Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Postby ILikeBC on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:48 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I was tempted to start a flame war by posting the three words "I blame Obama" in the comment section. But then I decided I don't like arguing with stupid so I decided against it.

They'd probably just tell you to shutup
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:14 pm

This is a great exchange:

Ellen B Zockoff What about a new pool? What will happen to the BC swim team!??
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 hrs
Boston College
Boston College Hi Ellen - there will be a pool in the new recreational center.
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 hrs
Ellen B Zockoff
Ellen B Zockoff Excellent..Howver, will the BC Men's and Women's team still exist?
Like · Reply · 5 hrs
Boston College
Boston College Yes.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Mayor Walsh is on campus tonight
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:32 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You guys will find the negative in anything, it is awesome.

While I agree this won't be built tomorrow, they wouldn't be releasing it like this if they didn't know it was happening - both the cash and the approvals - even if they aren't yet all locked up.

I do think the location of the practice facility is telling. Not that there would be any better place, but Walsh seems to be the best guy to deal with.

As is so often the case, it's not what's said, but what isn't that speaks volumes. Note
well that the primary contributor to the new intramural/ student athletic center was noted and publicized. No such associated name given for the indoor football center. Re-read the announcement, and it seems clear that the football facility portion is lip service. I am confident that two years from now we will be no closer to an indoor facility than we are today after this "revelation".

I think BC had this in their pocket for when 0-18 happens. After getting embarrassed in the national media and last nights disaster, I think they felt they had to release it

This is interesting. The last second Monday press conference seemed to come out of nowhere...
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:37 pm

Once the fieldhouse is up, and i assume two practice fields adjacent to it, where will Shea Field tailgating be moved to? Where will BC move the parking on lower Brighton after the baseball and softball fields are built.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:comments on bc's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BostonCollege/?fref=ts

despite the fact that bc repeatedly said the project was privately funded, reading proved to be difficult for the bern's

Holy Christ that FB page is cringeworthy, the level of stupidity is shocking

this was my fav...

Anne Williams: Or we could invest money in making BC actually accessible for students with disabilities. Or catch up to the 21st century with an LGBTQ+ Resource Center. Or work on our abysmal financial aid system. But nah this sounds good too
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby ckoub01 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:07 pm

The bitter baseball players are another great part of that post. That and the futile call for LAX, gymnastics, women's hockey (another team presumably), and a McGuinn elevator.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I hate some people that hold a bc diploma:

William Stefan Labahn
Why not use this for scholarships and help bring down the obscene cost of tuition and room and board?

Anne Williams
Or we could invest money in making BC actually accessible for students with disabilities. Or catch up to the 21st century with an LGBTQ+ Resource Center. Or work on our abysmal financial aid system. But nah this sounds good too

Paul Gerard Schmid
Maybe the Univ. should follow Bernie's lead and give students free tuition?

I don't have Facebook, will someone who does inform William Stefan that he'd have to have money for anyone to give a shit that he wasn't going to donate it (if this doesn't make sense, read the rest of his comments)?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:15 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Once the fieldhouse is up, and i assume two practice fields adjacent to it, where will Shea Field tailgating be moved to? Where will BC move the parking on lower Brighton after the baseball and softball fields are built.

More than likely, they're going to try and turn the Brighton Campus into tailgating central. If done correctly, it has major potential.

I've always had a stupid idea that BC build a pedestrian bridge over Comm Ave. The game day traffic gets snagged up because the cops have to stop traffic for people to cross the street.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:15 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I hate some people that hold a bc diploma:

William Stefan Labahn
Why not use this for scholarships and help bring down the obscene cost of tuition and room and board?

Anne Williams
Or we could invest money in making BC actually accessible for students with disabilities. Or catch up to the 21st century with an LGBTQ+ Resource Center. Or work on our abysmal financial aid system. But nah this sounds good too

Paul Gerard Schmid
Maybe the Univ. should follow Bernie's lead and give students free tuition?

I don't have Facebook, will someone who does inform William Stefan that he'd have to have money for anyone to give a shit that he wasn't going to donate it (if this doesn't make sense, read the rest of his comments)?

Do you have a message you could pass onto Anne?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ckoub01 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:20 pm

William Stefan Labahn That's not the point: use the money-whatever the source-for scholarship aid. No one who attends BC should leave owing the crushing debts that is incurred. it's a university, not a sports team.

According to William, BC should solicit private donations for the fieldhouse then pull the bait and switch funds to scholarship aid once the money is handed over. This is about as sustainable an operating model as everything Bernard has proposed over the past 6 months.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:41 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:Once the fieldhouse is up, and i assume two practice fields adjacent to it, where will Shea Field tailgating be moved to? Where will BC move the parking on lower Brighton after the baseball and softball fields are built.

More than likely, they're going to try and turn the Brighton Campus into tailgating central. If done correctly, it has major potential.

I've always had a stupid idea that BC build a pedestrian bridge over Comm Ave. The game day traffic gets snagged up because the cops have to stop traffic for people to cross the street.

If Brighton became a main tailgate spot, you would have to do something like that, it would become an even bigger nightmare than it is now (which more than anything is caused by the police being semi-retarded). We come in that way and it can be really bad with the people from the T, even 3 hours prior to kick when the tailgate lots open up.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:50 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

If Brighton became a main tailgate spot, you would have to do something like that, it would become an even bigger nightmare than it is now (which more than anything is caused by the police being semi-retarded). We come in that way and it can be really bad with the people from the T, even 3 hours prior to kick when the tailgate lots open up.

When the Brighton Campus was initially purchased there were plans circulating that included a pedestrian bridge over the B Line. I even seem to recall a MBTA proposal to completely redo the Boston College stop on the B line to avoid the swarm of pedestrians crossing a 4-lane death trap.

Nothing came of it...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:00 am

I think BC was just looking for some positive news thus the announcement. The student rec center and baseball stadium have already been announced several times. I do not count spending money on a student rec center as investing in varsity athletics. A real athletics facility master plan sbould include renovations to the stadium and Conte.

Shea Field will just add another practice field and the rest should be for parking/tailgating. Construction of the indoor football building will not start until 4th Q 2018.

I don't see how anyone on the academic side can complain about building a student rec center. Flynn rec plex is a negative in recruiting students . It's a dump and expensive to run and maintain. The new building will be very energy efficient and a center piece of lower campus student life.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:02 am

nah you guys are confusing it with the monorail in the master plan
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:30 am

brighton is certainly going to be the hub of tailgating. i don't tailgate there but i've heard good things (i do park on lower brighton and it's a good set up).

interestingly read somewhere that made it sound like Edmonds is coming down this summer, can anyone CONFIRM? stayed there for reunion last may, what a fucking hellhole
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:40 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I don't blame the cops on this one. Trying to get people, the T, and cars through that area is a nightmare. If you had the pedestrian bridge it would eliminate all of this nightmare.

This is obvious, but BC needs to build the new baseball and softball stadiums before the indoor facility can begin.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:43 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I think BC was just looking for some positive news thus the announcement. The student rec center and baseball stadium have already been announced several times. I do not count spending money on a student rec center as investing in varsity athletics. A real athletics facility master plan sbould include renovations to the stadium and Conte.

Shea Field will just add another practice field and the rest should be for parking/tailgating. Construction of the indoor football building will not start until 4th Q 2018.

I don't see how anyone on the academic side can complain about building a student rec center. Flynn rec plex is a negative in recruiting students . It's a dump and expensive to run and maintain. The new building will be very energy efficient and a center piece of lower campus student life.

I'll disagree here a bit. Even football players are going to want a nice student recreation complex. Those guys play pickup ball, intermurals, etc. Getting rid of that hideous structure next to Alumni and putting up a new student recreation center can only help when recruits are on campus.

The shit you're talking about with Alumni and Conte simply doesn't matter to recruits and is stupid when you're drawing 25,000 for football and 1,500 for basketball
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 am

Elimination of fans tailgating on Shea Field midway through the second quarter is probably the second best thing to come from all of this.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:56 am

so when this goes thru...plex -> edmonds, edmonds demolished -> displaced students go to the graveyard dorm and 2000...what is going in where the plex is?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby NaturalLight on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:comments on bc's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BostonCollege/?fref=ts

despite the fact that bc repeatedly said the project was privately funded, reading proved to be difficult for the bern's

Holy Christ that FB page is cringeworthy, the level of stupidity is shocking

this was my fav...

Anne Williams: Or we could invest money in making BC actually accessible for students with disabilities. Or catch up to the 21st century with an LGBTQ+ Resource Center. Or work on our abysmal financial aid system. But nah this sounds good too

I need to vent because, unlike the 40+ crowd that has just discovered facebook and doesn't quite understand that no one wants to read your status updates on how your divorce is going, I have some semblance of self-control.

Anne's comment was totally tone deaf. BC is still needs blind which is rare these days. I came from a low income background to BC and they gave me more in total aid (vast majority were grants) than my in state public university. Financial aid is working obviously could be better but if you decide you want to pay $60K a year for a teaching degree that at most will pay you $45K coming out of school, that's your fault for being bad at making decisions.

I understand the handicap accessible claim, but every building that is going up is more handicap accessible than the last. The campus was built into a cliff and large hill. They're working on it.

If what Bates says is true and all or the vast majority of this is being donated by private donors earmarking it for athletics, then she has no argument. Stop being stupid and thinking everyone has the same priorities as you. People value things differently. I like sports. That doesn't mean I dislike gay people. It just means that when I donate my money every year to BC I want it spent on things that directly impact me. I majored in fingerpainting and masturbation just like the rest of the A&S students, but I still make enough money to donate to BC every year. Maybe instead of bitching about other people spending their money and making things happen, she should do the same. Or join the fundraising team to help raise money explicitly for things you like.

Sorry for rant but sheesh, facebook is cancer.
NaturalLight
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:so when this goes thru...plex -> edmonds, edmonds demolished -> displaced students go to the graveyard dorm and 2000...what is going in where the plex is?

green space or something
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:17 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:so when this goes thru...plex -> edmonds, edmonds demolished -> displaced students go to the graveyard dorm and 2000...what is going in where the plex is?

green space or something

Rumor has it you can't build there anyway.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:23 am

more mods
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2014 Eagle on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:31 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I know a lot of the young alumni (specifically the 2015 grads) have made tailgating by the STM on Brighton their thing instead of Shea, and it is almost universally considered better than Shea tailgating.
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:34 am

2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I know a lot of the young alumni (specifically the 2015 grads) have made tailgating by the STM on Brighton their thing instead of Shea, and it is almost universally considered better than Shea tailgating.

Is "riding the pony" permitted on Brighton Campus?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I think BC was just looking for some positive news thus the announcement. The student rec center and baseball stadium have already been announced several times. I do not count spending money on a student rec center as investing in varsity athletics. A real athletics facility master plan sbould include renovations to the stadium and Conte.

I'll disagree here a bit. Even football players are going to want a nice student recreation complex. Those guys play pickup ball, intermurals, etc. Getting rid of that hideous structure next to Alumni and putting up a new student recreation center can only help when recruits are on campus.

The shit you're talking about with Alumni and Conte simply doesn't matter to recruits and is stupid when you're drawing 25,000 for football and 1,500 for basketball

Bolded comment is very true. Football players go to the Plex all the time. I was a senior when Harold was on campus as an early enrollee. Kid was always lifting at the Plex.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:49 am

2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
I know a lot of the young alumni (specifically the 2015 grads) have made tailgating by the STM on Brighton their thing instead of Shea,.

Where?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:00 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

green space or something

Rumor has it you can't build there anyway.

I think you missed when Tokyo said hello
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:06 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
I know a lot of the young alumni (specifically the 2015 grads) have made tailgating by the STM on Brighton their thing instead of Shea,.

Where?

The big parking lot in front of the STM library
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium