2017-18 Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:10 pm

And that is exactly what Don Brown brings, Intensity!

Western Kentucky????? An unproven Pat's assistant that has not coached in college in how many years, if ever?

Only morons would compare DB with Spaz. He needed a double espresso to wake up for noon games!

TC, BOB or Chip Kelly = home runs, but stop dreaming they are not coming with Leahy still here. Get realistic and think Don Brown. Forget MAC coaches and southern assistants and get a guy who is currently coaching at the P5 level with great success. Dino at SU has never heard of the defensive side of the game. I still have to see a better option than DB.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:04 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:I hate Spaz for many reasons but the thing that gets me on a week-to-week basis is this: no one can argue that teams like Syracuse and Iowa State have recruited much better players than us, yet those teams are scoring 30+ points on Baylor and ND. Of course those teams don't have great defenses, but can you picture this team and staff putting up 30+ on either of them? We need a MASSIVE overhaul in offensive philosophy so I will take any coach that doesn't use 3 TEs on 80 percent of plays. I wonder if WKUs Jeff Brohm would ever come to BC or if he's waiting for a bigger job.

Our issues on Offense are not about talent. It is about coaching. Syracuse has the opposite problem from us. They can score, but their players are clueless on D.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:57 pm

There is most definitely talent problems on BC's offense and SU's defense. Start with the Oline, how many will make the NFL? The WR's might develop with time, but they are not 4 star WR's. SU's has a DB that is sbout 5'6", they are horrible against the run and the pass.

This is not all coaching, the lack of talent magnifies the coaching mistakes. Just watch the other coaches and with the exception of Nick Saban, they all make dumb calls, but their talent turns the next play into a TD. There is a reason every northeast team sucks.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:01 pm

There is a lot of fucking stupidity in this thread. And coming from me that should really tell you something.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:53 am

hansen {l Wrote}:There is a lot of fucking stupidity in this thread. And coming from me that should really tell you something.

I think the stupidity drops tenfold if you block Corners' posts.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:36 pm

I think PJ Fleck would do great here.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Washington OC Jonathan Smith?

I assume Lincoln Riley will get a better job than BC.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:36 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Washington OC Jonathan Smith?

I assume Lincoln Riley will get a better job than BC.

No on Smith. Peterson's assistants have been crap once they leave Peterson.

I like RIley, but wouldn't want to take a risk on him. He's never recruited, played or coached at any place like BC. There are other coordinators out there who have more relevant experience, where coming to BC wouldn't be such a huge culture shock for them.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

2018 Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:49 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:15 am

Barring a stars aligning event that lands BOB or Chip (ain't gonna happen), you have to make a decision on which avenue you are going to take in 2018. Do you (a) "stay within the family" with an assistant from the failed staffs of Spaz or Daz, (b) do you hire a retread or (c) do you hire a young up-and-comer trying to grab a few good years before they move on to bigger and better things.

For me, (a) is a nonstarter. I don't want anything to do with the taint of an assistant of one of these buffoons. A perceived up-and-comer carries significant risk. Those guys fail miserably more often than they succeed. If you are certain that you have the next Tom Herman, you absolutely pull the trigger. But, I have no faith that a BC administration who just hired Spaz and Daz (and Don and JC) is capable of magically tapping the next rising star.

One thing that is important about the next hire is that it should be clear that this isn't what is viewed as a final destination. Assistants and head coaches do best when they are striving for something. TOB's and Jag's first staffs were hungry and thought they were hitching a ride to an upwardly mobile coach. Out next coach should be viewed similarly.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:52 am

I'll take a MAC hire if it's Fleck. Other than that I want Venebles or Sanford
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:33 am

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:I'll take a MAC hire if it's Fleck. Other than that I want Venebles or Sanford

Get in line, he'll most likely go to a much bigger program. He's got Waistertern Michigan ranked and flying high.

I know everyone has always been so gung ho on Al Golden. Is that still the case? He flopped at the U but was that because he really wasn't a fit? I've never understood the love affair with him but the more I think about it, he may actually be the right guy.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eagletx on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:45 am

First let's off BB.....obviously.

My dream is still to get TC here as AD; he knows BC and what it would take from a coaching perspective to win. I would put faith in his coaching choice. He also has the cache to strong arm big donors to do what needs to be done to the programs infrastructure.

It's only a dream. But still....
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:54 am

al golden has no interest in boston college
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:26 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:al golden has no interest in boston college

He has talked to BC every time the job has opened in the last ten years. How do you know he is not interested now?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:41 am

I know I've been saying there's no way BC fires Daz this year but if he keeps losing to ACC teams by 40+ points I think the BoT will step in.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:49 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

He has talked to BC every time the job has opened in the last ten years. How do you know he is not interested now?

I asked him
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:02 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I asked him

Perhaps, saying a terse "no" was the quickest way to end the conversation.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:10 am

I like Golden because he is a good recruiter and is on the younger side (as we seem to exclusively go for the over-50 crowd). I do not thing he is perfect. Far from it (see his 3-4 D). But, I like the idea of a decent retread. I think he's good enough to bring us stability and consistent 8 win seasons. I also think Golden was a TERRIBLE fit in Miami (but he did assemble talent for a top 10 team).

If we aren't going retread, I want an up-and-coming NFL assistant who wants to springboard to an NFL head coaching gig.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:14 am

Are people done considering Coughlin. I feel like he was a hot pick around here when he left the Giants.

I'd imagine he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg (in fact, he might be able to claim the job as a charity tax write-off). He could attract some really good assistants, who admittedly the university would have to shell out some serious money for. And he'd be able to recruit.

I feel like he's the only real game-changer out there who could instantly redefine the program. Or at least he's the only one with even a modicum of awareness of the existence of BC football at all.

Did I miss the day we all wrote off this possibility?
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:49 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I know I've been saying there's no way BC fires Daz this year but if he keeps losing to ACC teams by 40+ points I think the BoT will step in.

this.

i've been in the 'he's not getting fired this year'. combination of daz getting support from those beyond big nose, $$ owed, the fact that this dept just gave a guy who went 0-18 an extension, etc.

i think he's venturing on dangerously thin ice.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:11 am

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:I'll take a MAC hire if it's Fleck. Other than that I want Venebles or Sanford

Even if Fleck showed interest, Bates would fuck it up and hire Bela Fleck by mistake.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:15 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I know I've been saying there's no way BC fires Daz this year but if he keeps losing to ACC teams by 40+ points I think the BoT will step in.

this.

i've been in the 'he's not getting fired this year'. combination of daz getting support from those beyond big nose, $$ owed, the fact that this dept just gave a guy who went 0-18 an extension, etc.

I am off the Daz train because of the failures at OL and recruiting, his so called specialties. That said I would not replace him without a home run hire. I would even reach out and gauge interest before giving him the ax. If you are just going to promote PP, dont bother. If he loses every ACC game and it leads to a real coach, so be it. If he doesnt win the UConn game though, he should be burned (not in effigy) in the quad.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:20 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

this.

When has the BOT ever shown that they gave a flying fuck about athletics? The ran Greg Barber out of the school for the mere suggestion that the Board get more involved.

Here's the thing... so long as they aren't involved, they can't be blamed. Pretty simple.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:23 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Are people done considering Coughlin. I feel like he was a hot pick around here when he left the Giants.

I'd imagine he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg (in fact, he might be able to claim the job as a charity tax write-off). He could attract some really good assistants, who admittedly the university would have to shell out some serious money for. And he'd be able to recruit.

I feel like he's the only real game-changer out there who could instantly redefine the program. Or at least he's the only one with even a modicum of awareness of the existence of BC football at all.

Did I miss the day we all wrote off this possibility?

Seriously? I thought people were calling for TC in jest. He's 70 years old. Leave him be. The Flutie talk has more of a chance.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:28 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I am off the Daz train because of the failures at OL and recruiting, his so called specialties. That said I would not replace him without a home run hire. I would even reach out and gauge interest before giving him the ax. If you are just going to promote PP, dont bother. If he loses every ACC game and it leads to a real coach, so be it. If he doesnt win the UConn game though, he should be burned (not in effigy) in the quad.

It's this for me (minus the Yukon corallary). I don't think he is the answer... never have. I just have no interest in hiring yet another compromised guy who "gets BC" because he worked for someone we fired. Just doesn't make sense wash-rinse-repeat ever 4-5 years.

If you find someone who is a homerun, make the change. But, the last hires made by the university are Spaz, Don, Daz and Jimmy Mac... why in the fuck do folks think we have any shot of breaking that streak this year or next?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:34 am

I'm on the record for always hiring the biggest and best name available, probably Les Miles at this point. I'd live with Al Golden or even Jags. If much prefer the NFL assistant as opposed to a college coordinator or MAC head coach. I have no faith in BC getting anything correct.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby tallsy on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Fleck's personal issues may cause problems and he might get a bigger gig.

The cultural fit issue is important but really limits the candidates (it essentially kills off the Sumlin tree), which brings us back to NFL, Big10 coordinators and the MAC. I just don't think BC can take the risk on a NFL lifer with the possible exception of PCJ. That's why I'm clinging to Taggart's two years at Stanford.

Top Candidates as I see it.

1. Strong
2. PCJ
3. Fleck
4. Golden
5. Taggart
6. Drevno
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagletx on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:54 pm

Dan Mullin may be out of a job soon; maybe he'd like to return to his NE roots.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:39 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:Dan Mullin may be out of a job soon; maybe he'd like to return to his NE roots.

The college retread list is going to be really long when we have an opening. I think that is the best path for BC and something we haven't done really ever.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium