2017-18 Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby 31southst on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:33 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Who is BOB?

Bill O'Brien.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:15 am

If they hire Ryan Day, does Tyler Murphy come back? Otherwise, hard pass, he's not even a good play caller.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:19 am

Ty Willingham, Jon Gruden, and Bill Cowher are ALL available.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:22 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Ty Willingham, Jon Gruden, and Bill Cowher are ALL available.

as are steve logan, kevin rogers and tom coughlin
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:25 am

Randy Shannon would take the job. He would actually be a decent fit at BC.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:36 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Randy Shannon would take the job. He would actually be a decent fit at BC.

Why do you say that? He has zero connection to the northeast.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:37 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:Randy Shannon would take the job. He would actually be a decent fit at BC.

Exactly
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:44 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Exactly

I'm all for an infusion of new ideas, but I think a BC HC candidate needs to have an understanding of the football culture (or lack thereof) in the northeast. Shannon is a Florida product through-and-through, I don't think he would be able to wrap his head around shit like the BRA, the Newton Alderman, the apathetic fanbase, the empty suit AD and how this shit is going to make his job tougher.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:05 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:Ty Willingham, Jon Gruden, and Bill Cowher are ALL available.

TC has some football left in him, but would need a young vibrant assistant HC.

I cant believe I would say Schiano would be a good fit.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:16 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}: I don't think he would be able to wrap his head around shit like the BRA, the Newton Alderman, the apathetic fanbase, the empty suit AD and how this shit is going to make his job tougher.

The head coach shouldn't have to concern himself with the BRA and the Newton Aldermen. Shannon is familiar with apathetic fanbases. Miami has a horrible fanbase unless they are winning.

Any coach that is hired by BC has to deal with Leahy's limited vision. We're stuck with that until he is gone. I'm not saying that Randy Shannon is the answer. I'm just saying that he is better than what we have. Plus, he has the ability to recruit in areas where BC has never been a player.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:56 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}: I don't think he would be able to wrap his head around shit like the BRA, the Newton Alderman, the apathetic fanbase, the empty suit AD and how this shit is going to make his job tougher.

The head coach shouldn't have to concern himself with the BRA and the Newton Aldermen. Shannon is familiar with apathetic fanbases. Miami has a horrible fanbase unless they are winning.

Any coach that is hired by BC has to deal with Leahy's limited vision. We're stuck with that until he is gone. I'm not saying that Randy Shannon is the answer. I'm just saying that he is better than what we have. Plus, he has the ability to recruit in areas where BC has never been a player.

i've always liked randy as our oc, not really for the head job.

nospace was the first to float this idea, i think

ps - learn to quote properly you fucking n00btardz
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:02 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

and the Big Buck!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:14 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}: I don't think he would be able to wrap his head around shit like the BRA, the Newton Alderman, the apathetic fanbase, the empty suit AD and how this shit is going to make his job tougher.

I think it needs to be 1 of 2 things: Leahy leaves and is replaced by a president who acknowledges value in revenue sports; or Bates replacement has some level of substance as opposed to Bates who does not.

I really don't believe Leahy would interfere if we had a capable AD. There may be budget constraints, but as has been noted Addazio's not making bottom dollar wages, he just is providing poor value.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:38 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Exactly

Plus, he was a great offensive coordinator.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Exactly

Plus, he was a great offensive coordinator.

I'd be willing to bet that he'd be pretty good on the defensive side as well.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:17 pm

What about Doug Marrone? Would piss off a bunch of Cuse alums.

Since we won't pay for an established college head coach and after suffering through back2back glorified gym teachers, I am of the opinion that our next coach should have significant NFL experience. The NFL coaching ranks is where the best football minds work ridiculous hours. It is specifically that type of business approach that has a puncher's chance of working at BC... essentially, the coaches have to work that much harder to compete. It seems that those who have lived solely in the world of college (TOB, Spaz, Daz) get too preoccupied with external factors like facilities, rankings and academic standards.

To that end, I will note that I am still a fan of Greg Roman for the BC job. Other NFL coordinators of note: Pep Hamilton, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Sullivan, Mike Shula, Pete Carmichael, Jr., Todd Monken, Josh McDaniels, Curtis Modkins, Matt Patricia, Jim Schwartz, Steve Spagnuolo, Dennis Allen, Mike Pettine, Ken Norton Jr. and Teryl Austin.

NFL assistants of note: Brian Flores, Jack Bicknell Jr., Ryan Day, Bob Bicknell, Jerry Azzinaro, Al Golden, Dave Magazu, Bill McGovern, John DeFilippo, Sean Ryan, Marc Columbo, Kevin Gilbride, Jr., Steve Logan, Jeff Hafley, Pepper Johnson, Joe Lombardi, Raheem Morris, Mike Vrabel, Mike Munchak, Bill Lazor, Brian Schottenheimer, Mike Tice, Bill Musgrave, Pat Shurmur, Mike Groh, Perry Fewell, Alex Van Pelt and (if you want to stay with mustachiosed Italians) Tony Sparano.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:26 pm

Holy shit, Alex van Pelt. As in Pitt QB Alex van Pelt?

Some of those names are ridiculous, but I'd be on board with one of the alums. Obviously Carmichael tops that list, but that's probably a pipe dream.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Holy shit, Alex van Pelt. As in Pitt QB Alex van Pelt?

Some of those names are ridiculous, but I'd be on board with one of the alums. Obviously Carmichael tops that list, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Yep... he's actually has had a pretty nice little career as a coach. A lot of the assistant names I listed were more because I found it interesting that they were holding jobs in the NFL. Funny how Azzinaro and Magz are still kicking around. I should've thrown in Paul Boudreau and Steve Szabo.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:36 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I think the "Day wouldn't be a candidate for other Power 5 jobs" arguement is weak. Every school has candidates that are specific to just their school. Would anyone else have hired Hugh Freeze when Ole Miss did? Don't you think it helped that he coached there before.

My biggest and only concern about Day when he takes over is that his UNH crony friends on BC's staffs were always our week links.

When Daz is replaced (not this year) there will be plenty of good candidates. Let's just hope we have an AD who will think big and not just go for guys he can push around (GDF's favorite move) or guys who were already prescreened and prepped for the interview (Bates' move).

Who are the UNH cronies?? Chip Kelly? We wouldn't want a guy like that running the program. Who else? Sean McDonnell...has run a winning program for years and has been to the FCS playoffs 12 years in a row, a former BC grad assistant back in late 80's, Eddie Robinson award winner....another crony. Or do we go way back and call Joe Yukica a UNH crony, since he was the UNH head coach before he came to BC.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:22 pm

westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I think the "Day wouldn't be a candidate for other Power 5 jobs" arguement is weak. Every school has candidates that are specific to just their school. Would anyone else have hired Hugh Freeze when Ole Miss did? Don't you think it helped that he coached there before.

My biggest and only concern about Day when he takes over is that his UNH crony friends on BC's staffs were always our week links.

When Daz is replaced (not this year) there will be plenty of good candidates. Let's just hope we have an AD who will think big and not just go for guys he can push around (GDF's favorite move) or guys who were already prescreened and prepped for the interview (Bates' move).

Who are the UNH cronies?? Chip Kelly? We wouldn't want a guy like that running the program. Who else? Sean McDonnell...has run a winning program for years and has been to the FCS playoffs 12 years in a row, a former BC grad assistant back in late 80's, Eddie Robinson award winner....another crony. Or do we go way back and call Joe Yukica a UNH crony, since he was the UNH head coach before he came to BC.

Sean McGowan is one
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Again, Ryan Day wasn't very good.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:06 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:

Sean McGowan is one

Sean Devine was the worst. I think there were one or two others that were terrible as well.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:What about Doug Marrone? Would piss off a bunch of Cuse alums.

Since we won't pay for an established college head coach and after suffering through back2back glorified gym teachers, I am of the opinion that our next coach should have significant NFL experience. The NFL coaching ranks is where the best football minds work ridiculous hours. It is specifically that type of business approach that has a puncher's chance of working at BC... essentially, the coaches have to work that much harder to compete. It seems that those who have lived solely in the world of college (TOB, Spaz, Daz) get too preoccupied with external factors like facilities, rankings and academic standards.

To that end, I will note that I am still a fan of Greg Roman for the BC job. Other NFL coordinators of note: Pep Hamilton, Rob Chudzinski, Mike Sullivan, Mike Shula, Pete Carmichael, Jr., Todd Monken, Josh McDaniels, Curtis Modkins, Matt Patricia, Jim Schwartz, Steve Spagnuolo, Dennis Allen, Mike Pettine, Ken Norton Jr. and Teryl Austin.

NFL assistants of note: Brian Flores, Jack Bicknell Jr., Ryan Day, Bob Bicknell, Jerry Azzinaro, Al Golden, Dave Magazu, Bill McGovern, John DeFilippo, Sean Ryan, Marc Columbo, Kevin Gilbride, Jr., Steve Logan, Jeff Hafley, Pepper Johnson, Joe Lombardi, Raheem Morris, Mike Vrabel, Mike Munchak, Bill Lazor, Brian Schottenheimer, Mike Tice, Bill Musgrave, Pat Shurmur, Mike Groh, Perry Fewell, Alex Van Pelt and (if you want to stay with mustachiosed Italians) Tony Sparano.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1756 ... an-2-games

Greg Roman was fired by Rex today. While he was the highest paid coordinator in the League, I view this as a positive step in his career. If anyone watched the game last night, an offense led by freaking Tyrod Taylor ran roughshod over the Jets' legitimately strong defense. But, Rob Ryan (who is just terrible) couldn't stop a 30-something QB from Harvard. In typical Rex fashion, he chose the wrong person to fire.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:30 pm

Things are falling into place. Would love to see Roman as head coach...a REAL offensive mind unlike that donkey Daz. He took a team with virtually no offensive weapons (minus an injured Sammy Watkins) and pieced together a pretty strong unit in 2015. And, he had Tyrod Taylor who couldn't catch on anywhere and if you saw a few of his throws last night, you'd know why. I just hope that 0 ACC wins will be enough to get Daz fired.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:42 pm

I'm not sure I'd call that offense a steamroller. Half their yards came on two passes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm not sure I'd call that offense a steamroller. Half their yards came on two passes.

Why don't you just marry the husband of ihaveprettyfeet?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:59 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:Things are falling into place. Would love to see Roman as head coach...a REAL offensive mind unlike that donkey Daz. He took a team with virtually no offensive weapons (minus an injured Sammy Watkins) and pieced together a pretty strong unit in 2015. And, he had Tyrod Taylor who couldn't catch on anywhere and if you saw a few of his throws last night, you'd know why. I just hope that 0 ACC wins will be enough to get Daz fired.

We all know this is a stepping stone job. If you look at the history of the HC's since Jim Miller back in the 60's, the HC either has some connection to BC or the Northeast. The exceptions were Clebek and Henning and we all know how those turned out. Daz will be here through next season. Bates will be gone next summer most likely and they won't replace him with a new AD till sometime in the mid Fall. The administration won't make a coaching change as they will leave that to the new AD. Once the 2017 season is complete they will owe Dazzler ~$7M on the balance of his contract. I'm sure there is no buyout clause on his contract, considering the idiot who negotiated the deal from the BC side of the house. Hard to figure the administration agreeing to pay $7M to a retired gym teacher on top of paying $2.5M per year to the new HC. For the first 3 years of the deal the HC position would be paid $14.5M if they agreed ot cutting Sarge loose. Can't see that happening. But if they lose their mind and actually pull the trigger on a new coach, look for someone from a G5 program who wants to step up and coach in the P5, who has a connection to the Northeast (either a Northeast native or a former coach/player at BC) or look for an NFL assistant who either played here or coached here and is now a coordinator or been an assistant in some successful programs.

BC coaches over the years since the mid '60s:

Yukica was a New England guy (NH and a Penn State alum);-UNH HC prior to BC
Clebek-no ties to Northeast;-HC at E Michigan prior to BC
Bick was a BC asst and a NJ guy-UMaine HC prior to BC
TC was a BC asst and a Northeast guy-Asst with the NY Giants prior to BC
Henning-born in NYC but really no Northeast ties, former NFL HC and coordinator prior to BC--referred by Bill Parcells
Toby was a long time asst at Navy and UVA-Coordinator at UVA prior to BC
Jags was a BC asst-Coordinator of Packers prior to BC
Spaz-NJ guy/Penn State alum and BC asst;-DC at BC prior to HC gig
Sarge is a New England guy (CT)-HC at Temple prior to BC

A lot depends on who the AD is as it pertains to an HC. They all have thier list of guys they know or have dealt with. Bates interviewed Dazzler at Miami. If BC grabs a guy who went through an HC hire in the last 3-4 years of his job prior to getting to BC, look at the folks who interviewed for the job to give you an indication as to who might be the new HC. But none of this is happening till at least December 2017, if then. If he goes 7-5 and 7-5 again, there won't be any HC change, IMHO.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:00 pm

That's why Don Brown is the most realistic available candidate. Northeast guy, Spencer, MA, BC assistant and he has HC experience 95-45.

You cannot hang onto a losing coach because of the remaining years on his contract. You overcome the financial cost by increasing revenues with a new and winning HC. I agree that BC will bring Daz back regardless of what happens this season due to his contract and having ND on the home schedule to sell tickets next year.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:11 pm

I think you people need to let go of the notion that the BC head coach has to be a "northeast" guy. Sad.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:... Half their yards came on two passes.

So you can do this with passes but not runs. Gotcha
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium