The Struggle for Ticket Sales Goes Continues...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: The Struggle for Ticket Sales Continues...

Postby AdamBC on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:41 pm

Received this fantastic e-mail today:

My name is Justin Williams and I’m the assistant director of outbound ticket sales for Boston College Athletics. I’m emailing you to provide a unique opportunity for the upcoming 2011 football season. This season we have a new section dedicated to our young alumni located in the lower level endzone right next to the BC student section, and season tickets are only $150 per seat. Since you have graduated within the past 10 years, you are also eligible for parking and tailgating spots for 50% off the regular donation amount (i.e. Shea Field would be only $1,750 instead of $3,500). You are such a big part of the BC family we want to offer you these discounts so you can come back to Boston College and enjoy another outstanding football season. Please call me back at 617-552-0145 to ensure you receive the young alumni discounts for season tickets and a parking pass before the offer comes to an end for this season. I look forward to our conversation and securing the perfect prime location for you.

Sincerely,
Justin Williams

Justin Williams | Athletic Outbound Ticket Sales | Boston College
office: 617-552-0145 | fax: 617-552-2525
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby joesim on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:41 pm

[/quote][/quote]

+5[/quote]

how the hell has your karma improved so much lately? you've gone from -1200 to -900 in like a week...[/quote]

this might sound weird but i always wondered how to increase my karma
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby AdamBC on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:43 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:

how the hell has your karma improved so much lately? you've gone from -1200 to -900 in like a week...

The first rule of karma is you don't ask for karma.

The second rule of karma is to say something witty and hope people press the green thumbs up on your post.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:58 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:

+2. I admire your tenacity and utter disrespect for the rules of Karma Club.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:59 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:Received this fantastic e-mail today:

My name is Justin Williams and I’m the assistant director of outbound ticket sales for Boston College Athletics. I’m emailing you to provide a unique opportunity for the upcoming 2011 football season. This season we have a new section dedicated to our young alumni located in the lower level endzone right next to the BC student section, and season tickets are only $150 per seat. Since you have graduated within the past 10 years, you are also eligible for parking and tailgating spots for 50% off the regular donation amount (i.e. Shea Field would be only $1,750 instead of $3,500). You are such a big part of the BC family we want to offer you these discounts so you can come back to Boston College and enjoy another outstanding football season. Please call me back at 617-552-0145 to ensure you receive the young alumni discounts for season tickets and a parking pass before the offer comes to an end for this season. I look forward to our conversation and securing the perfect prime location for you.

Sincerely,
Justin Williams

Ah, so this is where Communications majors go to work after graduating BC.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:19 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:

Sincerely,
Justin Williams

Don't get me wrong - if I was like many of the nerds then this pitch might work on me (and why did it take so damn long to get a young alum section anyway?) but since I'm disappointed in the direction the football program is headed, it's falling on deaf ears.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:24 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

Sincerely,
Justin Williams

Don't get me wrong - if I was like many of the nerds then this pitch might work on me (and why did it take so damn long to get a young alum section anyway?) but since I'm disappointed in the direction the football program is headed, it's falling on deaf ears.

Hey, it worked on me. We bought a Shea spot for this year. I just find the term "outstanding football" to be out out of place when talking about BC lately.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:57 pm

BC Football defines mediocrity since :spaz2 took over.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
joesim {l Wrote}:

how the hell has your karma improved so much lately? you've gone from -1200 to -900 in like a week...

The first rule of karma is you don't ask for karma.

+5
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:40 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:Don't get me wrong - if I was like many of the nerds then this pitch might work on me (and why did it take so damn long to get a young alum section anyway?) but since I'm disappointed in the direction the football program is headed, it's falling on deaf ears.

I think they had this a few years back but they put it in the north endzone instead of adjacent to the student section in the south endzone, and it was not advertised very well. And by "very well," I mean at all. I remember getting to my seats Opening Day and the "Alumni Superfans" section sign staring me in the face across the field and asking myself "WTF is that?"
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:59 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

Sincerely,
Justin Williams

when did shea field drop from $5k to $3,500? was that this year... and now they are cutting it even further than that.

this place will be dook football in no time

I think I noticed the Shea price drop for the '09 season.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:59 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:
joesim {l Wrote}:

+2. I admire your tenacity and utter disrespect for the rules of Karma Club.

"You can't sell that! Karma can only be portioned out by the cosmos."
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:18 am

I've received several of these e-mails. If these people work for the ticket office, wouldn't they know I have already been suckered into 2 seasons tickets and funding a full-priced tailgate? Do some quick cross-checking for christsake and go after some people who have not already ponied up significant amounts of money to watch a boring product alongside the Phantom of the Conte.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:28 am

Does :pickle realize that this whole young alumni shea pass could absolutely backfire and blow up in their face if people are treated the same way they have the past few years? Getting a bunch of recent grads to donate money and get a tailgate spot for the first time is great for revenue, but these people are going to want to have fun and will not put up with the shit that made shea passes not worth it the past few years.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:Does :pickle realize that this whole young alumni shea pass could absolutely backfire and blow up in their face if people are treated the same way they have the past few years? Getting a bunch of recent grads to donate money and get a tailgate spot for the first time is great for revenue, but these people are going to want to have fun and will not put up with the shit that made shea passes not worth it the past few years.

He and Spaz will die eventually.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:25 am

I think Shea was a lot better last year in terms of treatment from the cops. They weren't even pushing the 30mins before kickoff very hard. They lightened up a lot and I have to believe they will again this year. You can smell the fear from the ticket office
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby Mosi on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:07 pm

i just heard the beep and got this email:

Dear Football Season Ticket Holder,

Thank you for renewing your season tickets for the 2011 football season. With first-team All-American Luke Kuechly leading our defensive unit, and first-team All-ACC running back Montel Harris looking to run wild we are all extremely excited about the upcoming season. We know you are passionate about BC and will be with us at Alumni Stadium to support our team, but we want everyone to experience a Boston College football game day. We ask you to reach out to the people within your community and put together a group outing at a BC football game. Whether you are putting together an office outing or rounding up your youth football team we can provide you tickets to a Boston College Football game at the affordable price of $15 per ticket, for a group of 20 or more people and your group will have endzone seating.

As a thank you for putting together a group, or for referring us to a group leader we will provide you with a special edition autographed Boston College football mini helmet. In order to receive your Boston College mini football helmet please inform the group leader that he needs to reference your name at the time of booking the event. In addition, to the discounted tickets your group will be welcomed on the video boards, of Alumni Stadium, throughout the game and we will take a group photo and send it to you as a memento of the day you created.

Our team has been working hard all year and the student-athletes are ready for the season-opener against Northwestern on September 3, a game that will be featured on ESPNU. With your help we can make sure that Alumni Stadium is full of BC fans for the first home game of the season, the final home game against NC State, on November 12, and all the games in-between.

If you have any questions or to register your group please call the Outbound ticket office at 617-552-0145 or send an email to justin.williams.2@bc.edu.

GO BC!

2011 Boston College Group Ticket Days

September 3 – Northwestern, Scout Day

September 17 – Duke, Military Appreciation Day

September 24 – UMASS, Spirit Day (Band and Cheerleaders)

October 1 – Wake Forest, Parents Weekend

November 12 – NC State, Youth Day

Sincerely,

Justin Williams

by the way I still haven't RENEWED my season tickets :titanic
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Just heard an ad for BC football on 98.5 for the first time. This is significant because:

1) 98.5 is WEEI's competition and knocked them off the ratings perch this spring. If you don't know, WEEI has exclusive radio rights to BC football and men's hoops.
b) The ad was not voiced-over by John Meterparel (BC's radio play-by-play guy) and did not make my ears bleed (unlike the ads featuring Meterparel on WEEI)
iii) It is a sign they are actually trying new things.

That said, the email sent to season ticket holders paints a scary picture.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:54 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Just heard an ad for BC football on 98.5 for the first time. This is significant because:

1) 98.5 is WEEI's competition and knocked them off the ratings perch this spring. If you don't know, WEEI has exclusive radio rights to BC football and men's hoops.
b) The ad was not voiced-over by John Meterparel (BC's radio play-by-play guy) and did not make my ears bleed (unlike the ads featuring Meterparel on WEEI)

I saw an actual commercial on NESN the other night during a Sox game. I was shocked.

Also, my g/f received the above email thanking her for renewing her season tix, which she has not done this year either.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Just heard an ad for BC football on 98.5 for the first time. This is significant because:

One of the primary statements in the ad says something like "BC Football, where there's no offseason and every day is gameday" or something like that. Huh? Last I checked, there is a long "offseason" and gamedays couldn't even be called "gameday" since it's one of the weakest gameday experiences I've ever experienced. The attempt is there, so that's better than what was previously out there.

BC should really get away from WEEI and that clown, Meterparel. WEEI has always mocked BC - one of the reasons I switched away from them the day 98.5 went on the air. With that said, nobody at 98.5 respects BC either, especially not Felger, who has influenced Mazz to jump on the anti-BC bandwagon.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:15 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:One of the primary statements in the ad says something like "BC Football, where there's no offseason and every day is gameday" or something like that. Huh? Last I checked, there is a long "offseason" and gamedays couldn't even be called "gameday" since it's one of the weakest gameday experiences I've ever experienced. The attempt is there, so that's better than what was previously out there.

BC should really get away from WEEI and that clown, Meterparel. WEEI has always mocked BC - one of the reasons I switched away from them the day 98.5 went on the air. With that said, nobody at 98.5 respects BC either, especially not Felger, who has influenced Mazz to jump on the anti-BC bandwagon.

I agree that neither station gives a ton of love to BC, but I don't think it's all hate, either. Felger is shrewd. He's a BU guy and that may make him hate BC, but that's not the reason he talks about it on the air. He (and Mazz) talk about it on the air because it plays well with the lowest common denominator that drives the calls into the show and the ratings. The barstoolsports.com crowd. When Lapham was interning at 98.5, he gave tickets to the '09 FSU game to Fred Toucher from the morning show, and Fred went on the radio the following Monday morning and talked about how much fun he had, how he went to MA's before the tailgating lots opened, etc... He also talked about going to a couple more games during the 2010 season. Zolak and Gresh are kind of neutral on BC.

I prefer 98.5 over WEEI, but I wouldn't mind WEEI keeping the BC broadcasts if they were willing to dump Meter. I'm sure Gene's train of thought is that Meter brings the program some exposure on a highly rated morning talk show, but the problem is that he's a punchline and nobody takes him seriously when he talks about the team. It's hard to believe a team that once had local legends like Lobel and Santos calling their games now has this joker.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:00 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

"BC Football, where there's no offseason and every day is gameday"

But Gene told me that Monday through Friday specifically are NOT gameday because we try to be Harvard.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 pm

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:09 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-08-05-college-outsourcing-sports-ticket-sales_n.htm

5 other ACC teams on that list, BC is not alone...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:20 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-08-05-college-outsourcing-sports-ticket-sales_n.htm

Good read, thanks
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:39 pm

I saw a comercial for BC football tickets on ESPN just before noon today. It was surprising to see since BC usually buys TV time slots like Sunday 6am on NECN.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:26 pm

I came across a BC billboard on the automile in Norwood today. A for effort this year.

Win some fucking games.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:13 pm

I saw a BC football billboard driving south on 128 near Newton Highlands - it even had the season schedule on it.

At Costco (where I did not see IB), they had a BC cornhole game as well as a BC tailgating table for sale near the entrance. Would have bought it but pretty sure the staties would confiscate them because you can have fun with them.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:27 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:I saw a BC football billboard driving south on 128 near Newton Highlands - it even had the season schedule on it.

At Costco (where I did not see IB)

How do you know for sure?

Its possible you did see me but just didn't know it was me.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:46 am

h2o {l Wrote}:I saw a comercial for BC football tickets on ESPN just before noon today. It was surprising to see since BC usually buys TV time slots like Sunday 6am on NECN.

Imagine what you could lower the tailgate prices to, if you didnt advertise and just made tailgaters buy 4 season tix.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium