2017-18 Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Reverend Mike on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Tedwardinho

ool

I've been avoiding this thread because I assumed there were many terrible suggestions (e.g. Flute) and I was correct.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:48 pm

South from Gillette takes you to 495, just loop back into Boston via Rt 95 or 24. Took me 40 minutes to get back into Boston. Night games are tougher because like BC everyone leaves at the same time. You just have to know your way around Foxborough or tailgate for 3 hours after the game!

The facility is much nicer than BC and the parking is 1000 times easier to deal with. You can actually park together and not worry about fucking parking passes or a ton of cops harassing you. I could care less about traffic if BC built a top 20 program playing at Gillette. BC is very inaccessible by car without a parking pass. The Needham shuttle is gone and the only available on street parking is Hammond Pond Parkway. I think Gillette will help attract better recruits and more fans. BC is never going to put any money into Alumni Stadium. Tear it down, keep the field and make it the IPF attached directly into Yawkey with new locker room, players lounge, making it a first class practice facility in every way. At least our practice facilities with grass fields on Shea will no longer be a negative in recruiting. I just do not see BC putting 100 million to upgrade Alumni or even 50 million under Leahy.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Jesus Fucking Christ corners.. no.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:09 pm

Playing at Gillette is the worst. With a horrible team, one of the few positives about going to a BC game is returning to campus. Pro stadiums and college football are like oil and water for me. Takes a lot of the fun out of it.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:South from Gillette takes you to 495, just loop back into Boston via Rt 95 or 24. Took me 40 minutes to get back into Boston. Night games are tougher because like BC everyone leaves at the same time. You just have to know your way around Foxborough or tailgate for 3 hours after the game!

The facility is much nicer than BC and the parking is 1000 times easier to deal with. You can actually park together and not worry about fucking parking passes or a ton of cops harassing you. I could care less about traffic if BC built a top 20 program playing at Gillette. BC is very inaccessible by car without a parking pass. The Needham shuttle is gone and the only available on street parking is Hammond Pond Parkway. I think Gillette will help attract better recruits and more fans. BC is never going to put any money into Alumni Stadium. Tear it down, keep the field and make it the IPF attached directly into Yawkey with new locker room, players lounge, making it a first class practice facility in every way. At least our practice facilities with grass fields on Shea will no longer be a negative in recruiting. I just do not see BC putting 100 million to upgrade Alumni or even 50 million under Leahy.

To a degree that is what Pitt did. They tore down old Pitt Stadium, built the basketball arena on its site along with massive upgrades to practice facilities and moved the home games downtown to the Ketchup bottle. Now downtown Pittsburgh is closer to the Pitt campus than Gillette is to BC and overall moving college games off site is not a good thing for many of the reasons stated here, but BC has the worst game day experience in college football. Anything other than Alumni in its current incarnation is an upgrade. I wouldn't be totally against it. If Fenway had better site lines I wouldn't be opposed to moving home games there. I would play Fenway games on Friday and Saturday nights. You are in Kenmore Square, the game is over by 9ish and you still can go into downtown Boston or stay around Yawkey Way after the game. All of that is better than taking the T to Chestnut Hill and hanging around there with nothing to do afterwards (no tailgating, no amenities by the stadium,....nothing)
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:56 pm

westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:South from Gillette takes you to 495, just loop back into Boston via Rt 95 or 24. Took me 40 minutes to get back into Boston. Night games are tougher because like BC everyone leaves at the same time. You just have to know your way around Foxborough or tailgate for 3 hours after the game!

To a degree that is what Pitt did. They tore down old Pitt Stadium, built the basketball arena on its site along with massive upgrades to practice facilities and moved the home games downtown to the Ketchup bottle. Now downtown Pittsburgh is closer to the Pitt campus than Gillette is to BC and overall moving college games off site is not a good thing for many of the reasons stated here, but BC has the worst game day experience in college football. Anything other than Alumni in its current incarnation is an upgrade. I wouldn't be totally against it. If Fenway had better site lines I wouldn't be opposed to moving home games there. I would play Fenway games on Friday and Saturday nights. You are in Kenmore Square, the game is over by 9ish and you still can go into downtown Boston or stay around Yawkey Way after the game. All of that is better than taking the T to Chestnut Hill and hanging around there with nothing to do afterwards (no tailgating, no amenities by the stadium,....nothing)

Pitt and Miami are both worse than BC right now.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby durkcal on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:20 pm

I think the best choices for our next head football coach should have the ability to develop a good passing game, as well as a demonstrated ability to win close games. That will help win back a depleted fan base. :bag Nothing is worse for fan morale than playing boring football in addition to losing all the close games.

The realistic candidates I can think of that, to some extent, appear to possibly be candidates that can do address some or all of these concerns are:

Jason Candle - Toledo
Mike Norvell - Memphis (ASU criticism is an obvious thing to address)
Ken Niumatalolo - guy wins close games, I think he could adapt to developing a passing game
PJ Fleck
Willie Taggart
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:31 pm

ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:41 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:Image

If looks could kill...
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Somebody who pays attention to this stuff: would Charlie Strong come here? Would he work here?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:07 pm

No to Charlie Strong. I don't want a guy who can't win at Texas.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Somebody who pays attention to this stuff: would Charlie Strong come here? Would he work here?

Same thoughts re: Vince Lombardi if anyone knows
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Somebody who pays attention to this stuff: would Charlie Strong come here? Would he work here?

No and maybe
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Brent Venables
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:13 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Brent Venables

*checks first post of thread*
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:20 pm

was it the 5 missed extra points today that appealed to you?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:24 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

was it the 5 missed extra points today that appealed to you?

I feel like Strong would remind people of Addazio.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:10 pm

Taggart and Fleck had big wins today.

Matt Luke, the co-OC at Ole Miss, was at Duke for a few years so he knows how to recruit kids who can read. I think Strong would do fine here. He had more success at Louisville than Addazio had at Temple.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:21 pm

Taggart is 33-44 as a head coach. I don't get the interest.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:54 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Taggart and Fleck had big wins today.

Matt Luke, the co-OC at Ole Miss, was at Duke for a few years so he knows how to recruit kids who can read. I think Strong would do fine here. He had more success at Louisville than Addazio had at Temple.

Strong had Bridgewater, not comparing apples-to-apples.

People can knock Fleck's dumb motivational shit, but it works
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:40 pm

None of those coaches would be a good fit for BC. We're not a southern school, we will never recruit a lot of southern kids. Totally different culture at Louisville and Texas.

Don Brown is still the best choice especially given that Leahy will probably be here for another 5 years.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:13 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Strong had Bridgewater, not comparing apples-to-apples.

People can knock Fleck's dumb motivational shit, but it works

If you inherit a player (Jags/Ryan or TOB/RussWill) you can possibly handicap a coach's success. However, you can't dismiss someone from winning with good players when he was the one who recruited them.

Charlie Strong would do fantastically here. He rebuilt UL after Kragthorpe flamed out... and he did it deliberately and lauded for taking the time to do it the "right" way. Texas is essentially a pro job who demands coaches who win immediately. I never thought Strong was a fit there. I have to assume with Art Briles available, it is only a matter of time for Charlie.

Fleck and Taggart both show potential, but they are compete rolls of the dice. Can they make the jump to a Power 5? Maybe. But, can they be successful at the worst Power 5 program??? That's really the question.

At this point, unless you find a way to hire Chip Kelly, Bill O'Brien or Tom Coughlin... you aren't making BC instantly relevant. Outside of that, the best you can do is either (a) choose a retread who is a safe bet to getting BC to a consistent stream of 7-wins (which sadly is a major accomplishment at this point) or (b) buy a lottery ticket with a young unproven coach hoping that you've found the next Tom Herman.

For the record, after Jags, Spaz and Daz... sign me up for a retread who can bring consistent (if not spectacular) winning. It is from that rebuilt foundation that I would hope to hire a dynamic coach who could push the program to new heights. Essentially, I'm not willing to live with another cheap, unproven, newly-minted head coach who is breaking some eggs and needs another 3-4 years to rebuild before he can start winning.

All that said, since this is academic anyway, I think that BC would do well hiring a minority head coach if a quality one was willing to take the gig.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:05 am

Louisville and Texas are completely different in every way from BC. I still don't buy your theory that because Strong supposedly re-built Louisville and is struggling with top talent at Texas that he would be a big success at BC. Petrino built the foundation at UL.

I do agree with you that BC's options are very limited. Forget about making a national splash with Leahy in control. No way TC or Chip Kelly will work for Leahy. That is why I say that Don Brown is the most realistic coach for BC. The only reason we get any respect now is because of the defense he built. He is 95-45 as a HC, he knows BC inside and out and he can work with Leahy. He might only get the team back to 7-8 wins, but at least he will build a foundation and get us past Leahy's reign of terror. He might also build an offense as good as his defense. DB can flat out coach and no one can deny that he would be a huge upgrade over Daz.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:30 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}: Forget about making a national splash with Leahy in control. No way TC or Chip Kelly will work for Leahy. That is why I say that Don Brown Frank Spaziani is the most realistic coach for BC. The only reason we get any respect now is because of the defense he built. He knows BC inside and out and he can work with Leahy. He might only get the team back to 7-8 wins, but at least he will build a foundation and get us past Leahy's reign of terror. He might also build an offense as good as his defense. DB Spaz can flat out coach and no one can deny that he would be a huge upgrade over Daz Jags.

It's nice that Corners can just regurgitate the same posts every 8 years.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:34 am

I don't know how one could figure out who a 7-win coach might be and don't agree with that approach. Find the best guy for the job.

Perhaps Brian Daboll. 11 seasons with the Patriots and was offensive coordinator with the Chiefs and Dolphins. University of Rochester grad so not a complete moron. Sure, some former Patriots' assistants have been unsuccessful as a head coach, but other than Charlie Weis, that was at the NFL level.

http://www.patriots.com/team/coaches/ro ... ian-daboll
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:21 am

I hate Spaz for many reasons but the thing that gets me on a week-to-week basis is this: no one can argue that teams like Syracuse and Iowa State have recruited much better players than us, yet those teams are scoring 30+ points on Baylor and ND. Of course those teams don't have great defenses, but can you picture this team and staff putting up 30+ on either of them? We need a MASSIVE overhaul in offensive philosophy so I will take any coach that doesn't use 3 TEs on 80 percent of plays. I wonder if WKUs Jeff Brohm would ever come to BC or if he's waiting for a bigger job.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:36 am

This formation fucking sucks and whoever invented it should go coach in the 20s.

TE TE LT LG C RG RT TE
---------------QB

---------FB

---------------TB
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:23 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:I hate Spaz for many reasons but the thing that gets me on a week-to-week basis is this: no one can argue that teams like Syracuse and Iowa State have recruited much better players than us, yet those teams are scoring 30+ points on Baylor and ND. Of course those teams don't have great defenses, but can you picture this team and staff putting up 30+ on either of them? We need a MASSIVE overhaul in offensive philosophy so I will take any coach that doesn't use 3 TEs on 80 percent of plays. I wonder if WKUs Jeff Brohm would ever come to BC or if he's waiting for a bigger job.

This board is getting dumber by the day, almost as dumb as using 3 TEs who all blow at blocking
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This formation fucking sucks and whoever invented it should go coach in the 20s.

TE TE LT LG C RG RT TE
---------------QB

---------FB

---------------TB

This was impressive EO Art
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:36 pm

Al Groh and Chan Gailey were supposed to be retreads that "guaranteed" 7 wins. I don't think that's feasible given the intensity required to be a successful college head coach. To use a cliche, you're either growing or dying. Any hire represents risk. IMO, better to miss with someone trying to inject some life into the program.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium