New Info on Future (Info on Fr. Leahy)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New Info on Future (Info on Fr. Leahy)

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:34 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:If Leahy-hoo did in fact say this and feels this way, then I am pleasantly surprised and happy to hear it. However, getting back to a bowl doesn't really do it for me. I think Coach Chimp can get to 6-6 or 7-5, I'd like a little taste of some real success and I don't think Daz can get to that next level. I liked him but the lack of development on the offensive line has me real concerned about his true abilities.

Not to take this too far off topic, but you can't criticize OL development yet. It's the hardest position to bring guys along and they don't have bodies in senior roles because Spaziani didn't recruit any. I, not saying your wrong, but you have to wait until after next year or the one after to questions development of the offensive line.

Seriously? He's had guys that have been there under him for three years and they were horrendous. After three years of coaching some of these kids, that was the result? I wasn't expecting any all-Americans but that was a poor coaching effort, sorry.

You're just plain wrong. Spazianis last 2 classes had 3 offensive line recruits, only 2 are still on campus. Addazio has been taking 4-5 a year. It's a warm body issue, the players don't exist.

As for the article, I thought that was pretty fair, about what I expected. I think the diversity stuff is dumb, but overall that was more just regurgitating what we already know.

No, you are dead wrong. Second from the bottom in total offense is all I needed. There have been plenty of good freshmen and sophomores that have suited up. Costanzo comes to mind as an effective starter his first year.

Castonzo was the first freshman ever until this year and he was on a line with guys who had been in the program for 3-5 years. Have some perspective

Excuses, excuses, excuses, thanks, Spaz. There were two seniors who started, two freshman and a sophomore, results should have been better.

By your excuse making, they'll suck again this year with another slew of freshmen. Hope I am wrong and the coaches turn things around because if that line doesn't improve, it is going to be another long season.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:36 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Meh

I thought it was more than I could ever hope for. They blamed Leahy, GDF and Bates. They blamed the BOT for their lack of oversight. They mocked the hirings of Don and Spaz. That's all a homerun as far as I'm concerned.

Heck... he was even fair about talking that we had initial success in the ACC and that we've been successful in other sports. The race thing was non-sequitur and seems to be driven by Williams who is probably still unemployed after his failed bid to be AD.

Couple interesting tidbits I didn't know... Bates is entering his final year of his contract. Daz gets paid $2.5mm thru 2019.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:49 pm

My biggest issue was claiming NMSU was an elite-division football team. Overall, I agree with the meh reaction from AC. Probably doesn't matter for us but hopefully it gets non-Nexus members to get annoyed.

Other issue I had was blaming football's downfall on TOB and barely mentioning Jags. Jags probably wasn't the right move long-term but to not bring that clusterfuck up as to why the football team sucks is signs of an agenda.
Last edited by flyingelvii on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Meh

I thought it was more than I could ever hope for. They blamed Leahy, GDF and Bates. They blamed the BOT for their lack of oversight. They mocked the hirings of Don and Spaz. That's all a homerun as far as I'm concerned.

Heck... he was even fair about talking that we had initial success in the ACC and that we've been successful in other sports. The race thing was non-sequitur and seems to be driven by Williams who is probably still unemployed after his failed bid to be AD.

Couple interesting tidbits I didn't know... Bates is entering his final year of his contract. Daz gets paid $2.5mm thru 2019.

Good points. Another takeaway from the story is everyone knows upper administration is doing a shitty job managing the two most important sports except those in upper administration and their buddies. Just ask them, they're doing a great job!
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Globe correspondent Mark Blaudschun contributed to this report.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:23 pm

OMG the sky is falling! Oh noes
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:03 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Good points. Another takeaway from the story is everyone knows upper administration is doing a shitty job managing the two most important sports except those in upper administration and their buddies. Just ask them, they're doing a great job!

After thinking about it a little more, Leahy's and Bates' preemptive responses show how effectiv this article really was. As I've said with regard to the Trustees... Leahy and the Trustees are likely besides themselves for being called out. They likely feel it is unfair that they are being blamed. The absolute last thing they want is to have their reps publicly sullied by something as trivial as sports.

I think Leahy's alleged diatribe to the Board actually shows the problem. He talks about the athletic development posting an accounting loss and acting victimized by questions of support. The athletic department should be viewed more than a line item on a balance sheet. Doing so confirms your lack of support. Speaking of which, the lack of support is not in relation to BC's recent past. The lack of support for FB and BB is measured against other programs in the conference. With all due respect to an amorphous plan that is a decade away from commencement, while its nice that the added negative attention has caused Leahy and the BOT to pay lip service, it is all too little too late.

Nonetheless, I appreciate that in one article Leahy, GDF, Bates and the BOT were all labeled liable for the current mess. This is their legacy. Good work Marin... at least you were able to keep operational the thing you care most about BC sports... White Mountain Creamery.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:59 pm

I agree with HJS as well. Sure, it's not earth shattering to the fanatics on this message board, but it's nice to see Leahy and the BOT get called out publicly.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:01 am

I can't possibly read that many words
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:03 am

PS, Hohler makes me laugh. That dude is fucking embarrassing to any newspaper. Can barely speak English
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:33 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:My biggest issue was claiming NMSU was an elite-division football team. Overall, I agree with the meh reaction from AC. Probably doesn't matter for us but hopefully it gets non-Nexus members to get annoyed.

Agree with this. I think the reaction of the average alum coming across this on the front page of the Sunday Sports section will be different.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:Good points. Another takeaway from the story is everyone knows upper administration is doing a shitty job managing the two most important sports except those in upper administration and their buddies. Just ask them, they're doing a great job!

Nonetheless, I appreciate that in one article Leahy, GDF, Bates and the BOT were all labeled liable for the current mess. This is their legacy. Good work Marin... at least you were able to keep operational the thing you care most about BC sports... White Mountain Creamery.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:06 am

The article lost me with the racial idiocy.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:08 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This. :ace

Obviously, to us here, none of this is new. But as DomingoOrtiz mentioned, the article will most likely have a much bigger impact to the average alum/casual fan. That is where it actually has a chance to spur change.

Again, the Trustees are glad-handing, semi-politicians. The absolute last thing they want is to be blamed for something. I think that the reason why the BOT never followed Barber's suggestion of a sub-Committee to oversee sports is because they didn't want the responsibility of overseeing something that is so visable and readily critiqued.

However, this article is the type of thing that these reactionary pseudo-leaders will respond to and point to superficial "accomplishments" made in response. Given Leahy has one foot out the door (though no timeline for his departure), I actually expect the BOT to now follow through with Barber's suggestion. That means that I think Bates is toast. Unfortunately, the downside here is that the jackasses on the BOT would be the ones starting to make the call. But, no one can be worse than Leahy (or Chris Crane).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:19 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The article lost me with the racial idiocy.

no media hit piece is complete wihtout it
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:33 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PS, Hohler makes me laugh. That dude is fucking embarrassing to any newspaper. Can barely speak English

to teddy's point... what does this even mean

corn hohler {l Wrote}:Few alumni have expressed greater concern about BC athletics than members of the 1984 team that won the Cotton Bowl and helped Flutie capture the Heisman Trophy after the Hail Mary game weeks earlier — a nationally televised 47-45 victory over the University of Miami, the defending national champion.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:39 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

no media hit piece is complete wihtout it

This.

Wasn't hard to find a quotable alum on that angle since Williams actually lost out to Bates for the job. He seems like one step away from Roonie.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:52 am

also - the article sucks as much as i assumed it would but the comments section is gloriously sully-tarded. i'm guessing they don't allow cutting and pasting in their comment section as that's really the only thing missing
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:57 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PS, Hohler makes me laugh. That dude is fucking embarrassing to any newspaper. Can barely speak English

to teddy's point... what does this even mean

corn hohler {l Wrote}:Few alumni have expressed greater concern about BC athletics than members of the 1984 team that won the Cotton Bowl and helped Flutie capture the Heisman Trophy after the Hail Mary game weeks earlier — a nationally televised 47-45 victory over the University of Miami, the defending national champion.

That quote reeks of Blauds.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:03 am

How many head coaches in the top 25 of basketball or football are black? I don't care to look, but I know it's a very small percentage. The cries of racism in this country are tiring.

On another note, am I going to hell for wishing in my head that Leahy bites the dust? It doesn't sound like he's close to walking away from his role at BC, so it seems like this would be the quickest way for him to be replaced.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:16 am

They added the diversity thing because the rest of that article was pointless. There is literally nothing in there.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:56 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:How many head coaches in the top 25 of basketball or football are black? I don't care to look, but I know it's a very small percentage. The cries of racism in this country are tiring.

On another note, am I going to hell for wishing in my head that Leahy bites the dust? It doesn't sound like he's close to walking away from his role at BC, so it seems like this would be the quickest way for him to be replaced.

I took the racial issue to be more of an indictment of BC across the entire athletic department, which makes the argument even more fucking ridiculous. #1) Does Hoehler/Williams really expect BC to retain black M/W Golf, Tennis, Hockey, etc... coaches ? The non-revenue sports are predominatley white sports to begin with, its just life. Im sure you can go to any number of colleges and find a similar demographics in non-revenue coaching ranks #2) As for the revenue sports, BC employed a black basketball coach for 10 years and the FB staff (under addazio) has been fairly diverse (as it hurts them from a recruiting standpoint not to be).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:49 pm

from a couple of emails i've received this morning, it sounds like the school it taking the claims of racism fairly seriously. they started with the construction sites...

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:34 pm

from a couple of emails i've received this morning, it sounds like the school it taking the claims of racism fairly seriously. they started with the construction sites...

Why do they have a picture of an Italian guy next to the Spanish warning?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:46 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Why do they have a picture of an Italian guy next to the Spanish warning?

because they have plenty of pictures of italian guys in the athletic department but in leahy's mind "they all look the same to him"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:32 pm

I knew Brad BateFilippo was going to suck out loud when his first move was to bow down to Pedo State and throw Stephanie McCaffery under the bus. Never forget.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:56 am

Josh Keyes decided to weigh in on all of this ....

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
Leahy is a big part of the problem,don't forget about that!
#BC #BCathletics

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
BC student body is to blame too. BC is the only school where
it's "not cool" to go to athletic events @BostonCollege @BCSportsNews

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
"D1 money with D3 atmosphere"- @FlyingSegel
Pretty much sums it up. Fix it @BostonCollege
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Josh Keyes decided to weigh in on all of this ....

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
#BC #BCathletics

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57

Eh. More people would go to the games if they weren't fucking awful. The students did fine last year for a 3-9 season.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby NaturalLight on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:50 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Josh Keyes decided to weigh in on all of this ....

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
#BC #BCathletics

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57

Eh. More people would go to the games if they weren't fucking awful. The students did fine last year for a 3-9 season.

That's true, they still go to football games for at least 20 minutes every Saturday. Students are fine for football but not for the most accessible college sport: basketball. Arena is on campus no more than a 10 minute walk away, games are generally not more than 2 hours long, only one intermission, etc. I know basketball has been bad but even during my freshman year 2009 when they made the NIT and had a first round pick no one really went to the games. I felt like no one talked about it on campus either.
NaturalLight
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:42 pm

The students are sufficiently mediocre for football. Most FBS schools have students that are good football fans.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium