New Info on Future (Info on Fr. Leahy)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New Info on Future (Info on Fr. Leahy)

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:19 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Josh Keyes decided to weigh in on all of this ....

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
Leahy is a big part of the problem,don't forget about that!
#BC #BCathletics

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
BC student body is to blame too. BC is the only school where
it's "not cool" to go to athletic events @BostonCollege @BCSportsNews

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
"D1 money with D3 atmosphere"- @FlyingSegel
Pretty much sums it up. Fix it @BostonCollege

Eh. More people would go to the games if they weren't fucking awful. The students did fine last year for a 3-9 season.

Win games and the students will go. Same with the general fanbase
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:36 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Josh Keyes decided to weigh in on all of this ....

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
Leahy is a big part of the problem,don't forget about that!
#BC #BCathletics

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
BC student body is to blame too. BC is the only school where
it's "not cool" to go to athletic events @BostonCollege @BCSportsNews

Josh Keyes @swaggyj_57
"D1 money with D3 atmosphere"- @FlyingSegel
Pretty much sums it up. Fix it @BostonCollege

Eh. More people would go to the games if they weren't fucking awful. The students did fine last year for a 3-9 season.

Win games and the students will go. Same with the general fanbase

Eh I'd like to hope so but that isn't true anymore. The students are generally complete lame-Os these days. Our hockey team is STACKED and has been ranked highly all season, but have you seen attendance there? It's pathetic. And hopefully everyone spares the "but that's hockey" excuse because we had much better student attendance when I graduated in 2010. There's just a general apathy among current students towards sports.

Having said that, I recently met with a BC official who claimed that Leahy is very disturbed with the contents of the Globe article and is extremely sensitive to the sentiment around sports. That's cool and all, though I won't put faith in that until I see action.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:51 am

We sucked in 2 of 3 sports when I started at BC and all 3 were always packed. Campus was empty during a football game.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Just read an article that BC had the largest drop in applications for the 2013 year (from '12), almost a 28% drop or 9500 applications. Kind of interesting that this drop happens as the athletic department falls apart. I don't know why this just came across my google alert when the info is from the 2013 school year, but interesting none the less, maybe one of the metrics that persuaded Leahy to finally open the checkbooks

http://colleges.startclass.com/stories/5256/colleges-biggest-decrease-applications?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=#20-United-States-Air-Force-Academy
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:54 pm

i also don't know why you are just seeing that as i've linked to it on more than one occasion

blame it on buttcut all you want but the truth is the fucking nerds have ruined my school. fucking nerds
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:15 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Just read an article that BC had the largest drop in applications for the 2013 year (from '12), almost a 28% drop or 9500 applications. Kind of interesting that this drop happens as the athletic department falls apart. I don't know why this just came across my google alert when the info is from the 2013 school year, but interesting none the less, maybe one of the metrics that persuaded Leahy to finally open the checkbooks

http://colleges.startclass.com/stories/5256/colleges-biggest-decrease-applications?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=#20-United-States-Air-Force-Academy

That's when they added the supplemental essay. Nothing to see here, move along.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:21 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Just read an article that BC had the largest drop in applications for the 2013 year (from '12), almost a 28% drop or 9500 applications. Kind of interesting that this drop happens as the athletic department falls apart. I don't know why this just came across my google alert when the info is from the 2013 school year, but interesting none the less, maybe one of the metrics that persuaded Leahy to finally open the checkbooks

This....Doubtful sports team short term records matters a wit....
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:03 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:

Ya this has zero to do with sports- all because of the supplemental essay on the Common App. Before this, the marginal effort of applying to BC in addition to any other school was the click of a button. I believe this was a way for the admissions office to be able to 1) give each app more attention and 2) increase yield by knowing that the kids they accept are that more interested in attending than that population that they cut out who wasn't willing to write one essay.
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:20 pm

the essay and the nerds. the fucking nerds

and 81eagle
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:07 pm

He opened the checkbooks?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:46 am

2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:

Ya this has zero to do with sports- all because of the supplemental essay on the Common App. Before this, the marginal effort of applying to BC in addition to any other school was the click of a button. I believe this was a way for the admissions office to be able to 1) give each app more attention and 2) increase yield by knowing that the kids they accept are that more interested in attending than that population that they cut out who wasn't willing to write one essay.

Did you ever take statistics? I don't claim to be brilliant but some of you scare me.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:32 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:

Did you ever take statistics? I don't claim to be brilliant but some of you scare me.

Simple math here Quibblestein- decrease the denominator (students accepted) by a greater percentage than you decrease the numerator (students who attend).

He also said that BC now has a pool of applicants who are more likely to attend if they are accepted, meaning the school could accept fewer students than in years past and still retain a good-sized freshman class.

“They may have actually found a way to improve their statistics,” he said.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/ ... story.html
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:45 am

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the people trying to tie applications to football/basketball lack of success are trying to prove here. Causation fail.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:58 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yeah, I'm not really sure what the people trying to tie applications to football/basketball lack of success are trying to prove here. Causation fail.

doug flutie's goodness caused applications to go up and therefore troy flutie's badness caused applications to go down.

it's solid logic coming straight off the quiddich field and out of the safe spaces.

ps - fucking nerds ruining my school...

edit - thanks, troy
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:29 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yeah, I'm not really sure what the people trying to tie applications to football/basketball lack of success are trying to prove here. Causation fail.

doug flutie's goodness caused applications to go up and therefore troy flutie's badness caused applications to go down.

it's solid logic coming straight off the quiddich field and out of the safe spaces.

ps - fucking nerds ruining my school...

edit - thanks, troy

lyin' steve addazio never gave troy a chance! sad! make troy great again! /endjiggipost
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:06 am

There was an article in the Phila. Inquirer this week talking about all the intangibles Villanova's championship will have on the school. They are expecting a solid uptick in applications and their yield, although no hard numbers were given. What I loved about it was the article mentioned the impact of the "Flutie Effect" on BC. That drives my Villanova friends nuts. They win a championship and expect a slight uptick in applications. Flutie connects on a game-winning touchdown in a regular-season game, and it helps transform the school over the next 10 years. And the Villanova folks still don't understand the power of football. Tee-hee.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:10 am

they have a national championship in football and bc doesn't.

and don't give me that 1940 helms foundation bullshit
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:15 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:they have a national championship in football and bc doesn't.

And I was one of the only people around here who cared. And I didn't even go there.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:they have a national championship in football and bc doesn't.

And I was one of the only people around here who cared. And I didn't even go there.

I believe most of TRE's brothers (all of which hate him) went there.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:40 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

I believe most of TRE's brothers (all of which hate him) went there.

two of my brothers and my father. so 3 tre men to bc and 3 tre boys that went to nova
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium