2017-18 Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:56 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:
I'm one of the diehards, like you, that still thinks BC can compete for championships in football if they build up their practice facilities and upgrade the stadium to attract recruits and fans. I think they can draw from the national network of Catholic HS to build top recruiting classes. They should on their own or with ND conduct camps at many top Catholic HS across the country. None of this will happen as long as Leahy is at BC.

Just wondering, what kind of upgrades should we do to Alumni to attract recruits? Are recruits impressed by empty seats and shiny new shitters?

I wish we could build something on the 24 acres off Hammond Pond now. Something gaudy and glorious.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:16 pm

Steve Addazio + SEC Talent = Les Miles

That guy is a freaking moron
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:33 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:
I'm one of the diehards, like you, that still thinks BC can compete for championships in football if they build up their practice facilities and upgrade the stadium to attract recruits and fans. I think they can draw from the national network of Catholic HS to build top recruiting classes. They should on their own or with ND conduct camps at many top Catholic HS across the country. None of this will happen as long as Leahy is at BC.

Just wondering, what kind of upgrades should we do to Alumni to attract recruits? Are recruits impressed by empty seats and shiny new shitters?

Alumni is fine.

Pretty much every single other aspect of the program is not.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:43 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:Holy hire Les Miles RIGHT NOW

This would save Brad Bates' job at BC.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Steve Addazio + SEC Talent = Les Miles

Greg Schiano, Brian Kelly, Doug Marrone, Les Miles, Al Golden, Tom Coughlin, Lane Kiffin... all coaches people here think the BC job is better than. When, in reality, the opposite is true.

Look, would I hire these coaches to coach an NFL team or a baby rapist school? With the exception of TC, probably not. But, for BC, they would all represent a shock-the-world type hire. Anyone who doesn't see that is deserving of Spaz and Daz and whatever version the of the two is hired next (be it Day or Brown).

I always enjoy these annual next head coach threads because it distracts from the reality of today. But, I always find it comical to see the wild/crazy views folks have on other coaches. It reminds me of the last basketball search when those same folks killed the suggestion of Jim Calhoun. Eddie Fogler's hiring committee is their just reward.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:47 pm

and winner of a national title

Should have been Matty Ice vs LSU
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:09 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:

I think we all know by now where corners stands on this issue.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:17 am

With the exception of TC and maybe Schiano, the rest of those coaches would never be successful at BC. TC does not appear to have any interest in returning to college ball, let alone BC. You would think Schiano would look for a bigger job.

When I say that Don Brown is the most realistic coach for BC, I'm not saying that it is a lock that he is the 2nd coming of TC, but every coach mentioned is not coming to BC for one reason or another. Focusing on the available talent pool, DB is the still the best candidate.

Facilities matter big time to recruits. IPF is a must that could include a better weight room and players lounge without mini golf and laser tag. Joking, we should put in bowling lanes to be different!

The stadium is easy, just look at Baylor (43,000), it has the amenities fans want today and it looks impressive to recruits. The lower bowl is fine, maybe install chair seats in the DBS areas. The upper decks are a disaster, especially the Conte Forum side which you cannot do much about without involving Conte. The deck over the Beacon St garage is easily removable as are the terrible boxes. Build a new deck, all club seats, new boxes at the height of the endzone boxes with outside seating. Capacity will drop by about 2,000 seats, but the club seats will sell out. With tailgating spaces shrinking and an aging fan base, you need to make improvements to retain as many season ticket holders for as many years as possible and attract new fans with first class amenities. Every stadium in the country realized this fact several years ago and many have made the upgrades or are in the design stage. BC is in an ideal location income wise to make it a profitable venture.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:54 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Greg Schiano, Brian Kelly, Doug Marrone, Les Miles, Al Golden, Tom Coughlin, Lane Kiffin... all coaches people here think the BC job is better than. When, in reality, the opposite is true.

Look, would I hire these coaches to coach an NFL team or a baby rapist school? With the exception of TC, probably not. But, for BC, they would all represent a shock-the-world type hire. Anyone who doesn't see that is deserving of Spaz and Daz and whatever version the of the two is hired next (be it Day or Brown).

I always enjoy these annual next head coach threads because it distracts from the reality of today. But, I always find it comical to see the wild/crazy views folks have on other coaches. It reminds me of the last basketball search when those same folks killed the suggestion of Jim Calhoun. Eddie Fogler's hiring committee is their just reward.

I agree with HomoJS.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:24 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Ha, you basically are the "next head coach threads"
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:24 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree with HomoJS.

i agree with wang's agreement with moj
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:49 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:With the exception of TC and maybe Schiano, the rest of those coaches would never be successful at BC. TC does not appear to have any interest in returning to college ball, let alone BC. You would think Schiano would look for a bigger job.

When I say that Don Brown is the most realistic coach for BC, I'm not saying that it is a lock that he is the 2nd coming of TC, but every coach mentioned is not coming to BC for one reason or another. Focusing on the available talent pool, DB is the still the best candidate.

Facilities matter big time to recruits. IPF is a must that could include a better weight room and players lounge without mini golf and laser tag. Joking, we should put in bowling lanes to be different!

The stadium is easy, just look at Baylor (43,000), it has the amenities fans want today and it looks impressive to recruits. The lower bowl is fine, maybe install chair seats in the DBS areas. The upper decks are a disaster, especially the Conte Forum side which you cannot do much about without involving Conte. The deck over the Beacon St garage is easily removable as are the terrible boxes. Build a new deck, all club seats, new boxes at the height of the endzone boxes with outside seating. Capacity will drop by about 2,000 seats, but the club seats will sell out. With tailgating spaces shrinking and an aging fan base, you need to make improvements to retain as many season ticket holders for as many years as possible and attract new fans with first class amenities. Every stadium in the country realized this fact several years ago and many have made the upgrades or are in the design stage. BC is in an ideal location income wise to make it a profitable venture.

UMass plays at Gillette which has every single thing you're clamoring for, and no one goes to the games. Think about it.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:21 am

This is how LSU fans feel about Miles. A good summation:

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/09/coach_o_to_the_rescue_after_bo.html#incart_river_home

And even though he is just Dazzler with 5-star recruits, the program is in such a sorry state, you back up the Brinks truck for him.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:05 am

I don't know if I have seen his name thrown out there and I do realize there was a little craziness in his last stint in the NFL as a head coach but what about Mike Singletary? I know he kind of flaked out with the 49ers but maybe college is a better fit for him.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:45 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:I don't know if I have seen his name thrown out there and I do realize there was a little craziness in his last stint in the NFL as a head coach but what about Mike Singletary? I know he kind of flaked out with the 49ers but maybe college is a better fit for him.

If Baylor wouldn't hire him, why would we? I've never heard him discuss Catholicism, but he's a very evangelical christian. Many of those groups have a strong anti-Papal view and some harsh words for Catholics. I don't think BC should mandate that the Head Football coach be a devout Catholic, but I do think he should be respectful of our traditions (team masses, etc.) and respectful of the University's Catholic mission.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:56 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:I don't know if I have seen his name thrown out there and I do realize there was a little craziness in his last stint in the NFL as a head coach but what about Mike Singletary? I know he kind of flaked out with the 49ers but maybe college is a better fit for him.

Mike Singletary's failures in San Francisco stemmed from the fact that he did not understand that most of his players do not see the field the way he did. Mike is a HOF with incredible football instincts that can't be taught and he couldn't communicate with his players at their level. Were he to come to BC, those same faults would be exacerbated.
Last edited by DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:57 am

As unlikely as it would be for our admin to hire Les Miles, I think it's much more unlikely he'd ever come here. It's like driving a Mercedes for 15 years then getting a Kia
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Everytime you suggest Schiano someone should kick you in the balls as hard as humanly possible.

I'd prefer Daz to Schiano, I've seen both up close.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Turner Gill
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:35 pm

How about we rehire Cowboy Jack Bicknell?? Only on a year to year basis. He brings in Doug Flutie to be OC, and Mike Ruth as DC??? Or if Ruth cant handle it mentally, then how about Matt Richer as DC?? Flutie could take over after a couple of years.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:36 pm

A player-coach model could really boost recruiting.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:48 pm

MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:How about we rehire Cowboy Jack Bicknell?? Only on a year to year basis. He brings in Doug Flutie to be OC, and Mike Ruth as DC??? Or if Ruth cant handle it mentally, then how about Matt Richer as DC?? Flutie could take over after a couple of years.

Romanowski should be our S&C coach.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Chip Kelly

There a are many successful college coaches that for whatever reason, can't coach in the NFL and go back to college with success. Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz, Nick Saban to name a few.

Let's face it, Kelly is not an NFL coach. He sucked with the Eagles. Look at the Eagles now that he left town. The Niners are already getting beaten badly and will continue to suck. At the end of next season it will be obvious. Brad will bring the Sarg back for another year. He should start contacting Kelly during the 2017 season.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:58 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Chip Kelly

There a are many successful college coaches that for whatever reason, can't coach in the NFL and go back to college with success. Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz, Nick Saban to name a few.

Let's face it, Kelly is not an NFL coach. He sucked with the Eagles. Look at the Eagles now that he left town. The Niners are already getting beaten badly and will continue to suck. At the end of next season it will be obvious. Brad will bring the Sarg back for another year. He should start contacting Kelly during the 2017 season.

Out of all the names mentioned, Kelly would be one of the few I would be really excited about.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:27 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Chip Kelly

Out of all the names mentioned, Kelly would be one of the few I would be really excited about.

Or just Ryan Day
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby Iggle on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:33 pm

Ryan Day is Chip Kelly .20, so a perfect hire
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'd prefer Daz to Schiano, I've seen both up close.

This says everything you need to know about eppy's valuation of football coaches... especially since the "up close" likely refers to a shower taken while trying to lead a terrible NFL organization in Tampa.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:07 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'd prefer Daz to Schiano, I've seen both up close.

This says everything you need to know about eppy's valuation of football coaches... especially since the "up close" likely refers to a shower taken while trying to lead a terrible NFL organization in Tampa.

Wait, Schiano joined the EO Coaching staff in the showerroom? When did this happen?!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:12 pm

ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:22 pm

If BC played Wagner and Buffalo at Gillette I would have gone to the game last Sat and this Sat. I like the club seats and the easy access and parking. I went to the BC/UMass game. Comparing BC fan support to UMass fan support makes no sense.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium