2017-18 Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby tallsy on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Mullin's not getting fired. Miss State expects rebuilding years from time to time.

Retreads: Brady Hoke? Tommy Tuberville? A Stoops brother? Derek Dooley? Houston Nutt?
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby flakes on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:14 pm

There is just NO way that anyone who has coached at a better program than BC is ever coming here...i.e. Strong, Miles. Our best hope is getting lucky with an up-and-comer like Taggert...although I think at this point he's probably waiting for a bigger job.

OR we hire a pro assistant who wants to coach in college.

OR we hire the best goddamn MAC coach Leahy can buy.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:29 pm

I still have yet to read on here a better fit than Don Brown, now from the Michigan tree. I would love Chip Kelly, but please no retreads who have already failed with better facilities and better recruiting areas. Leahy is still going to be the President and any NFL assistant is just going to clash with him, unfortunately. Brown was smart enough to get away from Daz. The defense is no where as good as it was last year. He has already won (95-45) at the FCS level and been and a successful DC at the FBS level.

We're not that far off being .500 in the ACC. GT, Pitt, Duke, SU, NC St, Wake, UVA, UNC are all on the same level as BC. It's coaching first and foremost and then facilities. I do believe that not having an IPF does hurt recruiting QB's and WR's, but not having a national recruiting strategy that is well funded is also a major problem. We should be hosting camps at catholic high schools, not waiting for invites from state universities. Once the IPF is built including a new weight room and the outdoor practice fields, facilities will no longer be an excuse.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Nobody could be worse than Chris Crane.
That is all.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:36 pm

I'm going to blow all of your minds. Let's reunite Jags, Logan, and Spaz. #TheBoysAreBackInTown
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Another thing that hurts BC is the increasing pay of assistants. People can wait for a job in good recruiting territory (or an NFL job for assistants there) when they couldn't 10 years ago. Maybe even 5.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:22 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Are people done considering Coughlin. I feel like he was a hot pick around here when he left the Giants.

I'd imagine he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg (in fact, he might be able to claim the job as a charity tax write-off). He could attract some really good assistants, who admittedly the university would have to shell out some serious money for. And he'd be able to recruit.

I feel like he's the only real game-changer out there who could instantly redefine the program. Or at least he's the only one with even a modicum of awareness of the existence of BC football at all.

Did I miss the day we all wrote off this possibility?

Seriously? I thought people were calling for TC in jest. He's 70 years old. Leave him be. The Flutie talk has more of a chance.

Who cares if he's 80. He doesn't have to call plays. The opportunity to work with a two time Super Bowl champion head coach would attract really good up and coming assistants. They can call the plays.

TC is a home run hire, the type that can completely turn around the program in 2 or 3 years. There are no other home run hires that are even in the realm of possibility.

I'd rather an old home run than a possible 5 year success.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:16 pm

the tc / flutie idea is so dumb the mods should institute an autocorrect like they did for baby rapists
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:34 pm

TC is not coming back to BC. He and Leahy would never get along.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:22 pm

I prefer a retread, followed by a rising NFL assistant.

But, if you are going to pretend that BC is going to cut a $10mm check to send a tenured gym teacher off into retirement, then they won't be able to spend ANYTHING on the next coach. This is a school who still can't find someone to donate $5mm to put their name on the IPF. It's folly to think they have the financial wherewithal to eat a $10mm buyout. Nonetheless, if believing in Santa keeps folks from offing themselves... so be it.

A realistic name that would be uber cheap and would jump at the job is Neal Brown. Super young... Umass grad... runs a funky O... is crushing it at Troy... played Clemson very tough.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:45 pm

Honestly the AD thread needs more play.

Bates likely won't be the one picking this up-and-coming, young, energetic, relatable coach.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:49 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:the tc / flutie idea is so dumb the mods should institute an autocorrect like they did for baby rapists

How about TC/Gilbride?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:36 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:the tc / flutie idea is so dumb the mods should institute an autocorrect like they did for baby rapists

How about TC/Gilbride?

This was fantastic
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:09 am

Neal Brown is worth keeping an eye on, but he is very early in his coaching career, year 2 (8-9). You need a lot more data before hiring him to fix BC. Daz looked great with Tyler Murphy beating USC and VT. Negatives, he has never worked at a place like BC with the academic restrictions.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:25 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Neal Brown is worth keeping an eye on, but he is very early in his coaching career, year 2 (8-9). You need a lot more data before hiring him to fix BC. Daz looked great with Tyler Murphy beating USC and VT. Negatives, he has never worked at a place like BC with the academic restrictions.

Fuck the "academic restrictions". I'm so sick of folks (alums/admins/fans) using our supposed wildly unusual academic standards as some sort of crazy hurdle that only can be overcome through penance served at an Ivy League school. It is such a ridiculous thing to worry about. Pick the goddamn best FOOTBALL HEAD COACH. Do NOT try to pick the best husband or father or academic advisor or spiritual mentor or best friend. All these compromises keep creeping into these searches and is perhaps the single biggest factor to us sucking dick like a Thai ladyboy at a Foot/Wolfman Jack-n-Jill shower.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:32 pm

I could not agree more, restrictions just limit your chances at getting a good coach, but that is the way BC operates. Having said that, the WF coach might be a good choice.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:20 pm

There is a big difference in who Clemson and FSU/Miami can admit versus BC, especially under Leahy. There is a reason we have a high grad rate. That said, it is not an excuse for losing.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:14 pm

The most extreme examples happen to be the teams you need to beat to win anything! All of the other reasons you mention I agree with. Given the fact that northeast teams are all bad teams, the odds of BC building a program and winning the ACC are slim to none. It's not just coaching as you point out, it's everything.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:21 pm

The fact that New England creates only a handful of FBS prospects a year is a far bigger restriction than academics.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:24 pm

Agreed. That is why TOB had players from 26 states on the roster. New England is hockey country, our best athletes play hockey and this area produces first round NHL draft picks at a high number.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Thinking that he's also probably waiting for a big job, but Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma?
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Neal Brown is worth keeping an eye on, but he is very early in his coaching career, year 2 (8-9). You need a lot more data before hiring him to fix BC. Daz looked great with Tyler Murphy beating USC and VT. Negatives, he has never worked at a place like BC with the academic restrictions.

Fuck the "academic restrictions". I'm so sick of folks (alums/admins/fans) using our supposed wildly unusual academic standards as some sort of crazy hurdle that only can be overcome through penance served at an Ivy League school. It is such a ridiculous thing to worry about. Pick the goddamn best FOOTBALL HEAD COACH. Do NOT try to pick the best husband or father or academic advisor or spiritual mentor or best friend. All these compromises keep creeping into these searches and is perhaps the single biggest factor to us sucking dick like a Thai ladyboy at a Foot/Wolfman Jack-n-Jill shower.

I don't think academic restrictions can be ignored completely. Its not an admittance issue, its a keeping the kid in school issue. We don't have "general studies" or " apparel housing resource management" and I don't think we have anything like what Stanford had when Harbaugh was building it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Stanford-drops-its-easy-class-list-for-athlete?urn=ncaaf-331860
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:56 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I don't think academic restrictions can be ignored completely. Its not an admittance issue, its a keeping the kid in school issue. We don't have "general studies" or " apparel housing resource management" and I don't think we have anything like what Stanford had when Harbaugh was building it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Stanford-drops-its-easy-class-list-for-athlete?urn=ncaaf-331860

This is basically spot on. I listened to a podcast with Steve Logan a few years ago where he touched on this (cant find the audio now), but his point is that in many cases its about "hiding" kids in the school academically. He kept bringing up Georgia Tech as an example of stashing kids in BS majors. Getting them into school is just a baseline NCAA limit (with limited exceptions i.e. Stanford), but keeping them eligible is the key. With that being said, even at a place like BC, there are places you can accomplish this (communications for one).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:04 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

More than a quarter of the courses on the list did not fulfill university general education requirements.

That's horrible. I get that steering occurs at every D1 school, but to recommend athletes take classes that don't count towards graduation is really fucked up.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:12 pm

The fifth year transfers into the basketball program each of the past two years majored in "Administrative Studies" in the Woods school. If that's not a useless major I don't know what is. I imagine the course catalog involves "How to Transfer a Call" and "Filing Cabinet Methodologies"
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:43 pm

I don't buy the excuse that the Clemson and Miami kids couldn't get into BC, for the sole reason that is wholly inapplicable to our recruiting.

How many kids have we recruited where their final three was anything close to BC,Clemson and Miami. Let's face it, if you are down to say Clemson, FSU, and BC, if you have even a single thought of playing football beyond college then you would never consider BC out of this grouping. If you knew you wanted the academic experience to be taken seriously and play football and football while you are at it, then it would be very strange to have Clemson and FSU as schools you are considering.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:46 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I don't buy the excuse that the Clemson and Miami kids couldn't get into BC, for the sole reason that is wholly inapplicable to our recruiting.

How many kids have we recruited where their final three was anything close to BC,Clemson and Miami. Let's face it, if you are down to say Clemson, FSU, and BC, if you have even a single thought of playing football beyond college then you would never consider BC out of this grouping. If you knew you wanted the academic experience to be taken seriously and play football and football while you are at it, then it would be very strange to have Clemson and FSU as schools you are considering.

what if your dad went to clemson and your mom went to fsu and in spite of all that you were still really smart and wanted to go to bc
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:55 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

BC had such a list in the late 1990s but all of the classes were valid credits toward graduation.
Some of the classses on the list: structures of the universe, religion in Africa, biblical heritage (with saldarini -- now deceased -- RIP) etc.

I took the three of them and probably a few more. All were easy if you were not completely brain dead but all required either a combination of mandatory attendance or papers/weekly assignments. Biblical heritage was the toughest of the three. Structures of the universe was the easiest.

I double majored so I needed joke classes outside my elective to keep the GPA up.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:02 pm

I am sure there have been more quiet cases over the years, but Admissions showdowns with coaches do happen at BC about once a decade. JOB ran into it with Depina and Tyler. Depina somehow survived at UMass and Tyler got into Miami (then a fellow Big East school). A decade later they pulled back the offer from Aboushi because his core classes weren't good, however, the kid somehow got through UVA admissions and stayed eligible four years.

While it might be overstated, admissions is a factor at BC more than most of the schools in our conference. Duke Football might be the only one that puts more pressure on their coach than we do on ours.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:35 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I am sure there have been more quiet cases over the years, but Admissions showdowns with coaches do happen at BC about once a decade. JOB ran into it with Depina and Tyler. Depina somehow survived at UMass and Tyler got into Miami (then a fellow Big East school). A decade later they pulled back the offer from Aboushi because his core classes weren't good, however, the kid somehow got through UVA admissions and stayed eligible four years.

While it might be overstated, admissions is a factor at BC more than most of the schools in our conference. Duke Football might be the only one that puts more pressure on their coach than we do on ours.

You provided 1 example in each sport over 25 years. You also ignore the more recent examples of kids who were taking the SATs days before showing up on campus. It's an issue only if you want it to be.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium