2017-18 Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Problem with Ryan Day is that he has never been a head coach. He might also just look to head back to the pros

I am not advocating for or against Day, but HC experience should not be a criteria.

I am advocating against Day. Name another Power 5 team for which he would be a candidate.

syracuse
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:10 pm

I think the "Day wouldn't be a candidate for other Power 5 jobs" arguement is weak. Every school has candidates that are specific to just their school. Would anyone else have hired Hugh Freeze when Ole Miss did? Don't you think it helped that he coached there before.

My biggest and only concern about Day when he takes over is that his UNH crony friends on BC's staffs were always our week links.

When Daz is replaced (not this year) there will be plenty of good candidates. Let's just hope we have an AD who will think big and not just go for guys he can push around (GDF's favorite move) or guys who were already prescreened and prepped for the interview (Bates' move).
Last edited by ATLeagle on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:14 pm

BOB and Mullen are fantasyland. I just want a true national search, where people outside the MAC are considered.

I do think that one of NE experience or a stop at a school with high academics needs to be met, but not necessarily both. That's why someone from the Harbaugh tree seems promising.

I would oppose a midseason firing unless the team loses to Wagner.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:16 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I think the "Day wouldn't be a candidate for other Power 5 jobs" is weak. Every school has candidates that are specific to just their school. Would anyone else have hired Hugh Freeze when Ole Miss did? Don't you think it helped that he coached there before.

Wut?? Lots of schools wanted Freeze. The rumor was that his wife didn't want to leave Arkansas.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:25 pm

I doubt he would want to come because he could probably get far better jobs but Josh McDaniels?
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:34 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I doubt he would want to come because he could probably get far better jobs but Josh McDaniels?

He's being groomed for another shot at an NFL job.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Problem with Ryan Day is that he has never been a head coach. He might also just look to head back to the pros

I am not advocating for or against Day, but HC experience should not be a criteria.

I am advocating against Day. Name another Power 5 team for which he would be a candidate.

I'll advocate for Day. He's young, smart, gets BC and has been successful along with NFL connections.

You live in a fantasy land if you think Mullen, BOB, etc are even in consideration

I agree with this. Day isnt a huge name, or the best name, but he does checks a lot of boxes. I don't personally think BOB is total fantasyland, mainly because of the connection with his wife and the care his child could get at BC similar to Jagz, but it would take the stars aligning perfectly which obv makes it unlikely (i.e. flame out in Houston, not get another NFL opportunity, and BC having an opening at the same time). I think Mullen and Chip are both unrealistic names regardless of scenarios in the future. I can get around the Day not being a HC thing if only because he has been at BC for such a long time. He has NFL experience (i.e. Jags) which helps ease the issue around HC experience.
Last edited by BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:32 pm

holyshitwhatthefuckhasryandaydonethatmakespeoplewanttofirehimasournextcoach
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Max Quad on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:25 pm

WAIT UNTIL LEAHYHOO IS READY TO LEAVE AND THEN BRING JIM TRESSEL TO BC AS BOTH PRESIDENT AND AS FOOTBALL COACH.

THEY HATE US BECAUSE WE'RE FREE.
BC FOOTBALL: UNDEFEATED ON MAX QUAD DAY.
Max Quad
Carney Hall

Postby Sahonte on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm glad to see Max mention Jim Tressel. My "Bring Jim Tressel to BC" blog has just been updated! Enjoy!!1! Go Eags!
http://bringjimtresseltobc.blogspot.com/
Sahonte
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:54 pm

Sahonte and Max Quad together at last!
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:19 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I'll advocate for Day. He's young, smart, gets BC and has been successful along with NFL connections.

You live in a fantasy land if you think Mullen, BOB, etc are even in consideration

I agree with this. Day isnt a huge name, or the best name, but he does checks a lot of boxes. I don't personally think BOB is total fantasyland, mainly because of the connection with his wife and the care his child could get at BC similar to Jagz, but it would take the stars aligning perfectly which obv makes it unlikely (i.e. flame out in Houston, not get another NFL opportunity, and BC having an opening at the same time). I think Mullen and Chip are both unrealistic names regardless of scenarios in the future. I can get around the Day not being a HC thing if only because he has been at BC for such a long time. He has NFL experience (i.e. Jags) which helps ease the issue around HC experience.

Frankly, anyone who "checks the boxes" for BC is a bad idea, because it implies a connection to a way of doing things that worked in the past. The problem is that those successes occurred, in most cases, more than a decade ago. College football is a completely different sport now and the methods with which BC had success in the past flat out don't work anymore. The school has yet to catch on to this and any attempt to try and recapture that magic with someone like Day or Golden is only going to dig the hole even deeper then it already is.

Going outside the box and bringing in a coach who is legitimately different and has a more modern way of thinking is the only way to even begin trying to build BC into a competitive program again.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:00 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Frankly, anyone who "checks the boxes" for BC is a bad idea, because it implies a connection to a way of doing things that worked in the past. The problem is that those successes occurred, in most cases, more than a decade ago. College football is a completely different sport now and the methods with which BC had success in the past flat out don't work anymore. The school has yet to catch on to this and any attempt to try and recapture that magic with someone like Day or Golden is only going to dig the hole even deeper then it already is.

Going outside the box and bringing in a coach who is legitimately different and has a more modern way of thinking is the only way to even begin trying to build BC into a competitive program again.

The best thing that Addazio can keep doing is sending guys to the NFL through the draft or free agency. There's not much else we can promise a kid while sitting in their living room with their parents. We can't promise they will win tons of games and play for titles. But we can promise them a degree actually worth something and a chance at the NFL.

If he can keep doing this it will keep the team stocked with talented players which the next guy can then take and starting competing for titles with.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:01 pm

I'm afraid EagleDave is right. Hard for BC to adjust to a landscape where most schools' recruits are academically unprepared for anything but hanging around for four or five years in some "sports management" or "apparel" major -- which is but one aspect of what Dave is talking about. Another much discussed here is, of course, facilities. Leahy and Co. are just in revolt against a reality that doesn't fit their worldview. But they can't go home again.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:43 pm

HC experience is always a consideration, but it should not be a requirement. DB is just a very good fit for BC. He has a proven record as a HC, currently DC at a huge school under a great coach, has working experience at BC, is a local guy and fits BC's price range. He will not jump to the NFL and at age 62 it's unlikely anyone will come hire him away. 10 seasons and then hand the program to an assistant.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:10 pm

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:I'm afraid EagleDave is right. Hard for BC to adjust to a landscape where most schools' recruits are academically unprepared for anything but hanging around for four or five years in some "sports management" or "apparel" major -- which is but one aspect of what Dave is talking about. Another much discussed here is, of course, facilities. Leahy and Co. are just in revolt against a reality that doesn't fit their worldview. But they can't go home again.

I was more talking about the generalities of recruiting and style of play, but this is true also. My overall point was that, purely from a program building standpoint, BC is LIGHTYEARS behind everyone else. Christ, even Wake fucking Forest just built a new IPF.

BC fans like to scoff at recruiting services and star ratings because guys like Tom O'Brien and Tom Coughlin made them look like idiots for the better part of two decades. They did it by finding under recruited guys, redshirting them as freshman and building them into studs. That's a strategy that simply doesn't work anymore because there are so few true hidden gems in the era of Hudl, social media, showcase camps and the 24/7 news cycle. If you can play, even a little bit, schools from all over the country will find you now.

It's why recruiting budgets have exploded and programs have insanely sophisticated recruiting systems (to say nothing of the booster $$$ flowing through the superpowers). BC literally has one guy on their staff right now that could get a job at a high level program where recruiting is placed above all and that's Al. He's gone out into untapped areas for BC and found some of the best kids we've had the last few years. The problem is that every successful program has 4-5 guys just like him. Addazio has Al solely because he played here.

Realistically though, very few staff's could recruit high end kids to BC right now. It's so easy for a competing program to show off their new facilities, which make ours look even worse than the embarrassment that they already are, and to talk about their own institutional commitment to the sport vs. ours (remember BC as the lone dissenting vote to paying COA?). That doesn't even mention that we're trying to recruit kids to a program that's stuck in the 1970's from a style of play standpoint when a lot of other schools are luring recruits by moving to a more entertaining and fun brand of football.

Academics, Menino, the neighbors and whatever other excuse BC has conjured up in the last 10 years is all bullshit. If they really wanted to, BC could turn itself into Stanford - East in a heartbeat, but the school is perfectly comfortable with a half assed commitment to athletic success as long as the ACC checks keep coming. Until that mindset changes, the hole will keep getting deeper.
Last edited by EagleDave on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:16 pm

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:I'm afraid EagleDave is right. Hard for BC to adjust to a landscape where most schools' recruits are academically unprepared for anything but hanging around for four or five years in some "sports management" or "apparel" major -- which is but one aspect of what Dave is talking about. Another much discussed here is, of course, facilities. Leahy and Co. are just in revolt against a reality that doesn't fit their worldview. But they can't go home again.

I have to disagree in re: to the academic thing. It is not a major obstacle. BC's football standards are no more difficult than Northwestern, Duke, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt or ND (Stanford is the only legitimate outlier with higher academic standards even for "football academics"). There is a large pool of guys that BC can go after, who fit the academic profile, and can be extremely competitive with. Can you academically recruit with the large state schools in the south, no probably not, there are enough dummies with 4th grade reading levels who couldn't hang at BC, but for the most part, the academics is not as much of an obstacle as people like to make it seem.

The facilities issue compounds things when you have a smaller group of players (small in relation to the entire recruiting landscape, but still large enough to be very competitive) who can last in an "academic school". All of a sudden, while you may be on par with these academic peers in terms of a degree, you instantly go to the back of the line when kids see that you easily have the worst facilities of that group (and in the country). Ill say it again, and agree with ATL, recruiting is very far down on my current list of issues with this program considering the infrastructure that Addazio is trying to sell. Im fairly confident that this program would see an immediate uptick in recruiting/talent if facilities could be quickly built, but that is likely a pipe dream
Last edited by BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:HC experience is always a consideration, but it should not be a requirement. DB is just a very good fit for BC. He has a proven record as a HC, currently DC at a huge school under a great coach, has working experience at BC, is a local guy and fits BC's price range. He will not jump to the NFL and at age 62 it's unlikely anyone will come hire him away. 10 seasons and then hand the program to an assistant.

This post is pretty much the embodiment of every "we are what we are" BC fan.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:34 pm

ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:39 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}: He will not jump to the NFL and at age 62 it's unlikely anyone will come hire him away.

Spoken like a true Merrymen. This is the attitude that brought us Daz.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:24 am

You have to be realistic in who BC can attract next season for a HC. We already know that DB is a very good coach, but Ryan Day is much more of a gamble. I do not want a MAC coach and I do not see any Power 5 coach that would want this job. DB is going to get a HC job within the next 2 years because Michigan is going to be very good. BC should have hired DB as HC 4 years ago, not Daz.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:31 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:You have to be realistic in who BC can attract next season for a HC. We already know that DB is a very good coach, but Ryan Day is much more of a gamble. I do not want a MAC coach and I do not see any Power 5 coach that would want this job. DB is going to get a HC job within the next 2 years because Michigan is going to be very good. BC should have hired DB as HC 4 years ago, not Daz.

is don "whitey" brown your father or father-in-law?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:40 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}: He will not jump to the NFL and at age 62 it's unlikely anyone will come hire him away.

Spoken like a true Merrymen. This is the attitude that brought us Daz.

The irony here is that the favorite coach of whalepants and Merrymen, Tom Coughlin, did jump to the NFL.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:50 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}: "apparel" major

Is this really a thing outside of Parsons and FIT?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:51 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:You have to be realistic in who BC can attract next season for a HC. We already know that DB is a very good coach, but Ryan Day is much more of a gamble. I do not want a MAC coach and I do not see any Power 5 coach that would want this job. DB is going to get a HC job within the next 2 years because Michigan is going to be very good. BC should have hired DB as HC 4 years ago, not Daz.

is don "whitey" brown your father or father-in-law?

Don Brown will get the corners filled in.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:21 am

You are all delusional if you think Daz is getting fired after this year. :shrug
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:20 pm

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:50 pm

I tend to agree that no matter what Daz will be back next season. With ND on the home schedule they figure that they can sell a lot of tickets regardless if BC is coming off another losing season. Pathetic to say the least. Eagle Dave is right, we should be Stanford East.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:50 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Who is BOB?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:02 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Who is BOB?

beef o'brady bowl

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic ... radys-bowl
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext