infrastructure in place.

These are the problems you're going to run into with 20-30 years of complete mismanagement of the facilities, a need to do everything at once and the associated cost.

As for the AD thing, I agree with ATL, I think it's as simple as hiring the guy from VCU if only from a positive fundraising standpoint since he's an alum. If he can increase fundraising and open up the coffers to competitively pay, it lessens his "lack of selecting a FB coach experience" issue that many will point to.

I think the facilities management is actually only about a decade in the making.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:11 am

My question is once the IPF is built, what is really left to build facilities wise for attracting recruits? When I talk about the stadium renovations it's to attract more fans and generate more revenue. I think it will also help in attracting recruits.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:34 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:My question is once the IPF is built, what is really left to build facilities wise for attracting recruits? When I talk about the stadium renovations it's to attract more fans and generate more revenue. I think it will also help in attracting recruits.

you've said before that if we don't build corners, we'll lose recruits. other than that, you are spot on
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:41 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:My question is once the IPF is built, what is really left to build facilities wise for attracting recruits? When I talk about the stadium renovations it's to attract more fans and generate more revenue. I think it will also help in attracting recruits.

you've said before that if we don't build corners, we'll lose recruits. other than that, you are spot on

Yawkey is outdated. The locker room is small. The weight room is small. The training area is small. If you're talking about all of those things being rolled into a new practice facility and converting Yawkey into more of a coaches office/meeting room/student support area/recruiting area, then fine, there isnt anything else that BC will realistically need to at least be on par with most programs they are recruiting against.

Recruits wont care about stadium renovations and fans will show up when the thing starts winning, bottom line. People arent showing up and revenue wont be generated if the product is still shit. As a season ticket holder who goes every week, i'd love to get some more amenities from Alumni (the biggest change ive seen has been cushions on the benches), but its so far down on the list of things that need to happen first that its not even worth mentioning right now (even something as simple as chairback seating yet alone the corners/suite nonsense you subject us to multiple times per week).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:59 pm

I think the biggest problem with a decade of irrelevance is that you now have 10 years worth of nerds with little affection for BC football. How is the AD going to compensate for that especially when the whalepants die off each year? Combine this with a general apathy nationwide of people attending games (seen even at the biggest schools) in favor of watching it on HDTV. I don't see this being an easy fix for the next AD.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:52 pm

That's right Hansen, when the ball is rolling downhill it is tough to stop. it's tough to attract new customers, but a really good coach can get people back into the seats.

How fucking tough is it to build a fucking weight room and a training room! I thought they were doing just that in the new IPF?

The stadium does need upgrading to provide a better game day experience. With the continued loss of on campus tailgating spaces, club seats would be a smart investment. The upper deck over the Beacon St garage is 50% empty most games. It's a prime seating location and the current seats are not generating enough revenue. It's the perfect time to build new, retain your older fans and attract new fans. If BC had a nice club section, I would have actually gone to the Buffalo game. Make the stadium and game day experience more of an event than just a football game. At least you could get a beer in the club seats!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:23 pm

The stadium is fine, sans DBS (which will never go away). The only real improvements that need to be made are minor cosmetic things and an upgrade to the overall gameday experience (tailgating). If they did that, they'd be in good shape, even with a smaller stadium.

The big thing is and will continue to be the archaic facilities and the halfassed commitment to the sport that worked fine until gigantic TV contracts begat the facilities arms race. BC has always been notoriously slow to adapt to the changing landscape of college sports, but it's been magnified in this case.

Once that's done, you'll have a much better lot to choose from as far as a new coach is concerned. Backing up the Brinks truck doesn't guarantee you anything, but your odds of landing a difference maker are much higher. The Kentucky example is obviously a concern, but it should be noted that Stoops was considered an absolute slam dunk at the time he was hired. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. I'd rather BC swing for the fences and miss then hire some re-tread like Day who is practically guaranteed to fail.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:15 am

dbs wasn't a problem when the team was good

the parking situation is a complete disaster and bates hasn't done a thing about it. it's completely mispriced and the 3 hours of tailgating is such :clownshoes . if bc can't convince the brighton idiots that forcing people to line up like cattle only makes traffic worse, they're bigger morons than i thought

also, bring bathrooms to the upper deck :piss
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:33 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:dbs wasn't a problem when the team was good

the parking situation is a complete disaster and bates hasn't done a thing about it. it's completely mispriced and the 3 hours of tailgating is such :clownshoes . if bc can't convince the brighton idiots that forcing people to line up like cattle only makes traffic worse, they're bigger morons than i thought

also, bring bathrooms to the upper deck so the EO coaching staff can gloryhole closer than the 5th floor of oneill Image

fixed
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:58 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:the 3 hours of tailgating is such :clownshoes

Especially when it's more like 2.5 hours after you get to your space and get all your stuff set up.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:13 am

Technically it only is 2.5 hours for the people who aren't driving on.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:43 pm

DBS is covered in your parking fee. They really are not making money on DBS, it's the parking fees that produce the revenue. DBS did force out the season ticket holders who were not buying parking spaces and the ones who only were willing to pay $1,000 or less for a space, basically thousands of season ticket holders were forced out.

The stadium needs luxury seating to bring in additional revenue and to increase season ticket sales. You can only charge so much for a metal bench seat with zero amenities. Every school is renovating or has renovated their stadiums to introduce club seats and additional luxury boxes. With coaches salaries getting upwards of 4 million per year for a decent coach plus 1 million for an OC or DC, you have to generate more revenue from the stadium. Fans are not going to pay $125 per seat for a metal bench. For $3,000 - $4,000 per year you would get 4 club seats and a parking pass in the garage. Because BC has a small stadium they need to generate more revenue per seat than Clemson or FSU.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium