Is Brad Bates on the Hot Seat?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Is Brad Bates on the Hot Seat?

Postby hansen on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Hoff {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:they couldn't dismantle the athletic department any further. There are about 10 people who work there. They have a boatload of student interns who are running around doing actual heavy lifting. They decreased the amount of full time employees significantly over the past 7 years or so. Cost cutting move. Good people were let go, or semi forced into retirement. They run the athletic department like it's a high school program. I have neither the time nor the energy to go into detail of how shaky this operation is. Try calling over there. Voice mail city. Coaches from other schools are literally bewildered at what goes on here. Calling to get, hotel recommendations, transport form the airport, practices times....not a shot you are getting a response. other teams coaches call our coaches to get what they need. Our coaches are constantly apologizing. It's ludicrous.

Spot on post. If people only knew. Just to be clear the handful of full time employees do a great job considering they are doing the job of 5 people. You are right though they literally have interns doing the job that a full time employee should be doing.

As a non-profit organization, I don't understand the reason for the extreme cost control measures. I could see if we were a corporation then maybe. Is the department losing that much money that they need to run it like this? With the additional ACC revenue over the past few years, I find it shocking that they are doing this. I just don't get it.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Hoff {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:they couldn't dismantle the athletic department any further. There are about 10 people who work there. They have a boatload of student interns who are running around doing actual heavy lifting. They decreased the amount of full time employees significantly over the past 7 years or so. Cost cutting move. Good people were let go, or semi forced into retirement. They run the athletic department like it's a high school program. I have neither the time nor the energy to go into detail of how shaky this operation is. Try calling over there. Voice mail city. Coaches from other schools are literally bewildered at what goes on here. Calling to get, hotel recommendations, transport form the airport, practices times....not a shot you are getting a response. other teams coaches call our coaches to get what they need. Our coaches are constantly apologizing. It's ludicrous.

Spot on post. If people only knew. Just to be clear the handful of full time employees do a great job considering they are doing the job of 5 people. You are right though they literally have interns doing the job that a full time employee should be doing.

As a non-profit organization, I don't understand the reason for the extreme cost control measures. I could see if we were a corporation then maybe. Is the department losing that much money that they need to run it like this? With the additional ACC revenue over the past few years, I find it shocking that they are doing this. I just don't get it.

Hoff, without going to far down the rabbit hole, can you give a few examples of roles that would be full time elsewhere that BC is mickey mousing ?
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:28 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Hoff {l Wrote}:

Hoff, without going to far down the rabbit hole, can you give a few examples of roles that would be full time elsewhere that BC is mickey mousing ?

The Ticket Office has cleaned up their act this year noticeably. Pleasure to deal with, etc. Granted I didn't get ACCT Tickets this year but anytime I needed something they did a really good job. Whoever fixed that needs more responsibility. I also saw people who got ACCT had their tickets well in advance which is nice because no BC fan is going down to that disaster. Plenty of time to resell them. If you all hired a ticket consultant to help with this then good on you.

The game traffic situation (granted no one showed up) was also handled much better this year for all sports. I think the Lower Brighton Parking was a huge part of that.

The thing they need to fix for next season is the concessions in both Alumni and Conte. They should invite a whole bunch of Food Carts on campus that would go a long way
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:42 am

so is hinghma eagle spaz or blauds?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:44 am

The ticket office and parking both improved because of the volume of fans looking to attend a game in person has never been lower. Concessions, however, would be harder to fix given the same issue.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:50 am

HJS {l Wrote}:The ticket office and parking both improved because of the volume of fans looking to attend a game in person has never been lower. Concessions, however, would be harder to fix given the same issue.

It might be part of it, but the Lower Brighton option was probably the best thing Bates has done. The Ticket Office is way more organized, I don't think that's due to less fans since I'm usually dealing with them on the phone. There just operating in a smoother fashion.

Concessions should be an easy fix. I don't really care, but my wife does and part of convincing her to come watch this putrid product is having a reasonable lunch option.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:52 am

how the hell do we not have mobile tickets yet?

the food truck is a good idea, especially if bates is looking to expand the 'no vehicular tailgating scene' but I'm sure that would require foresight as well as nine million focus groups and townhalls.

agreed on lower brighton parking. i used it all year and it was excellent. of course in typical bc fashion, about 75% of the time 1 of the 2 entrances were closed...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:how the hell do we not have mobile tickets yet?

the food truck is a good idea, especially if bates is looking to expand the 'no vehicular tailgating scene' but I'm sure that would require foresight as well as nine million focus groups and townhalls.

agreed on lower brighton parking. i used it all year and it was excellent. of course in typical bc fashion, about 75% of the time 1 of the 2 entrances were closed...

They actually are starting mobile tickets via ReplyBuy for next season. My guess is that's another ticket consultant idea.

Feel like the food trucks would be pretty easy.

I think the reason the entrance on Comm Ave was closed for Lower Brighton is they wanted to avoid people driving through the tailgates on Upper Brighton. That Foster St enter entrance wasn't too bad and you deal with 0 traffic leaving.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:12 am

lower brighton parking has been there for years, i always use the foster street entrance and exit on lake without issue. this past year i don’t think they were even checking to see if you had a pass. what really helped is the tailgating on upper brighton. hjs is right the lower number of fans is why the parking and traffic improved.

i like the idea of food trucks, but bc will view that as taking revenue away from the concession stands so iwnh.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:how the hell do we not have mobile tickets yet?

They actually are starting mobile tickets via ReplyBuy for next season. My guess is that's another ticket consultant idea.

Feel like the food trucks would be pretty easy.

I think the reason the entrance on Comm Ave was closed for Lower Brighton is they wanted to avoid people driving through the tailgates on Upper Brighton. That Foster St enter entrance wasn't too bad and you deal with 0 traffic leaving.

i was talking about the entrance on lake street. whenever i tried to enter there, a couple of laz parking people would say that bcpd hasn't opened the gates yet
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:46 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:lower brighton parking has been there for years, i always use the foster street entrance and exit on lake without issue. this past year i don’t think they were even checking to see if you had a pass. what really helped is the tailgating on upper brighton. hjs is right the lower number of fans is why the parking and traffic improved.

i like the idea of food trucks, but bc will view that as taking revenue away from the concession stands so iwnh.

BC should charge them a flat $250 or whatever. Whatever they make beyond the initial fee they keep
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:47 am

This food truck idea might be the most valuable thing to come out of these boards. Somebody email Bates. Makes way too much sense while trying to encourage more public transportation fans.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:50 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:This food truck idea might be the most valuable thing to come out of these boards. Somebody email Bates. Makes way too much sense while trying to encourage more public transportation fans.

It's my idea I'll email him. It'll never happen
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:11 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:lower brighton parking has been there for years, i always use the foster street entrance and exit on lake without issue. this past year i don’t think they were even checking to see if you had a pass. what really helped is the tailgating on upper brighton. hjs is right the lower number of fans is why the parking and traffic improved.

BC should charge them a flat $250 or whatever. Whatever they make beyond the initial fee they keep

iwnh
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:16 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

iwnh

My suggestion to him to avoid this is a Food Cart/Beer Garden. Get Harpoon and Fidelity to co-sponsor it.

I'm proving with 5 minutes of thought that this stuff is not difficult at all
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:20 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:This food truck idea might be the most valuable thing to come out of these boards. Somebody email Bates. Makes way too much sense while trying to encourage more public transportation fans.

It's a better idea than his stupid "hospitality tent" or whatever it's called. I've never seen more than a handful of people in that thing. Maybe they if he got rid of the grills and what is most likely lousey food there and used food trucks instead more people would pay to use it.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:24 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

It's a better idea than his stupid "hospitality tent" or whatever it's called. I've never seen more than a handful of people in that thing. Maybe they if he got rid of the grills and what is most likely lousey food there and used food trucks instead more people would pay to use it.

I definitely wouldn't charge ahead for some thing like this that's dumb. Make your money once they're inside the food cart/beer garden
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:30 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I definitely wouldn't charge ahead for some thing like this that's dumb. Make your money once they're inside the food cart/beer garden

The problem is he keeps this sort of thing in house when he should be looking to outsource it to a place like Harpoon like you said. He thinks he's giving the people what they want based on feedback from his town halls but he's missing badly.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:41 am

A few years ago I set up a call with the Fenway Sports Group because I had too much time on my hands and was frustrated with the atmosphere. I gave him several suggestions - one of which was the food truck thing - and the push back he gave was related to dining services and it taking away revenue. I doubt it's an insurmountable problem but it sounded like they had already considered it and it was shot down.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:50 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:A few years ago I set up a call with the Fenway Sports Group because I had too much time on my hands and was frustrated with the atmosphere. I gave him several suggestions - one of which was the food truck thing - and the push back he gave was related to dining services and it taking away revenue. I doubt it's an insurmountable problem but it sounded like they had already considered it and it was shot down.

He just emailed me and it's not off the table at all
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:35 pm

There are a ton of issues at play with numerous outside vendors on campus, as there are with alcohol service. The former are not insurmountable, but the later may not be worth it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:the push back he gave was related to dining services and it taking away revenue.

This is bullshit. BCDS is a private, for-profit company. BC doesn't see a nickel of their revenue.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:42 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:the push back he gave was related to dining services and it taking away revenue.

This is bullshit. BCDS is a private, for-profit company. BC doesn't see a nickel of their revenue.

And you don't think that they have an exclusivity provision of some sort?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

OK. It depends on whose revenue Bates was talking about.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

OK. It depends on whose revenue Bates was talking about.

This was before Bates and I was talking with the FSG guy, not someone from BC.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:A few years ago I set up a call with the Fenway Sports Group because I had too much time on my hands and was frustrated with the atmosphere. I gave him several suggestions - one of which was the food truck thing - and the push back he gave was related to dining services and it taking away revenue. I doubt it's an insurmountable problem but it sounded like they had already considered it and it was shot down.

im sure he'll discuss it further at the next town hall
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:31 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

...tentatively scheduled to be held at the grand opening of the new indoor practice facility.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:33 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

...tentatively scheduled to be held at the grand opening of the new indoor practice facility.

follow up by several focus groups
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Dorris Burke just called out BC for not committing proper resources/$$$ (and the result being their lack of New England Prep players) during the first game of the ACCT. she's obv a PC grad with an inferiority complex and a desire for the BE of past, but she's right.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:37 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Dorris Burke just called out BC for not committing proper resources/$$$ (and the result being their lack of New England Prep players) during the first game of the ACCT. she's obv a PC grad with an inferiority complex and a desire for the BE of past, but she's right.

I had a day off from work, had already purchased tickets and a gf that was eager to go to the BC game (she knows I like BC). I told her there was not a shot in hell that I would go to watch that. She was dumbfounded.

Mind you, I paid $$200 to sit in the freezing cold (0 degrees?) 3 years ago to watch the BC VS UMD Fball game amidst the cesspool of fans that root for the terps. It's amazing that the sucktetude of this team would be keep me from going to a measly 2 hour long basketball game in a nice arena. Bates needs to get the axe, I NEVER thought I would pass up a BC tourney game, no matter how bad they were.

Hang on here.

You have a girlfriend? I almost just spit out my gin for a second time.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium