2017 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Athletic Director Candidates Thread

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Paul Brazeau BC grad and Associate ACC commissioner actively seeking the BC AD job. He could be a good fit for BC.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Paul Brazeau BC grad and Associate ACC commissioner actively seeking the BC AD job. He could be a good fit for BC.

How can a senile, rambling half-wit like you claim to know anything.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:04 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Paul Brazeau BC grad and Associate ACC commissioner actively seeking the BC AD job. He could be a good fit for BC.

How can a senile, rambling half-wit like you claim to know anything.

When I lived in Hartford, I had a roommate who was an assistant for Coach Brazeau. He's a good guy... loves BC. He's a Christian-like basketball coach. Seriously, doubt they would look in that direction. That said, no one knows what the hell is inside Bill's mind.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Do not expect a quick search. I was just told that the plan is to have the search firm gather up a large pool of candidates. Supposedly Leahy thinks they narrowed the search too soon the last time. He only met with the finalists. This time everyone interested will meet with Leahy and the members of the search committee, assuming they are available. That means at least two rounds of interviews. The time table is to have someone in place by June.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:46 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:Do not expect a quick search. I was just told that the plan is to have the search firm gather up a large pool of candidates. Supposedly Leahy thinks they narrowed the search too soon the last time. He only met with the finalists. This time everyone interested will meet with Leahy and the members of the search committee, assuming they are available. That means at least two rounds of interviews. The time table is to have someone in place by June.

My belief is quite the opposite. Announcement could come within 4 weeks. Though not likely be able to take the reigns until June. Focus on folks within Athletic Depts. Important to have experience being involved in the hiring of a coach. Football experience is another key factor.

All that said.... impossible to get inside Bill's thought process. Might just wind up picking the most handsome and tough candidate.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:04 pm

I'm still in Tre's camp on this hire, it will be another stiff. I heard that the Trustees asked Leahy to stay on to hire the new AD and that they are just starting to put together a committee. As usual I'm sure the committee will be made up of employees only. Leahy's prefers the "intramural model" for athletics. There is zero leadership at BC, zero.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I'm still in Tre's camp on this hire, it will be another stiff. I heard that the Trustees asked Leahy to stay on to hire the new AD and that they are just starting to put together a committee. As usual I'm sure the committee will be made up of employees only. Leahy's prefers the "intramural model" for athletics. There is zero leadership at BC, zero.

Shut the fuck. Up.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:18 pm

I see my stalker is back. Get a life outside of BC.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I see my stalker is back. Get a life outside of BC.

Die faster. 2 maybe 3 years.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:24 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I'm still in Tre's camp on this hire, it will be another stiff. I heard that the Trustees asked Leahy to stay on to hire the new AD and that they are just starting to put together a committee. As usual I'm sure the committee will be made up of employees only. Leahy's prefers the "intramural model" for athletics. There is zero leadership at BC, zero.

You have no information. Never have.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 am

Until the top administrators at BC are gone....I would go with the theme that past actions are the best indicator of future actions....therefore, BC Big Time Sports can go along this same path.... :gun
Drastic change is needed.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:44 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:Do not expect a quick search. I was just told that the plan is to have the search firm gather up a large pool of candidates. Supposedly Leahy thinks they narrowed the search too soon the last time. He only met with the finalists. This time everyone interested will meet with Leahy and the members of the search committee, assuming they are available. That means at least two rounds of interviews. The time table is to have someone in place by June.

My belief is quite the opposite. Announcement could come within 4 weeks. Though not likely be able to take the reigns until June. Focus on folks within Athletic Depts. Important to have experience being involved in the hiring of a coach. Football experience is another key factor.

All that said.... impossible to get inside Bill's thought process. Might just wind up picking the most handsome and tough candidate.

Over the years, I've noticed that one person will tell me Leahy is leaning toward X and then the next day someone will say Leahy is leaning away from X. These are people who have dealings with him and his surrogates. I've just assumed that it was how Leahy felt people out about a decision. He would talk up all the options and see what sort of response he got. The way the Donahue firing went down makes me think that Leahy just listens to whoever gets in his ear last.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:59 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Over the years, I've noticed that one person will tell me Leahy is leaning toward X and then the next day someone will say Leahy is leaning away from X. These are people who have dealings with him and his surrogates. I've just assumed that it was how Leahy felt people out about a decision. He would talk up all the options and see what sort of response he got. The way the Donahue firing went down makes me think that Leahy just listens to whoever gets in his ear last.

I think it's this.

Here's the thing about the Don firing. That was effectively the last day of Bates career. According to folks who are still friendly with Don, Bates told him hours before he was fired that he was safe and that he "foresees him being at BC until his retirement." That is when the "Don is safe" articles widely circulated. The Leahy then came in and knee-capped him out of the blue. Don was completely shocked... as was Bates. It was at that moment, Bates realized that he effectively had no power. The bizarre winding search resulting in Eddie Fogler hiring Jim Christian was all the natural outcome of an athletic department adrift at sea. From then on, Buttcut was just eye candy for Bill.

This is not to absolve Bates. He was a terrible hire. He never connected with alums or players. He never had a vision or even came up with a roadmap. And, the hiring of Daz was his decision... which shows how poor a read he had on the situation and the fanbase (as he was completely floored by the outrage).

Bill is making the hire. He has a couple of (literally 2) employees with whom he discusses the situation and he has Parker doing background research and gauging interest of targets. The call will be his. The BOT is not involved... like they always are not. They will hear about the choice around the same time we all find out. As has been the case with each and hiring... no one knows anything. The other candidates have no clue. The media has no clue. The BOT has no clue. It's just Bill and whomever he whispers gently in the ear to at night.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Another thing I've heard a few times is that Leahy is looking at this hire as part of his legacy. The bigger search and bigger search committee is due to wanting to make a big hire so Leahy can retire claiming to have put athletics on a firm footing. That could mean anything from a guy who seriously thought Bates was a good choice. If you have any experience around C-level executives, you know Bates is not a guy who can work at that level. He's much further down the org chart.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}: If you have any experience around C-level executives, you know Bates is not a guy who can work at that level. He's much further down the org chart.

I like to use the term of art and call him a "MAC-level" hire
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:02 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:Another thing I've heard a few times is that Leahy is looking at this hire as part of his legacy. The bigger search and bigger search committee is due to wanting to make a big hire so Leahy can retire claiming to have put athletics on a firm footing.

I don't believe that for a second. Bill's legacy is cemented irregadless who he hires. I think, if he lucks into a good AD, it would be based on nothing but luck. Quite honestly, if he lands a competent AD, it probably would piss him off. Billy came in with the reputation of someone being anti-sports. Everything he has done over the past 20 years has cemented that belief.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:Another thing I've heard a few times is that Leahy is looking at this hire as part of his legacy. The bigger search and bigger search committee is due to wanting to make a big hire so Leahy can retire claiming to have put athletics on a firm footing.

I don't believe that for a second. Bill's legacy is cemented irregadless who he hires. I think, if he lucks into a good AD, it would be based on nothing but luck. Quite honestly, if he lands a competent AD, it probably would piss him off. Billy came in with the reputation of someone being anti-sports. Everything he has done over the past 20 years has cemented that belief.

let's be honest - his legacy is that he didn't fuck up the academic aspects of the school that monan left him while decimating the athletic aspects of the school that monan left him
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I think it's this.

Here's the thing about the Don firing. That was effectively the last day of Bates career. According to folks who are still friendly with Don, Bates told him hours before he was fired that he was safe and that he "foresees him being at BC until his retirement." That is when the "Don is safe" articles widely circulated. The Leahy then came in and knee-capped him out of the blue. Don was completely shocked... as was Bates. It was at that moment, Bates realized that he effectively had no power. The bizarre winding search resulting in Eddie Fogler hiring Jim Christian was all the natural outcome of an athletic department adrift at sea. From then on, Buttcut was just eye candy for Bill.

This is not to absolve Bates. He was a terrible hire. He never connected with alums or players. He never had a vision or even came up with a roadmap. And, the hiring of Daz was his decision... which shows how poor a read he had on the situation and the fanbase (as he was completely floored by the outrage).

Bill is making the hire. He has a couple of (literally 2) employees with whom he discusses the situation and he has Parker doing background research and gauging interest of targets. The call will be his. The BOT is not involved... like they always are not. They will hear about the choice around the same time we all find out. As has been the case with each and hiring... no one knows anything. The other candidates have no clue. The media has no clue. The BOT has no clue. It's just Bill and whomever he whispers gently in the ear to at night.

Don's friends are lying to you. Father Leahy and the trustees (Chase Rettig was rightly rewarded with a trip as well.) had an already scheduled meeting to the Breakers in Palm Beach right after reports that Donahue was staying came out. Everyone was completely bewildered at the news Don was staying because no decision had been made, and in all likelihood he was being fired. The official firing occurred after Leahy returned. Now what Bates was telling Don, I have no idea. I suppose it's possible, but I have a hard time believing Leahy told Bates to give Don the vote of confidence while he was strongly hinting to everyone up to the JetBlue flight attendants that Don was done. I think it's more likely that Don thought he could strongarm BC into keeping him and went to friendly media sources to make BC look indecisive if they fired him.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:45 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Don's friends are lying to you. Father Leahy and the trustees (Chase Rettig was rightly rewarded with a trip as well.) had an already scheduled meeting to the Breakers in Palm Beach right after reports that Donahue was staying came out. Everyone was completely bewildered at the news Don was staying because no decision had been made, and in all likelihood he was being fired. The official firing occurred after Leahy returned. Now what Bates was telling Don, I have no idea. I suppose it's possible, but I have a hard time believing Leahy told Bates to give Don the vote of confidence while he was strongly hinting to everyone up to the JetBlue flight attendants that Don was done. I think it's more likely that Don thought he could strongarm BC into keeping him and went to friendly media sources to make BC look indecisive if they fired him.

I think you are confirming the point. Leahy made the firing. Bates was merely a messenger... not a decision-maker. Bates was the AD... he likely did not think he had to run it by Billy to give one of his coaches a vote of confidence.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:39 pm

Donahue wouldn't need to leak the stories if he didn't think his job was still in jeopardy. And if Bates had given the vote of confidence, then Leahy wouldn't have been blindsided. If Bates unilaterally gave Don another year given his record and then not tell Leahy that he had done it. (Personally, I think this unlikely). Then Leahy's mistake was not firing Bates then.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:51 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Donahue wouldn't need to leak the stories if he didn't think his job was still in jeopardy. And if Bates had given the vote of confidence, then Leahy wouldn't have been blindsided. If Bates unilaterally gave Don another year given his record and then not tell Leahy that he had done it. (Personally, I think this unlikely). Then Leahy's mistake was not firing Bates then.

Why the fuck would an AD have to seek permission or tell anyone that he's NOT firing a coach with multiple years still on his contract? Bates should have unilaterally been able to make that call... because that was his fucking job. Some Jesuit who has no athletic inclination (outside an alleged penchant for buggery) is the last person who should be micromanaging coaching decisions.

Leahy "blindsided" by a coach being retained? You are unwittingly confirming every "blame Leahy for everything" post Corners has made.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:45 am

Leahy has zero interest in sports and I can't see him firing Don unless Bates advised him it was necessary. Leahy does care about ticket sales because he hates financing growing athletic losses, but unlike Al, Don had no off court problems. Declining ticket sales/revenue losses are the reason Bates is out. It's all about the money with Leahy. He has a huge ego and he will make the hires. The BOT has no involvement with the day to day management of the university and basically everything is considered day to day management.

What's disappointing in Leahy is his failure to really understand when he has a good thing going. He hired TOB and regularly drew over 40,000 per game, team went to a bowl game every year and had a 6 game winning streak against ND. He gave GDF free reign to fuck that all up, although his insistence on not investing in athletic facilities doomed the programs anyways. His refusal to recognize JY is just unexplainable. He is a very strange person and he is intent on changing the role that athletics has played at BC. He is the "anti-BC".
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:25 am

Congrats Corners. Not even sure Roonie would be to so spectacularly fuck up his blind squirrel moment.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:26 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Leahy has zero interest in sports and I can't see him firing Don unless Bates advised him it was necessary. Leahy does care about ticket sales because he hates financing growing athletic losses, but unlike Al, Don had no off court problems. Declining ticket sales/revenue losses are the reason Bates is out. It's all about the money with Leahy. He has a huge ego and he will make the hires. The BOT has no involvement with the day to day management of the university and basically everything is considered day to day management.

What's disappointing in Leahy is his failure to really understand when he has a good thing going. He hired TOB and regularly drew over 40,000 per game, team went to a bowl game every year and had a 6 game winning streak against ND. He gave GDF free reign to fuck that all up, although his insistence on not investing in athletic facilities doomed the programs anyways. His refusal to recognize JY is just unexplainable. He is a very strange person and he is intent on changing the role that athletics has played at BC. He is the "anti-BC".

Jesus. Take this worship of mediocrity to EA
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 am

People including Bates soured on Don in January. It's hardly micromanaging to want to have a discussion about the continued employment a revenue sport's coach given Don's record. And, I repeat, that's not what I think happened. Do you really think that Leahy suddenly fancied himself a hoops guru? The story's much simpler. Don knew the odds were against him. After Bates didn't shitcan him immediately, he threw a Hail Mary pass that fell incomplete.

If you want to blame Leahy for something, it's having too much confidence in Don to turn it around in the final season. Bates was hired partially because Leahy was so convinced Don was the right guy that Bates would focus on football. Of course, then Bates hired Addazio when people told him not to, but that's a different kettle of fish.
Last edited by tallsy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:People including Bates soured on Don in January. It's hardly micromanaging to want to have a discussion about the continued employment a revenue sport's coach given Don's record. Do you really think that Leahy suddenly fancied himself a hoops guru? The story's much simpler. Don knew the odds were against him. After Bates didn't shitcan him immediately, he threw a Hail Mary pass that fell incomplete.

If you want to blame Leahy for something, it's having too much confidence in Don to turn it around in the final season. Bates was hired partially because Leahy was so convinced Don was the right guy that Bates would focus on football. Of course, then Bates hired Addazio when people told him not to, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Some of the other rumored candidates would have been a spectacular disaster in football (Hazell, Diaco, etc.).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 am

Addazio has one problem that can be fixed that would get him to TOB level mediocrity. Stop being so goddamn stubborn, leave Loeffler alone and let someone that knows how to manage the clock, like Pasquiloni, manage the clock. Addazio should be a manager and stop pretending he's Belichick, with a top down approach to everything. That'd get you two more wins a year right there.

To get past the TOB level, he'd need to recruit more of the better athletes like Smith and Landry. But for now, I'd take more throw game, better in-game clock management and 8-9 wins.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:24 am

agree completely with this :koolaid
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:41 am

People keep referencing Don's "record" as being so bad that retention would have been a shocking decision requiring Leahy approval.

Don's winning percentage at BC was higher in conference (.353) than Christian's overall winning percentage (.302). As an apples-to-apples comparison, Don's overall winning percentage was .415 and Christian's conference winning percentage is .111. To come close to Don's winning percentage, Christian would have to win 25-games next year while going a perfect 18-0 in conference. Even after such a run, Christian would have to be fired as his record would be so deplorable that retention would have been a shocking result.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:06 am

But Don's record was skewed by taking over a decent Skinner squad (granting he did improve the W-L record by 6 games). Take away Reggie Jackson, who Don lost with a year of eligibility left, and you get what we got. That doesn't disprove your point, but supports my vague feeling that Christian, still not an ACC-caliber coach who needs to go, is better than Donahue
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium