Is Brad Bates on the Hot Seat?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Is Brad Bates on the Hot Seat?

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:38 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Dorris Burke just called out BC for not committing proper resources/$$$ (and the result being their lack of New England Prep players) during the first game of the ACCT. she's obv a PC grad with an inferiority complex and a desire for the BE of past, but she's right.

I had a day off from work, had already purchased tickets and a gf that was eager to go to the BC game (she knows I like BC). I told her there was not a shot in hell that I would go to watch that. She was dumbfounded.

Mind you, I paid $$200 to sit in the freezing cold (0 degrees?) 3 years ago to watch the BC VS UMD Fball game amidst the cesspool of fans that root for the terps. It's amazing that the sucktetude of this team would be keep me from going to a measly 2 hour long basketball game in a nice arena. Bates needs to get the axe, I NEVER thought I would pass up a BC tourney game, no matter how bad they were.

Back to not poking fun at you.

Was that the game where it was sleeting all game? I was there and that was an absolutely miserable weather experience
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:12 pm

It was cold and windy, but I don't remember the sleet. When Maryland blocked the 4th quarter PAT, the BC kicking team stood around dumbfounded while Maryland ran it back for two points. D minus for whoever was coaching special teams. But all worthwhile because BC pulled it out in the end.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:15 am

higgi you're confusing games at Maryland

the sleet garbage was in '11. the freese fg was in '13, it was also miserably cold that day

I was there in '13. even though we replaced them with a community college, thank god Maryland is OUT of the acc
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby garf112 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:the push back he gave was related to dining services and it taking away revenue.

This is bullshit. BCDS is a private, for-profit company. BC doesn't see a nickel of their revenue.

And you don't think that they have an exclusivity provision of some sort?

This.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:36 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:higgi you're confusing games at Maryland

the sleet garbage was in '11. the freese fg was in '13, it was also miserably cold that day

I was there in '13. even though we replaced them with a community college, thank god Maryland is OUT of the acc

Yea I was at the 2011 mess. Man that was cold got pelted with sleet for about 3 quarters
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:36 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Thanks, but I only went to the 13 game, which was freezing. Eppy is confusing the games.

fwiw, ive never met a more hostile fan base than the terms fans

Their fan base is fantastically stupid
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:42 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Thanks, but I only went to the 13 game, which was freezing. Eppy is confusing the games.

fwiw, ive never met a more hostile fan base than the terms fans

Their fan base is fantastically stupid

They are universally hated in the area, worse than the sentiments BC fans express about Bates

you mean the maryland fans rise above a base level of apathy? that IS pretty hardcore
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Dorris Burke just called out BC for not committing proper resources/$$$ (and the result being their lack of New England Prep players) during the first game of the ACCT. she's obv a PC grad with an inferiority complex and a desire for the BE of past, but she's right.

I had a day off from work, had already purchased tickets and a gf that was eager to go to the BC game (she knows I like BC). I told her there was not a shot in hell that I would go to watch that. She was dumbfounded.

Mind you, I paid $$200 to sit in the freezing cold (0 degrees?) 3 years ago to watch the BC VS UMD Fball game amidst the cesspool of fans that root for the terps. It's amazing that the sucktetude of this team would be keep me from going to a measly 2 hour long basketball game in a nice arena. Bates needs to get the axe, I NEVER thought I would pass up a BC tourney game, no matter how bad they were.

Hang on here.

You have a girlfriend? I almost just spit out my gin for a second time.

This deserved a little more recognition than it got, especially coming from epstein, Like Odio nailing a 30 foot jumper.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Hoff on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:10 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Hoff {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:they couldn't dismantle the athletic department any further. There are about 10 people who work there. They have a boatload of student interns who are running around doing actual heavy lifting. They decreased the amount of full time employees significantly over the past 7 years or so. Cost cutting move. Good people were let go, or semi forced into retirement. They run the athletic department like it's a high school program. I have neither the time nor the energy to go into detail of how shaky this operation is. Try calling over there. Voice mail city. Coaches from other schools are literally bewildered at what goes on here. Calling to get, hotel recommendations, transport form the airport, practices times....not a shot you are getting a response. other teams coaches call our coaches to get what they need. Our coaches are constantly apologizing. It's ludicrous.

Spot on post. If people only knew. Just to be clear the handful of full time employees do a great job considering they are doing the job of 5 people. You are right though they literally have interns doing the job that a full time employee should be doing.

As a non-profit organization, I don't understand the reason for the extreme cost control measures. I could see if we were a corporation then maybe. Is the department losing that much money that they need to run it like this? With the additional ACC revenue over the past few years, I find it shocking that they are doing this. I just don't get it.

Hoff, without going to far down the rabbit hole, can you give a few examples of roles that would be full time elsewhere that BC is mickey mousing ?

I consider "Athletics Department" to be wide ranging from the office staff, to the SID's. to coaches. One of my favorite examples of how thin the staff is is with Hoops Strength and Conditioning. For starters, BC is the only school in the ACC without a full time strength and conditioning coach for hoops. The S&C coach does hoops along with 3 or 4 other Olympic Sports. That means the sport is an Olympics Sports position rather than a basketball only position which means BC can get away with paying the person about 60% of what other ACC Schools pay that same employee.

This year the hoops team had their S&C coach quit a few games into the season. With the S&C coaches stretched thin already BC had an intern for a S&C Coach for a few games before someone else could be hired.

There's always a crowd who will read this and say tough shit BC Coaches get over it. The reality is that there are all kinds of stories out there like this for hoops where BC is cutting corners whether it be sharing the practice court with women's basketball and volleyball, the team sharing the weight room with 30 other sports, ect. BC now has a widespread reputation with local AAU coaches that the administration just has no commitment to winning.
Hoff
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:15 am

Hoff {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Hoff {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:they couldn't dismantle the athletic department any further. There are about 10 people who work there. They have a boatload of student interns who are running around doing actual heavy lifting. They decreased the amount of full time employees significantly over the past 7 years or so. Cost cutting move. Good people were let go, or semi forced into retirement. They run the athletic department like it's a high school program. I have neither the time nor the energy to go into detail of how shaky this operation is. Try calling over there. Voice mail city. Coaches from other schools are literally bewildered at what goes on here. Calling to get, hotel recommendations, transport form the airport, practices times....not a shot you are getting a response. other teams coaches call our coaches to get what they need. Our coaches are constantly apologizing. It's ludicrous.

Spot on post. If people only knew. Just to be clear the handful of full time employees do a great job considering they are doing the job of 5 people. You are right though they literally have interns doing the job that a full time employee should be doing.

As a non-profit organization, I don't understand the reason for the extreme cost control measures. I could see if we were a corporation then maybe. Is the department losing that much money that they need to run it like this? With the additional ACC revenue over the past few years, I find it shocking that they are doing this. I just don't get it.

Hoff, without going to far down the rabbit hole, can you give a few examples of roles that would be full time elsewhere that BC is mickey mousing ?

I consider "Athletics Department" to be wide ranging from the office staff, to the SID's. to coaches. One of my favorite examples of how thin the staff is is with Hoops Strength and Conditioning. For starters, BC is the only school in the ACC without a full time strength and conditioning coach for hoops. The S&C coach does hoops along with 3 or 4 other Olympic Sports. That means the sport is an Olympics Sports position rather than a basketball only position which means BC can get away with paying the person about 60% of what other ACC Schools pay that same employee.

This year the hoops team had their S&C coach quit a few games into the season. With the S&C coaches stretched thin already BC had an intern for a S&C Coach for a few games before someone else could be hired.

There's always a crowd who will read this and say tough shit BC Coaches get over it. The reality is that there are all kinds of stories out there like this for hoops where BC is cutting corners whether it be sharing the practice court with women's basketball and volleyball, the team sharing the weight room with 30 other sports, ect. BC now has a widespread reputation with local AAU coaches that the administration just has no commitment to winning.

That is actually fairly alarming and depressing. I thought you were going to say something along the lines admin roles being put in student intern hands, which is bad, but nothing even close to as important as a S/C coach.

Addazio actually said something in the Gridiorn Club event about BC having the smallest S/C staff in conference as well (but at least they have a dedicated coach).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 am

speaking of, finally made it to the end of the gridiron event. had to chuckle hearing paul rip the message boards
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 am

The idea that BC needs to cut corners in the athletic department is laughable. Not that it is necessary, but cut fencing, sailing, skiing. Stop being proud of having more useless programs than everyone else, and start developing a useful football and basketball program.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:38 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The idea that BC needs to cut corners in the athletic department is laughable. Not that it is necessary, but cut fencing, sailing, skiing. Stop being proud of having more useless programs than everyone else, and start developing a useful football and basketball program.

I totally agree with this, there are even more sports than the ones you mentioned that need to go. People argue that it doesn't cost much to operate the non-revenue sports, but that is exactly my point. If BC can conservatively save a few hundred thousand dollars and put that money towards additional recruiting, S&C, whatever staff for FB/BB its a win.

As to Hoff's point, Ive noticed things elsewhere, and its pretty ridiculous when you think about it. One area I noticed cost cutting was with something as simple as the equipment room. You can look at this year with basketball, while BC got a refreshed home uniform they didnt get a refreshed away uniform design (the design of the white uni was different than the design of the maroon). A few years ago, when the ACC changed logos, I saw a photo that showed the equipment room just took a new patch and sewed it on over the old embroidered logo, suggesting they just reused the uniform from the previous year. For a team as small as basketball, you would think they would be able to get at least new uniforms each year (instead of recycling and replacing the nameplate).

Baseball is similar, once BC did a refresh of the fonts/numbers on uniforms, they were still getting trotted out there in uniforms from the previous year (same design, same number font, etc).

I know its not a huge deal, but def noticeable in light of what Hoff said. I don't think its Under Armour and I don't know if its money or just lazy people, but its ridiculous nonetheless.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:12 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:speaking of, finally made it to the end of the gridiron event. had to chuckle hearing paul rip the message boards

First, I have no idea how you made it through all that; Second, what did he say about the message boards?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The idea that BC needs to cut corners in the athletic department is laughable. Not that it is necessary, but cut fencing, sailing, skiing. Stop being proud of having more useless programs than everyone else, and start developing a useful football and basketball program.

It's this.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Hang on here.

This deserved a little more recognition than it got, especially coming from epstein, Like Odio nailing a 30 foot jumper.

Like Eli Carter making a 3?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:37 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Hang on here.

Like Eli Carter making a 3?

Less rare than that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:41 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:speaking of, finally made it to the end of the gridiron event. had to chuckle hearing paul rip the message boards

First, I have no idea how you made it through all that; Second, what did he say about the message boards?

He was complaining about the search function. :dildodog
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

He was complaining about the search function. :dildodog

but he did say that he likes the meatbombs... it surprises him every time
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:39 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

First, neither do I. Each of the assistants ran through the recruits coming into each of their positions, typical puff pieces. Was interesting to hear who they highlighted as those who could make an early impact (mostly the athletic DL & a couple of the LBs). FWIW I don't think they talked of Beltzer either but I may have missed it.

Second, it was the typical that these places are dens of negativity, if you need your news get it from me or others on the board of the club, etc. We have the right coach here, rah rah
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

First, neither do I. Each of the assistants ran through the recruits coming into each of their positions, typical puff pieces. Was interesting to hear who they highlighted as those who could make an early impact (mostly the athletic DL & a couple of the LBs). FWIW I don't think they talked of Beltzer either but I may have missed it.

Second, it was the typical that these places are dens of negativity, if you need your news get it from me or others on the board of the club, etc. We have the right coach here, rah rah

I'm disappointed I was not given due credit for trolling retardeds on EA. This is bullshit.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:48 pm

It will never happen.

One reason is Title IX.
A second reason is BC cares more that they have the first or second most overall sports (to Harvard) than then do winning. Like it or not, it's a fact. Leahy, BoT, etc. consider this a selling point to prospective students: we have the highest percentage of student-athletes in the country.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:51 pm

you only say that because you spent 4 years at the heights running in a circle with bloody nipples

those two things were unrelated
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:18 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

It will never happen.

One reason is Title IX.
A second reason is BC cares more that they have the first or second most overall sports (to Harvard) than then do winning. Like it or not, it's a fact. Leahy, BoT, etc. consider this a selling point to prospective students: we have the highest percentage of student-athletes in the country.

The latter point is stupid, the former incorrect. Rutgers has like 8 programs other than football and hoop and they satisfy Title IX. BC does not keep fencing to satisfy Title IX
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

It will never happen.

One reason is Title IX.

The latter point is stupid, the former incorrect. Rutgers has like 8 programs other than football and hoop and they satisfy Title IX. BC does not keep fencing to satisfy Title IX

It's a huge sense of pride for the athletics department and for the school as a whole regardless if you think it is stupid. Honestly, I don't see why we can't do both. The two are not mutually exclusive.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Someone on TOS saying the BOT is meeting tonight re: :bag
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:04 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:Someone on TOS saying the BOT is meeting tonight re: :bag

:violin
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:05 pm

If this is true and it's in response to the athletic debacle of this year, the best thing that can come of it is not firing Brad Bates...it's drastically reconsidering the school's commitment to athletics. In every way except conference affiliation, we are getting left behind.

- Increased budget for revenue sports.
- Elevated urgency for the completion of a vague $200 athletics project.
- More willingness to challenge the neighbors to improve fan experience.
- Less focus on squeezing profits/donations out of current fans and more focus on reaching out to new fans.

Just firing Brad Bates and replacing him with someone else without addressing these issues is almost pointless. Brad Bates hasn't created the problems with BC Athletics. So far he's just failed to fix them or navigate around them enough to win.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:28 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

If this is true and it's in response to the athletic debacle of this year, the best thing that can come of it is not firing Brad Bates...it's drastically reconsidering the school's commitment to athletics. In every way except conference affiliation, we are getting left behind.

- Increased budget for revenue sports.
- Elevated urgency for the completion of a vague $200 athletics project.
- More willingness to challenge the neighbors to improve fan experience.
- Less focus on squeezing profits/donations out of current fans and more focus on reaching out to new fans.

Just firing Brad Bates and replacing him with someone else without addressing these issues is almost pointless. Brad Bates hasn't created the problems with BC Athletics. So far he's just failed to fix them or navigate around them enough to win.

Agree entirely. I created this thread with the belief that Bates should be on the hot seat, not fired.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:33 pm

I can confirm that the BOT is meeting tomorrow. There may be a board dinner tonight though

Edit: this is direct from my family member in the administration
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium