Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Gotta love it, looks like they are filling in the corners!

They got the video board in the correct location and the football building looks like what Gladchuk had designed for BC.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:48 am

BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:16 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Another CFB doormat leaving BC in the dust ...

http://footballscoop.com/news/illinois-announces-132-million-facility-improvements/

"CFB doormat" is a bit of an overreach. They've been to two Rose Bowls in the last 10-15 years, not great but not doormat material. To your point, this $130mm is coming off a total refurbishment of their basketball arena (State Farm Arena), which will re-open this year and a big football facility investment program that was completed less than 10 years ago. What is BC waiting for????
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:...What is BC waiting for????

donations
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:40 pm

http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/off ... 5%2016.pdf

Found this today, not sure if anyone has posted if before.

Supposedly the fieldhouse is going to cost $45 million. What can we get with $45 million?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:44 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:...What is BC waiting for????

donations

I thought it was for hell to freeze over.

So has Edmonds been torn down and work started on the new rec center?
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:55 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/offices/avp/pdf/PAC%2002%2025%2016.pdf

Supposedly the fieldhouse is going to cost $45 million. What can we get with $45 million?

This is whats crazy. VT's indoor building is one of the biggest in the country (And brand new) and cost $21mm. Wake's is estimated to cost the same ($21mm). Syracuse got theirs done for $13mm-$14mm.

If that $45mm number is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt its accuracy considering the source), BC had better be planning on rolling a number of features into it (locker rooms, training rooms, weight room, etc). I just cant fathom how building this in Boston warrants 2x-3x the cost of other ACC locations.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:21 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/offices/avp/pdf/PAC%2002%2025%2016.pdf

This is whats crazy. VT's indoor building is one of the biggest in the country (And brand new) and cost $21mm. Wake's is estimated to cost the same ($21mm). Syracuse got theirs done for $13mm-$14mm.

If that $45mm number is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt its accuracy considering the source), BC had better be planning on rolling a number of features into it (locker rooms, training rooms, weight room, etc). I just cant fathom how building this in Boston warrants 2x-3x the cost of other ACC locations.

The building is $45mm. However, they have scoped out a more ambitious vision which includes things like a weightroom (this nudges the cost to $50mm). They have raised approximately $40mm already. They will start the building once they hit $45mm... however the goal is $50mm.

Folks trying to compare building costs in Blacksburg and Champaign to that of Chestnut Hill is comical.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

The building is $45mm. However, they have scoped out a more ambitious vision which includes things like a weightroom (this nudges the cost to $50mm). They have raised approximately $40mm already. They will start the building once they hit $45mm... however the goal is $50mm.

Folks trying to compare building costs in Blacksburg and Champaign to that of Chestnut Hill is comical.

Don't they have to get approval and submit things to the city...none of which we have seen?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Miami's building one for $34,000,000. :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:50 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Don't they have to get approval and submit things to the city...none of which we have seen?

I no longer believe that line of garbage. It is an excuse they march out whenever the vocal minority asks for an update.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:54 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

I no longer believe that line of garbage. It is an excuse they march out whenever the vocal minority asks for an update.

They need a building permit... so, yes... they have to get one (and one won't be issued for the project without community discussion/plan amendment). That said, it is my understanding that they do not think they will be receiving much in the way of resistence from the locals. This doesn't suprise me as (a) it doesn't impact housing and (b) it takes away tailgating spots on Shea.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:53 pm

This was very informative. Not so much regarding the Rec center but in terms of how BC compares itself to other universities and other financial details. I'd like to get my hands on minutes from a more recent meeting of this group.

P.s. I can't believe how much it costs to attend BC now!!! :shock:
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

They need a building permit... so, yes... they have to get one (and one won't be issued for the project without community discussion/plan amendment). That said, it is my understanding that they do not think they will be receiving much in the way of resistence from the locals. This doesn't suprise me as (a) it doesn't impact housing and (b) it takes away tailgating spots on Shea.

I don't think they have a building permit and are just sitting on it. I think they're taking their sweet time applying for one.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:45 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

BC will be dumb and require union labor.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

HJS I assume you have this info as a result of being asked to contribute ? Were you told anything in regards to location (where on Shea) or the full scope of the project (i.e. Anything other than weight room such as locker rooms, training rooms, etc). Any info to planned start or is it foolish to think that may happen untill the Rec Plex is finished
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:14 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

BC will be dumb and require union labor.

Don't get fucking corners started on this again damnit
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

The last sentence made me chuckle, nice work HJS.

People forget this can't be a metal shack with a football field inside of it. It needs to look visually appealing from the outside since it's going to become a big part of campus. It probably needs to be brick on the outside, etc.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:25 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

HJS I assume you have this info as a result of being asked to contribute ? Were you told anything in regards to location (where on Shea) or the full scope of the project (i.e. Anything other than weight room such as locker rooms, training rooms, etc). Any info to planned start or is it foolish to think that may happen untill the Rec Plex is finished

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:People forget this can't be a metal shack with a football field inside of it. It needs to look visually appealing from the outside since it's going to become a big part of campus. It probably needs to be brick on the outside, etc.

The building would be immediately adjacent to the Beacon Street garage... it would essentially run the length-wise the full span (approximately 90k sq ft). What would normally be perceived to be the front/back of the building would face Beacon and the access road running along Beer Can Hill. Schematics are of a true "field house"... it has a rounded metal roof... brick facade with the top 25% being windows. The potential weight room looks to be an attached building (i.e. not taking up space in the main field house) and is all glass facing what would be Shea practice fields (with a decent indoor view of the mock Naval Battles on the Res). As field houses go, it is nice, but it ain't something that you are going to take a graduation picture in front of... think more utilitarian like O'Neill and less Bapst... more Conte Forum and less Alumni Stadium. While the outside looks nice, it ain't $50mm. I think the layout of the interior space will be what will likely drive the cost (lighting, sound system, ventilation, big screen TV). However, I haven't seen anything about that (outside of the MS Paint pics that accompanied the announcement).

Fuck Bates... he sucks. But, getting something built is a challenge unlike that of any peer school. First, monies have to be on hand before shovels go into the ground. Second, to even request funds, there needs buy-in University-wide (BC won't allow rogue capital drives... as it believes donors have a finite pool allocated to BC and a gift to the IPF takes away from a gift otherwise considered for another University project). Third, BC has the unique permitting process on what they can and can't do on its own land. Finally, with builds, there are aesthetic considerations that are meant to assure shit like McElroy, Carney, Higgins and McGuinn don't happen again. BC isn't far off from getting this thing up. I'd wager if they announced a new AD, they would quickly have the $10mm in hand. Think about this... BC donors so believe in this cause that they have surrendered $40mm to a lame duck, uber-shitty AD (who hopefully won't be there for the ribbon-cutting to thank you).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:People forget this can't be a metal shack with a football field inside of it. It needs to look visually appealing from the outside since it's going to become a big part of campus. It probably needs to be brick on the outside, etc.

The building would be immediately adjacent to the Beacon Street garage... it would essentially run the length-wise the full span (approximately 90k sq ft). What would normally be perceived to be the front/back of the building would face Beacon and the access road running along Beer Can Hill. Schematics are of a true "field house"... it has a rounded metal roof... brick facade with the top 25% being windows. The potential weight room looks to be an attached building (i.e. not taking up space in the main field house) and is all glass facing what would be Shea practice fields (with a decent indoor view of the mock Naval Battles on the Res). As field houses go, it is nice, but it ain't something that you are going to take a graduation picture in front of... think more utilitarian like O'Neill and less Bapst... more Conte Forum and less Alumni Stadium. While the outside looks nice, it ain't $50mm. I think the layout of the interior space will be what will likely drive the cost (lighting, sound system, ventilation, big screen TV). However, I haven't seen anything about that (outside of the MS Paint pics that accompanied the announcement).

Fuck Bates... he sucks. But, getting something built is a challenge unlike that of any peer school. First, monies have to be on hand before shovels go into the ground. Second, to even request funds, there needs buy-in University-wide (BC won't allow rogue capital drives... as it believes donors have a finite pool allocated to BC and a gift to the IPF takes away from a gift otherwise considered for another University project). Third, BC has the unique permitting process on what they can and can't do on its own land. Finally, with builds, there are aesthetic considerations that are meant to assure shit like McElroy, Carney, Higgins and McGuinn don't happen again. BC isn't far off from getting this thing up. I'd wager if they announced a new AD, they would quickly have the $10mm in hand. Think about this... BC donors so believe in this cause that they have surrendered $40mm to a lame duck, uber-shitty AD (who hopefully won't be there for the ribbon-cutting to thank you).

I certainly wouldn't expect a field house to look gorgeous, but I've said before when BC builds stuff it generally looks nice (see the new Comm Ave Building).

The new student rec center won't hurt matters either because even football players play pickup basketball, etc.

Good for them if this actually happens it'll look nice.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:28 pm

What's wrong with Higgins?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:10 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:What's wrong with Higgins?

Higgins now is beautiful. But, it didn't always look that way. About 15-ish years ago, it looked like McGuinn built into the side of a hill. The renovation was more extensive than that of Fulton (20-ish years ago).

Fucking nerds. Probably don't even know that Higgins stairs used to go straight up and none of this pussified zigzag with resting areas.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:13 am

20 million dollars of union labor, 20 million dollars of exposed brick, 5 million of astro turf. am i doing this rite?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:46 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Higgins now is beautiful. But, it didn't always look that way. About 15-ish years ago, it looked like McGuinn built into the side of a hill. The renovation was more extensive than that of Fulton (20-ish years ago).

Fucking nerds. Probably don't even know that Higgins stairs used to go straight up and none of this pussified zigzag with resting areas.

Fucking millennials even complain about the "million dollar steps"

My one complaint, and I am sure many of you share this with me, is the sheer number of stairs that I’m required to take everyday when I walk to class from lower campus. With a loaded backpack, cold wind blowing in my face, and a lack of caffeine, I am in no way ready to exert any effort, especially at 8 am. Honestly, I would prefer to save my stair climbing for the Plex, where it’s okay to be sweaty and out of breath. Because of this, I am here to give you ten ways to avoid taking the Million Dollar Stairs, or to at least make the trip a little more enjoyable.

Poor baby, lose some fat chubby.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:47 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Fucking millennials even complain about the "million dollar steps"

My one complaint, and I am sure many of you share this with me, is the sheer number of stairs that I’m required to take everyday when I walk to class from lower campus. With a loaded backpack, cold wind blowing in my face, and a lack of caffeine, I am in no way ready to exert any effort, especially at 8 am. Honestly, I would prefer to save my stair climbing for the Plex, where it’s okay to be sweaty and out of breath. Because of this, I am here to give you ten ways to avoid taking the Million Dollar Stairs, or to at least make the trip a little more enjoyable.

Poor baby.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:24 am

HJS is right about "rogue fundraising" not happening, but that is where athletic development has to identify new donors. He is also right that this IPF will not cost 50 million or $555 per square foot. That is the cost to construct an office tower in Boston! They could be looking for the additional money to pay for the annual operating cost of the IPF.

I knew they would site the building alongside the garage as it will cover up the ugly garage. I hope that they consider replacing the Upper deck on that side with club seats and new luxury boxes. The garage could have direct access into the club house. It's a prime opportunity while they have the donors attention to make those improvements to the stadium. This will give them increased revenue out of that deck which is at least one third empty for most games. Less seats, but at a much higher ticket price.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:36 am

First... why do they call it the Million Dollar Stairs?
Second... why don't the fatties take the fancy elevators (circa 1994) installed in the Comm Ave Garage?
Third... while this was built only 15 years ago, why not go through Maloney Hall (where they can grab a coffee in preparation for the dreaded 10 ft long bridge that connects to O'Neill)?

Nerds are the worst.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:46 am

I think the tour I took said the stairs were rumored to have cost $1 million or something. That and they're heated. About all I know about them.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:20 am

HJS {l Wrote}:First... why do they call it the Million Dollar Stairs?
Second... why don't the fatties take the fancy elevators (circa 1994) installed in the Comm Ave Garage?
Third... while this was built only 15 years ago, why not go through Maloney Hall (where they can grab a coffee in preparation for the dreaded 10 ft long bridge that connects to O'Neill)?

Nerds are the worst.

When I was there a decade or so ago the Comm Ave Garage elevators had just given way to the Hillside Elevators. Hillside Elevators to 12 or something and then you have to climb like 3 flights through the library. By far the most popular route from lower to upper. Nobody HAS to climb all those stairs.

Anyway, nerds!
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:47 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I think the tour I took said the stairs were rumored to have cost $1 million or something. That and they're heated. About all I know about them.

HEATED??? WTF, now you know whey BC cant come in under budget on anything. They are stairs, no one is hanging out on them.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium