Patience...patience....patience

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

How long before a coach returns a program to true competitiveness?

4 Years
38%
5 Years
13%
6 Years
19%
> 6 Years (forgettaboutit'!)
31%

Total votes : 16

Re: Patience...patience....patience

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:40 am

sarge also said flutie looked good at qb in the spring last year so... there's that.

maybe he evaluated flutie's skills from a natick curb at 1:30 in the morning
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:45 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:sarge also said flutie looked good at qb in the spring last year so... there's that.

THERE WAS NO CURB!!!

#googlemaps
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:12 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Can't see how anybody could complain about bringing in Towles.

I'm not complaining that Sarge brought in Towles. I'm complaining that Sarge has failed to groom a QB who is ready to take the ball in Dublin in 3+ years on the job.

Sarge is insuring his job security by playing the odds, it's fine as long as Wade doesn't transfer. The link between Sarge's own self preservation and the avoidance of re-Spazification is my favorite thing about Sarge.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby ckoub01 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:43 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Can't see how anybody could complain about bringing in Towles.

I'm not complaining that Sarge brought in Towles. I'm complaining that Sarge has failed to groom a QB who is ready to take the ball in Dublin in 3+ years on the job.

Sarge is insuring his job security by playing the odds, it's fine as long as Wade doesn't transfer. The link between Sarge's own self preservation and the avoidance of re-Spazification is my favorite thing about Sarge.

If Wade transfers because of a Towles-led 7 win campaign to the St. Petersburg Bowl, it'll be the worst possible scenario. Sarge saves his skin + promotes the progress being made and BC will remain stuck for another cycle of underperforming underclassmen QB or 5th year transfer for 2017.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Translations:
1). "I blame Daz because BC didn't have one upperclassmen QB on the roster last year due to Spaz not recruiting one in his last two years."
2) "I blame Daz because his first QB recruit he brought in in 2014 was injured for the year and thus not able to be groomed in 2015."
3) "I blame Daz for not being able to recruit at QB in 2015 who would be ready to step in and only require a few months of grooming before starting in the ACC."

Either way, this is unfair.

With that said, if we start Towles this year and next year the QB situation is still a disaster, then and only then will you have a case for failure to groom. Because then we're talking Wade, Smith and Brown -- all decent recruits with some experience -- being unprepared. That would unquestionably be a failure to groom.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:17 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Translations:
1). "I blame Daz because BC didn't have one upperclassmen QB on the roster last year due to Spaz not recruiting one in his last two years."
2) "I blame Daz because his first QB recruit he brought in in 2014 was injured for the year and thus not able to be groomed in 2015."
3) "I blame Daz for not being able to recruit at QB in 2015 who would be ready to step in and only require a few months of grooming before starting in the ACC."

With that said, if we start Towles this year and next year the QB situation is still a disaster, then and only then will you have a case for failure to groom. Because then we're talking Wade, Smith and Brown -- all decent recruits with some experience -- being unprepared. That would unquestionably be a failure to groom.

Smith is a WR
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:22 pm

ckoub01 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

If Wade transfers because of a Towles-led 7 win campaign to the St. Petersburg Bowl, it'll be the worst possible scenario. Sarge saves his skin + promotes the progress being made and BC will remain stuck for another cycle of underperforming underclassmen QB or 5th year transfer for 2017.

Wade will be a redshirt sophomore this year. So even if he's the backup he'll still have to years of eligibility to be the starter. Incentive not to transfer.

Also, despite some fan discontent, by all accounts the players like Daz and like playing for him. With Spaz you expected every under-utilized upperclassmen to transfer. Not so much with Daz.

With that said, the biggest factor will be the OL. I imagine Wade didn't like trying to play QB behind that line last year. If the line continues to be a disaster this year, maybe he'd be wise to transfer... Unless he likes injuries...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Translations:

Smith is a WR

Oh, I know. I'm acknowledging that decision as a major liability for Daz assuming neither Wade not Brown can be effective in 2017 after a year of Towles.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:32 pm

On the Smith transfer to WR decision though, the one reason it makes sense is that Smith was most likely the biggest transfer risk. With Wade returning, Brown coming up, and especially with Towles. Smith as a #3 this year and possibly Brown supplanting him in 2017 for #2, it's almost 100% he would've transfered.

Moving him to WR at least keeps a talented athlete on the roster.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:44 pm

Also, let me just say this about Daz grooming QB's: I don't think you can fault him for the QB results thus far, but at the same time I don't like the way he is grooming.

He doesn't get backups involved well. In all 3 seasons thus far he waits until there's very little garbage time left to bring in the backup and when he finally does he only sends them out there to hand off the ball.

It's a bullshit strategy and it does nothing to prepare the backup. Send them in earlier if the game is reasonably secure, and send them out there to score points.

If Towles starts, Wade better be doing more than handing off in the 4th Q against UConn when the score gets Howard-like.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:16 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Also, let me just say this about Daz grooming QB's: I don't think you can fault him for the QB results thus far, but at the same time I don't like the way he is grooming.

He doesn't get backups involved well. In all 3 seasons thus far he waits until there's very little garbage time left to bring in the backup and when he finally does he only sends them out there to hand off the ball.

It's a bullshit strategy and it does nothing to prepare the backup. Send them in earlier if the game is reasonably secure, and send them out there to score points.

If Towles starts, Wade better be doing more than handing off in the 4th Q against UConn when the score gets Howard-like.

This was my biggest issue with Addazio year 2. By only playing Wade in garbage time in a handful of games, it did nothing but waste a year. If anything, redshirt him and take it off with an injury to Murphy, but to play him in garbage time vs UMass (game 1) means that the plan was for him to not RS. I've said this previously, but I completely agree that Wade should get a lot of snaps this year in anticipation of next season. With a garbage schedule, there should be plenty of opportunity to play entire second halves.

As to the development issue, he rolled the dice last year and got caught. Should he have brought in 2 borderline QBs in Smith and Robinson, probably not, but I think he was clouded by the success of Murphy's style. What would have been the chance that any QB would have been ready to play when Wade went down (would Brown have fared any better if he was at BC a year earlier ?). I think Smith could have developed into a decent QB potentially, but the depth chart probably dictates that the switch was a smart decision if he wants to stay at BC.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:15 pm

I'm glad to see that everyone agrees with me that Wade should be the starter. :chewbanka
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:39 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I'm glad that Towles is there. I just think that, unless he is significantly better than Wade, he should not be the starter. The best we're hoping for this year is a crappy bowl in early December, regardless of who is starting at QB. The more that Wade sees the field this year, the better off we are later on.

This. If Wade outplays Towles leading into the season he should be starting. My fear is Daz guaranteed Towles the starting job, he plays like Uncle Dave, and a stubborn Sarge continues to play him over Wade.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:05 pm

Wade is going to have to show a lot to prove he's better than a guy that has started in the SEC. But agree that Wade was by far the better guy at the Spring Game, and if the mismatch remains that way in practice, he will be the starter. I'm just guessing that is not the case.

If Towles is even marginally better, you play him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:32 pm

which guy do you want to get mauled by a truck that rolls through the porous oline? that's the guy you start first.

he may not make it back from ireland
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:19 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Translations:

I think we should just give Daz a ten year pass, because, shit, Spaz really hurt the reputation of BC and gee whiz, its awful hard to come back from that, because, golly, everyone was, like, so depressed, and man, it's tough to adjust to that new coaching style, and man, a freshman really can't absorb all that complexity, and we're awful young, and we got these new coaches, and a new system, and, man, look at those programs like Louisville, who are really coming on, and............
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby h2o on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:55 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:sarge also said flutie looked good at qb in the spring last year so... there's that.

THERE WAS NO CURB!!!

#googlemaps

I hear the broad side of a barn has flown into a jealous rage and is planning a curb stomping.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Translations:

I think we should just give Daz a ten year pass, because, shit, Spaz really hurt the reputation of BC and gee whiz, its awful hard to come back from that, because, golly, everyone was, like, so depressed, and man, it's tough to adjust to that new coaching style, and man, a freshman really can't absorb all that complexity, and we're awful young, and we got these new coaches, and a new system, and, man, look at those programs like Louisville, who are really coming on, and............

Your opinion is stupider than the one you're making fun of.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Wade is going to have to show a lot to prove he's better than a guy that has started in the SEC. But agree that Wade was by far the better guy at the Spring Game, and if the mismatch remains that way in practice, he will be the starter. I'm just guessing that is not the case.

If Towles is even marginally better, you play him.

It's this. Play the better QB, I don't care what grade they are.

Smith is fast, I'm not sure he's any good at QB or WR.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:19 pm

Towles is starting.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:24 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:So you prefer experience over potential regarding this argument? I see what your saying, and if we were contending for anything, I would agree. The state of the OL and our offense in general makes me prefer to roll the dice with the young dude...

until you are not contending play the better QB. they have played fsu and Clemson too close to assume shit
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby basselope on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:49 pm

"How long before a coach returns a program to true competitiveness?"
If the program is the Browns the answer is eternally.

Play whoever is the better QB.

basselope
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Translations:

Your opinion is stupider than the one you're making fun of.

no it isn't. fuck millionaires that need to be coddled over the kids they are supposed to be directing towards success. Sgt. Thin skin can suck my laser shorn nutsack
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:07 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:no it isn't. fuck millionaires that need to be coddled over the kids they are supposed to be directing towards success. Sgt. Thin skin can suck my laser shorn nutsack

Yes, yes, you are tough, cool and like sports very much and there is no need to brag about your grooming habits, Hansen's probably not afraid of pubes in his teeth.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:32 am

We haven't even started losing yet and every excuse in the book is being used to protect Daz.

Really looking forward to the first "Towles was recruited as a receiver, Daz has been forced to play him out of position" post
Also looking forward to being told that 45 runs for 85 yards against Buffalo is canny strategy because "we need to shorten the game"
Best will be hearing that Daz's upperclassmen are actually still inexperienced and we can't expect them to perform because "they didn't really gain experience that year Flutie was quarterback"
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:46 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:no it isn't. fuck millionaires that need to be coddled over the kids they are supposed to be directing towards success. Sgt. Thin skin can suck my laser shorn nutsack

Yes, yes, you are tough, cool and like sports very much and there is no need to brag about your grooming habits, Hansen's probably not afraid of pubes in his teeth.

so after being proven that your love of beeker was incorrect you're still riding the "excuses are cool, we should use them for as long as we can" train for bc coaches. based on recent experience, that is a good approach and is very likely to work out
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:52 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

so after being proven that your love of beeker was incorrect you're still riding the "excuses are cool, we should use them for as long as we can" train for bc coaches. based on recent experience, that is a good approach and is very likely to work out

The Philly intern can be such a prick sometimes.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:02 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

If you've said "[enter example] Non-hockey BC Sports thing will suck" 1000 times after 2008 you'd have been right 997 times. I give no one who employees the eepstein miserable prick position as a default any credit for stating the obvious. As anyone who paid attention and wasn't sucking eskimo dicks on a glacier knows, Beaker would have succeeded had Clifford been 100% and he received basic administrative support such as adequate resources to replace Joe Jones, as I've said all along and cannot be proven otherwise without a search function.

I do welcome you to continue to pretend that it is 2008 when our biggest problem seemed to be purveyors of dental hygiene however and look forward to the next coaching candidates thread vs. results of coaching search where we get to pretend the list will be Saban, Meyers, and belichick and end up with Don Treadwell and Randy Edsall again.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:22 am

why, did beeker know of better restaurants to add to clifford's memories of the heights?

Edit sarge is the best we can do... crack the rock, bitches
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:So you prefer experience over potential regarding this argument? I see what your saying, and if we were contending for anything, I would agree. The state of the OL and our offense in general makes me prefer to roll the dice with the young dude...

until you are not contending play the better QB. they have played fsu and Clemson too close to assume shit

10-2 :chewbanka
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium