2017-18 Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017-18 Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby ILikeBC on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:33 pm

BoB and Texans could "agree to part ways" if the team suffers an early playoff loss. Would be great for us in the future...maybe...
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:12 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:BoB and Texans could "agree to part ways" if the team suffers an early playoff loss. Would be great for us in the future...maybe...

I can't imagine they part with BOB unless he is the one to blame for signing Brock Osweiler to that ridiculous albatross of a contract.

Buffalo, Niners, Broncos, Jaguars and Colts will be looking for new coaches. Others may as well (Jets, Bears and Cards still seem undecided... there is almost a surprise firing along the way too). For many of these jobs, guys like Kyle Shanahan, Josh McDaniels and Sean McVay will get the call. Wouldn't be surprised if someone backs an armored truck up to entice Gruden or Cowher out of retirement. But, there are a few college coaches that could make the jump. For instance, David Shaw and James Franklin often get mentioned as college coaches for whom the NFL has interest. And, of course, there are the obvious college coaches who are just waiting for the "right opportunity"... Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Until Leahy goes and/or there is a fundamental shift in the BC administration, we are stuck with Daz which makes these coaching candidate threads :clownshoes.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:08 am

If Harbaugh is going to leave Michigan this is a very good year with all of these NFL job openings.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:09 am

When I saw Chip Kelly fired this morning I got excited for a second and then realized with Leahy and Daz's bowl win, we wont get Chip if he agreed to coach for a dollar next year. Being a BC fan sucks.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:04 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Something weird is up with Saban and Kiffin... Suffice it to say, Lane chose the right time to take a head coaching gig...

I interpreted it as Saban wanted him to stay and Kiffin decided he couldn't do two jobs another week.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:48 pm

When you reference Kiffin "poking Saban at every possible turn", I'm assuming you are referring to Kristen.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:23 am

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1840 ... ything-out
This is Chip Kelly sending a message to BC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:29 am

HJS {l Wrote}:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18405581/former-san-francisco-49ers-coach-chip-kelly-rule-anything-out
This is Chip Kelly sending a message to BC.

I would write a fat check today.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Bates should at least call him to see his interest level and price. At the very least it would provide a good reference point as to what a coach at this level would want and expect out of BC. It can't hurt to inquire.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:58 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:No way Bates still has the authority to do anything related to hiring/firing coaches

Fixed
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Bates should at least call him to see his interest level and price. At the very least it would provide a good reference point as to what a coach at this level would want and expect out of BC. It can't hurt to inquire.

The sad fact of the matter is that NO ONE at BC is considering Chip Kelly to be the next football coach. I am sure they are content with Coach Thinskin cracking the rock and improving the throw game for next year. It is really incredibly depressing.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:39 pm

This is why we need BC people running BC. We need our grads who share our passion for and belief in all things BC!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:47 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:This is why we need BC people running BC. We need our grads who share our passion for and belief in all things BC!

This approach is a double-edged sword. Sometimes, it is important to gain new perspective and ideas from people who have no emotional connection to the program.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:53 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:This is why we need BC people running BC. We need our grads who share our passion for and belief in all things BC!

This approach is a double-edged sword. Sometimes, it is important to gain new perspective and ideas from people who have no emotional connection to the program.

or, in the case of buttcut, no emotions whatsoever
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 15 minutes ago
Eagles denied Jets permission to interview their QB coach John DeFilippo for offensive coordinator job, per league source.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagles denied Jets permission to interview their QB coach John DeFilippo for offensive coordinator job, per league source.

I'd take JDF on the BC staff over Louis Addazio.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:49 pm

I agree, I don't think it is as important as many squawk about. Case in point, the Board of Trustees. They are mostly alums and have proven time and time again to not give a shit about athletics resulting in BC being left decades behind the rest of the country.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

It would be really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really funny if JDF interviewed for the Jets job anyway, didn't get offered the job, then got fired by the Eagles.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

It would be really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really funny if JDF interviewed for the Jets job anyway, didn't get offered the job, then got fired by the Eagles.

I see what you did there, and I like it.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

DeFillippos like to work the media like no one else. How often do you hear about position coaches not getting permission to talk as news? It is not news but JDF probably gossips like his daddy, so the media wants to keep him happy and do him a favor.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:57 pm

There are Trustees that do care about athletics and having a BC alum as AD pushing for facility improvements like Chet use to do would be immensely helpful. These non alum AD's don't give a shit if the teams win or lose other than enough to keep their overpriced jobs. This goes for the President as well, they're all outsiders that have zero passion for BC athletics. An alum would have that undergraduate experience that becomes a life long connection to the university, it instills pride in everything one's university undertakes. We have all outsiders now in the administration and things suck big time.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:There are Trustees that do care about athletics and having a BC alum as AD pushing for facility improvements like Chet use to do would be immensely helpful. These non alum AD's don't give a shit if the teams win or lose other than enough to keep their overpriced jobs. This goes for the President as well, they're all outsiders that have zero passion for BC athletics. An alum would have that undergraduate experience that becomes a life long connection to the university, it instills pride in everything one's university undertakes. We have all outsiders now in the administration and things suck big time.

corners is on to something.

two words - setti warren
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:There are Trustees that do care about athletics and having a BC alum as AD pushing for facility improvements like Chet use to do would be immensely helpful. These non alum AD's don't give a shit if the teams win or lose other than enough to keep their overpriced jobs. This goes for the President as well, they're all outsiders that have zero passion for BC athletics. An alum would have that undergraduate experience that becomes a life long connection to the university, it instills pride in everything one's university undertakes. We have all outsiders now in the administration and things suck big time.

The is a very small number of people who fit into the category of "knows how to manage a D1 athletic department." There are a smaller number of those people who are really good. If you are going to further limit the search to alumni, then there may not be any viable candidates.

[this is where you say, "oh yeah? What about Doug Flutie?"]
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

The is a very small number of people who fit into the category of "knows how to manage a D1 athletic department." There are a smaller number of those people who are really good. If you are going to further limit the search to alumni, then there may not be any viable candidates.

[this is where you say, "oh yeah? What about Doug Flutie?"]

or jerry york.

or chet gladchuk

or amy poehler

or bob ryan/mike lupica

or jack ryan

or dr. jason seaver. wait, he's dead... or maggie seaver

or joe hackett... or even one of his fraternity brothers

or the guy that tried to recruit stefen djordjevic

or rick kuhn

or paul grant

i don't know what you're talking about, rev. i came with that list off the top of my head, and i don't even like sports
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:31 pm

:vader
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}::vader

what connection does ace frehley have to boston college?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:06 pm

I'd prefer someone that does not have a connection to BC.

Don't take this the wrong way but making BC successful at athletics isn't brain surgery and I don't have a ton of faith lately in anyone associated or previously associated with the school.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

I'd take JDF on the BC staff over Louis Addazio.

If he really does hire his son at least I can yell at him during games about how much he sucked as a player.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Gladchuk was the perfect guy for BC. You can find plenty of BC grads more than capable of being the AD.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium