Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:07 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
I know a lot of the young alumni (specifically the 2015 grads) have made tailgating by the STM on Brighton their thing instead of Shea,.

Where?

upper brighton, the lot towards comm ave in front of the library
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:07 am

I can get behind moving all tailgating to Brighton campus, but they would have to get that pedestrian bridge done for it to work. The neighbors should embrace the pedestrian bridge, as well. That intersection is a horrible and is best avoided for pedestrians.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:31 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:so when this goes thru...plex -> edmonds, edmonds demolished -> displaced students go to the graveyard dorm and 2000...what is going in where the plex is?

green space or something

Rumor has it you can't build there anyway.

Father Leahy told my buddy this. Whether it's true or not who knows
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:03 pm

my only complaint is that the announcement wasn't 2 years ago with the assumption that these facilities would have garnered us talent superior to where we are now and would have prevented us from being the first program going ooh-fer in football and basketball since the kaiser stole our word for twenty

oh, and i'm also complaining about the morons on facebook because they are eaglekeeper stupid, only in the opposite agenda direction
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:20 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:my only complaint is that the announcement wasn't 2 years ago with the assumption that these facilities would have garnered us talent superior to where we are now and would have prevented us from being the first program going ooh-fer in football and basketball since the kaiser stole our word for twenty

oh, and i'm also complaining about the morons on facebook because they are eaglekeeper stupid, only in the opposite agenda direction

Facilities isn't why BC sucks at sports. Win some games and guys are willing to overlook the facilities angle. If you continue to suck then yes you're going to need really nice facilities
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:27 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:The fact that people are complaining in this thread is laughable. This announcement is very good anyway you want to look at it.

I'm complaining because a good deal of this announcement is a rehash of something we were presented with 7 years ago and is being used to overshadow the fact that they haven't made headway on any of these projects since first announcing them.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:37 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:The fact that people are complaining in this thread is laughable. This announcement is very good anyway you want to look at it.

I'm complaining because a good deal of this announcement is a rehash of something we were presented with 7 years ago and is being used to overshadow the fact that they haven't made headway on any of these projects since first announcing them.

...and the fact that the one part of the announcement that deals with a floundering football program has not been presented for approval and does not have financing. Oh, and they're going to be asking for donations to fund the fieldhouse in the midst of a freefall by the football and basketball teams. Other than that, this announcement is A-OK!
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:41 pm

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

...and the fact that the one part of the announcement that deals with a floundering football program has not been presented for approval and does not have financing. Oh, and they're going to be asking for donations to fund the fieldhouse in the midst of a freefall by the football and basketball teams. Other than that, this announcement is A-OK!

Considering we have one of the most inept AD's in the country, literally the worst P5 Football and Basketball programs and get no media coverage in a top 10 media market, I consider this a win. And by this, I mean getting mentioned in a positive narrative (whether false or not) in the national media.

Regarding your point about this being old news, I agree but it's still positive on the whole. Without this news, BC athletics would not get positive media coverage until midway through next football season. And they have been lying to all of the baseball players for 8+ years, showing recruits renderings and continually making the promise that the stadium would be finished in "2 years" every single year.

Coaches have been doing this in all sports for years.
Here's news in case they didn't know it already: Coaches lie to get commits.
Jesus, people can be really stupid sometimes.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:10 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:brighton is certainly going to be the hub of tailgating. i don't tailgate there but i've heard good things (i do park on lower brighton and it's a good set up).

interestingly read somewhere that made it sound like Edmonds is coming down this summer, can anyone CONFIRM? stayed there for reunion last may, what a fucking hellhole

Edmonds is definitely coming down this summer.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:20 pm

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:brighton is certainly going to be the hub of tailgating. i don't tailgate there but i've heard good things (i do park on lower brighton and it's a good set up).

interestingly read somewhere that made it sound like Edmonds is coming down this summer, can anyone CONFIRM? stayed there for reunion last may, what a fucking hellhole

Edmonds is definitely coming down this summer.

is hansen and/or his foot going to be involved?

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:28 pm

When I was trying to decipher BC's Brighton Campus dick drawing (aka baseball/softball stadium) and looking at google maps, I was reminded of a question I had about campus.

Does anyone know what the purpose of "MDC Park" is next to Shea Field. It is the fenced in hill framed by Shea, Campanella Way and St. Tomas More Road. Does that piece of land serve a function and why has BC not leveled it yet as its a prime space near Alumni.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Given that MDC stands for Mass. Department of Conservation, I'd say that it is not BC's to level.

EDIT: MDC was the Metropolitan District Commission that was merged with another org to form the DCR. They are in charge of state parks and water supply protection, so I think the land there is tied to the reservoir in some manner.

Regardless, we should be working with them if only to get the clearance for the Mock Naval Battles.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:39 pm

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby ckoub01 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:57 pm

Cordoning off a few hundred feet of land split from the reservoir by a major road is really keeping Massachusetts beautiful and ecologically diverse.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:00 pm

ckoub01 {l Wrote}:

Cordoning off a few hundred feet of land split from the reservoir by a major road is really keeping Massachusetts beautiful and ecologically diverse.

since it is uphill from the reservoir (I think), it may be so a bunch of shit doesn't flow down into the reservoir.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:01 pm

ckoub01 {l Wrote}:

local middle school and high school kids need someplace to lurk, smoke weed and/or fingerbang. let's not get too selfish.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:01 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:When I was trying to decipher BC's Brighton Campus dick drawing (aka baseball/softball stadium) and looking at google maps, I was reminded of a question I had about campus.

Does anyone know what the purpose of "MDC Park" is next to Shea Field. It is the fenced in hill framed by Shea, Campanella Way and St. Tomas More Road. Does that piece of land serve a function and why has BC not leveled it yet as its a prime space near Alumni.

My understanding is that under there is where a few major pipes come together and/or emergency pumps for water pressure. I don't have the patience to search the intertubes for confirmation of what I was told years ago. Although this map does seem to show the major split in the pipes coming into the Boston area to be right at BC:

http://www.mwra.state.ma.us/annual/waterreport/2014results/images/2014watermap.png
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:53 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
ckoub01 {l Wrote}:

local middle school and high school kids need someplace to lurk, smoke weed and/or fingerbang. let's not get too selfish.

Fingerbang, haven't heard that one in a while. Well done
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:01 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:When I was trying to decipher BC's Brighton Campus dick drawing (aka baseball/softball stadium) and looking at google maps, I was reminded of a question I had about campus.

Back in the day, that land was known as Beer Can Hill. There was a triangle of land, "The Triangle" between Beer Can Hill and the reservoir, on which the earliest tailgaters would park their cars (free) and have raucous tailgates.

There were no arrival restrictions, you could park there many hours before the games. And for several years, there was a homeless guy who lived on Beer Can Hill and used the many beer cans and other various trash to make decorations and spruce up his home. Ahhhh, the good old days.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:21 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Back in the day, that land was known as Beer Can Hill. There was a triangle of land, "The Triangle" between Beer Can Hill and the reservoir, on which the earliest tailgaters would park their cars (free) and have raucous tailgates.

There were no arrival restrictions, you could park there many hours before the games. And for several years, there was a homeless guy who lived on Beer Can Hill and used the many beer cans and other various trash to make decorations and spruce up his home. Ahhhh, the good old days.

First time I ever heard "Beer Can Hill" was when Campion used wax about it. I never noticed the space when I was at BC (pre nerdification, post Campion).
I have heard from knowledgeable sources that it is pretty important property for the water flowing into Boston and BC will never get it.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby basselope on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:56 pm

That area and hill has been there forever.
It was there even before they filled in the Lawrence Basin.

basselope
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:14 pm

1. When did the chestnut hill reservoir get listed as on the National Register of Historical places.
2. Why is the res listed there?
3. Does this improve / lessen are chances of finally holding mock naval battles there?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:40 am

BC has tried to buy Beer Can Hill for decades. There is a pump that provides water to fill the reservoir. The reservoir is no longer a source of water for Boston . Without wasting water filling the reservoir it will dry up. BC offered to leave access to the pump via an easement, but still no sale. The 3.5 acres serves no purpose other than open space.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:46 am

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Maryland has been in the news today for starting construction on the Cole Fieldhouse renovation into a football building. I really hope BC trys to take a page out of what UMD is doing whenever they build the IPF and make an attempt to add a new locker room and possibly football specific weight room (use the current space in Yawkey for something else for FB program) and not just take the easy way out on this

BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:49 pm

I really hope BC doesn't do the IPF on the cheap. It doesn't have to be on the scale of MD but it has to be a top notch facility. Also, there's no reason BC shouldn't be investing money into Alumni to make it the best small stadium in CFB.

About the MD facility, those look like elevated outdoor fields. I wonder how many car accidents will be caused by balls that fly over the walls to the streets below.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:15 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:I really hope BC doesn't do the IPF on the cheap. It doesn't have to be on the scale of MD but it has to be a top notch facility. Also, there's no reason BC shouldn't be investing money into Alumni to make it the best small stadium in CFB.

About the MD facility, those look like elevated outdoor fields. I wonder how many car accidents will be caused by balls that fly over the walls to the streets below.

When BC actually decides to build things they do it correctly. That Comm Ave building looks beautiful
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:35 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:I really hope BC doesn't do the IPF on the cheap. It doesn't have to be on the scale of MD but it has to be a top notch facility. Also, there's no reason BC shouldn't be investing money into Alumni to make it the best small stadium in CFB.

BC definitely needs to make sure the IPF is solid for a while to come. As to renovating Alumni, that I disagree with. It's fine and frankly isn't pressing when we average 2/3 capacity.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:42 am

what in the world do people want them to do to alumni to make it significantly better?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium