Is Brad Bates on the Hot Seat?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Is Brad Bates on the Hot Seat?

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:44 pm

If he isn't, he fucking should be. MAC hires = MAC results.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Re: Is Brad Bates on the Hot Seat?

Postby BCdee on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:19 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:If he isn't, he fucking should be. MAC hires = MAC results.

It's disgusting. :bag
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:23 pm

With this administration, and their lack of support for Athletics over the past several years? No.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:56 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if he were. As much as they don't care, Leahy and the BOT don't like being embarrassed and BC Athletics as the most visible part of the school to the general public is embarrassing itself. Been all over ESPN lately.

I saw them advertising the football schedule. God bless you if you want to buy season tickets to watch that shit show of teams come to Alumni.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I wouldn't be shocked if he were. As much as they don't care, Leahy and the BOT don't like being embarrassed and BC Athletics as the most visible part of the school to the general public is embarrassing itself. Been all over ESPN lately.

I saw them advertising the football schedule. God bless you if you want to buy season tickets to watch that shit show of teams come to Alumni.

Sent my envelope back to BC without a check for the first time in 10 years. Just a note that I would support the school again when they support the real revenue sports appropriately. Facilities are a joke, ad is a joke, coaches are a joke.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:09 pm

dat wimmens hockey doe
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Remember when BC critics said BC wouldn't be competitive in ACC play? They nailed it.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:38 pm

You are wrong and dumb and should feel wrong and dumb.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:07 am

Has there been any public acknowledgement of this clusterfuck from anyone at BC other than Jim Christian's post-game comments on Saturday?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:10 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I gotta give Bates credit, aside from the lip-stick on the pig facilities announcement, I hadn't seen BC basketball or football covered that much by the AP until this story highlighting our futility in these 2 sports during ACC play. 'They' say that no press is bad press, so I guess this is the first instance that we have concrete evidence pointing to bates not being an utter failure!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 46944.html

"Boston College's dubious double is the latest embarrassment for an athletic department that has endured plenty of adversity in recent years.

Not since the 2008-09 school year have the Eagles been above .500 in both football and men's basketball. They've had three football coaches since Tom O'Brien's departure in 2006 and two basketball coaches since Al Skinner's firing in 2010."

I love how articles like that continue act like TOB is comparable to Al, as the high water mark for the program.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:24 am

From this morning's MMQB:

.............j. Lord, what has happened to the athletic program at Boston College? In the last two months of the football season, BC was 0-8. Since Jan. 1, the basketball team is 0-18. Yikes.
k. Why is Rutgers in the Big Ten? Why is Boston College in the ACC?
l. I get BC, because of the Boston thing. It is absolutely bizarre that a major university located in one of the great cities in America cannot win at the big sports. But why would the ACC powers say yes to BC and no to UConn? Those two schools could have built a great rivalry (they already hated each other) and made the ACC more than just the southern branch of the Atlantic coast.
m. Rutgers. Big Ten? I never got it. Just a dumb, over-reaching move by a conference begging for wider acceptance. And I lived in Jersey for 24 years—and love the place. But Rutgers in a league with Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State? Absurd. Nobody in New York City cares about Rutgers. Nobody.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/06/peyt ... -brady-nfl
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:55 am

Boston College 2015-2016 Academic Year Athletics Results:

Fall:
- Football: 3-9 (0-8).
- Men's Soccer: 11-8-2, 6th in ACC, ACC Tournament Finalist, NCAA Elite 8 Appearance
- Women's Soccer: 11-7-2, 7th in ACC, NCAA Tournament Appearance
- Field Hockey: 13-9, ACC Semi-Finalist, NCAA Elite 8 Appearance

Spring:
- Basketball: 7-24 (0-18).
- W. Baskeball: 15-16 (2-14).
- Hockey: 24-5-5, Beanpot Champs, Regular Season Hockey East Co-Champs
- W. Hockey: 38-0, Beanpot Champs, Hockey East Champs, #1 Seed in NCAA Tournament.
- Baseball: 9-1, hottest start in years.
- Softball: 12-8, current 7 game winning streak.

I'm going to stop there. I know Basketball and Football are the only sports that make ESPN, and I know that this was an epic-ly bad year for Basketball and Football. And I know that nobody wants to hear more excuses about youth and injuries (in both Basketball and Football). And I know that nobody wants to talk about how things will likely improve drastically in Football and will at least improve somewhat in Basketball. But, how about some credit where credit is due. Men's and Women's Soccer took big steps forward. Baseball and Softball both look to be on a major upswing. Hockey has never been better. And now we've finally seen a commitment to facilities.

2015-2016 has been a good year for BC athletics, despite the terrible year for football and basketball.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:32 am

literally nothing matters other than football and basketball. (i care about hockey, but it doesnt matter).

football specifically, is the engine that drives the machine that allows us to have other sports.

if bates does well in football and basketball, hes doing well. if bates has 12 national championships in pointless sports but is failing at football and basketball, hes doing poorly.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:38 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Boston College 2015-2016 Academic Year Athletics Results:

Fall:
- Men's Soccer: 11-8-2, 6th in ACC, ACC Tournament Finalist, NCAA Elite 8 Appearance

Spring:
- W. Hockey: 38-0, Beanpot Champs, Hockey East Champs, #1 Seed in NCAA Tournament.

2015-2016 has been a good year for BC athletics, despite the terrible year for football and basketball.

No. The revenue producing sports are the barometer of success, always have been and always will be.

Furthermore, without doing research, I don't believe that Bates hired Jerry York or the baseball coach(could be wrong). I have no clue about the soccer coaches and also don't care. So even if you call this a successful year, this doesn't have anything to do with Bates.

York (Hockey), Kelly (M.Soccer) and Foley (W.Soccer) were hired when Chet Gladchuck was the AD.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Fall:

Spring:

I'm going to stop there. I know Basketball and Football are the only sports that make ESPN, and I know that this was an epic-ly bad year for Basketball and Football. And I know that nobody wants to hear more excuses about youth and injuries (in both Basketball and Football). And I know that nobody wants to talk about how things will likely improve drastically in Football and will at least improve somewhat in Basketball. But, how about some credit where credit is due. Men's and Women's Soccer took big steps forward. Baseball and Softball both look to be on a major upswing. Hockey has never been better. And now we've finally seen a commitment to facilities.

No one gives a fuck about any sports besides football and basketball, Mrs. Bates.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:27 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:

Fall:

Spring:

No one gives a fuck about any sports besides football and basketball, Mrs. Bates.

This is a yukon conference realignment level type post. Honestly, you could argue that basketball doesn't even really matter, football drives the bus, the rest (for the most part) are just a drain on footballs potential resources.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:15 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

Fall:

Spring:

This is a yukon conference realignment level type post. Honestly, you could argue that basketball doesn't even really matter, football drives the bus, the rest (for the most part) are just a drain on footballs potential resources.

I'm coming at this from the perspective of assuming significant improvement in 2016. I'm in the injuries-and-youth-excuse camp and I see 2015-2016 basketball and football as anomalies, not trends.

Let's revisit this after next season, after football wins 7 or 8 games and is looking really promising, basketball wins closer to 15 total and 5 or 6 in conference and also looking more promising, and then in that context see that BC is competitive in every other sport these days.

Optimism.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:42 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

Fall:

Spring:

I'm coming at this from the perspective of assuming significant improvement in 2016. I'm in the injuries-and-youth-excuse camp and I see 2015-2016 basketball and football as anomalies, not trends.

Let's revisit this after next season, after football wins 7 or 8 games and is looking really promising, basketball wins closer to 15 total and 5 or 6 in conference and also looking more promising, and then in that context see that BC is competitive in every other sport these days.

Optimism.

So you agree that revenue sports are the true barometer of success, yet you call the 2015-16 season a successful year due to the accomplishment of non-revenue sports teams and the predicted improvement you expect out of the football and basketball teams in the 2016-17 season?? Righttttt.

Because I ALSO think BC football is on a path to competing for/winning the ACC within the next 4 years. Basketball, which I don't follow as much, I'm hopeful that youth and injuries were the issue this year at the very least BC basketball will be less embarrassing within the next 4 years.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:50 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I'm coming at this from the perspective of assuming significant improvement in 2016. I'm in the injuries-and-youth-excuse camp and I see 2015-2016 basketball and football as anomalies, not trends.

Optimism.

Nothing is going to happen to anyone because this is BC and no one cares about athletics.
That said... I am coming at this from the perspective that Bates has never hired a successful head coach in Basketball or Football (despite multiple attempts at both). Nothing should be done on the FB or BB front until something is done on the AD front. What's crazy is that... not only is Bates terrible making personnel decisions... he is terrible at getting donations (which would normally be an even bigger concern). Again... none of this matters. We have a President that openly loathes college athletics and we have a BOT who have achieved their Trusteeship through not making waves.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Has anyone heard that they are actively attempting to dismantle the Athletic Development office?? And if they are, isnt that an indication that they are trying to downgrade athletics in general???
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Fall:

Spring:

The last sentence you wrote nearly made me launch my glass of gin at my iPad.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:48 pm

MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:Has anyone heard that they are actively attempting to dismantle the Athletic Development office?? And if they are, isnt that an indication that they are trying to downgrade athletics in general???

I know this is an alias, but they didn't just commit $200 million to athletics to dismantle it...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:03 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:Has anyone heard that they are actively attempting to dismantle the Athletic Development office?? And if they are, isnt that an indication that they are trying to downgrade athletics in general???

I know this is an alias, but they didn't just commit $200 million to athletics to dismantle it...

that's just for the new student rec plex....
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:28 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Fall:

Spring:

No. The revenue producing sports are the barometer of success, always have been and always will be.

Furthermore, without doing research, I don't believe that Bates hired Jerry York or the baseball coach(could be wrong). I have no clue about the soccer coaches and also don't care. So even if you call this a successful year, this doesn't have anything to do with Bates.

York (Hockey), Kelly (M.Soccer) and Foley (W.Soccer) were hired when Chet Gladchuck was the AD.

Chet Gladchuck was really good at hiring coaches.
All three coaches have been program defining at their respective sports.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:37 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

that's just for the new student rec plex....

You're crazy
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:08 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}: 2015-2016 has been a good year for BC athletics, despite the terrible year for football and basketball.

The last sentence you wrote nearly made me launch my glass of gin at my iPad.

Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:20 pm

they couldn't dismantle the athletic department any further. There are about 10 people who work there. They have a boatload of student interns who are running around doing actual heavy lifting. They decreased the amount of full time employees significantly over the past 7 years or so. Cost cutting move. Good people were let go, or semi forced into retirement. They run the athletic department like it's a high school program. I have neither the time nor the energy to go into detail of how shaky this operation is. Try calling over there. Voice mail city. Coaches from other schools are literally bewildered at what goes on here. Calling to get, hotel recommendations, transport form the airport, practices times....not a shot you are getting a response. other teams coaches call our coaches to get what they need. Our coaches are constantly apologizing. It's ludicrous.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Given the way BC has traditionally handled the athletic department, Bates isn't even close to being on the hot seat. However, this shouldn't shield him from having to answer questions about the utter failure of the two revenue producing ACC programs under his watch. The problem is that no one in the media cares enough to call him on the carpet. I'm hoping that someone from The Heights steps up and asks the right questions. It's his job to answer, especially considering the state of "his" athletic program.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:27 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:they couldn't dismantle the athletic department any further. There are about 10 people who work there. They have a boatload of student interns who are running around doing actual heavy lifting. They decreased the amount of full time employees significantly over the past 7 years or so. Cost cutting move. Good people were let go, or semi forced into retirement. They run the athletic department like it's a high school program. I have neither the time nor the energy to go into detail of how shaky this operation is. Try calling over there. Voice mail city. Coaches from other schools are literally bewildered at what goes on here. Calling to get, hotel recommendations, transport form the airport, practices times....not a shot you are getting a response. other teams coaches call our coaches to get what they need. Our coaches are constantly apologizing. It's ludicrous.

Really? That's just sad. Sounds like Northeastern under their previous A.D.

Do you think it's Leahy who's driving this, or coming from somewhere else?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Hoff on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:30 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:they couldn't dismantle the athletic department any further. There are about 10 people who work there. They have a boatload of student interns who are running around doing actual heavy lifting. They decreased the amount of full time employees significantly over the past 7 years or so. Cost cutting move. Good people were let go, or semi forced into retirement. They run the athletic department like it's a high school program. I have neither the time nor the energy to go into detail of how shaky this operation is. Try calling over there. Voice mail city. Coaches from other schools are literally bewildered at what goes on here. Calling to get, hotel recommendations, transport form the airport, practices times....not a shot you are getting a response. other teams coaches call our coaches to get what they need. Our coaches are constantly apologizing. It's ludicrous.

Spot on post. If people only knew. Just to be clear the handful of full time employees do a great job considering they are doing the job of 5 people. You are right though they literally have interns doing the job that a full time employee should be doing.
Hoff
n00b

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium