2016-2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016-2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Don Brown understands how to win in New England and the kids love his energy, plus he fits within our budget. I would take Don Brown over twelve Bill O'Briens or nineteen Willie Taggarts. The original dude!
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Don Brown understands how to win in New England and the kids love his energy, plus he fits within our budget. I would take Don Brown over twelve Bill O'Briens or nineteen Willie Taggarts. The original dude!

ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 pm

looks like it is contagious
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:49 am

Bronco might be available.
http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id ... ve-culture

And, giving the revelation of "ramming", I gotta think TRE would be a big advocate of him replacing Dazoo.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:37 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Bronco might be available.

And, giving the revelation of "ramming", I gotta think TRE would be a big advocate of him replacing Dazoo.

i don't live in the central time zone. i think you have me confused with another ram man
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Has Addazio killed any chance of Rhule ever being considered for the BC job ? He's at least young and has a grasp of offense in this century
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:10 pm

That's just dudes being dudes wrestling dudes in the nude. Nothing wrong with that.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

That's just dudes being dudes wrestling dudes in the nude. Nothing wrong with that.

TC had the guys wrestling when he was here. Great story of Greg Grice suplexing David Gordon (pre Kick).
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:10 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Has Addazio killed any chance of Rhule ever being considered for the BC job ? He's at least young and has a grasp of offense in this century

You watched Temple's offense?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:24 pm

Ogeron's success is good for us. Not that BC and LSU would be looking at the same candidates, but with one less job available, there could be a domino effect.

If Fleck comes here rather than Purdue, do we get "Row the Boat" or does that stay with WMU?
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:54 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Has Addazio killed any chance of Rhule ever being considered for the BC job ? He's at least young and has a grasp of offense in this century

You watched Temple's offense?

They're averaging 34 points and 400 yards per game. Don't know what you're looking for above and beyond that. He's young, has NFL experience, college HC experience, and is a good recruiter. Golden and Addazio essentially failing at their post Temple stops is unfortunately a black mark (fairly or not) for Rhule
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Rhule should be considered if he produces winning seasons at Temple. You have to be concerned not just about the offense, but also the defense. We need a complete coach.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:09 pm

You don't need a complete coach. The best coaches are the ones who pick good assistants and then let them do their job. TC, TOB and Jags both had success while delegating mightily to their assistants. If you are going to micromanage, you better be some sort of football savant. Spaz and Daz are both cut from the same cloth in that they think that they need to interject themselves into everything. The problem is that neither were intelligent at any level and, as a result, would fuck-up whatever they touched.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:29 pm

TC was a complete coach because he knew defense was important and he hired a very good DC in Szabo. Brian Kelly to me is not a complete coach because he really does not care about defense. I like to see a coach who's team plays defense versus one who tries to win games 48-45.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:35 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I like to see a coach who's team plays defense versus one who tries to win games 48-45.

Then, don't fire Daz... his offense is an extension of the defense. You also should not have fired Spaz who was a reknowned DC who built his teams around the defense while head coach. Bicknell, TC, Henning and Jags/Logan were all offense-first guys.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 am

Spaz was not my favorite DC, too much bend but don't break. You can't just focus on one side of the ball, you need to be good on both sides.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:16 am

You win games by scoring more points than the other guy, and then getting some athletes to try to slow the other guy down from doing the same.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:39 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Brian Kelly to me is not a complete coach because he really does not care about defense.

The year they went to the MNc their defense was ranked 8th in the nation...
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:39 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Brian Kelly to me is not a complete coach because he really does not care about defense.

that's because their opponents were terrible and they were a paper tiger, as proven in the MNC
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:48 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

that's because their opponents were terrible and they were a paper tiger, as proven in the MNC

Their schedule wasn't that bad. They played ranked opponents in Stanford, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Michigan. They also played bowl teams in Navy, Pitt, Purdue, USC and BYU, and Miami would have been a bowl team without the self imposed ban. BC and Wake were their only two truly shitty opponents.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:51 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:TC was a complete coach because he knew defense was important and he hired a very good DC in Szabo. Brian Kelly to me is not a complete coach because he really does not care about defense. I like to see a coach who's team plays defense versus one who tries to win games 48-45.

I'm sure Kelly would love to win 48-0. What basis do you have for making this retarded argument that he does not care about defense? (for others, I understand that this is eaglekeeper we're talking about).

Would he have fired his DC if he didn't care? Is the defense costing him games and he still seems to not care?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:46 pm

He has elite talent at ND and his defenses still suck. His best year and he got exposed for the one trick pony that he is by Alabama
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:He has elite talent at ND and his defenses still suck. His best year and he got exposed for the one trick pony that he is by Alabama

I wouldn't mind BC getting exposed in the national championship game. :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

Their schedule wasn't that bad. They played ranked opponents in Stanford, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Michigan. They also played bowl teams in Navy, Pitt, Purdue, USC and BYU, and Miami would have been a bowl team without the self imposed ban. BC and Wake were their only two truly shitty opponents.

Michigan State ended the season unranked at 7-6 (and Michigan barely at 24). And a 7-5 Miami/USC, 6-6 Pitt and Purdue, and Navy/BYU is a shitty schedule, regardless of the fact that they made Bowls.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:33 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

Michigan State ended the season unranked at 7-6 (and Michigan barely at 24). And a 7-5 Miami/USC, 6-6 Pitt and Purdue, and Navy/BYU is a shitty schedule, regardless of the fact that they made Bowls.

No, that's not really a shitty schedule by any measure. No one thought they had a chance to win the title, but that's good schedule. Stanford went 12-2, beat Wisconsin the Rose Bowl and beat #2 and #1 during the season. OU went 11-3 with a Cotton Bowl loss to TAMU. ND's schedule was good because after two NY Day BCS teams, they played EIGHT more bowl teams.

That ND team was overrated, but they beat some good teams that season. That Michigan team's losses were to #2 Bama, #11 ND, #4 Ohio State, #11 South Carolina and AT Nebraska. USC has a weird season, but early on they were ranked 1/2.

I think ND is irrelevant, that that team wasn't that great, and that I made some cash knowing they were going to get crushed, but their schedule was not really that bad. Playing BC dragged it down a bit, we can agree on that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:02 pm

Brian Kelly is in over his head at Notre Dame and certainly deserves to be fired. With that said, swapping him for the Dazzler would be the equivalent of moving from Ryan Air to a private G6. Kelly would be the best coach we have had since TC--yes, objectively I think he is better than Jags. I think he could upgrade our pathetic recruiting and would turn us into a respectable program in a year or two. The problem is that I have no desire to have Notre Dame's sloppy seconds. The smarter thing to do would be to go get PJ Fleck. Assuming Fleck is the next coming of Urban Meyer as some in the college football world have suggested, then BC would be Fleck's version of Utah on his way to a Baby Rapist program. Even still, you probably will get 3 or 4 good years out of him before he moves on and the program will be in very good shape when he leaves. The problem is that our administration sucks so badly that I doubt we would give Fleck the resources he will need and so we will be stuck with another low rent Eye-Tie as a football coach. Let the John Bonamego Era begin (he's a even a Maine graduate so it is good for New England)!
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:25 pm

More attractive jobs will start opening up as the season winds down and comes to an end. Any up and coming coach (or any coach) with P5 options other than BC will go elsewhere. They'll all want a situation with better facilities and a better support structure than BC can offer.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:29 pm

yep. jags has been gone a long LONG time. the stale smell of below average fills the halls and hovers over all of campus. you'll need to overpay any candidate to come here relative to their actual market value. sure, that's what we did with slaughter so clearly that's not the only step. i wonder if eddie fogler has any football coaches in his rolodex
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:32 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:More attractive jobs will start opening up as the season winds down and comes to an end. Any up and coming coach (or any coach) with P5 options other than BC will go elsewhere. They'll all want a situation with better facilities and a better support structure than BC can offer.

Like filled-in corners, luxury suites, and a bar in the north end zone concourse sponsored by Budweiser?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:45 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:More attractive jobs will start opening up as the season winds down and comes to an end. Any up and coming coach (or any coach) with P5 options other than BC will go elsewhere. They'll all want a situation with better facilities and a better support structure than BC can offer.

Like filled-in corners, luxury suites, and a bar in the north end zone concourse sponsored by Budweiser?

More along the lines of, during the interview, at least being able to point to a construction site and tell a candidate there's the IPF we're building for the football program. Instead we'll point to our awesome baseball field and say that's where were going to build the IPF but we're not sure when, probably a couple of years out if we raise the money.
eagle33
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium