2017 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:07 pm

I guess Trump heard our complaints! Trump to the rescue!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Yes, the seats behind the visitors bench up 8 rows now go to the visiting teams fans. When most season ticket holders give up half their seats and those seats go unsold, DBS gutted the fan base. The losing has of course added to it, but BC had a strong following of long time season ticket holders who had all of those seats. How many people are going to donate $1,000 per seat plus the ticket cost for season tickets unless BC gets to Duke/UNC level? Not many if any is the answer.

Looks like the Republicans' Tax Bill (which is supposed to help the rich, but somehow still winds up crushing me and anyone from a high tax state... where most of the wealthy live) will be putting an end to the whole DBS scam (by taking away the deductibility of "donations" that are linked to seats).

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/kbvvjx/how-the-ncaa-scams-taxpayers-for-welfare-money
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:40 am

LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:22 pm

He did a very good job at Army.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:59 am

Jarmond named as a candidate for USC job after swann stepped down
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:01 am

maybe a jarmond and meyer package deal.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:04 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:maybe a jarmond and meyer package deal.

package in Addazio and Jim Christian while you are at it
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Jarmond named as a candidate for USC job after swann stepped down

Don't think he would take it even if offered. East coast guy, tends to stay at places 6-7 years, etc.
If he can turn this BC ship around in the next 3-4 years, then you have to think he could have any job in the country he wants.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Jarmond named as a candidate for USC job after swann stepped down

Don't think he would take it even if offered. East coast guy, tends to stay at places 6-7 years, etc.
If he can turn this BC ship around in the next 3-4 years, then you have to think he could have any job in the country he wants.

Why wouldn't he take the shortcut?

USC is college royalty in football (dormant) and in the Olympic sports. Great recruiting area. Huge endowment. Great sport facilities. And most importantly hungry to recapture former football glory.

huge payday and all the elements to win big
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:24 am

If Jarmond gets offered the USC job, he should take it.

That said, I can't see USC offering the job to someone who hasn't made a football or men's basketball coaching hire.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:38 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:If Jarmond gets offered the USC job, he should take it.

That said, I can't see USC offering the job to someone who hasn't made a football or men's basketball coaching hire.

This. Although, if Jarmond is betting he can turn the BC ship around I could see him passing on USC with the thought that Gene Smith is pushing 65 and if he (Jarmond) can turn BC into a winner from a football and basketball perspective he'd be a leading candidate for the OSU job.

Also, USC is an absolute train wreck from an administration perspective. Even when they were winning big on the football field during the Mike Garrett/ Pete Carroll era things went very badly south for them from a cost and administrative perspective. They got worse under Hayden and Swann was essentially a caretaker because none of the actual pros they were interested inn hiring wanted the job.. The USC job is going to require a massive rebuild effort and given all the backstabbing and second guessing that goes on in Heritage Hall, it wouldn't be absolutely crazy for a relatively young guy who thinks he has a relatively easy path to a better-run, more cohesive athletic department to take a pass. The USC job has enormous potential and enormous resources, but has also been a bit of an AD killer the last decade.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:59 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:If Jarmond gets offered the USC job, he should take it.

This. Although, if Jarmond is betting he can turn the BC ship around I could see him passing on USC with the thought that Gene Smith is pushing 65 and if he (Jarmond) can turn BC into a winner from a football and basketball perspective he'd be a leading candidate for the OSU job.

Also, USC is an absolute train wreck from an administration perspective.

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am

usc is an ad killer because they keep hiring former players with no prior ad experience, going back to the garrett hire.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:02 am

mcmurphy reported usc has reached out to at least 6 current p5 ADs, no one has interest
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:34 am

What has Jarmond done? The football team hasn't been turned around or did I miss something? Oh, maybe because Game Day was there last year and qualifies as officially turning around a program.

The more likely hire is former USC assistant AD and current AD of Villanova, Mark Jackson, who was in his seat when they won 2 basketball championships.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:43 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:usc is an ad killer because they keep hiring former players with no prior ad experience, going back to the garrett hire.

claver {l Wrote}:mcmurphy reported usc has reached out to at least 6 current p5 ADs, no one has interest

I think the ADs job is (or should I say "WAS") primarily a "sales job." USC hiring former superstar players into that role, they figure that is probably easier for the AD to raise money for the athletic department from alumni who are big donors. Go to the nametag events, smile, shake hands, get people to write checks. Image is everything (or at least it used to be.)

Now, you actually have to actually scrutinize your head coaches and the assistants who do the "recruiting" (particularly the ones who coach/recruit the meaningless girl sports which offer schollies that would NOT exist were it not for Title IX feminist-empowering federal legislation) and who they offer their athletic scholarships (particularly at a school like USC.) This Operation Varsity Blues, Lynn Swann has publicly said that is NOT the reason he "resigned" but I think we all know that is :bullshit . This scandal has burned USC's athletic credibility. NFW did Lynn Swann ever even bother to look at who Laura Janke recommended to Donna for a girl's soccer scholarship slot at USC. He probably didn't even know who Laura Janke was or what her relationship was to Donna Heinel! Why would Swann have given a fuck which athletes Donna recommended to USC admissions (to get around their academic requirements) for girl's Crew or girl's scoccer scholarships? To Swann, there are only two sports that matter at these schools, football and men's basketball. That is where all the $$$$$ is raised. Girl's crew? :shrug Let Donna handle that shit and trust that she do it professionally. Girl's scholarship soccer? Meh. Give them all a juice box with their scholies.

The job is changed. You can't just be a former player that is good at raising money. You actually have to sniff out fraud among your subordinates because Title-IX and girl's meaningless scholarship sports have created a very obvious path for bribery and corruption. You need to raise money AND be an "internal affairs cop" to be the AD at USC. Who wants that?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:55 pm

I'm 100% in this camp. If you get offered the USC job you should take it.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:57 pm

USC is an incredible opportunity, but anyone who has ever met a USC booster knows that you’re as likely to be successful as you are to get a knife in your back
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:32 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:What has Jarmond done? The football team hasn't been turned around or did I miss something? Oh, maybe because Game Day was there last year and qualifies as officially turning around a program.

The more likely hire is former USC assistant AD and current AD of Villanova, Mark Jackson, who was in his seat when they won 2 basketball championships.

No football school is hiring the AD of a school with no FCS football.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 am

if anyone would like to submit ideas:

@ArashMarkazi
USC president Carol L. Folt is asking the public to "share your thoughts and recommendations" on who should be USC's next athletic director to adsearch@usc.edu. I'd love to read the responses in that inbox.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:52 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:if anyone would like to submit ideas:

@ArashMarkazi
USC president Carol L. Folt is asking the public to "share your thoughts and recommendations" on who should be USC's next athletic director to adsearch@usc.edu. I'd love to read the responses in that inbox.

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:15 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:What has Jarmond done? The football team hasn't been turned around or did I miss something? Oh, maybe because Game Day was there last year and qualifies as officially turning around a program.

Seeing that he held the AD of the Football program at USC prior to taking the Nova job, I think that mitigates this issue.

Anyway, let them take Jarmond and BC should then hire Jackson, he is a local guy.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Seeing that he held the AD of the Football program at USC prior to taking the Nova job, I think that mitigates this issue.

Anyway, let them take Jarmond and BC should then hire Jackson, he is a local guy.

Being AD at USC is not a plus, Pat Hayden.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:32 am

looks like the natti light ad is going to be the next ad at usc
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:25 pm

Jarmond didn’t get the job and he wasn’t qualified for the job.

I just tweeted the AD at Bama to try and schedule a football series. I told the Bama guy to get in touch with @martinjarmond. :popcorn :flagus 8-)
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:36 pm

We were completely screwed when Leahy forced Gladchuk out. Chet had all of the plans in place to build the athletic facilities back in the 90’s. Leahy was completely opposed to any investment in athletics at that time. Gladchuk has a stellar record of achievement at Navy and holds a high level committee position with the NCAA. Meanwhile, Leahy continues to cycle through AD’s, pathetic.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:36 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:We were completely screwed when Leahy forced Gladchuk out. Chet had all of the plans in place to build the athletic facilities back in the 90’s. Leahy was completely opposed to any investment in athletics at that time. Gladchuk has a stellar record of achievement at Navy and holds a high level committee position with the NCAA. Meanwhile, Leahy continues to cycle through AD’s, pathetic.

Go Eagles!

Chet pissed off a ton of donors. No way would he have gotten things built.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:26 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:Jarmond didn’t get the job and he wasn’t qualified for the job.

I just tweeted the AD at Bama to try and schedule a football series. I told the Bama guy to get in touch with @martinjarmond. :popcorn :flagus 8-)

Nice try SD but they went with FSU instead.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:53 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:Jarmond didn’t get the job and he wasn’t qualified for the job.

Nice try SD but they went with FSU instead.

Alabama vs BC seems like a perfect situation for them. Guaranteed win against a respectable power 5 program.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

2020 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Fri May 15, 2020 12:31 pm

I figured I would rekindle this thread. Interesting that the last time this thread was bumped, it was because USC was looking at Marty. As often the case, UCLA looks happy to take USC's leftovers.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium