2016-2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2016-2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Postby HJS on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:33 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/dr-sa ... 25116.html
Congrats to Bates for having BC athletics so unimportant that Daz's failures aren't considered failures. Note the article doesn't think Wake's sleepy fanbase would be willing to suffer another year under Clawson.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: 2016-2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:05 pm

That list loses all credibility without Charlie Strong at the top of it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:15 pm

FWIW, collegefootballnews.com has Daz 5th in its hotseat rankings, between Mike Riley and Mike MacIntyre

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/col ... t-rankings
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Darrell Hazel fired at Purdue. Been there only 3 years.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:47 pm

MIdseason firings used to be unheard of. It's amazing how much college football has changed in such a short time.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:57 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:MIdseason firings used to be unheard of. It's amazing how much college football has changed in such a short time.

Midseason football changes are dumb unless...
(A) there is some sort of contract bonus looking to avoid
(B) there is a specific coach you want to target ahead of everyone else
(C) there is an assistant you want to give a chance
(D) your head coach is causing actual harm like harboring rapists or punching out offensive coordinators
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:MIdseason firings used to be unheard of. It's amazing how much college football has changed in such a short time.

(D) your head coach is causing actual harm like harboring rapists or punching out offensive coordinators

ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:28 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I think Al Washington would be a strong replacement candidate for any BC head coach opening. Always found it bizarre that folks would whore after Ryan Day when I would much prefer Al. The problem is that he has never been a coordinator... which leaves open the question as to whether he would be a good administrator (which is a chunk of your job as head coach). That said, I think BC could do much, much worse (and probably will).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:45 pm

I oppose mid-season firings in football. But if they fire Daz after the Cuse game, I hope they have an actual name they want to get a head start on.

I'm fine with mid-season firings in hoops because the season's longer and there's the lottery shot that you could do something in conference play or ACC tournament.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:25 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I think Al Washington would be a strong replacement candidate for any BC head coach opening. Always found it bizarre that folks would whore after Ryan Day when I would much prefer Al. The problem is that he has never been a coordinator... which leaves open the question as to whether he would be a good administrator (which is a chunk of your job as head coach). That said, I think BC could do much, much worse (and probably will).

It isn't much, but he is special teams coordinator right now
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Rumor emanating from certain BC circles:

Bill O'Brien interested in the job. This has a few tentacles. First, Bates isnt being renewed. Addazio is out, and Fr Leahy is going to retire soon. Enter O'Brien, who is a local guy and has a child with some medical problems, which explains the interest given The Campus School and the hospitals in this area.

Intriguing, no??
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:14 pm

MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:Rumor emanating from certain BC circles:

Bill O'Brien interested in the job. This has a few tentacles. First, Bates isnt being renewed. Addazio is out, and Fr Leahy is going to retire soon. Enter O'Brien, who is a local guy and has a child with some medical problems, which explains the interest given The Campus School and the hospitals in this area.

Intriguing, no??

I think everyone here would love this, but O'Brien is coming off of two 9-7 seasons and is 4-2 so far this year. He is not going to be available and BC won't be able to pay for him to leave
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Intriguing, no??

'I like being head coach of an NFL team in a football obsessed city after being head coach at a football (and boy) obsessed university. But if only there were medical and educational facilities in this godforsaken place they call "Texas." Off to BC!"
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Intriguing, no??

This rumor is 100% true... in late December 2011.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Intriguing, no??

Perhaps Jiggsie gets the AD job? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:47 pm

BOB to BC! LMFAO! I'm sure he will be happy with a 4-6 million annual pay cut!

Get realistic, this is fucking BC we are talking about. They will hire some unproven, bull shit artist who will kiss their ass and tell them how great it was when BC was the only school to vote against increasing the player stipends!

The best available coach who we already know has done a great job at BC, will not complain about the lack of facilities or academic standards and will accept working for 1.75 million is (drum roll) Don Brown!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:BOB to BC! LMFAO! I'm sure he will be happy with a 4-6 million annual pay cut!

Get realistic, this is fucking BC we are talking about. They will hire some unproven, bull shit artist who will kiss their ass and tell them how great it was when BC was the only school to vote against increasing the player stipends!

The best available coach who we already know has done a great job at BC, will not complain about the lack of facilities or academic standards and will accept working for 1.75 million is (drum roll) Don Brown!

Right, I'm afraid, on several scores. Just not sure Don Brown would make the splash needed at this desperate point -- in recruiting and fan interest. But given the likely Leahy-sanctioned alternatives...

TC as interim AD or coach might make the difference. At my age I want dramatic, near-term improvement. That goes for BBall too.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:14 am

you saying this piece of white bread doesn't inspire confidence?

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:25 am

Go big or go home.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:25 am

#beadude
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:39 am

Completely unrealistic, but it falls in the home run/program changing category. We can only hope that he has personal reasons or the Texans tank, and that the administration is suddenly inspired to truly invest to the tune of $3-4m per year.

But yeah, Texas in general and Houston in particular has some of the nations best medical centers. So, yeah...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:19 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Completely unrealistic, but it falls in the home run/program changing category. We can only hope that he has personal reasons or the Texans tank, and that the administration is suddenly inspired to truly invest to the tune of $3-4m per year.

But yeah, Texas in general and Houston in particular has some of the nations best medical centers. So, yeah...

Does the administration realize, buy cheap, get cheap. They are losing more money by not spending on a big name. I was going to be in Boston this weekend and was debating not going to the game, which has never happened. Just on a small level like that, 4 tickets, 4 dogs, 4 soda, 2 pretzels, 2 pizzas and a hundred at the book store. Thats the minimum I get away with evey time I visit. Multiply that by every empty seat.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:56 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Completely unrealistic, but it falls in the home run/program changing category. We can only hope that he has personal reasons or the Texans tank, and that the administration is suddenly inspired to truly invest to the tune of $3-4m per year.

Does the administration realize, buy cheap, get cheap. They are losing more money by not spending on a big name. I was going to be in Boston this weekend and was debating not going to the game, which has never happened. Just on a small level like that, 4 tickets, 4 dogs, 4 soda, 2 pretzels, 2 pizzas and a hundred at the book store. Thats the minimum I get away with evey time I visit. Multiply that by every empty seat.

Our admin simply doesn't care... and neither do the alums (beyond the 6 or 7 that post here).

Inertia and indifference has set in. There are really only 2 ways forward for the FB and BB programs... either pay for a big-time, huge name head coach (i.e. Chip Kelly or Bill O'Brien)... or hire a young gun that will use the program as a stepping stone (Neal Brown or Willie Taggart).

Anything else is just BC cycling through futility. Don Brown, Ryan Day, Mark Whipple... whatever terrible idea that Leahy or Bates or marineagle would pursue.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:04 pm

the next person that suggests don brown as the next boston college head coach of football will be banned for a day in attempts to prevent them spreading their retardation to other posters. it has not been scientifically proven whether or not gross retardation is contagious and i'm not willing to find it out to the detriment of one of our non-retarded posters. not here. not on my watch.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:06 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the next person that suggests don brown as the next boston college head coach of football will be banned for a day in attempts to prevent them spreading their retardation to other posters. it has not been scientifically proven whether or not gross retardation is contagious and i'm not willing to find it out to the detriment of one of our non-retarded posters. not here. not on my watch.

Seconded.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the next person that suggests don brown as the next boston college head coach of football will be banned for a day in attempts to prevent them spreading their retardation to other posters. it has not been scientifically proven whether or not gross retardation is contagious and i'm not willing to find it out to the detriment of one of our non-retarded posters. not here. not on my watch.

Seconded.

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:06 pm

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:29 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:34 pm

What about Bud Foster?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:37 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

What about Bud Foster?

I dont care if it was Wade Garret and Al Swearengen as OC.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium