The Struggle for Ticket Sales Goes Continues...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: The Struggle for Ticket Sales Continues...

Postby fs33 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
fs33 {l Wrote}:Does anyone know the price of grad student tickets? is it worth it or is easier to just buy the day of?

I don't know the actual costs, but if you plan on attending most or all of the home games, I would think the student discount makes it worth it. But you should be able to get a non-student ticket to each game on the schedule for $20, so crunch the numbers and figure out what works best for you.

Thanks. I dont have my student ID yet so I cant see the prices on the website. I was hoping someone knew from last year or had already gone that route.
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
gene's minion {l Wrote}:
I want to follow up about the opportunity to get discounted football tickets for student-athlete alumni. Unfortunately, this deal did come to an end Friday of last week; however, I want to make sure you are able to take advantage of this. If you give me a call before the end of the week, I can lock you into these seats for the upcoming football season.

Just to briefly outline this opportunity, you are eligible to sit in donor based seating, which requires a donation of $750-$1,000 donation per seat, on top of the cost of the ticket. Since you were an athlete here, we want to show our appreciation for all of your support and offer these tickets at the flat rate of this section. For only $300 per seat you could be a season ticket holder in section S, C or Q and you can get up to four seats.

Another advantage to these sections is the new cushioning on these seats that are being put in this year. This is not something we have tried in the past, but is certainly a great addition to our stadium. 

Also, you would have first chance to renew the following year with the same offer. Based on the demand for those seats we have already receieved (because of the 2012 schedule) these tickets will be very limited. All around, this is a great deal and I wouldn't want you to miss out.

You can reach me at 617-552-xxxx and I would be happy to help set you up over the phone.

Thanks,
Gene's minion

As someone who has sat in S for around 10 years, let me say that I do not care if they gave former varsity student athletes a shot at extra seats without the Donation. That said, if I donated at my regular rate like I have done in previous seasons (I didn't), I would be ripshit over the enticements given to every other group (half-price Shea Field for young alums, free DBS for alum athletes, etc.). Whereas, with the regular tried and true donors... there was nothing but a "thanks for your continued support".
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:28 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
fs33 {l Wrote}:Does anyone know the price of grad student tickets? is it worth it or is easier to just buy the day of?

I don't know the actual costs, but if you plan on attending most or all of the home games, I would think the student discount makes it worth it. But you should be able to get a non-student ticket to each game on the schedule for $20, so crunch the numbers and figure out what works best for you.

I think it all depends, my senior year it was $20 per ticket which I assume was the rate for grad students. Now I pay $25/ticket and sit in the upper endzone.

If you think you are going to miss any games, it's worth it to go game by game. I renew because I am a sheep that likes BC athletics despite :spaz2 & :pickle
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby joemack13 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Last week the athletic department called me asking once again if i'd like to renew my season tickets, and that I had one more day before they release my seats. Meanwhile I thought the deadline was april 15th. sounds pretty desperate - they're pretty good for non-dbs though so there may still be opportunities to get better seats opening up
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:39 am

Does anyone here have honest to goodness proof or evidence that DBS were offered at a discount (that is to say, without the "seating license" requirement)? And I do not mean the "Gold Alumni" promotion. As a DBS ticket holder, I have contacted BC with concerns re: their promotions, and have been invited to a meeting to discuss my concerns.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:50 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:Does anyone here have honest to goodness proof or evidence that DBS were offered at a discount (that is to say, without the "seating license" requirement)? And I do not mean the "Gold Alumni" promotion. As a DBS ticket holder, I have contacted BC with concerns re: their promotions, and have been invited to a meeting to discuss my concerns.

I think Hansen has the email from them for former athletes.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:Does anyone here have honest to goodness proof or evidence that DBS were offered at a discount (that is to say, without the "seating license" requirement)? And I do not mean the "Gold Alumni" promotion. As a DBS ticket holder, I have contacted BC with concerns re: their promotions, and have been invited to a meeting to discuss my concerns.

please live-blog this meeting for us if you go.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 am

The question is... what are they going to do with all those DBS seats that went unsold? They either have to give them away at a discount or leave them empty. If they give them away at a discount, they need to address the issue with the suckers (I am among them) who paid full price.

I said, last year, that they had to know that this year's tix sales would suck balls. They should've reached out to the regular donors and told them that any donation they make this year carries forward to next. Or, at least, 50-75% carry forward to next. But... they didn't. They just offered that weak "Gold Alum" nonsense and then held out their hand waiting for the died-in-the-wool fans to hand over their money. Their actions this year were akin to DBSing the long-time donors.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:49 am

How about getting a license to use the fields by the res and throw a pre-tailgate BC party. Sort of like the spring game activities. People would have a place to go and to bring their kids and it might get the community involves. You can do it for the Sept games before the weather gets cold.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 am

Well... they have that family thing in the Plex. It's actually pretty good for young kids.

BC's problems were brillinatly itemized in the David Glenn piece:
1. We don't compete at the elite level such that any game is a can't miss.
2. We have terribly limited parking space which means that you must donate to park within walking distance of campus.
3. Tailgating is too limited in time and too restrictive in enforcement.

The first issue is in total purview of GDF's Athletic Dept.
The second issue is a major challenge taht offers no easy answers. My suggestion is that they use all of the Seminary as a massive parking lot (but initially prohibit tailgating to appease the neighbors)). Nonetheless, solutions are going to be hard to come by because of the geographic uniqueness of Alumni Stadium.
The third issue is very much in their control. They have always had the ability to fight for longer tailgating time. They simply choose not to use political capital to do so (mainly because the money was streamining in regardless). It will be interesting to see if they are so constrained next year (after this year's numbers were some of the worst ever). As for the conduct of the Troopahs, once again... entirely in their control. BC sets the rules and the condones the treatment of donors. They simply cannot outsource it and then look the other way. How about sitting down with Mayor Setti Warren... telling him that tailgating will be 5 hours before and after... and then saying that BC will pay Newton the millions it costs to police on gameday (as opposed to handing it over to the Staties)?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:17 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Well... they have that family thing in the Plex. It's actually pretty good for young kids.

2. We have terribly limited parking space which means that you must donate to park within walking distance of campus.

The second issue is a major challenge taht offers no easy answers. My suggestion is that they use all of the Seminary as a massive parking lot (but initially prohibit tailgating to appease the neighbors)). Nonetheless, solutions are going to be hard to come by because of the geographic uniqueness of Alumni Stadium.
The third issue is very much in their control. They have always had the ability to fight for longer tailgating time. They simply choose not to use political capital to do so (mainly because the money was streamining in regardless). It will be interesting to see if they are so constrained next year (after this year's numbers were some of the worst ever). As for the conduct of the Troopahs, once again... entirely in their control. BC sets the rules and the condones the treatment of donors. They simply cannot outsource it and then look the other way. How about sitting down with Mayor Setti Warren... telling him that tailgating will be 5 hours before and after... and then saying that BC will pay Newton the millions it costs to police on gameday (as opposed to handing it over to the Staties)?

#3 is a biggie that would help alot. Give alums a reason to come back to campus and get together with friends rather then meeting in town.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:34 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Well... they have that family thing in the Plex. It's actually pretty good for young kids.

#3 is a biggie that would help alot. Give alums a reason to come back to campus and get together with friends rather then meeting in town.

The reality is that #1 or #3 solve most of the problems. Combine them, and we are talking tens of millions pouring into the Flynn Fund. It is simple supply and demand. BC permanently has limited supply... only a stadium of 44,500... parking for less than 10,000. But, Gene has ruined the product and literally driven down the demand so far that it miraculously outweighs the limited supply.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}:3. Tailgating is too limited in time and too restrictive in enforcement.

First off, this is NOT a "prove it!" post, but where do you get this info from? The cities have been completely stingy with any type of entertainment licenses and also don't want to back BC for fear of the neighborhoods rallying against them (losing political capital themselves in the process). I want to believe you're right on this one and that GDF and crew are carrying the cowardly lion syndrome into this problem as well, but there are still factors present that make me believe their hands are tied here at least to some extent. I'd love nothing more than to have something to cite to blow their "woe-is-us-because-of-the-city-restrictions" line out of the water and start a real campaign to move towards that change.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:55 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:3. Tailgating is too limited in time and too restrictive in enforcement.

First off, this is NOT a "prove it!" post, but where do you get this info from? The cities have been completely stingy with any type of entertainment licenses and also don't want to back BC for fear of the neighborhoods rallying against them (losing political capital themselves in the process). I want to believe you're right on this one and that GDF and crew are carrying the cowardly lion syndrome into this problem as well, but there are still factors present that make me believe their hands are tied here at least to some extent. I'd love nothing more than to have something to cite to blow their "woe-is-us-because-of-the-city-restrictions" line out of the water and start a real campaign to move towards that change.

Well... there is simply no way to PROVE anything unless you are a member of the negotiating team. I think the best you can do is look at the actions of those making decisions.

1. It has been documented a TRILLION of times that the rules imposed and enforcement thereof have gotten more and more draconian during GDF's watch. I think that alone is evidence of the lack of concern (nay disdain) for tailgating (and the gameday experience).
2. I think that this past season, while sales slumped, the Troopahs seems to take it a little easier than in the past.
3. We currently have a 2.5-hour (3 minus .5) tailgating window which is an improvement over our previous 2-hr window (which means that the towns are willing to play ball).
4. No tailgating restrictions (as far as time) GREATLY reduces traffic. When folks know they have all day to tailgate, they will organically arrive on campus at a time of their choosing. Instead, the current system has constrains everyone to arrive and leave at the same time... causing the clogged streets the neighbors often complain about.

Once again... let's see what next year brings. I'm willing to bet that there will be some change made (because now they have a motivation).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:21 am

Why not get the community involved, have a fair in the area on game days, do something to divert attention and look like you are giving to the community.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Well... there is simply no way to PROVE anything unless you are a member of the negotiating team. I think the best you can do is look at the actions of those making decisions.

1. It has been documented a TRILLION of times that the rules imposed and enforcement thereof have gotten more and more draconian during GDF's watch. I think that alone is evidence of the lack of concern (nay disdain) for tailgating (and the gameday experience).
2. I think that this past season, while sales slumped, the Troopahs seems to take it a little easier than in the past.
3. We currently have a 2.5-hour (3 minus .5) tailgating window which is an improvement over our previous 2-hr window (which means that the towns are willing to play ball).
4. No tailgating restrictions (as far as time) GREATLY reduces traffic. When folks know they have all day to tailgate, they will organically arrive on campus at a time of their choosing. Instead, the current system has constrains everyone to arrive and leave at the same time... causing the clogged streets the neighbors often complain about.

Once again... let's see what next year brings. I'm willing to bet that there will be some change made (because now they have a motivation).

1. This could also be evidence of the neighboorhood becoming more and more organized against BC...which it has.
2. IIRC, the department put out a bulletin or such that said they had heard about concerns about the aggressiveness of the police force (may have been through that extensive questionnaire last summer - I know I put it in mine) and that BC had taken steps to ensure they were more polite/less rude. There absolutely was a more "chill" attitude from them this past season. Maybe it was previous mixed signals about what their job entailed, but either way it seems like they addressed it when the issue was raied en masse.
3. Yes there was an improvement in expansion of tailgating times...which goes directly against your point in #1.
4. I concur, have raised this issue here before, and have personally made sure the administration knows when addressing other issues to them.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:03 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

1. This could also be evidence of the neighboorhood becoming more and more organized against BC...which it has.
2. IIRC, the department put out a bulletin or such that said they had heard about concerns about the aggressiveness of the police force (may have been through that extensive questionnaire last summer - I know I put it in mine) and that BC had taken steps to ensure they were more polite/less rude. There absolutely was a more "chill" attitude from them this past season. Maybe it was previous mixed signals about what their job entailed, but either way it seems like they addressed it when the issue was raied en masse.
3. Yes there was an improvement in expansion of tailgating times...which goes directly against your point in #1.
4. I concur, have raised this issue here before, and have personally made sure the administration knows when addressing other issues to them.

1. The "no playing games of any kind" is not the grounds for any license... nor is "only people with tix can access Shea".
2. The police behavior has been happening for over a decade. Whatever rules BC established, the Troopahs would enforce absolutely. As GDF added more rules, more opportunities for conflict arose. THAT is the reason for the increase in complaints... and the cause for an edict.
3. I don't think it is in conflict. While we've gotten a whole 30 minutes more, the experience has gotten much worse. I would rather tailgate for 2 hours under the rules in place when GDF got here.
4. The administration has long known this. I simply do not believe they have had any motivation to change things up. More tailgating means more money for Troopahs and staff and more chance for someone drinking to oblivion an disgracing the school via YouTube or Newton Police Blotter. When money is pouring in IRREGARDLESS of the experience, why change things up??? That is why I think things will be a little different next go around.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:41 am

But the real reason a growing minority of Boston College fans have begun to make noise about the direction of the program is the lack of excitement generated by its head coach both on the field and in the media. The addition of new offensive coordinator Kevin Rogers should help take care of the on the field portion of things, but Spaz has never been one for boastful predictions of BCS glory, he doesn't pander to the media and yes, he's prone to trying to quell rising expectations, but would it kill him to at least try and excite the fan base a little?

He learned from the master.

http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-college-eagles/2011/7/27/2292437/frank-spaziani-boston-college-football-acc-media-day-2011
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:22 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
But the real reason a growing minority of Boston College fans have begun to make noise about the direction of the program is the lack of excitement generated by its head coach both on the field and in the media. The addition of new offensive coordinator Kevin Rogers should help take care of the on the field portion of things, but Spaz has never been one for boastful predictions of BCS glory, he doesn't pander to the media and yes, he's prone to trying to quell rising expectations, but would it kill him to at least try and excite the fan base a little?

He learned from the master.

http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-college-eagles/2011/7/27/2292437/frank-spaziani-boston-college-football-acc-media-day-2011

Thanks - good article. I wish the local newspapers put the heat more on Spaz and the AD. So sick of nothing but puff pieces.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 am

The quotes are damning:

Spaz arrived casually late and left curiously early, seemingly uninterested in putting his face out there to promote the program the way so many of his colleagues have done in the past.

BC fans as a whole are not particularly boisterous, aren't prone to swarming message boards on the web and don't travel in droves the way fans of many of the elite schools do, which gives way to the idea that there simply aren't very many of them. This is simply not true. :fam

But the real reason a growing minority of Boston College fans (thats us) have begun to make noise about the direction of the program is the lack of excitement generated by its head coach both on the field and in the media.

Following in the lofty footsteps of the departed Jagodzinski, it is in this regard that Spaz has been an unmitigated failure during his tenure as coach.

Another poor season could mean long term damage to the program in both ticket sales and recruiting.

He was chosen to be the head coach over a number of other (some would say better qualified) candidates such as former BC staffers Mike London, Al Golden and Randy Edsall.

I think a lot of guys on this board feel the exact same way and would have written the same piece.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:33 am

It really is an excellent piece and covers much of what the majority on this board feels about :spaz3
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:44 am

Excellent article.

I plan to politely forward the article to "Coach Flip" immediately. anyone have his public email address handy?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:06 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:gene.d@bc.edu

you can't post that without posting the alternate (especially since it actually works)

coach.flip@bc.edu
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:56 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Excellent article.

I plan to politely forward the article to "Coach Flip" immediately. anyone have his public email address handy?

If you get a response let me know. I hope he also realizes this, as much as we do.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Mosi on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Spaz was on for an inning with Costig and O'brien during todays Sox KC game

he sounded like he just woke up from his nap

trust me if you thought that NiQuil's offence was boring, you shoulda heard this

if this was FSG/BCAA's idea to drum up excitement, forget it, i had 4 emails from other people listening asking if it was him (it was) no life at all

we're fucking doomed

he made Toby sound exciting
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Sent.

Please keep this article in mind after we lose 5k more season ticket holders due to total apathy. Please also remember that becoming bowl-eligible is not enough for people to pay thousands of dollars to park in a garage for 2 hours of harrassment-filled tailgating.

http://boston.sbnation.com/boston-colle ... a-day-2011
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:40 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:

Sent.

Please keep this article in mind after we lose 5k more season ticket holders due to total apathy. Please also remember that becoming bowl-eligible is not enough for people to pay thousands of dollars to park in a garage for 2 hours of harrassment-filled tailgating.

+2
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:

Sent.

+5
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:35 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

Sent.

+5

how the hell has your karma improved so much lately? you've gone from -1200 to -900 in like a week...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium