Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:30 am

I'm with Keeper in that FB and BB are unlikely to see any significant uptick with the elimination of sports. Maybe BB gets their own S&C coach and maybe we add admin support to be less of a clownshoes operation. But, it ain't like we are suddenly will go hire Jay Wright (or Schiano).

I am, however, in favor in killing sports like tennis and swimming and diving to add a lacrosse team. I think we could be elite in lax just by offering it as a varsity team. We'd have the whole prep school thing in our favor. It is also a sport that people would actually watch. I think we should be looking to cut sports that we are never competitive in (and tennis and aquasports certainly qualify).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:43 am

i don't know, there are a number of fans on this board that i would guess like watersports.

i am not one of them
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:37 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i don't know, there are a number of fans on this board that i would guess like watersports.

i am not one of them

I thought you drove away the majority of the hot tubbers?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i don't know, there are a number of fans on this board that i would guess like watersports.

i am not one of them

I thought you drove away the majority of the hot tubbers?

wrong agenda. leahy, bates, sarge and jimmy mac drove the masses away, including the great soaked but still unwashed
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:51 am

BC is not going to be instantly good in lax because they have prep school douchebags from LI. At that sport, coaching ties matter as much as anything.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:23 pm

Timing is everything and cutting sports after the globe article is poor timing. You cannot just look at sports offered in comparing schools. The best measure is scholarships offered. BC offers a total of 270 scholarships (85 football, 13 hoops, 18 hockey, 11 baseball and 8 for all other men's sports). Cutting sports will not reduce the number of scholarships given in any significant number. The savings would be in cutting coaches and equipment. I would add facilities as well, but they were never built.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Timing is everything and cutting sports after the globe article is poor timing. You cannot just look at sports offered in comparing schools. The best measure is scholarships offered. BC offers a total of 270 scholarships (85 football, 13 hoops, 18 hockey, 11 baseball and 8 for all other men's sports). Cutting sports will not reduce the number of scholarships given in any significant number. The savings would be in cutting coaches and equipment. I would add facilities as well, but they were never built.

Unfortunately, if what everyone says here is correct in regards to the schools accounting of athletics scholarships, the amount saved would be material (assuming BC offers the max scholarships per NCAA reg). Say you were to cut swimming/diving (24 total allowable scholarships per NCAA for both M and W), Golf (10.5 total allowable scholarships for M/W), tennis (12.5 scholarships for M/W), skiing (13 total for M/W) and Track (30 total for M/W) you are looking at 90 scholarships. At 60k per scholarship, thats $5.4 mm per year (that number goes to $7.2mm if you eliminate Cross Country as well). Factor in coaching salaries, off campus practice space (skiing/golf/track), the cost of building to maintain certain sports (would BC include an indoor tennis portion to the new rec plex ? outdoor courts ? somewhere for golf to practice year round on campus ?), the cost savings becomes quite large.

And why cant you look at other schools offerings ? It would seem that schools in the same conference, that make similar money, and allocate said money to a smaller number of sports, would be a very pertinent metric to look at.

The timing of the globe article means nothing. If anything, it helps BC at least say our department is too bloated and we need to allocate resources to a focused/smaller number of sports to put our revenue sports on an even playing field and in the best position to win. If BC cuts sports tomorrow, nobody remembers or cares 5 years from now.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:27 am

Scholarships are a garbage number to use for expenses.
a. It doesnt cost $60k for a BC education. It probably costs, $40k and $20k in financial assistance. (those are the numbers at Duke)
b. Many of these kids would have received financial aid anyway.
c. Does it really cost anything to add 2-3 kids to every classroom.

The savings is in coaches salaries/equipment/travel.

Cut men's teams down to a minimum: (85 football, 13 hoops, 18 hockey, 11 baseball and 8for all other men's sportssoccer) 5 men's teams unless anyone else can support themselves or be national championship quality.

Women will be more diverse due to the need to offset football, but the rest even out. Find 85 women's schollies on cheap sports to put out there. (add more soccer and softball scholarships if possible) You can have a full woman's swimming and diving program and track and field program.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:16 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Timing is everything and cutting sports after the globe article is poor timing. You cannot just look at sports offered in comparing schools. The best measure is scholarships offered. BC offers a total of 270 scholarships (85 football, 13 hoops, 18 hockey, 11 baseball and 8 for all other men's sports). Cutting sports will not reduce the number of scholarships given in any significant number. The savings would be in cutting coaches and equipment. I would add facilities as well, but they were never built.

Unfortunately, if what everyone says here is correct in regards to the schools accounting of athletics scholarships, the amount saved would be material (assuming BC offers the max scholarships per NCAA reg). Say you were to cut swimming/diving (24 total allowable scholarships per NCAA for both M and W), Golf (10.5 total allowable scholarships for M/W), tennis (12.5 scholarships for M/W), skiing (13 total for M/W) and Track (30 total for M/W) you are looking at 90 scholarships. At 60k per scholarship, thats $5.4 mm per year (that number goes to $7.2mm if you eliminate Cross Country as well). Factor in coaching salaries, off campus practice space (skiing/golf/track), the cost of building to maintain certain sports (would BC include an indoor tennis portion to the new rec plex ? outdoor courts ? somewhere for golf to practice year round on campus ?), the cost savings becomes quite large.

And why cant you look at other schools offerings ? It would seem that schools in the same conference, that make similar money, and allocate said money to a smaller number of sports, would be a very pertinent metric to look at.

The timing of the globe article means nothing. If anything, it helps BC at least say our department is too bloated and we need to allocate resources to a focused/smaller number of sports to put our revenue sports on an even playing field and in the best position to win. If BC cuts sports tomorrow, nobody remembers or cares 5 years from now.

but if we are using all 85 for football, all 13 for hoops and all 18 for hockey then that only leaves 19 men's scholarships that you can cut and just as many lady scholarships only if you cut that 19.

really you are talking about cutting baseball because the other 8 mens scholarships we offer are not material.

you are assuming the bc is maxing out their scholarships on all sports but that math doesn't add up. you can only get to 270 but your math takes it much higher than that. remember that half of your schollies need to be title ix... so football requires a lot of lady swimmers, divers and field hockey players
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:32 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

but if we are using all 85 for football, all 13 for hoops and all 18 for hockey then that only leaves 19 men's scholarships that you can cut and just as many lady scholarships only if you cut that 19.

really you are talking about cutting baseball because the other 8 mens scholarships we offer are not material.

you are assuming the bc is maxing out their scholarships on all sports but that math doesn't add up. you can only get to 270 but your math takes it much higher than that. remember that half of your schollies need to be title ix... so football requires a lot of lady swimmers, divers and field hockey players

Corners mentioned the 270 number, I'm not sure what that means or where it came from. I also have no clue how BC allocates scholarships, I was just going off of what is allowed by the NCAA. The sports I listed above were done so because they both have M/W elements, so in theory, by eliminating the sport for both M/W, the title IX legislation would not be an major issue (of course it wouldn't work out perfectly, but provides a basic framework).

I actually agree with Duchesne, I think taking the men offering down to 5 main sports and figuring out what women's sports to keep to remain compliant, is the way to do it (maybe you keep sailing as they have been nationally succesful with low cost because of the regionality of the sport).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:51 am

Multiplying scholarships x $60K under any circumstances related to costs of athletics or potential "savings" of real money should result in immediate revocation of a BC diploma.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:53 am

from the ff website:

The Flynn Fund Scholar-Athlete Program:
In lieu of a multi-year commitment for an endowment, one may choose to participate in the Flynn Fund Scholar-Athlete Program. With a gift of $25,000, a donor may fund the scholarship of a single student-athlete in any athletics program for an entire year. The gift provides the University with resources it can use immediately to provide financial-aid to one of our 700+ student-athletes.

http://flynnfund.bceagles.com/giving-information.html
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:56 am

Also, I do not believe that Title IX requires a 1:1 ratio in either #of scholarships or total scholarship value. I believe that is a fallacy perpetuated by programs cutting men's sports. What you cannot do is be 50/50 in athletes and spend 70% of the budget on men.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:05 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Multiplying scholarships x $60K under any circumstances related to costs of athletics or potential "savings" of real money should result in immediate revocation of a BC diploma.

oh, i agree. that doesn't mean the school agrees, though
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:31 am

1. The 270 number was correct. Not sure if it still is but my guess is yes.
2. BC interpretation of Title IX which I assumed was based in some legalese is that the ration of men's scholarships to women scholarships as well as the participation ratio (roster sizes) must be representative of the overall campus gender breakdown which used to be 53:47 women.
3. Cutting men's olympic sports will not save much money nor will BC use that money to pour into the revenue sports. To think otherwise is a pipe dream. There's as much a chance as BC hiring a Nick Saban as there is BC filling in the corners. At least under the current administration.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:1. The 270 number was correct. Not sure if it still is but my guess is yes.
2. BC interpretation of Title IX which I assumed was based in some legalese is that the ration of men's scholarships to women scholarships as well as the participation ratio (roster sizes) must be representative of the overall campus gender breakdown which used to be 53:47 women.
3. Cutting men's olympic sports will not save much money nor will BC use that money to pour into the revenue sports. To think otherwise is a pipe dream. There's as much a chance as BC hiring a Nick Saban as there is BC filling in the corners. At least under the current administration.

Cutting men's Olympic sports in the hope that the savings are funneled into FB and BB is ridiculous. Any hypothetical monies saved would go to pairing down other "costs" the school feels like it subsidizes.

I'm only in favor of killing off mens programs that suck and, in their place, adding new sports that we wouldn't suck as much in. So, for instance, I would prefer to have a men's lax program instead of skiing, swimming/diving and tennis.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm with Keeper in that FB and BB are unlikely to see any significant uptick with the elimination of sports. Maybe BB gets their own S&C coach and maybe we add admin support to be less of a clownshoes operation. But, it ain't like we are suddenly will go hire Jay Wright (or Schiano).

I am, however, in favor in killing sports like tennis and swimming and diving to add a lacrosse team. I think we could be elite in lax just by offering it as a varsity team. We'd have the whole prep school thing in our favor. It is also a sport that people would actually watch. I think we should be looking to cut sports that we are never competitive in (and tennis and aquasports certainly qualify).

Greg Schiano is not a good coach. For the love of God HJS...

Is he a family member or something?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:23 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm with Keeper in that FB and BB are unlikely to see any significant uptick with the elimination of sports. Maybe BB gets their own S&C coach and maybe we add admin support to be less of a clownshoes operation. But, it ain't like we are suddenly will go hire Jay Wright (or Schiano).

Greg Schiano is not a good coach. For the love of God HJS...

Is he a family member or something?

only in the same way that manson family was a family
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:50 pm

BC only gives out 270 scholarships and I believe it is evenly split between men and women. The most women's scholarships are in crew.

The point is that without cutting football, basketball, hockey, baseball or soccer, there is no substantial scholarship savings in cutting the other men's sports. The problem is not on the expense side of the ledger, it's on the revenue side. They need to sell tickets and merchandise, two things that they suck at.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:54 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:BC only gives out 270 scholarships and I believe it is evenly split between men and women. The most women's scholarships are in crew.

The point is that without cutting football, basketball, hockey, baseball or soccer, there is no substantial scholarship savings in cutting the other men's sports. The problem is not on the expense side of the ledger, it's on the revenue side. They need to sell tickets and merchandise, two things that they suck at.

If you win, they will come, you just need to win first. Its an investment.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:28 am

I cannot imagine a college athletics program that does not have basic track-and-field type sports. And no, Hansen did not pay me to say this.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 am

They don't have a track. Or a field, really.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 am

The University will also seek permitting for new baseball, softball and intramural fields on the Brighton Campus, which were also approved in the 2009 IMP.

In addition, Bates stated that the University will begin discussions with Boston city officials regarding construction of an athletics field house that would be located adjacent to Alumni Stadium. This indoor facility, to be funded through private gifts, would provide much-needed space for varsity football and other field sports, as well as campus recreation, club sports, and intramurals.

1) What is the status of the permitting process for the new fields on Brighton Campus?

2) How are the discussions going with the city officials regarding the indoor practice facility?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I cannot imagine a college athletics program that does not have basic track-and-field type sports. And no, Hansen did not pay me to say this.

Especially considering BC built the reservoir for our sailing program.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:32 am

North Dakota just announced they are dropping baseball and men's golf. The below article says the cuts will save the athletic department 720k annually.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4007776-watch-und-athletics-announces-elimination-baseball-mens-golf
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:37 am

I'm dropping my chores of mowing the lawn and shoveling the driveway. Because paying the neighbor's kid would have cost $40 bucks each to do it, 10-12 times a year, my deciding not to do it myself anymore just saved me approximately $1,000.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm dropping my chores of mowing the lawn and shoveling the driveway. Because paying the neighbor's kid would have cost $40 bucks each to do it, 10-12 times a year, my deciding not to do it myself anymore just saved me approximately $1,000.

Just because you have no clue how capital budgeting works within an organization doesn't mean you have to lash out at the rest of us every time reality disrupts your fantasy-Teddy-world.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:35 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm dropping my chores of mowing the lawn and shoveling the driveway. Because paying the neighbor's kid would have cost $40 bucks each to do it, 10-12 times a year, my deciding not to do it myself anymore just saved me approximately $1,000.

Just because you have no clue how capital budgeting works within an organization doesn't mean you have to lash out at the rest of us every time reality disrupts your fantasy-Teddy-world.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:01 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

Perfect meme.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium