REAL BOSTON COLLEGE TRIVIA

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: REAL BOSTON COLLEGE TRIVIA

Postby angrychicken on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:23 pm

campion {l Wrote}:3. Who was "The Sheik", and why is he significant?

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Prof. Andrew Buni on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:29 pm

campion {l Wrote}:81 tries, but here is a set of trivia questions that only a real Boston College man with a sense of history can answer. Stuff you can't google.

1. When was the first night game at Alumni Stadium, and who was the opponent? [color=#FF0000]Umass...it was at night[color=#FF0000][/

2. Snooks Kelly refused to recruit Canadian hockey players, and BC came to pride itself on being an all American team. What became BC's unofficial "second fight song" at hockey games in the sixties and seventies? Love that dirty water...

3. Who was "The Sheik", and why is he significant?Some pitcher named Brazilian or something...slept by the A.c.

4. Why did BC not play Holy Cross in 1969?Easy one...a buddy of mine was one of the QB's on that hepatitis-ridden team

5. Why did hockey games begin at 8:30 prior to 1970?Because players weren't done throwing up from previous night's festivities. ( I'll guess...freshman game preceded them, or some other game

6. Where on campus can one still see a fairly large patch of the original Astro-turf from Alumni Stadium?Vinyl beach by the tennis courts/Plex

7. What was the name of the material used for the Roberts' Center playing surface?Tartan flooring ?

8. Prior to Doug Flutie, which BC footballer garnered the most Heisman votes?Jack Concannon

9. What was the original student section(s) in Alumni Stadium?filled with drunks...like me

10. Who was the first director of the Office of Learning Resources for Student Athletes?Kevin Lyons

EDIT: I have a feeling that it might be weeks before all 10 of these are answered correctly. That's OK. Call your grandfathers.
Prof. Andrew Buni
n00b

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:39 pm

campion {l Wrote}:81 tries, but here is a set of trivia questions that only a real Boston College man with a sense of history can answer. Stuff you can't google.

1. When was the first night game at Alumni Stadium, and who was the opponent? Northeastern 1938

2. Snooks Kelly refused to recruit Canadian hockey players, and BC came to pride itself on being an all American team. What became BC's unofficial "second fight song" at hockey games in the sixties and seventies?

3. Who was "The Sheik", and why is he significant?

4. Why did BC not play Holy Cross in 1969? HC football team cancelled season due to hepatitis.

5. Why did hockey games begin at 8:30 prior to 1970?

6. Where on campus can one still see a fairly large patch of the original Astro-turf from Alumni Stadium?

7. What was the name of the material used for the Roberts' Center playing surface?

8. Prior to Doug Flutie, which BC footballer garnered the most Heisman votes? MIke Holovak?

9. What was the original student section(s) in Alumni Stadium?

10. Who was the first director of the Office of Learning Resources for Student Athletes?

EDIT: I have a feeling that it might be weeks before all 10 of these are answered correctly. That's OK. Call your grandfathers.
Last edited by NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:43 pm

1. When was the first night game at Alumni Stadium, and who was the opponent?

2. Snooks Kelly refused to recruit Canadian hockey players, and BC came to pride itself on being an all American team. What became BC's unofficial "second fight song" at hockey games in the sixties and seventies?

4. Why did BC not play Holy Cross in 1969? The HC team came down with Hepatitus

6. Where on campus can one still see a fairly large patch of the original Astro-turf from Alumni Stadium?

7. What was the name of the material used for the Roberts' Center playing surface? Tartan

8. Prior to Doug Flutie, which BC footballer garnered the most Heisman votes? Jack Concannon or Mike Esposito

10. Who was the first director of the Office of Learning Resources for Student Athletes?

See above. My Trivia Quizzes are for New England Sports with some BC mixed in. :banana :banana :banana :banana
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Prof. Andrew Buni on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:45 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Andy Buni has more than a few correct. Wow. I am impressed. Unlike 81, I won't confirm which are correct and which are wrong. In fact, a couple are "partially" correct.

I agree on withholding the answers...heck, we've got 2 weeks to muddle through. I won't cheat and research them because I'm too lazy.

Scary confluence of randomness...last night, I get a call that my buddy's mom passed away...the guy who played on that Cross team in '69. I probably haven't seen him more than 3 times in the last 7 years. Wow !

You plugged in upstairs, campy ?
Prof. Andrew Buni
n00b

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Prof. Andrew Buni {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:Andy Buni has more than a few correct. Wow. I am impressed. Unlike 81, I won't confirm which are correct and which are wrong. In fact, a couple are "partially" correct.

I agree on withholding the answers...heck, we've got 2 weeks to muddle through. I won't cheat and research them because I'm too lazy.

Scary confluence of randomness...last night, I get a call that my buddy's mom passed away...the guy who played on that Cross team in '69. I probably haven't seen him more than 3 times in the last 7 years. Wow !

You plugged in upstairs, campy ?

I will withold answers from now on. Good idea.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:53 pm

I think I do because after I declare a winner based upon my answers then there still needs to be a dispute procedure and time limit because you or someone else may claim my answer is incorrect.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:02 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:I think I do because after I declare a winner based upon my answers then there still needs to be a dispute procedure and time limit because you or someone else may claim my answer is incorrect.

So? What matters more-- expediency or veracity?

Veracity of course but we can't have disputers coming in eons later and claiming a wrong answer/technicality. Everyone knows the start time so they know when they should be participating or checking in to see if they want to lodge a dispute. No?
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:24 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:could you two please just go have the sex and get it over with... sheesh

Who brings the coke?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:could you two please just go have the sex and get it over with... sheesh

Who brings the coke?

hk, of course

so many good stories lost at TZS.... :cry:
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:42 pm

campion {l Wrote}:

This ia a "bye week", and not a "bi-week." Sheesh yourself.

TRE, I still want to see a pic that nude Twister game you and the Rat Pack play. I thought you had great photo shopping skills but I guess you can't come up with it.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:49 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Although most of the contestants were gay, the game was technically co-ed Twister.

That guy has a skid mark. Tasty.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby AMDG on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:11 pm

1. When was the first night game at Alumni Stadium, and who was the opponent? 1972 - Tulane

2. Snooks Kelly refused to recruit Canadian hockey players, and BC came to pride itself on being an all American team. What became BC's unofficial "second fight song" at hockey games in the sixties and seventies? Yankee doodle Dandy - They also would play Frere Jacques for the opposing team

4. Why did BC not play Holy Cross in 1969? Hepetits - Played Syracuse instead and kicked their ass in an upset

5. Why did hockey games begin at 8:30 prior to 1970? Night school ?

6. Where on campus can one still see a fairly large patch of the original Astro-turf from Alumni Stadium? At the Plex patio

7. What was the name of the material used for the Roberts' Center playing surface? Tartan - It was colored gray

8. Prior to Doug Flutie, which BC footballer garnered the most Heisman votes? Jack Concannon

9. What was the original student section(s) in Alumni Stadium? Sections Q, P, & O.

AMDG
Carney Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:38 pm

1972 - Tulane
Yankee Doodle
pitcher named Brazilian...sleptby the a.c
4. Why did BC not play Holy Cross in 1969?
HC team had hepetitis
freshman game preceded hockey game
plex patio
7. What was the name of the material used for the Roberts' Center playing surface?
Tartan
8. Prior to Doug Flutie, which BC footballer garnered the most Heisman votes?
Concannon
sections Q, P & O
Kevin Lyons
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:08 pm

That brochure says BC-Air Force.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:12 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:That brochure says BC-Air Force.

Yes, it does. Very good, bummer.

So does that mean the first night game was actually played against Air Force? Or did you post the wrong picture?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:16 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:That brochure says BC-Air Force.

Yes, it does. Very good, bummer.

So does that mean the first night game was actually played against Air Force? Or did you post the wrong picture?

The key to your dilemma, little muffin, will be found by examining the opponent in the photograph. That will unlock the door of understanding.

Forgive me for not knowing that white uniform with non-descript dark-color numbers and stripe down the pants was what Tulane wore. I was nine years from making my appearance in this world at the time.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:23 pm

No. I thought you had either given the wrong answer or posted the wrong picture. But I was able to figure out through your hint that it was the air force program with a pic of the Tulane game. The unis did nothing for me because, as I said, white with a non-descript black number and stripe isn't necessarily an iconic uniform.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:24 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

1972 - Tulane
Yankee Doodle
HC team had hepetitis
plex patio
Tartan
Concannon
sections Q, P & O
Kevin Lyons

WANG IS THE WINNER. He is missing one detail. John "The Sheik" Brazilian (now a Boston lawyer) was scheduled to pitch in the 1967 CWS in Omaha. The night before the game he slept next to the AC and woke up stiff, and was ineffective. BC lost.

FOR HIS PRIZE, Wang gets this beautiful full color picture of the first night game at Alumni Stadium, vs, Tulane in September, 1972, What a great prize, huh?

Andy Buni and AMDG should have won, but they couldn't "put it all together" the way Wang did. Wang is like a gull, swooping in. Honestly, Wang, did you know a single answer on this quiz? GREAT WORK!!!

This is the game versus AirForce where our WR Mel "Manos di Piedre" Briggs I think had to jump to catch a ball and dropped a few.

Since I was an Intramural "star", my buddies "asked" the Coach Yukica to send me in at halftime since I was fast and good but very small.

Joe wanted to punch us out and then my friends say but Mel can't catch anything....
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:26 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

1938 Northeastern
Yankee Doodle
HC team had hepetitis
plex patio
Tartan
Concannon
sections Q, P & O
Kevin Lyons

WANG IS THE WINNER. He is missing one detail. John "The Sheik" Brazilian (now a Boston lawyer) was scheduled to pitch in the 1967 CWS in Omaha. The night before the game he slept next to the AC and woke up stiff, and was ineffective. BC lost.

FOR HIS PRIZE, Wang gets this beautiful full color picture of the first night game at Alumni Stadium, vs, Tulane in September, 1972, What a great prize, huh?

Andy Buni and AMDG should have won, but they couldn't "put it all together" the way Wang did. Wang is like a gull, swooping in. Honestly, Wang, did you know a single answer on this quiz? GREAT WORK!!!

I will pull a Campion and protest this win. This link http://gonu.com/football/090831-huskies ... rday.shtml clearly states that " The Northeastern Huskies ........................... Boston College has won all four previous meetings, which have all taken place in Chestnut Hill. The first three games came at old Alumni Stadium in the 1930s, including the 1938 game that was BC’s first-ever night game on campus.

All the right answers are upstream in this post and I would like to claim first place
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:29 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:I will pull a Campion and protest this win. This link http://gonu.com/football/090831-huskies ... rday.shtml clearly states that " The Northeastern Huskies ........................... Boston College has won all four previous meetings, which have all taken place in Chestnut Hill. The first three games came at old Alumni Stadium in the 1930s, including the 1938 game that was BC’s first-ever night game on campus.

All the right answers are upstream in this post and I would like to claim first place

Ah, but it was the first night game at Alumni Stadium as the question asks? I'm willing to bet Alumni wasn't erected (heh heh) in 1938.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:30 pm

I believe Alumni Stadium (first version) was built in 1915
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:33 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:I believe Alumni Stadium (first version) was built in 1915

"Alumni Field" was opened in 1915 on the Dustbowl. "Alumni Stadium" opened on lower campus in 1967.

EDIT: Why am I doing this? This is jizz-mopper's work.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:35 pm

Supporting link

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-footb ... adium.html

"The roots of Alumni Stadium and on-campus football at Boston College date back to 1915, when the original Alumni Stadium was dedicated. The facility was located on middle campus on the site of today's campus green. "
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm no longer helping campion. I want to see the jizz-mopper out campioned.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:39 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Supporting link

"The roots of Alumni Stadium and on-campus football at Boston College date back to 1915, when the original Alumni Stadium was dedicated. The facility was located on middle campus on the site of today's campus green. "

Your contest is a flawed as 81's - My quote is from the official Atletic site of Boston College Eagles and your question made no mention of the current facility just "Alumni Stadium"
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Brazilian's law partner's name is Butters. That is glorious.

apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:44 pm

Do we have homohumping going on here?

I mean WTF is going on here?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I mean I guess now its offical we have homosexuals on the site.

No matter, adultery is the same sin for homohumpers or regulars.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:48 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Supporting link

Your contest is a flawed as 81's - My quote is from the official Atletic site of Boston College Eagles and your question made no mention of the current facility just "Alumni Stadium"

Campion - you are slow to respond - I am claiming victory! As my prize you must agree to the avatar of 81s choosing.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:48 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Although most of the contestants were gay, the game was technically co-ed Twister.

74's rant sensible statement got me thinking. Is this picture HR approved? Do we have to move this with our semi-Nazi policies to the MA's board?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium